IRC Channels on the Rootsweb servers
Regularly Scheduled on irc.rootsweb.com
IRC at Rootsweb
IRC Genealogical Chat Channels at Rootsweb. Updates or questions? Email me. Are you new to IRC?
- Channels always open at Rootsweb. To join any of these channels, just type /join #channelname with the actual name of the channel, and hit return. You can join as many channels as you like.
- #rootsweb-admins: permanent channel, open to anyone. Talk is usually about administrative issues around Rootsweb, but genealogical questions are also asked, answered and pondered.
- #RootsWeb-Help: for Rootsweb Staff help, this is the place to go. Ask your question, but be patient -- Staff are often working at other tasks, and may not be able to help immediately.
- #list-admins: Ms. Piglet's channel for List and Board Administrators. Come with questions or problems, or just hang out with your fellow admins.
- #genealogy: Genealogy and family history. Usually open. If it isn't, type /join #genealogy, and open it up!
- #htmlhelp: A theme channel for the discussion of HTML from beginner assistance to more advanced tips and techniques. It will primarily be a troubleshooting Q&A session and is for the many genealogists who want or already have web sites. Sundays at 11:30 AM and 8 PM Eastern Standard Time, generally lasting 60-90 minutes.
Channel operator Holly Timm (MamaT). More information at: HTMLHelp.
- #imagehelp: An informal discussion of image editing and creation, particulary for use on web sites and mostly PaintShopPro users, from beginner assistance to more advanced tips and techniques. It will primarily be a troubleshooting Q&A session with some topic discussions and tutorials. Sundays at 1 PM and 7 PM Eastern Standard Time, generally lasting 60-90 minutes.
Channel operator Holly Timm (MaMaT). More information at: HTMLHelp.
- United States GenWeb (USGW) channels. The USGenWeb Project has received approval to open chat rooms on the Rootsweb IRC server, irc.rootsweb.com . They will be called #USGenWeb - xxxx, as in #USGenWeb - Board, #USGenWeb - Archives, #USGenWeb - Census, or a general channel called #USGenWeb. State level meeting will be called #TXGenWeb,# VAGenWeb, #ARGenWeb, etc.
For more information, see: The US GenWeb Project IRC Chat Rooms.
- International Internet Genealogical Society (IIGS) Channels. Set up exclusively for genealogy, the IIGS™ IRC is open 7 days a week, 24 hours per day so genealogists around the world can meet and exchange knowledge and ideas. For more information see: I.I.G.S.™ I.R.C. Internet Relay Chat.
The regularly scheduled IIGS-sponsored chats are:
- #DearMYRTLE: Genealogy Advice - DearMYRTLE provides down-to-earth, practical, advice for beginning and intermediate genealogy researchers.
Your channel host is: Myrt. Information on upcoming events can be found at: DearMYRTLE.com.
- #alsace: Alsace Gen Chat - Anyone who's interested in Alsatian genealogy is invited to come to chat; German, French or English. We'll help with any needed translation. Each Friday from 20.00 GMT to 23.00 GMT.
For further information see: Alsachat.
- #ahnenforschung.net: Deutscher Genealogie-Chat (German Genealogy Chat) - Im deutschen Genealogie-Chat treffen sich Ahnenforscher, um über ihr gemeinsames Hobby zu reden, Erfahrungen auszutauschen und voneinander zu lernen. Die Chatsprache ist deutsch, Leute aus der ganzen Welt sind herzlich willkommen.
(This meeting is intended as a get together for people researching ancestors and descendants in Germany. The chat language is German.)
Your channel hosts are: Birgit Wendt (Biggi2000) and Sascha Ziegler (Sascha_Z) .
- #genealogie.fr: French Genealogy - The purpose of this channel is to help those all over the world who are searching for French ancestors, to get together and have a chance to speak to French genealogists. It is mostly meant for English speaking people; another channel on another server is being used for French speaking genealogists.
When joining this channel at regular meeting hours, if there is no one there, please wait until someone comes. If there is no reply from whomever appears on the list, please feel free to DCC them as they are probably on the other server as well. Also, watch the topic, which may specify another meeting place. Once the contact is made, someone from the other channel will come to talk to you and invite you to join in.
Your channel host is: Bernard Debreil. More information at: Bernard DEBREIL's webpage. See also the weekly posting regarding the channel on: soc.genealogy.french newsgroup.
- #benelux: Belgium, Netherlands, Luxemburg - For those researching in Belgium, Netherlands (Holland), Luxemburg, or with an interest in these areas. Great for folks whose ancestors settled in New York 1600s in the first Dutch settlements.
Your channel host is: Jan Daamen (Jan).
RootsWeb | Computers - Freepages | AUP | What's New? | Contributors | HelpDesk