Bovey Tracy

Bovey Tracy

Transcribed from - Morris and Co.'s Commercial Directory and Gazetteer. 1870

 Please notify me of any errors. Contact.


Transcribed by Lyn LAMBLE

Checked by Val HENDERSON

Pages 459 - 461


  BOVEY TRACEY (or SOUTH BOVEY) is a parish and small town in Newton Abbot union, containing, by the census of 1861, 2080 inhabitants, and 7262 acres; in the deanery of Moreton, archdeaconry of Totnes, diocese of Exeter, hundred of Teignbridge, East Devonshire; 4 miles south-west from Chudleigh, 6 north-west from Newton Abbot, and 6½ south-east from Moreton Hampstead, on the line of railway between those places, at which it has a station. The manor was formerly the property of the Tracey family, as part of the Barony of Barnstaple from whence its name is derived, and Henry Tracey the then lord of the manor, in 1259, obtained a Charter for a market and fair of three days' duration, but which have long been obsolete. C.A. Bentinck, Esq, is now lord of the manor. During the wars between Charles I. and his Parliament, this town was the head quarters of Lord Wentworth, with a portion of the royal troops, and at six o'clock in the evening of the 9th January, 1646, they were suddenly attacked by a part of the Parliamentary army, under General Fairfax, who took 400 horsemen prisoners, several colours and a Crown with the royal initials upon it; several of the principal officers were playing at cards, and when surprised by the Parliamentary soldiers threw the stakes out of the window amongst them, and escaped by the back door whilst they were scrambling for the money. The town rises in a gradual slope from Bovey Heathfield up the side of an hill, from the higher parts of which some splendid views of the surrounding country can be obtained. An extensive pottery is worked here in a Joint-stock Company, which gives employment to about 300 people; it was originally established in 1772. BOVEY HEATHFIELD is a large tract of land about 500 acres in extent, formerly a boggy morass, but much improved by the cutting of the Stover Canal, which connects the Haytor Rock Granite Quarries with the river Teign; it is supposed that the Sea formerly extended here, and a sort of coal is dug, which appears to be composed of imperfectly carbonised wood, which is believed to be the remains of a submerged forest penetrated with bitumen, and frequently containing pyrites, alum, and vitriol; it is used as fuel at the pottery, also by the poorer classes in the neighbourhood.

  The TOWN HALL is a neat edifice, in the centre of the village, which was erected about four years ago, at a cost of £1300, of which £800 is charged upon the rates of the parish, and £500 lent by a gentleman on personal security. The parish vestry and other public meetings are held here, and it is also used for concerts, lectures, balls, &c.

  The Vicarage, in the incumbency of the Hon. and Rev. Charles Leslie Courtenay, M.A., Canon of Windsor, is valued at £450 per annum, with residence, and is in the patronage of the Crown. The church, which is in the Perpendicular style, is supposed to have been built in 1170 by Sir William Tracey, as an act of penance, after the murder of Thomas á Becket at Canterbury, and was believed to have been dedicated to St. Thomas, but on its being repaired a few years ago, some wall paintings were discovered which induced the supposition that it was dedicated to St. Michael; it consists of nave, chancel, one south and two north aisles, with tower containing six bells and a clock. St. John's Church at Heathfield, is a neat small Gothic edifice, consisting of nave, chancel, north and south aisles, with turret and two bells; in the east end is a handsome stained glass window representing the crucifixion, and the six windows in the chancel are also of stained-glass representing the Kiss of Judas; the Scourging; Christ bearing the Cross; Christ sinking under the weight of the Cross, with Joseph of Arimathæa assisting him; preparing to nail Our Saviour to the Cross; and after taking him down; it was erected by the present vicar from the designs of Mr. Carpenter, the architect. The Baptists, Christian Brethren, Independents, and Wesleyans have places of worship here. There are National British, and Infant Schools for children of both sexes, and an Endowed School, in which the master teaches 23 boys free, and is allowed to take private pupils. There are also some charitable bequests for the benefit of the poor.

  The DEVON HOUSE OF MERCY, for reclaiming fallen women, was established here in 1861, and was formally opened in a temporary residence in 1863; the foundation stone of the present building was laid by the Earl of Devon in 1865; it contains accommodation for 72 inmates, and is supported by voluntary contributions; the members of the Clewsisterhood have the management of it.

Clergy and Gentry.

Bentinck Chas Aldenbury, Esq., J.P., Indio

Bideaux Madam, St. John's cottages

Bool Rev. Henry (Baptist)

Bullock Rev. George Frederick, M.A., curate, East Street

Campbell Miss Elizabeth and Miss Jane M. Montgomery, Moor Side

Courtenay Hon. And Rev. Charles Leslie, M.A., Canon of Windsor, and Vicar of Bovey Tracey, The Vicarage

Cowlard Miss Ellen, St. John's cottages

Croker Mrs., Cross cottage

Divett Miss Adelaide, St. John's park

Divett John, Esq., J.P., Bridge house

Fox Mrs. William, Park view

French Mr. Robert, East street

Gurney Rev. Frederick, M.A., curate, St John's cottage

Gurney The Misses, St. John's villa

Harris Joseph, Esq., Lower Combe

Harris William, Esq., Plumley

Haydon Nathaniel John, Esq., M.D., East street

Haydon William, Esq., M.D., East street

Hole Mrs. Susannah, Parke

Hole William Robert, Esq., J.P., Parke

Langley Miss Mary Ann, East street

Levett Captain Theophilus, Colhays

Mortlock Miss Gertrude, Bell house

Puddicombe Miss Julia, Church Style house

Rainey Colonel Henry, Chapple

Urquhart Rev. Edward William, M.A., curate

Watts William John, Esq., J.P., Yarner

Young Rev. James, (Congregational), Free Church house


Trades and Professions.

Adams William, plumber and tinplate-worker, Fore street

Addems William, farmer, Elsford

Aggett Edward, farmer, Lower Brimley

Aggett William, grocer, Mary street

Aggett William, thatcher, Fore street

BAKER HENRY, coal and manure merchant, Fore street

Baker Isaac, baker, dairyman, and contractor, Fore street

Barkell William, grocer, Townsend

Bastow William, farmer, Lower Brimley

Beer Mrs. Ann, wheelwright and beer retailer, Townsend

BEER GEORGE, grocer and teadealer, Fore street

Bishop Richard, farmer, Slade mead

BOND GEORGE, boot and shoemaker, Fore street

Boucher Richard, gamekeeper, Yarner

BOVEY TRACEY POTTERY COMPANY, manufacturers of earthenware - William Robinson, manager

BOWDEN EMANUEL, agricultural implement maker, Broadmead Iron Works

Cade James, baker, Fore street

Chudleigh William, schoolmaster, Fore st

CLEAVE WILLIAM, carpenter, joiner, and builder, East street

Cox Frederick, police constable, Fore st

Cox Mrs. Mary, farmer, Higher Combe

Croker William C., farmer, Reeves Combe

Cumming William, general smith, Mary st

Dayment Thomas, farmer, Dunley

Daymond George, coffee rooms, Pottery

Drake William Henry, organist and choirmaster, Choir house, St. John's cottages

Endacott Edward, butcher, Fore street

Endacott George, baker and grocer, East st

Endacott Mrs. Maria, farmer, Little Bovey

Endacott Thomas, "Bell" inn, Town cross

Edwards George, farmer, Hele

Edwards James, butcher, East street

Fry Samuel, farmer, Little Bovey

Gale Joseph, shopkeeper, The Pottery

Gater James, draper and grocer, Fore st

Gilley Jonas, Bailiff to J. Divett, Esq., Langaller

HAMLIN WM., butcher, Fore street

Hamlyn John, shoemaker, East street

Hannaford Samuel, farmer, Bullaton

Harris Reuben Smith, boot and shoemaker, Town cross

Harris Mrs. Susan, dressmaker, Fore street

Hawkridge Henry, tailor, High street

Hawkridge William, tailor, Fore street

Haydon Nathiel John, M.D., East street

Haydon William M.D., East street

Hellier Thomas, farmer, Soldridge

Hellier William, baker, Town cross

Hill John, shopkeeper, Mary street

Holmes Jonas, carrier, Fore street

Job Thomas, farmer, Warwicks

JOLL JOHN LAMBLE, licensed to let post-horses, Townsend (See advt.)

JOLL RICHARD, "Dolphin" commercial hotel and posting house. (See advertisement)

Kallaway John, carpenter, Fore street

Kenwood Thos., lodgings, St. John's cottages

Kingwill Joseph, blacksmith, Townsend

LADD RICHARD SAMUEL, bookseller, stationer, postmaster, and sub-distributor of stamps, Post Office

Lambert John, farmer bailiff to Mr. William Davis, Hawkmoor

Langmead John, farmer, Whitstone farm

Langmead William, farmer, Bradley farm

Langworthy George, farmer, Middle Combe

Lavis Mrs. Elizabeth, "King of Prussia," Fore street

Lee William Henry, miller, Town mills

Loveys Charles Orchard, baker and confectioner, Fore street

Loveys Mrs. And Miss, ladies' boarding and day school, Church hill

Loveys Thomas, land agent, Church hill

Mardon John, stonemason and builder, Fore street

Mann William, butcher, Fore street

Merchant William, farmer, Shute

Moore James, head gardener for Captain Levett, Colhays

MUDFORD JABEZ HEARN, "Union" family and commercial hotel and posting house. (See advertisement)

Palk Mrs. Elizabeth, farmer, Five Wyches

Palmer Emanuel, farmer, Luscombe

Parnell Jonas, stationmaster, 1, St. John's park

Pentecost Joseph, painter, plumber, and glazier, Fore street

Philp Simon, farmer, Ullacombe

Phillips Robert, farmer, Pullabrook

Pike Christopher, chemist and druggist, Fore street

Pitts Mrs Rebecca, grocer and draper, Fore street

Priston Andrew, harness maker, Fore st

Prouse Thomas, shoemaker, Mary street

Redstone James, gardener, Station road

Redstone Robert, bailiff to W.R. Hole, Esq., Southbrook

Reynolds William, tailor, Fore street

Robinson William, manager for the Bovey Tracey Pottery Company

Rowe John W.B., farmer, and apartments, Stickwick

Rowe William K., refreshment rooms, Fore street

Sanders William Delve Heath, yeoman, Atway

Saunders William D.H., farmer, Higher Atway

Selleck Emanuel, tailor, Fore street

Shilson Mrs. Elizabeth, dressmaker, Fore st

Short William, gardener, Mary street

Sly Samuel, carpenter, Mary street

Smale John, carpenter, Mary street

Smale Miss E., dressmaker, Mary street

Smith John, shoemaker and greengrocer, Fore street

Soper John, farmer, Whistlewell

Stonelake John, boot and shoemaker, Fore street

Tapper George, builder and lodginghousekeeper, Heathfield house

Tapper Thomas, dairyman, Pludda

Tucker Edwin, carpenter and wheelwright, East street

Wallen John, shopkeeper, Mary street

Welch Asher, grocer and draper, Fore st

Welsford Thomas, baker, Fore street

Westwood William, National schoolmaster

Wills George, farmer, Knowle

Winsor John, carpenter, Chapel street

Wreford John, painter and glazier, East st

Wreford William, farmer, Aller

Wyatt Mrs. Susan A., dressmaker, Fore st


Post Office, Fore street - Richard Samuel Ladd, postmaster. Letters arrive at 6.30 a.m.; dispatched at 6.20 p.m.; delivery commences at 6.45 p.m. Money orders granted and paid, and savings bank business transacted from 9 a.m. to 5.30 p.m.; and on Saturdays until 8 p.m.


Devon House of Mercy for Reception of Fallen Women - The Bishop of Exeter, visitor; the Hon. And Rev. C.L. Courtenay, warden: Rev. F. Ensor, hon. Secretary


Police Station - Frederick Cox, constable


Endowed School, Fore street - William Chudleigh, master

National School - William Westwood, master; Miss Mary Ann Hayward, mistress

British School - Mary street - Miss Isabella Sarah Smith, mistress

St. John's Infant School, St. John's cottages - Mrs. Sarah Smallbridge, mistress





Updated 09/01/02

Please Report any non-working links.

Please feel free to use the information on this page for your own personnel research, but please DO NOT use it for commercial purposes or financial gain. Thankyou.

© 2001-2002 Transcriber and Checker as named above.