Becky's Bron Fadog, Caerwys Wales Page

Bron Fadog, Caerwys, Flintshire, Wales Page

Mike Owens the current owner of "The Bron Fadog" [pronounced as Bron Fadoc] has thought's that the house was to have been built by Dr. Thomas Wynne's father Thomas ap John Wyn around 1600. I am not sure if that would be the case as Dr. Thomas Wynne's father, Thomas ap John Wyn, [baptized December 26, 1589] would have been eleven years old in the year 1600. With the dating of the house being 1600, it more than likely was built by his grandfather John ap Rhys who was baptized in 1570 and died in 1638.

John ap Rhys would have been thirty when he built the Bron Fadog in 1600. He had married Grace Morgan on October 29, 1588 at the Bodfari Church, Ysceifiog, Flintshire, Wales. He would already have had his three children; Thomas ap John Wyn [baptized December 26, 1589], Mary verch John [baptized March 10, 1589/90] and Jane verch John [baptized June 09, 1595]. All the children show to have been born in Ysceifiog, Flintshire, Wales. So when the Bron Fadog was built John ap Rhys already had a wife and three children.

There is a smaller house next to the larger main house and this is regarded as a "Dower House" built possibly in 1675 [as the date in the plaster shield found on the wall by Mike Owens suggests]. Mike Owens has a theory that this was possibly built by either Dr. Thomas Wynne or one of his five brothers as they would have obviously needed their own homes.

At Thomas ap John Wyn's [Dr. Thomas Wynne's father] death at age 44 on October 07, 1633, he left his wife on the Bron Fadog estate alone to raise their six children. The children were of the following ages: Anne Elizabeth Wynne, 16 years old [baptized June 28, 1617]. Harrie Wynne 14 years old [baptized November 20, 1619]. Edward Wynne 11 years old [baptized April 09, 1622]. John Wynne 8 years old [baptized April 13, 1625]. Thomas Wynne [Dr.] 6 years old [baptized July 20, 1627]. Peeter Wynne 3 years old [baptized January 30, 1630/31]. This would place in 1675 [date the "Dower House" is shown to be built] Thomas ap John Wyn's oldest son Harrie to have been 56 years old, Edward 53 years old, John 50 years old, Then Dr. Thomas Wynne would have been 48 years old.

This brings us to a tradition of the time, the eldest living son enheriting the estate on the death of the father. The Eldest son taking on the responsibility of his mother if living, providing for her until her death and or remarriage. This would have put Harrie Wynne in possession of the Bron Fadog or if not living one of the other brothers as Dr. Thomas Wynne's position in the family was the fifth child and fourth son. We do not know how long Harrie lived nor do we know if he even stayed on the farm, same with his brothers. We do know there wasn't extra funds for the children after the fathers death and that is why Dr. Thomas Wynne had to provide his own living as a apprentice Cooper. We also do not know how long his mother lived or even her name. We can only presume that she was of the same age as her husband, so it is fair to say in 1675 she would have been approximately 86 years old. Well beyound the normal life span of the time, making it safe to say she no longer was living nor had possession of the Bron Fadog.

The Term "Dower House" normally would have been a dwelling occupied by, and possibly built for, the widow of the last holder of a manor, and possibly her minor children. Often, of course, this would have been the mother of the current holder, or perhaps an aunt-by-marriage. Oxford English Dictionary: 1. The portion of a deceased husband's estate which the law allows to his widow for her life. tenant in dower, the widow who thus holds land. {dag} lady of dower, dowager lady.

A Dower is that part of the estate passed to the widow for her lifetime. She is sometimes called the Doweress or Dowager, the latter especially when she has a title which is now shared with her d-in-law, and to distinguish them she becomes the Dowager Lady Snooks or whatever. When her husband dies, the eldest son who inherits moves into the main house with his wife, and it was (still is for some) the custom for the widowed mother-in-law to move out. A house was taken over or built for her nearby on the estate which might be formerly called '(The) Dower House', especially if used for that purpose over a number of generations. - Paul Moynagh

This makes us wonder about the term "Dower House" as in who was the woman it was built for.

We do know that Dr. Thomas Wynne was apprenticed as a cooper in 1644 when he was 15 years old, probably causing him to leave the community. We know he had almost finished his medical training and was in Wrexham, Denbighshire, Wales when he became a Quaker between 1654 and 1655. He married his first wife Martha Elizabeth Buttall in 1655 in Wrexham, Denbighshire, Wales. Dr. Thomas Wynne also satisfied Dr. Walter Needham and Dr. Hollins of his competence and was duly licensed as a qualified barber-surgeon during the year 1659. We know that he had his first four children; Mary 1659, Tabitha 1661, Rebecca 1662 and Sidney 1664 all born in Wrexham, Denbighshire, Wales. Which demonstrates that Dr. Thomas Wynne was not living in the Bron Fadog probably from 1644 until 1665. But returned in time for his fifth child Hannah to be born in 1666 and Jonathan Wynne to be born in 1669 at the Bron Fadog.

There are records that show "On 1 December 1661, Thomas Wynne, Brian Sixsmith, Nathaniel Buttall [Wynne's brother-in-law], William Lewis, a corvisor, John ap Edward, a butcher, and several others were dragged from their meeting-house by soldiers and charged with unlawful assembly. They were taken with a mittimus from constable to constable and were eventually thrust into the common gaol at Ruthin. Wynne may have remained there for six years." The comment about his having remained in prison for six year can not be so when you look at the dates of his children's births. Tabitha was born in 1661, that date is not a problem with the prison dates. Then it was demonstrated that Rebecca was born in 1662, which also could be so as they were imprisoned in December of 1661 so she could have been born as late as September of 1662 if her mother conceived right before Dr. Thomas Wynne was imprisoned. From December 1661 to 1667 would cause the children; Sidney born 1664 and Hannah born in 1666 almost impossible keeping with the thought that he was imprisoned for six years. I believe a more accurate time frame for his stay in prison would be from December 1661 until very early 1664, approximately three years.

The records show; "Following his release, after a lengthy imprisonment, in the mid-sixties, Wynne established a practice as a barber-surgeon in the small market town of Caerwys. He became one of the 128 private traders in Wales who are known to have issued private tokens in order to supply themselves and their customers with mall change. Prior to 1672 no official copper coinage existed in England and Wales and private traders therefore made their own arrangements. Wynne's token - a brass penny - bore an unusual design: a towel shadowed by a pair of forceps and flanked by molar teeth. He soon acquired a name for himself for his skill in mending fractured and dislocated bones, in tending wounds caused by gunshots or rapiers, and in soothing ulcers and cancers. 'Yea,' he claimed in 1679, 'many Scores are living Monuments of Gods Mercy to this day, who were Spectacles of great misery in these respects."

The local historian Hazel Formby has confirmed to me that Dr. Thomas Wynne had a practice in the town of Caerwys until he left for America in 1682. So we know that he live in the Bron Fadog from 1666 until he left in 1682 at fifty-five years of age.

In the 1670's Dr. Thomas Wynne's home at Bron Fadoc outside of Caerwys, County Flintshire and Richard ap Thomas's home in Whitford were strong points of the Quaker Movement in County Flintshire. These two Quaker gentlemen took on the responsibility of building up membership, organizing meetings and burial places 'for ye people of God'. Bound together by their disciplined life of godliness, gravity and self-denial, and by their common experience as a persecuted minority, the members of Wynne's household clung to the social values and conventions of Quakerism. 'God's despised people' were characterized by their plain language and their use of the pronouns of address 'thee' and 'thou"

Dr. Thomas Wynne's missionary work caused him to be brought before the Court of Great Sessions on various occasions between September 1673 and August 1680. He was charged with being a Quaker, for not coming to church, for following [his] own sensuallity, for holding a conventicle in his house, and for inducing his neighbors 'to desist from the true Protestant Religion'.

Richard Moore of Shrewbury, the gentleman who had helped Dr. Thomas Wynne with his training for his medical license, died in 1676. His son Mordecai Moore needed financial assistance and had shown an aptitude for medical science. Eventually Mordecai Moore was apprenticed to Dr. Thomas Wynne for seven years [1675 - 1682], £10 was paid in advance and another installment of £8 or £9 from the quarterly meeting. Mordecai Moore served part of his apprenticeship under Dr. Thomas Wynne's [1] care before emigrating in the early 1680's to Pennsylvania, where he subsequently married Deborah, daughter of Thomas Lloyd of Dolobran, and settled down to a comfortable living at South River in Maryland. In 1687, Mordecai sent ten pounds to Shropshire Friends in 'grateful Acknowledgment of friends kindness to him when he was young'.

Dr. Thomas Wynne made it hard for Thomas Griffith, Vicar of Caerwys and Humphrey Pugh, Vicar of Ysgeifiog to keep their parishioners. During the 1670's The London Second Day Morning Meeting of ministers, under the direction of the Yearly Meeting, found one of Dr. Thomas Wynne's works verbose, ungrammatical and 'very difficult to read.' Dr. Thomas Wynne had great personal charm but was not a scholar, he was taught hands on not via books. Martha Elizabeth [Buttall] Wynne died between 1669 - July 1676 in Wales. Dr. Thomas Wynne following the death of his first wife, Martha, had married for the second time on July 20, 1676, winning the hand of Elizabeth Maude of Rainhill, Lancashire, England.

Dr. Thomas Wynne who was living in the Bron Fadog could very well have built the second building in 1675 as a "Dower House" for his wife to use upon the occurance of his death at a later date. I am told this was not unusal for a man to build a secondary home for his spouse to live in once he was gone so his eldest child could take over the main residence as his enheritance. The "Dower House" is next to the main house and could have been used for the extra room for the additional family that was to come with his "wife to be" Elizabeth Chorley Rowden Maude whom he married in July 20, 1676. She brought to the marriage her daughters Elizabeth Rowden aged 12, Jane Maude aged 9, and Margery Maude aged 5. Which meant there were Dr. Thomas Wynne's children by his first wife Martha Elizabeth Buttall Wynne; Mary Wynne 16 years old who married in 1677, Tabitha 14 years old, Rebecca 13 years old, Sidney 11 years old, Hannah 9 years old and Jonathan 6 years old. That is a total of nine children and two adults in the home in 1676, not counting if any other family members lived there.

I do not know if Elizabeth Chorley Rowden Maude Wynne brought any of the stepchildren of the deceased husband Maude with her also, as both of their parents would be dead. But I have not seen any records showing them with them after the marriage so they may have gone to live with their grandparents? If they did come with her there is another group of children; Penelope Maude 17, Joshua Maude 14, Sarah Maude 15, Joyce Maude 13. Which would mean a total of 13 children and two adults. I highly doubt if the step children of Elizabeth Chorley Rowden Maude Wynne came with her because the only child we hear of in the records is Joshua Maude and only briefly. It speaks of her husband Joshua Maude: "By him she had a son named Joshua [Jr.], who remained in Wakefield; a daughter Jane, who removed to Pennsylvania and was married to a man by the name of Willbank, [Is this an error for Wiltbank. Helminus Wiltbank, a Swede, was a very early settler] but died without issue, and a daughter Margery. The latter married." Again I highly doubt they came with them in the marriage, I believe the stepchildren of Elizabeth's marriage to Maude stayed in Wakefield.

Dr. Thomas Wynne's 2nd marriage is shown: "Extracts at Devonshire House and from the original book at Somerset House, Lancashire Meeting Records, Monthly Meeting at Hardshaw East". Thomas Wynne, of Carwis, in the County of Flint, in Wales, Chirurgeon and Elizabeth Maud, of Rainhill, in Lancashire, were joyned together in marriage ye 20th day of ye 5th month 1676 at John Chorley's house in the presence of Alexander Chorley, ffaith Chorley, John Chorley, Alice Southworth, John Barnes, Ester Sixsmith, Bruen Sixmith, Sarah Gandy, Sam: Dunbabin, Bridget Wilson, John Southworth, Alice Dunbabin, William Crowdson, Margaret Dunbabin, James Wright, Mary Southworth, William Sixmith, Alices Barnes.

Also in July of the same year [1681] Humphrey Pugh urged William Lloyd Bishop of St. Asaph, to prevent Dr. Thomas Wynne from holding assembly at his home each Sunday. We find this speaks of Bishop of St. Asaph William Lloyd trying to convince Dr. Thomas Wynne [1] to give up being a Quaker. This Richard Davies is the same Richard Davies who was with Dr. Thomas Wynne and is discussed in a letter written by William Lloyd, Bishop of St. Asaph to John Edwards in March of 1681. Where it states: 'If there be any hope of gaing him [i.e. Wynne], wrote Lloyd to John Edwards in March 1681, 'I would not obstruct it by doing anything hastily'. In other words Lloyd himself was anxious to exercise his persuasive powers on the recalcitrant Flintshire Quaker. Richard Davies, in his very interesting autobiography, writing of one of his visits to North Wales in 1681 says: "I acquainted my friend William Penn and some Friends that I intended to give Bishop Lloyd a visit." [This was Dr. William Lloyd, who had been in charge of St. Martin's in London, afterwards bishop of St. Asaph.] "I went to my friend Thomas Wynne's, who lived in Caerwys, in Flintshire, not far from the bishop's palace, and he went with me. When we came there the bishop's secretary came to the gate. I asked him whether the bishop was within; he said he was… The Bishop sent for us, in there were several Clergymen with him, among the rest the dean of Bangor… We went soon to dispute about water-baptism. I told them, there was one Lord, one faith and one baptism… So this and such like discourse, held us till it was late at night, and then I went to my friend's house."

Dr. Thomas Wynne's continued contact with Bishop William Lloyd through the winter of 1681-2. "Believing that the bishop 'should have all ye help yt possible thou can', he supplied him with Quaker literature and a written testimony justifying his separation from the church. Wynne promised to renounce Quakerism if Lloyd was able to prove the apostolic basis of the established church. Lloyd's characteristic reply was that if he could not do so he himself would join the Quakers. 'This, indeed', Wynne exclaimed, 'was very nobly said.'

On March 4, 1681, the Quaker William Penn received a charter, signed by Charles II, bestowing upon him the province, which would henceforth bear the name 'Pennsylvania'. Seven Welsh companies were formed, lying chiefly in Merion, Radnor and Haverford on the West Side of the Schuylkill River and to the northwest of Philadelphia. In partnership with the Denbighshire yeoman, John ap John, Dr. Thomas Wynne [1] purchased 5,000 acres on 15 September 1681 for the initial sum of £100 and an annual quit-rent payable on 1 March to William Penn, Deed dated 15 September 1681. Both Wynne and ap John acted as trustees or agents for prospective settlers in Wales, and Penn was happy to accede to this arrangement since it was his wish that land should be made available to the 'have-nots' as well as the 'haves'.

Dr. Edward Jones with Mary [Wynne] Jones his wife and the daughter to Dr. Thomas Wynne and family came to America on August 13, 1682 on The "Lyon of Liverpool, John Compton, master.

In London Newspapers: "The Loyal Protestant", and "True Demestick Intelligence", or "News both from City and Country", "The Epitome of the Weekly News" it tells of William Penn and his ships leaving for America August 26, 1682. William Penn was a newsworthy character in England, thanks to his upper-class status, his association with the despised Quakers, and his new colony in America.

The London newspapers of 1682 were small affairs, with little room for news, but two journals reported William Penn's departure for Pennsylvania from Deal, Kent, an anchorage eight miles north of Dover. His ship, the "Welcome", did not sail until 31 August 1682, but it's "lading," or loading, began several weeks before that date. As early as 7 July 1682, passengers arranged for the storage of their belongings; William Penn himself had L1449 in household goods and retail merchandise on board. Details of the Welcome's actual journey to America are few, but we do know that William Penn's ship had a much worse crossing than most of the other ships arriving in Pennsylvania during the 1680's. Thirty-one "Welcome" passengers died of smallpox on the way over.

"This day William Penn, Esq., took his leave of his friends and departed the town, in order to his voyage to Pennsylvania, of which place he is proprietor, having taken along with him many families and others who are gone to settle themselves in that colony. It being in all probability likely to prove a most plentiful and pleasant place to live in. Being Wednesday, the wind east-northeast. William Penn, Esq., sole proprietor and governor of Pennsylvania, went on board the Welcome, in order to his voyage for that province, accompanied with his wife and others to Dover Road, where they parted. There are ships from several parts preparing to go, and likewise another ship from London, on the account of the Free Society of Traders in Pennsylvania. [The "Jeffery" of London carried workmen, a large amount of goods, and several officers of the Free Society of Traders, including President Nicholas More.] Which is already fallen down to Gravesend, [Gravesend, on the Thames, twenty-two miles east of London.] and is to follow after the 10th instant."

Dr. Thomas Wynne and his second wife Elizabeth [Chorley, Rowden, Maude] Wynne and his only son Jonathan Wynne came to Philadelphia, PA via the ship "Welcome" with William Penn.

The Welcome finally arrived at the old Dutch settlement of New Castle, Delaware, on 27 October 1682. At least thirty passengers never completed the journey. There are no ship lists, in the modern sense, for early English arrivals in Pennsylvania, such as are existant for German immigrants. Pursuant to a law passed at New Castle in 1684, however, directing inhabitants then in the Province, and those who should arrive thereafter, to register themselves, an attempt was made to list these first arrivals.

It is shown in the notes of things brought on board by Dr. Thomas Wynne. [August] Thomas Winn [Wynne]: 2 sacks, 3 tubs, 1 pot qty. 3/4 cwt. cheese; 1/2 barrel butter; 11/2 bushels oatmeal; 5 yds., frieze; 6 lbs. woolen cloth; 3 coverlets, wool and hair; 1 tub salt; cwt. dressed hemp; 1 pannier qty. 50 glass bottles, 1 twisting mill value L4 10s.

On the "Welcome" ship between August 1682 and Oct. 1682 Dr. Thomas Wynne [1] was witness to Thomas Heriott's Will. Thomas Heriott, Rochford's brother in law, of Hurstpierpoint, Sussex and First Purchaser of 5000 acres, died on the Welcome. Witnesses to his will were George Thompson, Dr. Thomas Wynne, David Ogden and Joshua Morris.

The Ship "Submission" left Liverpool, England on September 6, 1682 arrived on November 21, 1682. Rebecca Wynne daughter of Dr. Thomas Wynne and his first wife Martha Buttall Wynne, and Jane Maude age 15 and Margery Maude aged 11, daughters of Elizabeth [Chorley, Rowden, Maude] Wynne second wife and stepdaughters of Dr. Thomas Wynne where listed on the "Submission".

Dr. Thomas Wynne and his wife took up residence in Philadelphia, Philadelphia County, PA. Dr. Thomas Wynne was granted two city lots one between Claypoole Street and High Street, and other at Chestnut Street [Wynne street, became Chestnut Street changed in 1684].

Dr. Thomas Wynne wasn't happy with his lot on the Schuylkill side. He wanted to move to the mercantile community, which faced the docks where he would be better able to practice medicine. In September 1683 Dennis Rochford who had came over on the "Welcome" with Dr. Thomas Wynne started negotiations on the Delaware Front lot North of Wynne Street. Dr. Thomas Wynne let that negotiation go with Dennis Rochford because of delays and got his own warrant giving him two 51 ft. lots for himself and John ap John on the Delaware Front.

Dr. Thomas Wynne building a brick home in Philadelphia. Dr. Wynne had practiced his profession in London some years prior to his emigration to Pennsylvania. Soon after his arrival erected the first brick house in the city of Philadelphia, in his "Liberty Lot". This was surveyed to him in part of his right as a purchaser of two thousand and five hundred acres of land, two hundred and fifty acres of which had been laid out in the Welsh tract. His house was in Front Street above Chestnut Street, the latter being known for a time as Wynne Street, in his honor.

Nathaniel Allen had a home next to Dr. Thomas Wynne, this was built at great expense after a few years in a cave. It needs to be recognized that there were no buildings or homes in the area, Pennsylvania was raw land, and nothing was established. I have found no documents or articles that tell how Dr. Thomas Wynne and his family lived on those first days after arrival. Or when Dr. Thomas Wynne's house was built but from the things we do find it seems that it must have been built immediately. Being that his eldest daughter came a bit before him maybe they stayed with them after arrival and until their home was built on the West Side of Front Street south of Chestnut Street in what is considered the historical downtown Philadelphia area in 2001. Where as Nathaniel Allen seemed to want a quality more matching Dr. Thomas Wynne's home so he took a longer time to build his. After Holme had plotted and laid out lots in newly named Philadelphia Nathaniel Allen had a draft for a lot on Spruce Street. He seems to have kept to his cozy cave for some years while at great expense he built "a good home next to Thomas Wynne's" on the west side of Front Street south of Chestnut Street.

In the community of Friends in Philadelphia Dr. Thomas Wynne soon became one of the patrician pillars. He attended the first Monthly Meeting held in the city on January 9, 1683. He was appointed to a committee, which was instructed to find a place to build the Meeting House to figure out how it was to be built, and to arrange for the books 'for the service of Truth'. He was also appointed to committees to fence the burial ground, to raise money for the building of the Meeting House and for supervision of some of the work during the same year of 1683. By 1684 Thomas Lloyd, formerly of Dologran, claimed that there were 800 persons attending meetings in Philadelphia on first and weekdays.

On February 2, 1683 land was conveyed to Dr. Thomas Wynne's stepdaughter Margery Maud and her husband Thomas Fisher by Dr. Thomas Wynne's second wife and of Elizabeth [Chorley, Rowden, Maude] Wynne who is also the mother of Margery Maude.

The government established by William Penn gave him and the Council the most powerful rights. It was comprised seventy-two members. William Penn holding a triple vote within the Council, which itself held enormous legislative, executive and judicial powers. He also reserved the right to appoint all proprietary, provincial and county officers. With this he gave the most important offices to those first purchasers who had the most land and his friends. On 13 March 1683 Dr. Thomas Wynne was chosen Speaker of the Provincial Assembly. One of his first duties was to read the rules of conduct to which members of the lower house were expected to abide.

There is little doubt that William Penn, on the voyage, sought the assistance and advice of the Welsh patriarch and physician, in reference to the formation of the government of his province. As, after the preliminary Assembly held at Chester had called upon Penn to transmit his constitution to the Assembly to be held at Philadelphia, Dr. Thomas Wynne was selected a Speaker of the Assembly, and presided over it during the sessions in Philadelphia in 1682 and 1683.

The Speaker of the Provincial Assembly did not have to have a pristine record during those days. This is shown with the record that three days prior to his appointment as Speaker. [March 7, 1683] Dr. Thomas Wynne and Griffith Jones a fellow Justice and five others were presented at the Third Court of Philadelphia County charged with having broke the fortieth law of the Province. Selling and drinking strong liquors by retail, and allowing alcohol to be drank in their homes without a license.

Dr. Thomas Wynne and five others were appointed, to represent the Assembly on a committee that was to propose changes in the constitution. William Penn on April 2, 1683 signed a new constitution, the Second Frame of Government. He handed it to Dr. Thomas Wynne and James Harrison the representatives of the freemen of the provinces and territories. They in turn gave William Penn the original charter

Dr. Thomas Wynne carried his pacifist principles with him and like his fellow Quakers, sought to persuade the Delaware Indians of the virtue of passive resistance in the face of provocation. The Delaware Indians or the Lenni Lenape (meaning 'the common people') inhabited from lower New York and Long Island to Maryland. By the time of Dr. Thomas Wynne's arrival their numbers had been whittled down to about 8,000 as a result of the hostile fights with the Iroquois to the north, and also by white penetration from the east and the south.

On June 11, 1683, William Penn in his name as Governor and Proprietary of the Province of Pennsylvania appointed Dr. Thomas Wynne Commissioner as well as Christopher Taylor, James Harrison and Thomas Holme by letters dated 4th mo. 11th. 1683. William Penn appointed Christopher Taylor, James Harrison, Thomas Holme, and Thomas Wynne, Commissioners in his name, as Governor and Proprietary of the Province of Pennsylvania. To treat with the Governor and Council of West Jersey concerning the satisfaction he demanded of them in a letter of the same date, of which the Commissioners were bearers, for certain great wrongs and injustice done to them and his Province by some of the inhabitants of their colony. In the letter he complains that England was filled with rumors of wars between the inhabitants of Pennsylvania and Lord Baltimore's colony. Of Lord Baltimore having claimed all the land from Upland to the Falls of Delaware, and of several having been killed in the conflict. That these rumors, being much talked of in London, discouraged many persons from purchasing land in Pennsylvania; he says that the starting of these reports had been traced to some of the inhabitants of West Jersey, and he demands satisfaction.

Dr. Thomas Wynne was one of William Penn's trusted counselors, and had witnessed several land transactions with the Indians. He was present on June 23 1683 when 'Brother Onas' [William Penn] bought land between Neshaminy and Pennypack creeks from the Indian chiefs Metamequan and Tamany. The transaction was a formal and dignified occasion, the chiefs sat in the centre, flanked by sages, and each matter was fully discussed before agreement was reached. The bargain was sealed with the promise that both natives and white settlers would 'live in love as long as the sun gave light'. On the following day, lands running along Neshaminy Creek, were purchased from four other chiefs - Essepenaikes, Swampees, Okettarickon and Wessapoat, afterwards the chiefs dined with Penn and his associates including, presumably, Dr. Thomas Wynne. The Chiefs also attended a Quaker meeting as the guests of William Penn.

It is also shown in the actual documents, which are shown in their entirety when between June and July 1683 Dr. Thomas Wynne witnessed (signed) treaties with the Indians when William Penn created deeds. In June and July 1683, William Penn concluded a series of treaties with the Delaware Indians for lands along the Delaware River, south of the purchase of 15 July 1682 (doc.37) and west to and beyond the Schuylkill River. Doc 68 is one of the five extant deeds executed on 23 June 1683 for land in the vicinity of Neshaminy and Pennypack creeks in Bucks and Philadelphia counties. WP probably met with the Delaware sachems at Perkasie in late May, and the treaties were concluded in Philadelphia, where the Indian "kings" attended Quaker meeting and heard the traveling Quaker minister Roger Longworth preach.

Thomas Wynne was immediately attracted to the Delaware Indians, and his account is the first recorded description of them by a Welshman. He found them a benign, even-tempered people 'if there be not wronged & provoked', and a race which was happy to conform to the laws of the colony. Their one great weakness was alcohol. Irresponsible traders among the Dutch and the Swedes had plied them with strong liquors, especially rum, and in the First Assembly of 1682 a law was passed forbidding the sale of rum, brandy, or any kind of alcoholic beverages to the Indians.

Some of the Lenni Lenape still fell by the wayside, but what impressed Thomas Wynne was their willingness to accept punishment for their misdeeds. He told the tale of the Indian king who was committed to prison for one night by a justice of the peace on a charge of being drunk. Far from offering any resistance, this 'brave valiant king' went to prison 'meekly & quietly' and, on his release next morning, returned to the justice to thank him sincerely 'for sending him to yt warm house for he was drunk & he should a ben very could'. Wynne was also deeply impressed by the Indians' ability to distinguish between good and evil. In their own way they, too, worshipped a God, whom they called kee-shay-lum-meo-kawng (The Great Creator or The Great Manito). The Great Manito was believed to be present in all things and it was to him that all Indians addressed their prayers. Dwelling above the sun (Kissiuch peo), he was reponsible for sending them 'ye Raine the corne the fruits the venison the fowle & ye fish & every good thing'. Just as Christians believed in the Devil, so too did the Lenni Lenape believe that another king dwelt in a dark place under the earth (hacking pappi lemunggo), and that it was his wily stratagems that prompted their brethren to 'be drunk & fight & kill one an other'."

In Sept. 1683 the ship Morning Star left Liverpool, England carrying Elizabeth [Betty] Rowden, daughter of Elizabeth [Chorley, Rowden, Maude] Wynne and stepdaughter of Dr. Thomas Wynne. Also Dr. Thomas Wynne's daughters from his first marriage to Martha Buttall Wynne, Sidney Wynne and Hannah Wynne to America, arriving November 14, 1683.

January 9, 1683 Philadelphia Monthly Meeting (Arch Street) was established. The Trustees were appointed by the Friends' meeting, to select the site for the meeting house, Dr. Thomas Wynne was one of the four appointed. In the following it shows the actual document from the Minutes of the Philadelphia Monthly Meeting. The Quakers began meeting in Philadelphia as soon as the town was occupied. On 9 January 1683 they establish the Philadelphia Men's Monthly Meeting for business, which supervised financial and disciplinary matters for several Quaker meetings for worship in the Philadelphia area. The meeting met at Christopher Taylor's house on Front Street, between Walnut and Chestnut.

Philadelphia, January 9, 1683 The First meeting of Friends to treat of business occurring amongst themselves was at Philadelphia the 9th day of the 11th month being the 3rd day of the week in the year of 1682, the proceedings were of were as follows, viz., …2. A fit place to build a meeting house in this city, as also the manner and form of building it being taken into the consideration of Friends, the Whole was referred to the care and management of Thomas Holme. 1 John Songhurst, Thomas Wynne, and Griffith Jones or any three of them; and that the charge thereof shall be borne by this meeting consisting of the Friends belonging to the said city. 3. It is agreed and concluded that necessary books be provided for the service of Truth in the said meeting, and that the persons aforesaid take care therein. [note. John Songhurst (d. 1689), a carpenter originally of Chiltington, Sus., Thomas Wynne (d. 1692 a Welsh doctor and Quaker minister, and Griffith Jones (d. 1712), a prosperous glover of Bermondsey, Sur., were all First Purchasers and were prominent in the Pennsylvania government. Wynne was Speaker of the Assembly in 1683 and Later served on the Supreme Court.]

In the early months of 1684 the colonists were dissatisfied and were airing this more frequently. In January 1684, William Penn and the Council were given proposals by way of a petition that had been amended by Dr. Thomas Wynne, it was from a group of substantial citizens led by Anthony Weston. We do not know what was in the petition but it was rejected as being 'of great presumption and Contempt of this Government and authority'. The instigator, Weston, was ordered whipped three times at noon on market-day.

At the Philadelphia Monthly Meeting on July 1, 1684 Dr. Thomas Wynne told the Friends that he proposed to return shortly to Britain to solve some pressing problems concerning his estate in Flintshire. Dr. Thomas Wynne had outlined his troubles in a letter to Piers Pennant of Bychton the previous December 1683. Dr. Thomas Wynne's daughter Tabitha Wynne, and one Roger Hughes - 'a villain', claimed Wynne, 'as is hardly to be found unhangd in a country' - had attempted rob Dr. Thomas Wynne of his "goods and possessions" at Bron Fadoc after Dr. Thomas Wynne left for Pennsylvania. Piers Pennant in just the nick of time stopped Hughes from taking goods from Dr. Thomas Wynne's house in Caerwys. Dr. Thomas Wynne thanked Piers Pennant profusely and claimed that Piers Pennant's action 'shews thee to be the man yt deserved they character. Honest Peirs Pennant in every ones mouth & for thee now to be so to me yt lives about a 1000 leagues of three proves thee to be so.'

Elizabeth [Betty] Rowden [Step Daughter] who Dr. Thomas Wynne had left his estate at Bron Fadoc and his house at Caerwys under the care of, was thrown out by the "villainous" Hughes. Roger Hughes believed as Dr. Thomas Wynne put it 'because we were far ye Gallows would be far off also.' Roger Hughes had claimed Dr. Thomas Wynne's hay, corn, cows, horses, sheep, turkeys, geese and household goods, telling the world that Dr. Thomas Wynne was dead and had 'left debts more than [his] slate was worth'. Roger Hughes also had put Dr. Thomas Wynne's two young daughters Sidney Wynne and Hannah Wynne, with out any provisions on the ship Morning Star in September 1683. [On the same journey, Katherine, wife of John ap Thomas of Llaithgwm, Bala, lost two daughters at sea. J. J. Levick, 'John ap Thomas and his Friends',] ' Dr. Thomas Wynne raged furiously "He sent, 'my 2 poore little ones with onely rages on their backs without shoos on there feet. Betty was fain to teare her own coats to make them petycoats to keep them from starving at sea'. They arrived in Philadelphia, PA on November 14, 1683.

Dr. Thomas Wynne and his second wife Elizabeth [Chorley, Rowden, Maude] Wynne joined William Penn on the Ketch Endeavour on August 12, 1684 bound for England, after first attending the wedding of Elizabeth [Betty] Rowden, to John Brock, late of Bramhall in Cheshire. He had affiliated with the Philadelphia Monthly Meeting of Friends, and the records of that meeting show the marriage of his step-daughter, Elizabeth Rowden, to John Brock, was hurried somewhat at his request, so that he and his wife, the mother of the bride, who were about to embark for England, might be present at the ceremony, which took place August 5, 1684.

I am working with resources in Caerwys, North Wales to find out what came of Tabitha Wynn and Roger Hughes. At this time we only know that Dr. Thomas Wynne placed in his will "His errant daughter, Tabitha, who had, as Wynne cryptically remarked, 'already sufficiently partaken of my fatherly care and tenderness of her', was left the sum of fifty shillings 'as the last marke of my love".

On November 23,1684 Dr. Thomas Wynne was in London, he attending the funeral of friend, William Gibson, attended by more than a thousand mourners to Bunhill Fields. In December 1684 Dr. Thomas Wynne and twenty-three other Friends were making their way peacefully towards White-hart-court Meeting House when they were apprehended by several constables in Angel-court and thrust into prison. On December 8, 1684, they were brought before the magistrates at Guildhall, charged with causing a riotous assembly with force and arms in White-hart-court. The prosecution's evidence was that they were arrested in a common thoroughfare 'where a woman spake', her actual words not presented in court. The prisoners pleaded not guilty, claiming that they were merely passing through a thoroughfare and were not carrying arms or offering any threat to local citizens. Their plea of innocence was rejected, and they were fined four nobles each and committed to Newgate prison for three months.

After his release from the Newgate Prison Dr. Thomas Wynne and his second wife Elizabeth [Chorley, Rowden, Maude] Wynne are shown to have spent the summer in Caerwys. He was presented along with, Alice Evans of Caerwys and Robert Norris of Hawarden on August 17, 1685 before the Great Sessions for not attending church the three previous months. Shortly before his return to Pennsylvania around August of 1686, Dr. Thomas Wynne wrote a farewell epistle as a 'testimony of my endeared love' to the inhabitants of these islands. This document contains a personal testimony against carrying arms and waging war and a warm appreciation of the character and achievements of William Penn.

In the summer of 1686 Dr. Thomas Wynne sailed back to America. There he found that the Proprietor had been abandoned by many of his supporters. Pennsylvania was full of widespread disaffection over Penn's land disposal policies and his iniquitous quitrent scheme; and the private ambitions of colonists had led to some bitter rivalry over property and trade. Not least among the disaffected elements was the Welsh, for, as they lost their baronial rights of self-government, they were increasingly unable to maintain their separate identity.

Dr. Thomas Wynne opted for a quiet life. He sold his lot in Philadelphia to a cooper Philip Jones, for £71 and his 250-acre estate in Radnor to Howell James for £30. He settled on an estate he had purchased in Lewes, in Sussex County, on the Delaware River. After returning to PA from Wales in the summer of 1686. Dr. Thomas Wynne was commissioned as a Justice of the Courts of Sussex County, Delaware on April 3, 1687. He continued through the year 1688.

Dr. Thomas Wynne's commission as a justice of the courts of Sussex County was read. "By the President and Council of the Province of and Territoryes there unto belonging, to Oure Loving and Trusty Friend Thomas Wynne, Justice of the yeare for the County of Sussex, in the room of Thomas Langhorne, reposing confidence in thy allegiance to the King's authority and in the name of the Proprietary and Governor, appoint thee to bee Justice of the County of Sussex, Authorizing Thee to act as Justice of ye yeare both in Court or any part of that County. 13 daye 2nd Month, 1687. Thos. Lloyd, President."

In April 1687 Dr. Thomas Wynne was appointed Associate Justice of Sussex County, and in 1688 he was elected to represent his county at the Assembly which met on May 10,1688. He was appointed a justice of the peace in January 1690 and held the position of a provincial judge from September 1690 until his death in March 1692.

Dr. Thomas Wynne never returned to Wales that we can find record of. I have no idea who purchased the Bron Fadog from Dr. Thomas Wynne, but it was not mentioned in his will in 1691 so I would assume that it had changed hands before then. Maybe the current owner Mike Owen can help us out there?

Mike Owen has invited the Wynne-Genealogy-Society to be part of the opening ceremony's for the Bron Fadog that is being renovated into a bed and breakfast. The Wynne-Genealogy-Society has agreed and are making plans to be in Wales in 2003 for the grand event.

If you would like to see pictures of the Bron Fadog, please return to the menu up top of this page and look under the Wynne Genealogy Society, Bron Fadog for the picture tab.

The map below shows the current [2001] map of the area and Bron Fadog is marked with the Bryn Sion mark that is on the map as it is in the formal address.

bron fadoc picture

Message Board - Guestbook