Transcribed from - Morris and Co.'s Commercial Directory and Gazetteer. 1870

Please notify me of any errors. Contact.

 Transcribed by Jack STEER

Checked by Val HENDERSON



Page 805

  BIGBURY is a village and parish in Kingsbridge union, containing, by the census of 1861, 497 inhabitants, and 3167 acres; in the deanery of Woodleigh, archdeaconry of Totnes, diocese of Exeter, hundred of Ermington, South Devonshire; 1 ½ mile from Bigbury Bay, 4 mile South from Modbury, and 7 north-west from Kingsbridge; pleasantly situate on rising ground, commanding an extensive view of the sea. The rectory, in the incumbency of the Rev. Frederick Farrer, M.A., had the tithes commuted in 1842, at £500 per annum, with residence and 99A. 2R. 39P. of glebe land, and is in the alternate patronage of the Duke of Cleveland and the Earl of Sandwich. The church is a small ancient edifice, in the Perpendicular style, dedicated to St Lawrence, consisting of nave, chancel, transept, and north aisles, with a small mortuary chapel now used as a pew, and tower containing five bells, surmounted by a spire. The Baptists and Bible Christians have places of worship here. There is a school for children of both sexes, supported principally by the rector.

ST. ANN'S CHAPEL is a small hamlet of this parish.

BUR ISLAND, formerly called St Michael's Rock, is a small island about quarter-of-a-mile from the coast, containing nearly 12 acres of land, and is frequented during the summer by pic-nic parties.


Clergy and Gentry.

BENDYSHE Nelson Esq., Easton

MASON Rev. William M.A. (curate), The Rectory


Trades and Professions.

ADAMS James, farmer, Lower Cumery

AMM, James, tailor and parish clerk

AMM John, blacksmith, St Ann's Chapel

ANDREWS Richard, farmer, Houghton

ATRILL Thomas, farmer, Hingston

BARDENS Mrs. Fanny, "Pilchard" Inn, Bur Island

BARNES Thomas, farmer, Noddon

COCKER George, farmer

COCKER John, boot and shoemaker

COCKER John, carpenter

CUMING Garland, farmer, Higher Cumery

DENBOW John, farmer, Easton

FOOT Joseph, shoemaker, "Royal Oak"

FROUDE Miss Emma, shopkeeper

HANCOCK John, carrier and farmer

HANNAFORD Adams, farmer, Knowle

HOOPPELL Benjamin, farmer and assistant overseer, Mount Folly

HOOPPELL Robert, farmer

HOOPPELL William, farmer, Holwell

HOOPPELL William and Co., millers, Duke's Mill - Thomas NARRAMORE, manager


LUCKRAFT Thomas, farmer, Duke's Mill

PARRATON Henry, farmer

ROACH Nicholas, shopkeeper, farmer, and carrier

SAUNDERS Thomas, thatcher

STEER John, thatcher

STEER Simon, carpenter, St Ann's Chapel

STEER Thomas, jun., carpenter and wheelwright

SULLOCK John, carpenter, Boar's Hill

RAYLOR James, miller and basket maker, Noddon Mill

TAYLOR Martin, road contractor

TERREY George, mason

TERREY Robert, mason

TRIGGS Phillip, "Hare and Hounds", St Ann's Chapel

WOODMASON William, basket maker

WROTH John, farmer, Coombe

WROTH Edward, farmer, Bigbury court

WROTH William, farmer, Tufland


Letters from Aveton-Gifford. Wall Letter Box cleared at 9.55 a.m. The nearest money order office is at Modbury.


School - Miss Mary DAVIES, mistress


Carriers - Nicholas ROACH and John HANCOCK, to Plymouth, Sat








Page Update 11/10/01