Western Peverel

Weston Peverel.

Transcribed from - Morris and Co.'s Commercial Directory and Gazetteer. 1870

Please notify me of any errors. Contact.

Transcribed by Val HENDERSON

Not Checked

  WESTON PEVEREL (or PENNYCROSS) is a chapelry forming part of the parish of St Andrew's, Plymouth, in Plympton St. Mary union, containing, by the census of 1861, 315 inhabitants, and 1281 acres; in the deanery of Plympton, archdeaconry of Totnes, diocese of Exeter, hundred of Roborough, South Devonshire; 3 miles north-west from Plymouth, and 13 south from Tavistock. The living is a curacy attached to the vicarage of St.Andrew's, Plymouth, and is held by the Rev. Peter Holmes, D.D., domestic chaplain to the Right Hon. the Countess Rothes. The church dedicated to St. Pancras, was an ancient edifice, which was rebuilt in 1820, and has recently undergone restoration. It is in the form of a Latin Cross, and consists of transepts, in lenght 47 feet - and width 22 feet - chancel, with east end, 35 feet in length by 13 feet in width, having on the north side an additional space, with organ, &c. The western end extends 20 feet from the transepts, and has two entrances, one on the north side, and the other on the south, having at the west end a vestry and stairs leading to a gallery over. The building affords accommodation for 280 sittings. The entire internal fittings are of pitch pine,varnished. The pavement of the aisles is of encaustic and mosaic tiles, supplied by Messrs. Minton, Taylor, and Co., of Stoke-upon-Trent. The chancel floor is laid with Wirth's parqueterie, extending to the eastern arch, separating the chancel from the east or altar end, the latter having a beautiful encaustic and mosaic tile paving, with a reredos of the same materials, with the addition of majolica tiles, and the side walls are similarly lined to the height of three feet. These works were executed by Messrs. Minton, Hollins, and Co., Patent Tile Works, Stoke-upon-Trent. The windows on the north and south sides are filled with stained glass. The decorations of the east end, above described, and such as are not yet completed, including the altar railings, are the gifts of Captain and Miss foot of Tor Grove. The east window is to have stained glass, presented by the Rev. J. Hall Partly, of Manadon Hall. the two new windows in the west wall are to be filled with stained glass; that in the south transept by Messrs. Hardman and Co., Birmingham, as a memorial placed there by Capt. Foot; and the corresponding window in the north transept, by the same artists, is to be a testimonial to the Rev. C.T. Collins Trelawny, of Ham, by the parishioners, on his resigning the office of minister of the parish, which he had held for 27 years. The left light is to contain the Baptism of Our Lord; the right, Christ's Charge to Peter- "Feed my Sheep"; and the head or top light of widows, the figure of St. Pancras, to whom the church is dedicated. The window on the north side of transept is by Wailes, of Newcastle, as a memorial to the late Mrs. Fitzgerald, by her husband, Lieut.-Col. Fitzgerald. The ceiling of the church is segmental, and divided into compartments by moulded ribs and bosses, springing from a continuous cornice and enriched corbels. The organ has been altered and improved by Heale, of Truro. The cost of the recent additions and alterations will exceed £1000, raised by voluntary contributions of the parishioners, the present curate ( the Rev. P. Holmes, D.D., F.R.A.S.) liberally assisting. The works have been executed by Mr. Foot, builder, under the superintendence of Mr. O.C. Arthur Archilas, of Plymouth. It was reopened for divine service on the 29th July, 1870.

  BELAIR was formerly the seat of Capt. Thomas Elphinstone, R.N., and at a dinner party given by that gentleman, at which Lord Keith, Lieut.-Governor of Plymouth, and Sir Thomas Duckworth, the Port Admiral, were present, it was decided, at a Council of War held on the receipt of a dispatch from London, that St. Helena should be the destination of Napoleol I., who was a prisoner on board the "Bellerophon", in Plymouth Sound. Mr. Alexander Elphinstone, nephew of the Captain, kept guard at the door with drawn sword, and so important was secrecy deemed at the time, that the Emperor's final destination was not generally know for a fortnight afterwards.

  MONTPELLIER was occupied by Sir Edward Pelew, Bart., afterwards Lord Exmouth, from 1807 to 1811.

  MANADON is an ancient family mansion, which was built in 1567, in the spacious grounds of which the Devon and Cornwall Archery Society, which was established in 1846, hold their meetings. Adjoining the practice grounds is a Swiss cottage, in which are exhibited the crests of the ladies (24 in number) who have been Lady Paramount each year.

  HAM was formerly the residence of Robert Trelawny, Esq., member of Parliament for Plymouth in 1643, who was thrown into prison, where he died, and his estates were confiscated by Oliver Cromwell, in consequence of his adhesion to the Royal cause; they were restored to his heirs by Charles II.

The Rev. John Hall Parlby, M.A., J.P., is lord of the manor, and he and the Rev. Charles T. Collins Trelawny, Richard Hall Clarke, and W.C. Hodge, Esqs., are the chief landowners.


Clergy and Gentry.

Adams Mr. John, Weston villa

Bryant James, Esq., Peverel Park villa

Foot Capt. George, R.A., J.P., Toor Grove

Gripe John, Esq., Burrington

Hodge Chapell William, Esq.,j.p., Burleigh

Hodge William Chapell, Esq., Pounds

Holloway Mrs. Elphinstone, Belair

Holloway Capt. C.H. Elphinstone, Peverel Park villa

Palmer Lieut.-Col. Edmund, R.A. (Adjutant 2nd Brigade Devon Volunteer Artillery), Box hill

Parlby Rev. John Hall, M.A., J.P., Manadon

Rooker Alfred, Esq., Mount view

Ross John, Esq., Mutley house

Rundle Robert, Esq., Montpellier

Russell Mrs. Charles W., Beauchamp

Taylor Pierce Gilbert Edward, Esq., Beaconfield


Trelawny Rev. Charles T. Collins, M.A., Ham

Treseder Francis Doughty, Esq., Oakland villa

Tubbs Charles Fulger, Esq., Mount athos

Wilson Joseph E.M., Esq., commander R.N., Hong Que

Trades and Professions.

Atwell George, dairyman, Venn

Ball William, organist

Clark William, farmer, Burrington

Cock John, farmer, Pennycross Barton

Cock Richard, farmer, Burraton

Giles John, dairyman, Ham barn

Miller William, sexton

Tapson John, dairyman, Mutley

Tozer John Thomas S., "Camel's Head"


Letters through Plymouth, which is the nearest money order office.