||September-Capt. John Smith and 12 men
sailed 6-7 miles up the Elizabeth River through Hampton Roads and discovered
Indian habitation and "the greatest pine and firre trees wee ever saw
in the country."
||Capt. William Tucker wrote a land grant
for 650 acres at Seawell's Point, which started the movement of settlers
south from the Peninsula to the Elizabeth River. The settlement soon
spread towards the Lynnhaven and Nansemond Rivers.
||The Colony of Virginia was divided into
eight shires, which later became known as counties.
||Elizabeth City County was divided into
two counties; the western portion was Upper Norfolk County (later changed
to Nansemond) and the eastern portion was Lower Norfolk County (later
evolving into Norfolk County and Princess Anne County, eventually becoming
the cities of Chesapeake and Va. Beach, respectively).
||Master mariner and ship owner, Capt.
William Carver, settled in the area currently known as Portsmouth, He was
later convicted of treason and hung. Carver's land was granted to Lt. Col.
William Crawford, a wealthy merchant and ship owner.
||William Carver patented 890 acres of land
bringing to a total of 1,129 acres with additional lands.
||Captain William Carver hanged by Governor
William Berkeley for his role in Bacon's Rebellion.
||Lower Norfolk became extinct, when from
it's area were formed the counties of Norfolk and Princess Anne.
||Norfolk County Courthouse at the corner
of High St. and Court St. established (later became part of Norfolk City)
Burned by Dunmore. Rebuilt between 1784 and 1788 (first courthouse.)
||Part of lands Carver had patented granted
to Lt. Col. William Crawford, frequently spelled "Craford" or
"Crafford." Crawford was a wealthy merchant and ship owner, and
at various held high offices.
||Portsmouth founded by Col. William
||Portsmouth Parish now Trinity Church
formed at the corner of High St. and Court St.
||Colonel Crawford died, left major portion
of his land to George and Thomas Veale.
||First annexation by Town of Portsmouth.
||Gosport Shipyard established.
||Royal government ended.
||Norfolk burned by Lord Dunmore.
||Fort Nelson and Gosport Shipyard burned
by the British troops under Gen. Matthews.
||British troops invaded and fortified
||Benedict Arnold and troops occupied and
||Second annexation (Gosport) by Town of
||Frigate Chesapeake, first ship built by
the Federal Government, completed.
||Lincolnsville, in Portsmouth established
(area for free blacks.)
||Portsmouth authorized as seat of Norfolk
||Portsmouth courthouse built on 3rd site.
||City of Hampton burned.
||Dismal Swamp Canal opened.
||British landed 2600 men at Port Norfolk
(now part of Portsmouth). Guns of Fort Nelson and Fort Norfolk stopped
||First steamboat entered Portsmouth
||First lightship in the U.S. was stationed
off Craney Island.
||U.S.S. Delaware launched at Gosport Navy
Yard (the first battleship built in a government owned yard) Third ship to
carry this name.
||Fort Nelson demolished, Naval Hospital
||First Portsmouth newspaper established.
||Portsmouth Naval Hospital opened.
||First Railroad chartered.
||First steam ferry between Portsmouth and
||U.S.S. Delaware entered Drydock No. 1 at
the Gosport Navy Yard. Fist ship to be drydocked in America.
||Ferry landing changed from foot of North
St. to High St.
||Another Portsmouth courthouse erected in
||Portsmouth public schools authorized by
law; opened in 1847.
||Yellow fever epidemic killed 1089 people.
||Ocean House, later named Hotel Monroe.
||Portsmouth became a city.
||Confederates burned Gosport Navy Yard and
sunk the U.S.S. Delaware.
||CSS Virginia, built from the burned U.S.S.
Merrimac at Navy Yard.
||Gosport Shipyard renamed Norfolk Naval
||Third annexation (Park View) by
||Main building of Naval Hospital
demolished, except for portico, new one erected.
||Fourth annexation (Scottsville and
||Cradock (whites) and Truxton (blacks)
||Fifth annexation (Port Norfolk and
||Radio broadcasting began in Portsmouth
with station WSAP, which was succeeded in 1953 by WAVY.
||Sixth annexation (Westhaven and Waterview.)
||Portsmouth Naval Shipyard Museum founded
in the Shipyard. Moved to Portsmouth waterfront in 1963.
||Elizabeth City County became extinct.
||Elizabeth River Tunel opened for
operation (between Portsmouth and Norfolk.)
||Portsmouth-Norfolk ferries made last
||First Portsmouth television station (WAVY
||Lincolnsville, in Portsmouth demolished.
||Seventh annexation (Cradock, Alexander
Park, Simonsdale, Elizabeth Manor and other developments.)
||Portsmouth Marine Terminal began
||Eighth annexation (West Norfolk, Craney
Island, parts of Churchland and Western Branch district of old Norfolk