Van Tassel Family History Home Page
Hosted websites will become read-only beginning in early 2024. At that time, all logins will be disabled, but hosted sites will remain on RootsWeb as static content.
Website owners wishing to maintain their sites must migrate to a different hosting provider before 2024 (More info)
Van Tassel Family History Homepage
"A Pedigree Partly Indian, Partly Batavian"
Van Tassel Family Ball Team - 1903
Welcome to the Van Tassel Family History Homepage! My name
is Rick Van Tassel and I hope to create a gathering place for all VT's and cousins.
I've managed to collect quite a bit of VT family history material and hope to
post it here in the future.
Pictured above is my GGGrandfather George Washington Van Tassel and his
ten ballplaying sons. Included in the above photo are: (top row left
to right) Grover, Jefferson (my GGrandfather), George W.,
Charles, William. Second row: Levi, George, Paul, Seymour, John.
In front of the group is young Avery. A copy of this photo is now
in the National Baseball Hall of
Fame in Cooperstown, N.Y.
- The above picture of the Van Tassel ballteam appears on page 34 of the
March 1999 issue of Life Magazine and is featured on page 43 of the April
issue of Reminisce Extra Magazine.
- I'd like to thank cousin Glenn Van Tassel for providing me
with this copy.
This web site is dedicated to the many Van Tassel mothers who, because
of European societal attitudes and laws introduced into America, could not aspire
to a career--let alone leadership of their people as was possible in Catoneras'
time and before. Under those constraints, our mothers' feats should be
considered nothing less than heroic. They were the ones responsible for
caring for the family and preserving family traditions. They deserve a
lasting tribute and Avery Tracy Van Tassel (pictured above) expresses
that tribute quite profoundly on the VT Memory page.
Search the Van Tassel Family History Homepage!
Genealogy and Family History:
- Daniel Van Tassel - The Original Van
Tassel Family Historian.
- NOW AVAILABLE!!! "Genealogy of the Van Texel/Van Tassel Family" by Daniel Van Tassel (Circa. 1900) - A HUGE thanks to cousin Andrew VT for his work in making this monumental work available to all! [Caution - very large PDF file - must have Adobe Acrobat/Reader installed to view.]
Van Tassels in Europe:
Van Tassels in America:
- Catoneras - A Sachem's
(Chief's) Legacy to Her Descendants: Native American Heritage and Ancestral
- The Immigrant Ancestor - Cornelis
Jansen Van Texel weds Catoneras, a Sachem of Long Island; forever ensuring
that all American Van Tassel descendants share in a pedigree partly Indian,
- The First (American born) Generation
- Jan Cornelissen Van Texel and wife, Annetje Alberts, remove to Philipsburg
Manor and become founding members of the Old Dutch Church of Sleepy Hollow.
They and their children file suit to claim rights to Native American
My Van Tassel Line of Descent:
- Second Generation - Jacob
and Aeltje Storm Van Tassel of Philipsburg Manor, life-long members
of the Old Dutch Church.
- Third Generation - Theodorus
and Maritje Boen Van Tassel - Three sons fight for the cause of the
- UPDATED: Fourth Generation - Theodore
Van Tassel marries Mary Ransom Bush - Two sons volunteer for duty in
the War of 1812, and another devotes his life to missionary work with Native
- UPDATED: Fifth Generation - Abram Van
Tassel - Veteran of the War of 1812, weds Zenitia Tinkcom, 6th generation
- UPDATED: Sixth Generation - George Washington
Van Tassel marries Manerva Miller. Proud parents of the Van Tassel Family
- UPDATED: Seventh Generation - Jefferson
Miller Van Tassel (Baseball brother, Tinner, Inventor, Traveller) marries
Mabel Magill, Stenographer, (daughter of Charles Magill and Mirabelle
Van Tassel Family Records:
- VT Family Bible Page - Know
of any old VT Family Bibles anywhere? Please copy them and we can post
them here for future generations.
Van Tassels in Service to their Country:
- Van Tassels in the French-Indian War - Five Van Tassels pay the ultimate price for taking the first step against European Occupation.
- Van Tassels in the Revolution - A recount
of the VT Family's contributions to the struggle for independence in Westchester
County, New York . Included are excerpts from Washington Irving's "Wolfert's
Roost" recalling the bravery of Jacob Van Tassel in defending "The Roost"
- later to become Washington Irving's own home, Sunnyside. Also Revolutionary
War Pension Applications.
- Van Tassels in the War of 1812 - Records
of VT's at the National Archives. Also, Zenitia Tinkcom Van Tassel's
(mother of George pictured above) application for widow's pension.
- Van Tassels in the Civil War
- Please help by submitting any VT Civil War related material (i.e. journals,
stories, pension files, obits, pictures, etc).
Tassel Family's First Americans Page
- Read Adriaen Van Der Donck's observations of America's
original people, tradition, and culture (1648).
- John Van Tassel testifies in support of perhaps America's Greatest
and Least Known Hero: Daniel Nimham--A quest for ancestral homelands and American
Sleepy Hollow - A special place in our heritage.
- Philipsburg Manor -
Rent Rolls (1732 & 1760), Revolutionary War Petitions ('79, '82,
'84), & letter to Mr. Philipse ('83).
- VT Memory Page - Send copies of your
old Van Tassel journals, diaries, stories, poems, letters, etc.
NEW: Van Tassel Parables:
- From a Dog's Point of View - VTs - surely not European pure-breds, just good old American mutts from Tarrytown (and darned proud of it!)
Van Tassel descendants genealogy/family history pages:
Van Tassel family and personal webpages:
Van Tassel Firsts:
H. Van Tassel - One of three engineers credited with inventing the electronic
- Van Tassel Family Circus - Daring Pioneers in Balloon Aviation
around the globe.
Park A. Van Tassel- July 4, 1882--New Mexico's First Manned
P.A. Van Tassel- Summer, 1883--"One of the first itinerant balloonists
Van Tassel - January, 1888: parachutes a donkey to safety, Oakland,
Van Tassel - November 2, 1889--Performs the first fully successful
manned balloon ascent in Hawaiian Island history, but tragedy strikes
two weeks later.
Van Tassel - 1890--made Australian air history when she ascended in
a balloon, suspended from a trapeze bar, two kilometres above Newcastle.
Van Tassel- March 16, 1892--"...a daredevil balloonist
who enthralled thousands of amazed Dhakiites" (Bangladesh), but tragedy
strikes once again.
- Isaac Van Tassel - attended the first Women's Rights Convention and a
signatory to the Declaration of Sentiments.
Van Tassels in Literature:
- Washington Irving's Katrina
Van Tassel - "...Universally famed not only for her beauty, but her vast
- Louisa May Alcott's Kitty
Van Tassel - " ...an air of worldly wisdom which contrasted oddly with
her youthful face and giddy manners."
- James Fenimore Cooper's Squire
Van Tassel - "...one of the odious class of country userers."
George Van Tassel - (son of Paul pictured above) "Author, inventor
and controversial UFO advocate. Some agreed, some disagreed with his philosophy.
None found him boring."
- GeorgeVanTassel.com - "Like
the Phoenix rising from ashes, The Ministry of Universal Wisdom is being reborn
Occupants" - Gregory Bishop with Kenn Thomas remembers George Van Tassel's
annual Giant Rock interplanetary spacecraft conventions.
Misc. Van Tassel Links:
L. Van Tassel - (nephew of George W. above) biography appearing
in "History of South Dakota."
George Washington regrettably informs N.Y. Governor Clinton of a
Van Tassel family member's death during the Revolutionary War. (images 351
Van Tassel: (son of Alonzo and Ellen Jane Van Tassel) Cowboy and
deputy sheriff - recalls nabbing horse thieves and chasing the Owl Saloon
- Sir Guimond
de Tessel - (French spelling of Van Tassel) Knight who sailed with
William the Conqueror to invade England in 1066.
- Horace Van Tassel - Musical Composer (1849-1880)
James M. Van Tassel (1844-1927) - Biography of the Civil War veteran appearing
in 1892 Portrait & Biographical Album of Genesee, Lapeer & Tuscola
Counties, Chapman Bros.
Tassel Apartments (1928) - Construction in Sleepy Hollow financed by John
D. Rockefeller Jr. (page 12).
Have a Van Tassel Genealogy question? Feel free to e-mail, post it at the
Van Tassel Family Genealogy
Forum, or send it to the Van Tassel Rootsweb Mailing list below.
VANTASSEL-L - Mail list at rootsweb administered by Diane Ward Sives.
Any comments, suggestions, or ideas are
Send me mail by clicking on the Van Tassell,
Wyoming, Post Office.
Thanks goes out to Guido Van Tassel of Belgium
for providing this photograph.