Morris and Co.'s Commercial Directory and Gazetteer. 1870

Please notify me of any errors  Contact.

Transcribed by Jack STEER

Checked by Val HENDERSON



Pages 835-836

  LODDISWELL is a village and parish in Kingsbridge union, containing, by the census of 1861, 899 inhabitants, and 3568 acres, including the parish of Buckland-tout-Saints; in the deanery of Woodleigh, archdeaconry of Totnes, diocese of Exeter, hundred of Stanborough, South Devonshire; 3 miles north-west from Kingsbridge; pleasantly situated on rising ground on the north side of the river Avon. This river was formerly noted for its plentiful supply of salmon, which of late years had so materially decreased, that a society was formed for its preservation, whose efforts have been successful, and salmon again abounds in its waters. The vicarage, with the chapelry of Buckland-Tout-Saints annexed, had the tithes commuted, in 1838, at £261 per annum, and has residence and 111 acres of glebe land; it is in the incumbency of the Rev. Henry Townend, B.A., and the patronage of Mrs. Townend. The rectorial tithes were also commuted at £281 per annum; the trustees of the Freke family are the impropriators. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, was principally erected in the fifteenth century, but portions of it appear to be of a much earlier date. It was thoroughly restored, by subscription, in 1868, and two handsome stained glass windows added - one in the transept representing St. Michael and the two patron saints of the diocese: it is by Beer, of Exeter, and was presented by Miss Wise of Ide; the other window, in the east end, is by Baillie , of London, and is a copy of West's picture of "Christ blessing little children." The Independents have a place of worship here, which was erected in 1864; and there are National and British Schools for children of both sexes. There is a Reading and News Room, which was established by the late R. Peck, Esq., in 1839, who also provided means for the poor to have medical attendance free at this place once a week. In 1725 Richard Phillips devised a house and lands for the benefit of the poor and the repairs of the church, from the proceeds of which about £50 per annum is annually distributed at Easter upon his tombstone in the church. There are also other charities for the relief of the poor and the repairs of the church.

BLACKDOWN HILL, at the north end of the parish, was evidently a Roman encampment. Copper mines were formerly worked here, but are now discontinued. Yellow ochre is manufactured from the soil of this down.


Clergy and Gentry.

FRIEND Mr. George

PEEK William, Esq., J.P., Hazlewood

PINE-COFFIN Charles, Esq., Woolston house

TOWNEND Rev. Henry, B.A., The Vicarage

WILLING Mr. Robert Phillips, Hound

WISE Mrs. Eliza, Alleron

YALLAND Rev. James (Independent)

Trades and Professions

ADAMS John Thomas, farmer, Knap

ADAMS Richard, farmer, Week

BOON Mrs. Ann, sextoness

BOWDEN William, mason

CAME John, farmer, Combe

DENBOW George, farmer, Tunley

DENBOW John, farmer

GUEST John, farmer and haulier

HARVEY James, boot and shoemaker, and sub-postmaster

HILL John, Woolcomber

HINE James, carpenter

HINE John, carpenter

HORTON John, farmer, Heathfield

KENNARD John, blacksmith

KERSWELL Nicholas, farmer, Yanston

KING John, miller

LAKEMAN George, farmer, Greatgate

LIDSTONE Mrs. Amelia, shopkeeper

LIDSTONE William, tailor

LUSCOMBE Aaron, "Church House" Inn

LUSCOMBE Alexander, shopkeeper

LUSCOMBE George, tailor

LUSCOMBE Henry, carpenter

LUSCOMBE -, miller and baker, Knap mill


MARTIN Robert, farmer, Hatch Arundell

POPE John, farmer, Wigford

POPPLESTONE John, farmer

POPPLESTONE Philip, carpenter

POPPLESTONE Robert, carpenter and parish clerk

PRETTEJOHN Nathaniel, farmer, Yanston

PRETTEJOHN Richard King, farmer, Hatch Arundell

PROWSE John, carpenter

ROGERS Richard, farmer

RUNDLE Thomas, "Turk's Head" Inn

SANDOVER Elias, wheelwright

TALLMAN Mrs. Mary, "Bridge" Inn

TALLMAN William, farmer, Ham?

TAYLOR John, mason

WARD Henry, boot and shoemaker

WILLING Charles Thomas, farmer, Reeds

WILLING Thomas, butcher

WYATT Josiah, miller, New mills

YALLAND Eli, carrier

YALLAND James, butcher and farmer

YALLAND Thomas, farmer

YALLAND William, boot and shoemaker


Post office - James Harvey, sub-postmaster. Letters from Kingsbridge arrive at 9.30 a.m.; dispatched at 3.45 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Kingsbridge.


British School - Geo. Brinkworth, master; Mrs. Elizabeth Brinkworth, mistress


National School - Miss Louisa Blackmore, mistress


Carrier - Eli Yelland, to Plymouth, Sat









Updated 25/10/01