pp. 762 - 767
The earliest movement towards the establishment of a bank in Jefferson County was made in 1807. A petition was sent to the legislature praying for a loan to the count of $150,000, on good landed security, in bills of credit to be made a legal tender. This was not granted, upon the ground that the constitution of the United States prohibited state governments from making anything but gold and silver coin a legal tender.
The Jefferson County National Bank was organized in 1816, with a capital stock of $50,000. The bank commenced business at Adams, but in 1821 was removed to Watertown. The building now occupied by the institution was erected about 1840. The changes made in the capital stock are thus noted: In 1816, $50,000; 1821, $80,000; 1836, $200,000; 1844, $148,000. Since the latter date the capital has remained the same. The surplus and profits are (1890) $318,500. In 1865 the bank was reorganized and made a national bank. Its presidents have been Frederick White, 1816 and ‘17; Jabez Foster, 1817 to 1820; Ethel Bronson, 1820 to 1824; Jabez Foster, 1825; Perley Keyes, 1826 to 1832; Micah Sterling, 1832 to 1834; O. Hungerford, 1834 to 1845; N. M. Woodruff, 1845 to 1855; Robert Lansing, 1855 to 1856; and Talcott H. Camp, elected in 1856, who continues in that position at the present time, and is the chief financial officer. The cashiers have been James Wood, 1816 to 1820; O. Hungeford, 1824 to 1833; O. N. Brainard, 1833 to 1866; Myers Thompson, 1866 to 1871; and S. T. Woolworth since the latter date. During the long period while Mr. Hungerford and Mr. Brainard were continued as cashiers, they were the chief financial officers. Since the death of Mr. Brainard, in 1865, T. H. Camp has uninterruptedly held the office of president, and has been the chief financial officer during all those years.
The history of this venerable institution has been marked by a career of usefulness to the public and to the growing prosperity of Jefferson County. It has pursued a wise policy of helpfulness and encouragement to its customers. By its able and conservative management it has won the confidence of the public, who are well assured of its ability to fulfill its obligations.
TALCOTT HALE CAMP. -- This genial and well-known gentleman, now at the age of 73 years, may regularly be found at his desk at the Jefferson County National Bank of Watertown, attending to his duties as president of that institution, which responsible position he has held for 34 years, for 25 years having had the entire management of its financial operations, under advice of an able body of directors. He has discharged his trust with conspicuous ability and success, and may well derive satisfaction from the knowledge that during these years the policy of the bank has been helpful, by its financial aid and personal encouragement, in developing the resources of Jefferson County; the stock-holders, meanwhile, having received regular and liberal dividends.
Mr. Camp was born in Utica, N. Y., and soon after his father, George Camp, removed with his family to Sackets Harbor, a place of activity and prosperity, where, in 1817, he printed the first newspaper of that village, called the Sackets Harbor Gazette. Sackets Harbor, however, failed to fulfill the prophecy of its friends in regard to its growth and prosperity, and this led many young men of that place to seek homes and occupation elsewhere. Mr. Camp was offered important positions elsewhere, but selected Watertown as a place of advancing growth and influence, and located there in the spring of 1840. He opened a drug and paint store in Loveland Paddock’s block, on Washington Place, and this prosperous business established by him has continued in the same locality for 50 consecutive years, for the last 25 years being conducted by George B. Massey and Mr. Camp’s son, Walter Hale.
Mr. Camp has been identified with numerous enterprises and corporations which have been influential in advancing the material, educational, and moral growth of his chosen residence. At an early day he advocated and assisted in the arduous attempt to build the railroad from Rome to Cape Vincent, and in 1863 was chosen one of the directors of the road, which office he held about 25 years, during seven of which he was its vice-president. The office of the treasurer of the corporation was located in Watertown, and its financial transactions were largely under the care and direction of Mr. Camp, and were so well supervised by him as to meet the hearty approval of the directors and stockholders. He has been connected with several manufacturing enterprises, but more intimately associated with the Watertown Steam Engine Company, continuing as one of its trustees for many years, and has aided in its growth until it has now become a large and flourishing concern, with one of the most extensive plants in the United States.
The Jefferson County Institute, an academy founded in 1837 by the Presbyterians and Congregationalists of the county, and for many years affording advanced educational advantages to the youth of both sexes, found in Mr. Camp a friend and supporter. For 40 years he has been one of its trustees, and is now its president; but the building, library, apparatus, etc., are leased to the city, and used by the High School, in the system of graded schools under the direction of the board of education. Mr. Camp is one of the trustees and officers of the Jefferson County Savings Bank, an institution eminently useful in encouraging persons of moderate income to deposit a portion of their earnings to accumulate and become a sure source of supply for future wants. This bank has paid no salaries to its trustees, their only compensation being the satisfaction they enjoy from the knowledge that the institution has become strong, popular, and helpful.
Mr. Camp has not been desirous of political preferment. As a patriotic citizen he has always sustained the laws and institutions of his native land; but in no sense has he been a narrow-minded partisan. Although eminently qualified, by business and executive ability and unimpeachable integrity, to fill positions of trust and responsibility in the gift of the people, he has left the race for office to be run by others. From the time of his coming to Watertown he has been a member of the First Presbyterian Church, a Christian institution recognized for its beneficient influence and generous charities, to which Mr. Camp has been a liberal contributor. On June 3, 1847, Mr. Camp was married to Ann Elizabeth Sewall, daughter of Henry D. Sewall, a man noted for his public spirit and mental ability. Her mortal life ended June 3, 1888, just 41 years from the day of her marriage, and her memory is cherished by three worthy sons, namely: Fred Sewall, who resides in Norwich, Conn., and is interested in a large cotton-mill there; Walter Hale, who resides in Watertown, and is of the firm of Camp & Massey; and George Van Santvoord, who also resides in Watertown, and is connected with the Jefferson County National Bank.
Mr. Camp is still not only active and engaged in many business pursuits, but is also prominent in social and literary circles. He is a charitable and kind-hearted Christian gentleman, and is ever ready to offer counsel and substantial aid to the numerous deserving ones who seek his advice. His physical and mental activity warrant the belief and hope that he has many more years of usefulness yet before him.
Smith T. Woolworth, cashier of the Jefferson County National Bank, is a native of Lewis County, and was born in 1849. His parents, Gilbert E. and Elizabeth (Smith) Woolworth, were representatives of old families of this section of the state. Mr. Woolworth began his banking experience as clerk in the Exchange Bank of Carthage, and in 1865 came to Watertown, where he has since resided. He was connected with several firms, as book-keeper and teller, and in 1870 entered the Jefferson County Bank, and since 1871 has served as cashier and teller. Mr. Woolworth is treasurer of the Central Park Association on the St. Lawrence, and a director of the Electric Light Company of Watertown.
The National Bank and Loan Company was organized as the Watertown Bank and Loan Company, in September, 1849, with a capital stock of $75,000, and in 1865 it was reorganized and converted into a national bank. The present capital is $75,000, with a surplus fund of $25,000. The officers of this institution have been as follows: Presidents, George C. Sherman and C. A. Sherman; cashiers, P. V. Rogers, Charles Strong, C. A. Sherman, N. P. Wardwell, and C. L. Parmalee.
George H. Sherman is a native of Watertown, and a son of George C. and Mary A. (Hubbard) Sherman. George C. Sherman came from Rhode Island to Jefferson County and was admitted to the bar. (A sketch of his life appears in the chapter devoted to the Bench and Bar. Note: to be typed at a later date by this typist) George H. is also an attorney. He studied law with his father, and was admitted to practice in 1855. He was for several years in practice with John Lansing, but since 1863, has devoted his attention to his banking interests. He is a trustee of the Davis Sewing Machine Co., the Orphans Home, and the City Hospital.
The Jefferson County Savings Bank was chartered in 1859, its first president being James I. Steele. During its long business career it has maintained an untarnished record, and has served all its depositors faithfully and honestly. The building is substantially built of stone, is two floors in height, and occupies an area of about 30 x 70 feet in dimensions. The assets of the bank amount to $1,504,864.86, of which $152,064.15 is surplus, the amount due to depositors being $1,352,800.17. This sum is chiefly invested in real estate, mortgages, government, state, and city bonds, and in the selection of which absolute security has been the first consideration. The present officers are Frederick Emerson, president; Talcott H. Camp, first vice-president; S. B. Upham, second vice-president; G. H. Sherman, secretary; and George Smith, treasurer. The first four gentlemen named, in conjunction with Messrs. George B. Phelps, A. M. Farwell, E. Q. Sewall, D. W. Baldwin, Alden F. Barker, J. A. Sawyer, Ross C. Scott, H. M. Stevens, George W. Wiggins, and N. P. Wardwell, form the board of trustees. They are all gentlemen of prominence in the commercial and professional circles of the city, and the scrupulous care with which they have guarded the funds placed at their disposal, and the success which has attended their management, indicate not only their ability, but that they duly appreciate the responsibilities of the trust which has been reposed in them, and that they enjoy the reward of knowing that the Jefferson County Savings Bank is regarded as one of the most reliable savings institutions in the state.
The National Union Bank was organized as the Union Bank, June 10, 1852, with a capital stock of $100,000, and the following board of directors: Henry Keep, W. K. Hawks, C. F. Symonds, Abner Baker, Washington Gennet, Merrill Coburn, Luther G. Hoyt, John Bradley, John Sigourney, Alexander Copley, W. H. Moffett, Anson Ranney, and W. N. Woodruff. In 1865 the bank was reorganized and became a national institute, and since 1854 has conducted its business at No. 14 Washington street. The capital stock (1889) was $147,440, with a surplus fund of $36,860, and undivided profits to the amount of $22,300. The directors for 1890 are W. W. Taggart, A. H. Sawyer, Ross C. Scott, S. B. Upham, I. P. Powers, A. C. Middleton, W. W. Conde, A. D. Remington, Henry Spicer, O. P. Hadcock, O. B. Cadwell, H. F. Inglehart, and Albert Fish. The presidents have been: Henry Keep, 1852; W. K. Hawks, 1854; Abner Baker, 1856; Merrill Coburn, 1865; Alanson Skinner, 1874; Gilderoy Lord, 1877; A. H. Sawyer, 1889; W. W. Taggart, 1890. The vice-presidents have been: W. K. Hawks, 1852; Abner Baker, 1854; John White, 1856; James K. Bates, 1865; G. Lord, 1874; John A. Sherman, 1877; W. W. Taggart, 1882; A. H. Sawyer, 1890. The cashiers have been: George S. Goodale, 1852; Samuel B. Upham, 1856; and Addison L. Upham, 1890, assistant cashier.
Samuel B. Upham, who has been identified with the National Union Bank over 30 years, is a native of Massachusetts, where he was born in 1819. At the age of 10 years he became a resident of Jefferson County, and at the age of 18 he left the farm and began his business life as a clerk in a store at Rodman, where he remained until 1841, when he came to Watertown. He commenced as an assistant with O. C. Utley, and after two years of service was admitted as a partner. Mr. Utley sold out his interest in 1848, to J. A. Sawyer, and this firm continued until 1854. In 1856 Mr. Upham became cashier of the bank, where he devoted his entire attention until 1890. He is a director and vice-president of the Jefferson County Savings Bank, and is a director of the Watertown Steam Engine Co., the Thermometer Co., the Orphans Home, Brookside Cemetery, and of the Carthage, Watertown & Sackets Harbor Railroad Company.
The Watertown National Bank was organized in 1882, and has a capital stock of $100,000, with a surplus and undivided profits (March, 1889) of $70,000. George W. Knowlton is president; Sidney Cooper, vice-president; and N. P. Wardwell, cashier. The directors are G. W. Knowlton, S. Cooper, J. Mullin, G. B. Phelps, A. Bushnell, E. D. Babcock, H. Fuller, S. F. Bagg, G. W. Wiggins, A. D. Remington, and B. B. Taggart.
The City National Bank of Watertown, with a capital stock of $100,000, was organized March 17, 1890, and the following board of directors was elected by the stockholders: Gilderoy Lord, John E. Kemp, R. E. Hungerford, John Prouty, Robert Lansing, Beman Bockway, R. E. Smiley, P. V. Poor, Samuel W. Reynolds. The directors, at a subsequent meeting, elected the following officers: President, Gilderoy Lord; vice-president, John E. Kemp; cashier, R. H. Huntington. It is expected that the new bank will open for business about the first of May, in the place now occupied by M. N. Van Epps as a shoe store.
Other banks, which were prominent and useful in their day, have existed in Watertown. Some of them were discontinued after successful careers, and failure or removal to other places was the fate of others. Among these institutions we will mention the following: Black River Bank, opened May 25, 1844, capital $100,000, Loveland Paddock, president; Oscar V. Paddock, vice-president; Edwin L. Paddock, cashier. The First National Bank was one of the first in the state to organize under the national banking law. Its founders were Loveland Paddock and his sons Oscar and Edwin L., the senior Paddock being its first president. The Second National Bank of Watertown was in operation previous to 1866, Edwin L. Paddock, president; George F. Paddock, cashier. The Merchants’ Bank was opened in 1865 by Hon. Norris Winslow, as an individual bank, and five years later was organized as a banking institution under the state laws, with the same title, with Norris Winslow, president; Willard Ives, vice-president; and John F. Moffett, cashier. In 1866 C. G. Harger & Son conducted a bank at No. 5 Court street. O. Paddock & Co.’s Bank, as No. 4 Paddock building, was in operation at the same time. Wooster Sherman’s Bank, opened January 8, 1842, discontinued. Henry Keep’s Bank, opened September 28, 1847, discontinued. Mechanics’ Bank, by Henry Keep, begun September 17, 1851, had no office for discount and deposit, also discontinued. Citizens’ Bank, established by Mr. Keep, August 1, 1850, afterwards removed to Ogdensburg, and in August, 1852, to Fulton, Oswego County. Frontier Bank, established in Watertown by Mr. Keep, removed to Potsdam in the spring of 1851.
The Watertown Savings, Loan, and Building Association was organized December 19, 1887, and incorporated January 7, 1888. The first president was S. F. Bagg; vice-president, D. E. Middleton; secretary, George Adams; treasurer, George F. Clark; trustees, E. Q. Sewall, L. A. Johnson, R. H. Hall, George H. Babcock, and Fred Waddingham; J. Atwell, Jr., attorney. George Adams resigned after a short service; was succeeded by W. W. Richey, who was succeeded by Fred H. Waddingham in April, 1889. The present officers are: D. C. Middleton, president; Fred Waddingham, vice-president; F. H. Waddingham, secretary; George F. Clark, treasurer; R. H. Hall, I. A. Johnson, George H. Babcock, S. F. Bagg, James B. Wise, trustees; J. Atwell, Jr., attorney. The first year this company paid 14 per cent over all expenses, and the dividend for the first quarter of 1889 was 4 per cent. Since December 31, 1888, the association has received an increase of more than 100 members. In April there were about 500 members, owning about 2,700 shares of a par value of $250 each.
Agricultural Insurance Company of Watertown. --What is now one of the most substantial and successful of the insurance companies of America completed its organization March 12, 1853. Its first officers were: Alden Adams, president; Isaac Munson, vice-president; L. Paddock, treasurer; Thomas Ward, secretary; and Earl B. Fowler, general agent. The name of the company was the Agricultural Mutual Insurance Company, and the following named gentlemen comprised the members of the organization: Alden Adams, T. A. Smith, H. Blodgett, J. C. Cooper, G. S. Sackett, E. F. Carter, Isaac Musnon, Joseph Fayel, L. Paddock, Wolcott Steele, William P. Babcock, A. Davenport, Ira Beaman, Hiram Dewey, and L. Miller. The organization was effected at Evans Mills, and the company continued its main office there until 1855, when it was removed to Watertown and established upon the site now occupied by Washington hall. In 1863 the company was reorganized and made a joint-stock association, and has since made a wonderful reputation as the Agricultural Insurance Company of Watertown, N. Y. The capital stock was made $50,000. In July, 1866, the capital stock was increased to $100,000; in July, 1872, to $200,000; in October, 1880, to $300,000; in December, 1883, to $500,000, and it so stands at this time.
STATEMENT, JANUARY 1, 1890
U. S. and municipal bonds and other stocks  : 342,614.00
Loans on bonds and mortgages (first lien)  : 1,288,148.96
Real estate owned by the company  : ;  : 171,718.00
Loans on collaterals
Cash in company’s office and banks
and premiums in due course of collection  292,804.52
: ; __________
Total assets . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $ 2,159,545.25
Losses adjusted, but not due $ 19,482.10
Losses unadjusted  :  : ;  : ; 46,783.00
Unpaid dividends  :  : 40
:  :  : ; 65.305.10
;  :  :  : ;  : ; _________
Net assets for protection of policy holders;  : ;  : ; 2,093,240.10
Capital stock; ;  : ; nbsp;  : ; 500,000.00
Re-ins. reserve (full N. Y. standard); ; 1,231,961.78
nbsp;  : ;  : ; ___________
nbsp; nbsp;  : ;  : ; 1,731.961.15
Net surplus (over capital, reserve, and all liabilities) $ 361,278.37
This company has paid for losses since its organization, $6,343,677.24.
The present officers of the company are J. R. Stebbins, president; E. F. Carter, vice-president; A. E. Dewey, general agent; H. M. Stevens, secretary; S. Cooper, treasurer; W. H. Stevens, assistant secretary; H. A. House, cashier. The following constitute the present board of directors: O. R. Earl, R. S. Whitman, Titus Sheard, S. Cooper, J. O. Wheeler, W. Ives, A. E. Dewey, J. R. Stebbins, C. Patterson, E. F. Carter, G. B. Phelps, H. A. House, F. H. Munson, A. H. Sawyer. In July, 1887, the company erected a three-story brick building adjoining Washington hall, and removed their offices to more commodious quarters. The business of the company increased so rapidly that, in 1873, they erected what is known as the Marble block, on Washington street, where the general offices have elegant and commodious quarters. It is one of the finest blocks in the city. The company also has a printing office where numerous compositors are kept busy supplying the company with stationery, etc. The presidents of the company have been Alden Adams, until 1862; John C. Cooper, until 1882; Isaac Munson, until 1886; and J. R. Stebbins, now serving (1890). The vice-presidents have been Isaac Munson, John Winslow, John A. Sherman, and Evelyn F. Carter, the present incumbent. The secretaries have been Thomas Ward, U. A. Wright, Isaac Munson, and Dr. H. M. Stevens, who still fills the position. The treasurers have been L. Paddock, Isaac Munson, H. M. Stevens, and Sidney Cooper, the latter serving in that capacity. The general agents have been E. B. Fowler, Hiram Dewey, and A. E. Dewey, who is still in office. W. H. Stevens is now serving as assistant secretary, and H. A. House as cashier. The general counsel of the company is A. H. Sawyer, whose biography may be found on another page of this history. The following brief biographical sketches of the present officers and employees are appended: --
Jean R. Stebbins, president, was born in Oneida County, August 24, 1836, but removed, in infancy, to Herkimer County, where he resided till his removal to Watertown, in January, 1890. He was the oldest son of William B. Stebbins, M. D. He graduated from Fairfield Academy, spent several years in teaching, read law in the office of Judge Hardin at Little Falls, and was admitted to practice at the bar in 1860. In January, 1861z, he purchased the Herkimer County Journal at Little Falls, and a few years later the Mohawk Courier, consolidating the two papers under the name of the Journal and Courier. He retained his interest in that journal until October, 1888, when he sold the same to his partners, Messrs. G. G. Stebbins and I. T. Burney. In 1869 President Grant appointed Mr. Stebbins collector of internal revenue for the district comprising Jefferson, Lewis, and Herkimer counties. Subsequently the counties of St. Lawrence and Franklin were added to the district, the term of Mr. Stebbins continuing about seven years. He was elected president of the company in March, 1886, but has not participated in its active management until the present year. Mr. Stebbins was married in July, 1864, to Adelaide C. Cooper, youngest daughter of the late John C. Cooper, who, for 20 years (from 1862 to 1882), was president of the Agricultural Insurance Company.
Henry M. Stevens, M. D., secretary, is a native of Oswego County. He commenced the study of medicine in Pulaski, and graduated, in 1852, from the Fourteenth Street School of Medicine of New York University. Locating in La Fargeville, Dr. Stevens entered upon his professional duties, and pursued them for 18 years. He was then appointed assistant secretary of the Agricultural Insurance Company, and removed to Watertown, where he has since resided and served as an officer of the company. Dr. Stevens was at one time treasurer of the company, and is now secretary. His management is able and efficient.
Sidney Cooper, treasurer, is a native of Le Ray, and was born in 1835. His parents were William and Elvira (Dighton) Cooper, both natives of this county. The grandfather of our subject, William Cooper, settled near Watertown in 1800. He served in the War of 1812, and at the time of his death was a farmer in Le Ray. His father, also a farmer, was a resident of that town until his death in 1871. Sidney Cooper was reared and educated in this county, and became a teacher. His business career began as a clerk in a store at Evans Mills, where he was subsequently admitted as a partner. In 1871 he was appointed collector of the post at Cape Vincent, by General Grant, and served in that capacity eight years. In 1879 he removed to Watertown, and soon after became a director in the company of which he is now treasurer. He has served in the latter capacity since 1884.
Evelyn F. Carter, vice-president, was born in Connecticut in 1811, and early in life was engaged in manufacturing in his native state. He came to Jefferson County in 1840, and engaged in farming in Le Ray, residing in that town about 13 years. Since that period he has resided in Watertown. Mr. Carter was one of the incorporators of the Insurance Company, and has been closely identified with its management. He has also been a leading spirit of the Jefferson County Agricultural Society, of which body he has served as president. He is still the owner of a farm in Le Ray.
Addice E. Dewey, a general agent, is a native of Jefferson County, where he was born in 1833. His parents, Hiram and Sylvia (Marble) Dewey, were natives of New England. Hiram Dewey came to Jefferson County when a boy, with his parents, about 1820, settling in Adams, where his father took up land and followed farming until his death. He married there, about 1832, and subsequently engaged in the lumber business. About 1838 he purchased a farm in Orleans, and resided upon it for many years, during which time he served as justice of the peace. He continued farming and general speculating until about 1865, when he removed to Watertown and resided until his death, which occured (sic) in 1883. He was one of the incorporators of the Agricultural Insurance Company, and served as an executive officer up to his death. He was appointed general agent of the company about 1863, and served 20 years in that capacity. Addice E. began his business life in Omar, conducting a saw and flouring-mill. He became a resident of Watertown in 1871, since which time he has been identified with the Insurance Company. He served as adjuster and general business manager until he succeeded to the position made vacant by the death of his father. Mr. Dewey is president of the Eureka Chemical Company and largely interested in farming lands. He also is interested in the milling business of Omar.
William H. Stevens, assistant secretary, was born in May, 1859; graduated from the Syracuse University in 1880; read law in the office of Starbuck & Sawyer for more than a year; and entered the service of the company in 1881. He was appointed assistant secretary in January, 1887.
Henry A. House was born in Lewis County, N. Y., January 30, 1832. In 1862 he located in Cape Vincent, and was clerk for the R., W. & O. Railroad two years. In 1864 he engaged as clerk in L. S. Hammond’s bank, which position he retained until February, 1874, when he came to Watertown and entered the office of the Agricultural Insurance Company, as cashier, which position he now holds. While in Cape Vincent he served as supervisor of that town for two years. He married, first, Mary E. Goff, who bore him four children, and died in March, 1866. He married, second, Miss M. D. Starkweather, of Cape Vincent. Of his children, Frank E. is roadmaster of the C., M. & St. P. Railroad, and resides in Chillicothe, Mo.; Arthur L. is clerk in the Pacific Bank, San Francisco; Clifford H. is book-keeper in the Evening Post office, San Francisco; and Clarence A. died June 18, 1888.
L. F. Phillips, son of John, was born in the town of Lyme, July 22, 1839. He came to Watertown in 1864, and for three years was employed as clerk and book-keeper for William G. Gardner. In 1867 he opened a general dry goods store, which he continued until 1874, when he accepted a position as book-keeper with the Agricultural Insurance Company, and now has charge of the general accounts of that company. He enlisted in the National Guards as first lieutenant, and one year later was promoted to adjutant of the 35th Battalion, in which position he also served one year, when he was commissioned lieutenant-colonel and inspector of rifle practice of the 4th Division, National Guards, which position he still holds as supernumerary. In 1873-74 he was supervisor, and was coroner of the county two terms (six Years). He married Hattie O. Richardson, of this city, and they have one son, Lewis Lynn.
Col. Charles H. Van Brakle was born in Troy, N. Y., and in 1858 located in Watertown. He enlisted in the 14th N. Y. H. A., was first lieutenant of Co. B, was promoted to adjutant, and served until December 28, 1864. In January, 1866, he accepted a position as book-keeper with the Agricultural Insurance Company, which position he now occupies. He has been a notary public since 1867. He has been a member of the National Guard, since February 7, 1860, and was gradually promoted from first lieutenant to colonel. In 1878 he retired from active service as colonel and assistant adjutant-general of the 4th Division. He was city clerk for two years and a member of the board of directors of the fire department several years. He married Georgiana Neilson, of Flushing, L. I.
Besides those already named the following have positions at present in the Agricultural office, viz.: John Quincy Adams, Prentiss P. Cook, L. Hollister Prentiss, James S. Boyer, Jefferson T. Raplee, and William C. Stebbins.
Jefferson County Patrons’ Fire Relief Association. -- On the 2d day of May, 1877, the following named gentlemen, members of the different granges of Jefferson County, met at the Kirby House in the city of Watertown and organized the “Jefferson County Patrons’ Fire Relief Association,” for the purpose of insuring at actual cost the property of patrons: Elliott Makepeace, L. D. Olney, O. W. Baker, L. H. Bishop, George W. Rickett, E.S. Wright, O. S. Potter, G. H. Countryman, G. H. Hall, S. O. Adams, and Frank Hadock. At a subsequent meeting the following directors were elected and authorized to solicit applications for insurance: William A. Eastman, O. S. Potter, G. H. Countryman, O. W. Baker, G. H. Hall, L. H. Bishop, G. W. Rickett, S. O. Adams, S. G. Wiggins, L. D. Olney, William Southworth, and Everett Clements. The officers chosen were Elliott Makepeace, president; Frank Hadock, secretary, and E. S. Wright, treasurer.
The first policies were issued August 21, 1877, to the amount of $101,150. At the first annual meeting, held June 4, 1878, William Mathers was elected treasurer in the place of E. S. Wright. At the annual meeting held June 7, 1881, the following officers were elected: L. D. Olney, president; Frank Hadock, secretary; and George E. Bull, treasurer. October 11, 1881, O. W. Baker was elected secretary in place of Frank Hadock, resigned. At the annual meeting held June 6, 1882, by-laws were adopted for the reorganization of the association under the law of 1880 and 1881. At this meeting the secretary reported the amount of risks carried to be $502,885. The jurisdiction of the association embraces the counties of Jefferson and Lewis. During the years 1887 and 1888 there were many new granges organized in Lewis County, which greatly augmented the business of the association. At the present time (March 31, 1889) the directors of the company, 33 in number, are as follows: L. D. Olney, Watertown; George E. Bull, Rural Hill; O. W. Baker, Watertown; J. W. Overton, Bishop Street; O. S. Potter, Mannsville; L. F. Allen, East Hounsfield; A. F. Sheffner, Pamelia Four Corners; S. A. Grimshaw, Lorraine; Charles Kinsley, Three Mile Bay; R. M. Flaherty, Antwerp; H. S. Wilson, Watertown; George W. Smith, South Rutland; J. A. Bemis, Pierrepont Manor; W. H. Walrath, La Fargeville; William Whiting, Philadelphia; Sylvester Loomis, Champion; C. J. Dutton, Natural Bridge; R. C. Otis, Denmark; Ira Sharp, Lowville; J. B. Zehr, Indian River; F. W. Palmer, Natural Bridge; R. C. Hills, Turin; H. G. Wood, Harrisburg; P. G. Reynolds, Carthage; J. B. Frost, Belfort; Augustus Pachond, Beaver Falls; Alvin Burrington, Naumburgh; Charles Matty, Montague; C. C. Wakefield, New Bremen; S. F. Woolworth, Pickney; Charles Johnson, Harrisburg; Edwin E. Alger, Glendale; Duayne Miller, Leyden. The officers of 1889 were L. D. Olney, president; Ira Sharp, vice-president; George E. Bull, treasurer; O. W. Baker, secretary. The number of policies now in force--March, ‘89---is 589. The amount of insurance in force to date is $1,223,965.
Otis & Goodale, fire, life, accident, and plate-glass insurance, is one of the largest and strongest agencies in the county. The business of this firm was established by D. M. Bennett, and is one of the oldest offices in the city. Charles M. Otis, the senior member of the firm, is a native of Watertown and son of David D. Otis, an old hardware merchant, who became a resident here about 1825. He served as president of the village, and died here in 1881. Charles M. was engaged in various lines of business in New York city. The firm of Otis & Goodale was instituted in 1885. They represent 12 leading companies in fire insurance, and several companies in other branches.
Henry D. Goodale is a son of Dr. Charles and Mary (Sewall) Goodale, and was born in Watertown in 1852. He entered the office of the National Bank and Loan Co. in 1869, as office boy, and worked his way up to the position of teller and cashier. He remained with that institution until he formed his present affiliation. Mr. Goodale is also the district agent of the old Mutual Life Insurance Company of New York, and a broker and dealer in real estate.
Henry S. Munson is a son of Dr. Isaac and Cornelia (Stebbins) Munson. Dr. Isaac Munson, was born in Herkimer County in 1812, and came to Jefferson County in 1935. He settled in Evans Mills, where he was associated with Dr. Ira Smith. He subsequently removed to Rutland, where he practiced medicine until the fall of 1849, when he was elected clerk of the county, and removed to Watertown, serving three years. A short time after resuming his profession he was elected secretary of the Agricultural Insurance Company, which position he filled until elected president of the company. He remained at the head of the company until his death, in 1886. The maternal grandfather of Henry S. Munson was Amos Stebbins, who came to what is now Rutland, and located a farm, in 1799. He served in the War of 1812, and represented his district in the state legislature in 1820. He continued a farmer of Rutland until his death. Henry S. Munson, born in Rutland, early in life went to Iowa, where he became a law student in the office of Hon. William B. Allison. He was admitted to the bar in that state, and subsequently became a partner with Hon. Emory Storrs, of Chicago. His law practice extended over a period of seven years. Returning to Watertown he has since been engaged in the insurance business. He was secretary of the Homestead Fire Insurance Company three years, and with the Agricultural Insurance Company for two years. He then entered the field of life insurance, and since 1875 has been connected with the Phoenix Mutual Life, of Hartford, Conn., of which company he is now manager for Western New York and a portion of Pennsylvania. Mr. Munson is president of the Gifford Manufacturing Company.
Alanson D. Seaver, county treasurer (1889), was born in Watertown in 1845. His parents, William and Eliza (French) Seaver, are natives of Vermont, and early settlers and residents of Watertown. Mr. Seaver, early in life, learned the trade of machinist, and for many years was employed by the Davis Sewing Machine Company as toolmaker. He has also served the city as clerk one year. Mr. Seaver is associated with Frank H. Munson, under firm name of Munson & Seaver, having the city agency for the Agricultural Insurance Co.
Frank H. Munson, son of Dr. Isaac Munson, is also a native of Rutland, and has also been active in insurance circles. He became connected with the Watertown Fire Insurance Company about 1868 acting as cashier. He continued with the Sun Company after it succeeded to the business of the old company, and remained with the Sun Company until they removed their office to New York in 1887. Since the latter period Mr. Munson has been active in the organization of the Jefferson Paper Company, and is serving as his (sic) first president. He is also the head of the firm of Munson & Seaver, city agents for the Agricultural Insurance Company, of which company he is a director.
John R. Pawling, the fire insurance, real estate, and loan agent, representing nine of the leading fire insurance companies doing business in this country, has a large real estate business, both in the city of Watertown and county of Jefferson. He was born in Rodman in 1851, and is a son of Rev. John and Eveline (Smith) Pawling. His father was a graduate of Hamilton College of the class of 1843, was admitted to the Jefferson County bar in 1847, and practiced law for some time in Watertown. He afterward entered the Congregational ministry, and finally a Baptist clergyman. After preaching for some years he went on to a farm in the town of Rodman where he stayed until 1869, when he died. Mr. Pawling lived upon the homestead in Rodman until his 20th year, when he came to Watertown and entered the Merchants’ Bank, and remained in said bank for some 10 years, occupying the various positions of clerk, book-keeper, and teller. He subsequently engaged in the business of insurance. He has filled various important positions, having been city assessor, secretary and treasurer of the board of trade of Watertown, and other equally important positions.
William Quinn was born in Ireland, and when a youth came to America with his parents, in 1847. His father, John Quinn, settled in Antwerp and followed farming. William was reared upon a farm, and engaged in husbandry until he came to Watertown in 1888. He still owns 200 acres of land in Le Ray. Mr. Quinn was a soldier of the late war, enlisting in 1862 in Co. C., 10th N. Y. H. A., in which company he served until the close of the war. His company participated in the battles of Cold Harbor, Bermuda Hundred, and the engagements in front of Petersburg, besides other minor engagements. He now devotes his time looking after the interests of several well known and reliable life insurance company.
Joseph Atwell, Sr., general fire insurance and loan agent, was born in Chenango in 1822. He came to Jefferson County in 1848, and began general merchandising at Theresa, forming the firm of Atwell & Remington, which was succeeded by Atwell & Hoyl, the latter firm continuing until 1862, in which year he was appointed commissioner of public accounts for the state of New York, by Governor E. D. Morgan. Since 1866 he has been engaged in the insurance business, and since 1869 his home has been in Watertown. He represents eight leading fire insurance companies, and the Western Farm Mortgage Trust Co., of Lawrence, Kansas. Mr. Atwell served as supervisor of Theresa in 1860, and deputy collector of customs of Cape Vincent district from 1879 to 1887.
O. S. Wilcox was born at Point Peninsula, Jefferson County, in 1834. His parents were William and Mary E. (Burdick) Wilcox, both natives of Connecticut. William Wilcox came to this county prior to the War of 1812, and followed farming here until his death, at the ripe age of 90 years. The business life of Oren S. Wilcox has been pursued in Three Mile Bay, Point Peninsula, Chaumont, and Watertown. He became a resident of Watertown in 1880, and in 1883 engaged in the insurance business. He represents the Northwestern Mutual Life, of Milwaukee, for the counties of Jefferson, St. Lawrence, Lewis, Franklin, and Clinton, and has other companies of merit. Mr. Wilcox served three years as deputy revenue collector at Chaumont. His family consisted of seven boys and four girls.
The Woodruff Houseis the principal hotel in Watertown. It is a brick building located on Public Square, with a frontage of about 300 feet, is five stories high, and contains 150 rooms. These apartments are elegantly fitted up and furnished, and the whole house is heated by steam. Electric bells connect the rooms with the office, and there are bath rooms for the convenience of the guests. The proprietor, F. W. Hayden, is a well-known and deservedly popular young man.
The Crowner House, located at 72, 74, and 76 Court street, was built by John D. Crowner in 1853, and was brought by the present proprietors, Solon and George Wilder, in 1867. It is a three-story brick building, and will accommodate 100 guests. The extensive barns connected with the hotel will accommodate 400 horses. Wilder Brothers are breeders of Hambletonian and dealers in gentlemen’s road horses.
The Kirby House, built prior to 1850, on Court street, is a three-story brick building, with excellent accommodations for its numerous patronage. The present proprietor is A. D. Williams.
City Hotel, 82 and 84 Court street, has recently been thoroughly renovated and refurbished. It is a properly conducted hotel, and Joseph B. McKinley is the present proprietor.
The Dillon House, at 78 Factory street, was built in 1871 by Thomas Dillon, who has since been its proprietor. It is a three-story brick structure, and will accommodate about 40 guests.
The Globe Hotel, located on Court and Arsenal streets, was built soon after the fire of 1849. It is conveniently located near the central part of the city, and is ably conducted by Erwin L. Harris, the present genial proprietor.
The Harris House, on Public Square, is one of the oldest hotels in the city.