Transcribed from - Morris and Co.'s Commercial Directory and Gazetteer. 1870

Please notify me of any errors. Contact.


Transcribed by Peter RUTHERFORD

Checked by Val HENDERSON


Pages 820 - 822

  IVYBRIDGE is a village and ecclesiastical district, formed in 1836 out of the parishes of Cornwood and Ermington, in Plympton St. Mary union, and Ugborough in Totnes union, and contained, by the census of 1861, in Cornwood, 68; in Ermington, 1024; and in Ugborough, 256 inhabitants, making a total population in the ecclesiastical district of 1348; in the deanery of Plympton, archdeaconry of Totnes, diocese of Exeter, hundred of Ermington, South Devonshire, on the South Devon Railway, at which it has a station, 11 miles east from Plymouth, and 34 south-west from Exeter; situate in a romantic dell, formed by the river Erme, which empties itself into Bigbury Bay about 7 miles below. The name is derived from an ancient bridge covered with ivy, which crosses the river here, and the romantic scenery of the neighbourhood and the salubrious climate attracts numerous visitors during the summer season. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the incumbency of the Rev. George Thomas Kingdon, M.A., valued at £140 per annum, and is in the alternate patronage of Lady Rogers and W. Cotton, Esq. The church, dedicated to St. John, was originally erected in 1790, as a chapel-of-ease, and was consecrated as a district church in 1835; it is a neat edifice, consisting of nave and chancel with tower. The Independents and Wesleyans have places of worship here, and there is a National School for children of both sexes. Lady Rogers is lady of the manor. The Independent Chapel is a neat edifice, in the Gothic style, which was erected in 1869; it is built of local and Bath stone and white sea Moor bricks. The interior is fitted with open seats, stained and varnished, with an open timbered roof. At the back of the chapel is a vestry, over which is the singing gallery, and galleries can be added to the chapel if required. It is fifty feet long by thirty feet wide, and contains sittings for about 230 people, and is lighted by seven star pendants. The cost of the building, inclusive of the site, was about £700. Messrs. Ambrose and Snell were the architects, and Messrs Cornish and Watts, of Ivybridge, the builders. The extensive paper mills of Messrs. Allen and Son are situate here, which give employment to a great number of hands, and there are tin and lead mines in the neighbourhood.

Clergy and Gentry.

Allen Edward, Esq., Erme place

Allen John, Esq., Stowford lodge

Allen John, jun, Esq., Stowford lodge

Bennett Captain, Beacon villas

Braund Captain William, Erme place

Crocker Mr. Matthew

Dennis Mrs., Loyalty

Edwards Captain Nathaniel Frederick, R.N., J.P., Beacon villas

Gascoigne General J.H.

Hewlett Rear Admiral R.S., C.B., Cadleigh house

Holmes Marshall, Esq., M.D.

Horndon William, Esq., Highland house

Jarvis Mrs. Elizabeth, West Park house

Jarvis James, Esq., West Park house

Kingdon Rev. George Thomas, M.A., Parsonage

Liddell Henry, Esq.

Luscombe Samuel, Esq., Ottawa cottage

Meatheel Mrs. Kate

Selden Mr. John

Sherwell Benjamin, Esq., Fore street

Sherwell Miss Martha

Spreat Mrs.

Thomas Mrs. Maria

Tiver John, Esq., Albert cottage


Trades and Professions.

Abbott William, plumber, painter, and glazier

ALLEN AND SONS, paper manufacturers; and at 11, Kinterbury street, Plymouth

Bailey James, National schoolmaster

Baker Robert, horsebreaker

Beer John, baker, Fore street

Bird Mark, blacksmith

Bird Mrs. Mary, "Smiths' Armes," Fore st

Blackmore Thomas, boot and shoemaker

Blackmore Thomas James, baker and shoemaker, Fore street

Blight Henry, cowkeeper and coaldealer

Blight Philip, shopkeeper, Fore street

Boon John, butcher, Fore street

Boon John, ironmonger, Fore street

Bryant Mrs., baker, Fore street

Bunker James, baker

Callard John, lodginghouse

Clarke William, baker and grocer

Cleave Mrs. James, cowkeeper

Conway William, grocer and farrier

Cook James, boot and shoemaker

Cornish John, builder

Crispin Edwin H., carpenter

Crispin Richard, shopkeeper

Dafter John, lodginghouse-keeper, Erme place

Dyer Mrs. Ann, beer retailer

Fice Miss Margaret, haberdasher

Ford Robert, farmer

Ford Thomas, boot and shoemaker

Haddy John, newsagent and carrier

Head Samuel, tanner and currier

Henwood Francis, grocer and draper, Fore street

Holman Benjamin, paper manufacturer

Holmes Marshall, M.D. and surgeon

Huxham John and Sons, butchers and farmers

Huxham Mrs. Thomas, butcher, Fore st

Lethbridge Mrs., "Grocers' Arms"

"LONDON HOTEL," family, commercial, and posting house, adjoining the Old Bridge - William Mallett, proprietor

Mackay William Henry, postmaster and newsagent, Fore street

MALLETT WILLIAM, "London Hotel" family, commercial, and posting house, adjoining the Old Bridge

Martin Richard, "Albert" inn

Meathrel Joseph, farmer, Woodland

Mullens James, eatinghouse-keeper, Fore street

Northmore Solomon, "Bridge" inn

Patterson Michael, engineer at Gas Works

Phillips Mrs. James, National schoolmistress

Phillips Roger, market gardener

Pooley Richard, corn and flour dealer, Fore street

Rendle Richard Hosking, chemist

Rivers Mrs. Elizabeth, lodginghouse

Rowe James, shoemaker

Sandover Stephen, "Wheelwrights' Arms"

SHAPTER AND CO., family grocers, teadealers, drapers, and general warehousemen, and agents for W. and A. Gilbey's wines and spirits, Fore street; and at Plymouth

Sherwell Richard, tailor, Fore street

Short William, lodginghouse-keeper

Skelly Robert, wheelwright, Fore street

Stephens Thomas, beer retailer

Stevens William, stationmaster

Thomas George M., saddler, Fore street

Toms James Hill, "King's Arms"

Traher Mrs. Emma, "Julian Arms," Cadleigh park

Union Flour Mills - Wm. Wyatt, manager

Willis James, shoemaker and parish clerk

Wyatt Peter, lodginghouse-keeper

Wyatt William, manager of Union Flour Mills, Emma place


Post and Telegraph Office - William Henry Mackay, postmaster; Charles Haddy, telegraph clerk. Letters from London arrive 5.3 a.m. and 8.27 p.m.; dispatched at 7.50 p.m. Box closes for Plymouth and Cornwall at 4.30 a.m. and 11.30 a.m. Letters from Kingsbridge arrive at 11.5 a.m.; dispatched at 3.20 p.m. North mail arrives at 12.8 p.m.; dispatched at 2.25 p.m. Money orders granted and paid, and Saving's Bank and annuity business transacted from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.


Literary Institution, Reading Rooms, and Library - John Allen, jun., treasurer


St. John's Church - Rev. George Thomas Kingdon, M.A., incumbent


Independent Chapel

Wesleyan Chapel


South Devon Railway Station - J. Stevens, stationmaster



Modbury - John Haddy, Mon, Wed, Thurs, and Sat

Plymouth - Blight's and Wyatt's vans, Mon, Tues, Thurs, and Sat


National School - James Bailey, master; Mrs. Jane Phillips, mistress





Updated 29/11/01

Please Report any non-working links.

Please feel free to use the information on this page for your own personnel research, but please DO NOT use it for commercial purposes or financial gain. Thankyou.

© 2001 Transcriber and Checker as named above.