Transcribed from - Morris and Co.'s Commercial Directory and Gazetteer. 1870
Please notify me of any errors. Contact.
Transcribed by Val HENDERSON
Checked by William COOKE
Pages 413 - 414
ST. GILES-IN-THE-WOOD (or STOW ST. GILES) is a village and parish in Torrington union, containing, by the census of 1861, 962 inhabitants, and 4827 acres; in the deanery of Torrington, archdeaconry of Barnstaple, diocese of Exeter, hundred of Fremington, North Devonshire; 3 miles east from Great Torrrington, 8 south-east from Bideford, and 8 south-west from Umberleigh Station on the North Devon Railway. The vicarage, in the incumbancy of the Rev. Charles E. Littledale, M.A., is valued at £130 per annum, with residence and 3 acres of glebe land, and is in the patronage of the Hon. Mark Rolle. The church is an ancient edifice, dedicated to St. Giles, consisting of nave, chancel, transept, north and south aisles, with tower containing six bells; it was restored by the Hon. Mark Rolle in 1862, at a cost of £2000. The Baptists and Wesleyans have places of worship here, and there are Parochial Schools for children of both sexes. There are four almshouses for aged women, which have an endowment of £5 per annum.
STEVENSTONE HOUSE, the residence of the Hon. Mark Rolle, who is lord of the manor and chief landowner, is a noble mansion, in the midst of a fine park well stocked with deer, and is now undergoing a complete restoration. Gas works are also being erected for the use of the mansion. The estimated cost of improvement is £50,000. A pack of foxhounds are kept at kennels here, which are hunted regularly during the season.
DODSCOTT, 1 mile east; HEALAND, 1½ mile south-west; HIGH BULLER*, 1 mile north; and KINGSCOTT, three quarters of a mile south, are hamlets of this parish.
* 'HIGH BULLER' should read 'HIGH BULLEN'.
Please feel free to use the information on this page for your own personnel research, but please DO NOT use it for commercial purposes or financial gain. Thankyou.
© 2001 Transcriber and Checker as named above.