Descendants of Johann Philip Hoffelder
Generation No. 11. JOHANN PHILIP1 HOFFELDER was born Abt. 1796, and died Bef. 1851 in Prob. Bundenthal, Pfalz, Bavaria. He married MAGDELENA BREINER 11 November 1816 in Bundenthal, Pfalz, Bavaria. She was born Abt. 1796 in Prob. Bundenthal, Pfalz, Bavaria, and died in Prob. Bundenthal, Pfalz, Bavaria.
Johann Philip Hoffelder was a farmer. His signature appears on son Johann's baptism record 24 Apr 1823.
Bundenthal (zip code 76891) is located in the Palatinate area of Germany, approximately 50 km west of the city of Karlsruhe, and 10 km west of Bad Bergzabern. Directly connected to Bundenthal is the village of Bruchweiler-Bärenbach. The town of Bundenthal, where the Hoffelder family lived for several generations, is located in the German Pfalz, (Rhineland Pfalz or Rhineland Palantinate) in what was at that time a part of Bayern (Bavaria), and which is referred to as the "Palatinate". The people of the Palatinate are called "Palatines".
The town church in Bundenthal
On the road to Bundenthal
On 20 September 1965, Helen (Schaefer) and Albert J. Wallner visited the village of Bundenthal and met "Cousin" John (whom we assume must have been a "John Hoffelder".) We have no clue to Cousin John's identity, or how he actually was related to Helen, other than on the back of one of the photographs it is written that Cousin John was a Butcher.
Cousin John, Helen (Schaefer) Wallner and Cousin John's Wife
Children of JOHANN HOFFELDER and MAGDELENA BREINER are:
2. i. FRANCIS CAROL2 HOFFELDER, b. 04 August 1817, Bundenthal, Pfalz, Bavaria.
3. ii. JOHANN HOFFELDER, b. 24 April 1823, Bundenthal, Pfalz, Bavaria; d. Bundenthal, Pfalz, Bavaria.
4. iii. CATHERINA HOFFELDER, b. 07 February 1829, Bundenthal, Pfalz, Bayern.
iv. BARBARA HOFFELDER, b. 29 June 1831, Bundenthal, Pfalz, Bayern.
Generation No. 2
2. FRANCIS CAROL2 HOFFELDER (JOHANN PHILIP1) was born 04 August 1817 in Bundenthal, Pfalz, Bavaria. He married MARIA ANNA SCHMITT 12 September 1842 in Bundenthal, Pfalz, Bavaria1. She was born Abt. 1820.
Francis Carol Hoffelder was a farmer.
Children of FRANCIS HOFFELDER and MARIA SCHMITT are:
i. JOANNES3 HOFFELDER, b. 28 July 1843, Bundenthal, Pfalz, Bavaria2.
ii. CATHERINA HOFFELDER2, b. 02 December 1846, Bundenthal, Pfalz, Bavaria; m. FRIDERIC REINIG, 08 June 1868, Bundenthal, Pfalz, Bavaria3.
iii. BARBARA HOFFELDER4, b. 21 August 1854, Bundenthal, Pfalz, Bavaria; m. CHRISTIAN HOFF, 03 October 1876, Bundenthal, Pfalz, Bavaria.
iv. MARIA ANNA HOFFELDER4, b. 10 October 1857, Bundenthal, Pfalz, Bavaria.
v. PETER HOFFELDER4, b. 13 July 1863, Bundenthal, Pfalzl, Bavaria.
3. JOHANN2 HOFFELDER (JOHANN PHILIP1) was born 24 April 1823 in Bundenthal, Pfalz, Bavaria, and died in Bundenthal, Pfalz, Bavaria. He married MARIA ANNA DINNY 13 November 1848 in Bundenthal, Pfalz, Bayern5. She was born in Bundenthal, Pfalz, Bavaria6, and died in Bundenthal, Pfalz, Bavaria.
Johann Hoffelder's name may have been Johann Francis. He was a farmer.
Children of JOHANN HOFFELDER and MARIA DINNY are:
5. i. BARBARA3 HOFFELDER, b. 20 May 1849, Bundenthal, Pfalz, Bavaria; d. 08 March 1935, Ridgewood, Queens Co, NY.
6. ii. PETER HOFFELDER, b. 27 October 1851, Bundenthal, Pfalz, Bavaria; d. Abt. 1940.
iii. ANNA MARIA HOFFELDER, b. 03 July 1854.
iv. MARIA ANNA HOFFELDER, b. 23 September 1858.
v. FRANCISCA HOFFELDER, b. 18 December 1861, Bundenthal, Pfalz, Bayern; d. 02 August 1932, Kings Co. Hospital, Kings Co., New York; m. JOSEPH LEIDNER, Abt. 1885, Prob. Bundenthal, Pfalz, Bayern; b. 07 July 1865, Bruchweiler-Bärenbach, Pfalz, Bavaria6; d. 28 March 1925, Prob. Kings Co. New York.
7. vi. CAROLINA HOFFELDER, b. 26 September 1864, Bundenthal, Pfalz, Bavaria; d. 05 December 1960, Brooklyn, Kings Co., New York.
4. CATHERINA2 HOFFELDER (JOHANN PHILIP1) was born 07 February 1829 in Bundenthal, Pfalz, Bayern. She married FRANCES FRÖHLICH 13 November 1848 in Bundenthal, Pfalz, Bavaria7, son of JOANNES FRÖHLICH and MAGDALENA LEININGER. He was born 17 January 1823 in Bundenthal, Pfalz, Bavaria.
Child of CATHERINA HOFFELDER and FRANCES FRÖHLICH is:Generation No. 3
i. PETER3 FROLICH.
5. BARBARA3 HOFFELDER (JOHANN2, JOHANN PHILIP1) was born 20 May 1849 in Bundenthal, Pfalz, Bavaria, and died 08 March 1935 in Ridgewood, Queens Co, NY. She married PHILLIP KOEHLER 31 August 1871 in Budenthal, Pfalz, Bavaria, son of FRANCIS KÖHLER and CATHERINA SCHANZ. He was born 27 October 1845 in Busenberg, Pfalz, Bavaria, and died 01 November 1932 in Ridgewood, Queens Co, NY.
Phillip Koehler married Barbara Hoffelder in her hometown of Bundenthal, in the Pfalz, located next to Busenberg. The witnesses to their marriage on 31 August 1871 were Johann Hoffelder, Linenweaver of Bundenthal and Father of the Bride, and George Köhler, citizen of Busenberg.
Translation of Marriage Record from Katholische Kirche Bundenthal (Catholic Church, Bundenthal). Kirchenbuch 1755-1936 (Church Book). Source Film 400455, Page 93, Entry 8:
(Original record is in Latin.)
The Marriage of PHILIP KÖHLER to BARBARA HOFFELDER in Budenthal, Pfalz, Bayern:
31 August 1871
In the year one thousand eight hundred seventy one, the thirty-first of August, after three proclamations, and without finding any canonical impediments, and acception letters of dismission from Rev. Minister G. Helffer of the parish and Deacon in Busenberg, I, Jacob Vogel, of the parish of Bundenthal, married together PHILIP KOHLER from Busenberg, Catholic son of PETER KOHLER and CATHARINA SCHANZ, deceased, spouses in Busenberg, to BARBARA HOFFELDER from Bundenthal, Catholic daughter of JOHANN HOFFELDER and MARIA ANNA DINY, spouses in Bundenthal, before witnesses JOHANN HOFFELDER, father of the bride, and GEORGE KÖHLER, citizen of Busenberg. In testimony whereof, J. Vogel, pastor of Bundenthal.
Phillip and Barbara immigrated to the US from Hamburg, aboard the ship "Westphalia", arriving in New York City NY on 15 January 1872.
On the Westphalia's ship's record, Phillip Koehler's occupation is listed as a farmer. Arriving with Phillip and Barbara was Barbara's brother, Peter Hoffelder, age 20, laborer. They were processed at Castle Garden in New York.
Phillip is listed in the Ridgewood City directories as early as 1899 and the last entry is 1910. The records of the later years indicate he went into the wagon building business, with his son Frank. The 1920 census shows the Koehlers owning the home at 2329 Madison St (now 59-33 Madison St) Ridgewood, Queens Co., NY. At that time, Phillip age 74 and Barbara age 70, are living with their daughter Anna, and their three grandchildren, Helen Barbara Catherine, George Peter and Philip Francis Schaefer, who were the children of their daughter Katherine C. Koehler and her husband, George A. Schaefer, who both died in 1910.
Barbara (Hoffelder) Koehler died on 8 March 1935 in Ridgewood, Queens, NY. She is buried with her husband in St. Johns Cemetery, Middle Village, NY.
An accounting of the distributions from the Estate of Barbara (Hoffelder) Koehler in 1935 included $495.40 to the Peter J. Geis Funeral Home; $250 to Charles Podson, Attorney; $25 to A.J. Wheeler, Special Guardian; $25 to E.M. Helmick, Special Guardian; $438.60 Executor's Commission; and a $100 legacy to Mary Wagenblast. (It is unknown who Mary Wagenblast, or Wogenblast was, but she is buried in the Koehler plot in St. Johns Cemetery, and it is thought that she was Barbara and Phillip's daughter "Marie".
It also shows that Peter Koehler received $1000; Philip Koehler $1000; Anna Schneider $1000; Philip P. Schaefer $333.33; George P. Schaefer $333.33; Helen E. Wallner $333.33; Anna Koehler $166.67; Cynthia E. Koehler $333.33; and Ethel E. Koehler, to Anna Koehler, General Guardian, on acct $500.
(See Phillip Koehler for additional information.)
Children of BARBARA HOFFELDER and PHILLIP KOEHLER are:
8. i. PETER4 KOEHLER, b. December 1874.
ii. ANNA KOEHLER, b. 20 February 1877, Brooklyn, Kings Co., New York; d. 30 March 1954, Baldwin, New York; m. (1) JOSEPH RUPPERT, Abt. 1896; m. (2) PAUL SCHNEIDER, Abt. 1920.
+9. iii. KATHARINA C. KOEHLER, b. 12 February 1879, Brooklyn, Kings Co., New York; d. 05 September 1910, Evergreen Bor. of Queens New York.
10. iv. PHILLIP H. KOEHLER, b. 20 August 1881, Brooklyn, Kings Co., New York; d. 20 July 1966.
11. v. FRANK KOEHLER, b. 16 December 1883; d. 29 April 1928.
vi. MARIE KOEHLER, b. February 1886; d. 09 February 1917; m. UNKNOWN WOGONBLAST.
6. PETER3 HOFFELDER (JOHANN2, JOHANN PHILIP1) was born 27 October 1851 in Bundenthal, Pfalz, Bavaria, and died Abt. 1940. He married CATHERINE SCHLOSSER Abt. 1887 in Waterloo, Dekalb Co., IN, daughter of UNKNOWN SCHLOSSER and CATHERINE MILLER. She was born 28 December 1868 in Illinois, and died 29 January 1969 in Norman OK.
Peter Hoffelder was baptized on 27 October 1851 in the Roemisch-Katholishe Kirche (Roman Catholic Church) in Bundenthal, Pfalz, Bayern. He is listed on this record, written in Latin, as "Patrus", which probably should be "Petrus". This record does not indicate his actual birthdate.
He immigrated to the U.S. on the ship "Westphalia" which sailed from Hamburg to New York City, NY, arriving 15 January 1872. He was accompanied by his sister Barbara Hoffelder Koehler and her husband Phillip Koehler. The passenger list records "Hoffelder, Peter, 20, M., Laborer, from Germany, Dest. USA". His immigration was processed at Castle Garden.
On the 1880 census for Springfield Township, DeKalb Co, Indiana there is listed a John Hoffelder, age 35, farmer. John's wife, Francesca M. age 25, and children Frankie, age 6, Catherine age 5, John age 2, and Lena age 4 months are also listed. In this same area, Peter's future wife, Catherine Schlosser, and her family, are also enumerated. It is unknown what relationship this John Hoffelder had to Peter, but it is assumed that this is the family connection that led Peter to settle in Indiana, where he met and married Catherine Schlosser.
Peter Hoffelder married Catherine Schlosser about 1887, and was 17 years older than his wife, according to his son Fred P. Hoffelder
On the 1900 census, Peter and his wife Catherine are listed living in Dekalb County Indiana, Supervisor's District 12, Enumeration District 63, Sheet 15, in Smithfield Township (Film #1240367). Peter is listed as a farmer, born in Germany and as a naturalized citizen of the U.S. Catherine is listed as the mother of 7 children born, and 7 children living. The census notes that Peter and Catherine had been married 13 years at that time, which verifies they would have been married in approximately 1887. The 7 children listed, all born in Indiana, are: Mary A. age 11, Barbara E. age 10, John, age 8, Lena, age 7, Frederick P. age 6, Rosa age 4 and Eugene F. age 8 months. Daughters Mary A. and Barbara E. are both listed here with "servant" as their occupation. John is the only child listed as attending school. It is also noted that Peter owned his farm, farm schedule #169, with a mortgage.
According to their descendants, Peter Hoffelder and Catherine Schlosser had 14 children. The family home, since 1923, is located at 428 Freeman St, Kendallville, IN 46755.
On the 1880 Federal Census, Catherine, age 11, is enumerated with her grandfather, Frank Miller, his wife Rebecca, her mother Catherine (Miller) Schlosser and six siblings. Also enumerated in Smithfield Township, DeKalb Co., Indiana, is the family of a John Hoffelder. It is unknown what relationship this family had to Catherine's husband, Peter Hoffelder.
Children of PETER HOFFELDER and CATHERINE SCHLOSSER are:
i. ELIZABETH4 HOFFELDER.
ii. PHILIP HOFFELDER.
12. iii. PETER HOFFELDER, b. 15 July 1887, IN; d. 18 April 1970.
iv. JOHN HOFFELDER, b. 19 October 1891, Indiana8; d. May 1967, Norman OK8.
Per Fred P. Hoffelder letter 1967, his brother John was crippled and never married.
13. v. FREDERICK P. HOFFELDER, b. 20 May 1895; d. 25 June 1989, Prob. Kendallville, IN.
vi. MARY A. HOFFELDER, b. September 1888, Indiana.
vii. BARBARA E. HOFFELDER, b. May 1889, Indiana.
viii. LENA HOFFELDER, b. August 1892, Indiana.
ix. ROSA HOFFELDER, b. 1896, Indiana.
x. EUGENE F. HOFFELDER, b. September 1899.
7. CAROLINA3 HOFFELDER (JOHANN2, JOHANN PHILIP1) was born 26 September 1864 in Bundenthal, Pfalz, Bavaria, and died 05 December 1960 in Brooklyn, Kings Co., New York. She married FRANK SEBASTIAN Abt. 1890. He was born Abt. 1867, and died March 1949 in Brooklyn, Kings Co., New York.
Children of CAROLINA HOFFELDER and FRANK SEBASTIAN are:
i. AMALIA4 SEBASTIAN.
ii. EMMA SEBASTIAN.
iii. CAROLINE SEBASTIAN, m. UNKNOWN DIELENSNYDER.
iv. FRANK SEBASTIAN, b. Abt. 1894; d. June 1906.
Generation No. 4
8. PETER4 KOEHLER (BARBARA3 HOFFELDER, JOHANN2, JOHANN PHILIP1) was born December 1874. He married CATHERINE Abt. 1900. She was born December 1874.
Children of PETER KOEHLER and CATHERINE are:
i. ELINOR5 KOEHLER, b. Abt. 1902.
ii. PETER G. KOEHLER, b. Abt. 1906.
iii. JOSEPH KOEHLER, b. Abt. 1914.
Katherine C. Koehler
9. KATHARINA C.4 KOEHLER (BARBARA3 HOFFELDER, JOHANN2, JOHANN PHILIP1) was born 12 February 1879 in Brooklyn, Kings Co., New York, and died 05 September 1910 in Evergreen Bor. of Queens New York. She married GEORGE ALBERT SCHAFER 28 September 1902 in St Brigid's RC Church, Evergreen Bor. Queens, New York. He was born 25 January 1879 in Port Jervis, Orange Co., New York, and died 18 January 1910 in Evergreen Bor. of Queens New York.
Katherine C. Koehler and George A. Schafer were married at St. Brigid's Church, Linden Street and St. Nicholas Avenue, on Sunday afternoon, 28 September 1902, at 4 P.M.
Transcript of Marriage Certificate #6392 City of New York, State of New York
GEORGE A. SCHAFER and KATIE KOEHLER
I hereby certify that GEORGE A. SCHAFER and KATIE KOEHLER were joined in marriage by me in accordance with the laws of the State of New York, in the City of New York, this 28th day of September 1902.
Witnesses to the Marriage: Phillip Koehler
Signature of person performing the Ceremony: Thomas E. Carroll
Date of Marriage: Sept 28 1902
Groom's Full Name: George Schafer
Residence: Wyckoff Av., Evergreen
Single or Widowed: Single
Birthplace: Port Jervis NY
Father's Name: George
Mother's Maiden Name: Kate Dockweiler
Number of Groom's Marriage: 1st
Bridge's Full Name: Katie Koehler
Residence: Wyckoff Av., Evergreen
Single or Widowed: Single
Maiden Name if a Widow: ---
Father's Name: Phillip
Mother's Maiden Name: Barbara Hoffelder
Number of Bride's Marriage: 1st
Name of Person performing Ceremony: Thomas E. Carroll
Official Station: RC. Priest
Residence: Linden St & St. Nicholas
We, the Groom and Bride named in this Certificate, hereby certify, that the information given
therein is correct, to the best of our knowledge and belief.
Signature of Geo. A. Schafer, Groom
Signature of Katie Koehler, Bride
Signed in the presence of: Signature of Ph. Koehler
and Signature of Mary Koehler
Stamp: Bureau of Records, Received Sep 28 1902, Borough of Brooklyn
State of New York CERTIFICATE AND RECORD OF DEATH OF KATHERINE SCHAEFER
The City of New York Department of Health Bureau of Vital Statistics
No. of Certificate: 2781
(Handwritten notation on top of certificate: St. John's Cem Sept 8 1910)
Age: 31 years, Non mos, Non days.
Single, Married, Widowed or Divorced: Widowed
How long in US: Life
How long resident in City of New York: Life
Place of Death: 1775 Madison St., Evergreen Bo. Queens
Character of premises: Private
Father's Name: Philip Koehler
Father's Birthplace: Germany
Mother's Maiden Name: Barbara Hoffelder
Mother's Birthplace: Germany
I hereby certify that I attended deceased from Janur. 15, 1910 to Sept 5, 1910, that I last saw her alive on the 5 day of Sept 1910. She died on the 5 day of September 1910, about 7 o'clock P.M., and that to the best of my knowledge and belief the cause of her death was as follows:
Lobar pneumonia followed by acute pulmonary tuberculosis
(For more information on Kati Koehler, see GEORGE ALBERT SCHÄFER)
Children of KATHARINA KOEHLER and GEORGE SCHAFER are:10. PHILLIP H.4 KOEHLER (BARBARA3 HOFFELDER, JOHANN2, JOHANN PHILIP1) was born 20 August 1881 in Brooklyn, Kings Co., New York, and died 20 July 1966. He married ELIZABETH CHRISTINE GORR, daughter of JOHN GORR and MARIE HEINTZMANN. She was born 15 August 1880 in Brooklyn, Kings Co., New York, and died 17 June 1960 in Ridgewood, Queens Co, NY.
i. GEORGE PETER5 SCHAEFER.
14. ii. HELEN BARBARA CATHERINE SCHAEFER, b. 11 November 1903; d. 11 January 1977.
iii. PHILIP FRANCIS SCHAEFER.
Children of PHILLIP KOEHLER and ELIZABETH GORR are:
i. MARIE C.5 KOEHLER.
ii. PHILIP F. KOEHLER, m. FLORENCE.
11. FRANK4 KOEHLER (BARBARA3 HOFFELDER, JOHANN2, JOHANN PHILIP1) was born 16 December 1883, and died 29 April 1928. He married ANNA. She was born Abt. 1884, and died Abt. 1951.
Child of FRANK KOEHLER and ANNA is:
i. FRANK G.5 KOEHLER, b. Abt. 1908; d. 03 November 1934.
12. PETER4 HOFFELDER (PETER3, JOHANN2, JOHANN PHILIP1) was born 15 July 1887 in IN, and died 18 April 1970. He married ANASTASIA (ANNA) M. RICHTER 15 January 1919 in Deklab Co, IN, daughter of LORENZ RICHTER and MAGDALENE HAHN. She was born 15 May 1894 in IN, and died 20 May 1981.
Children of PETER HOFFELDER and ANASTASIA RICHTER are:
i. MAGDALEN5 HOFFELDER, m. PAUL ROTH.
ii. MONICA HOFFELDER, m. AL DAPP.
iii. JOSEPH HOFFELDER, b. 19 April 1926; d. 07 April 1946.
iv. RUTH ANN HOFFELDER.
13. FREDERICK P.4 HOFFELDER (PETER3, JOHANN2, JOHANN PHILIP1) was born 20 May 18959, and died 25 June 1989 in Prob. Kendallville, IN9.
Fred Hoffelder and his wife had 11 children. The oldest is Laura, the youngest Thomas.
Children of FREDERICK P. HOFFELDER are:
i. LAURA5 HOFFELDER.
ii. THOMAS HOFFELDER.
Generation No. 5
14. HELEN BARBARA CATHERINE5 SCHAEFER (KATHARINA C.4 KOEHLER, BARBARA3 HOFFELDER, JOHANN2, JOHANN PHILIP1)10 was born 11 November 1903 at Wyckoff ave and Summerfield St., Evergreen Bor. Queens, City of NY, NY and died 11 January 1977 in Pompton Plains, Pequannock Twp, Morris Co. NJ. She married ALBERT JOSEPH CHRISTOPHER LOUIS WALLNER10 21 January 1931 in St. Matthias R.C. Church, 58-15 Catalpa Ave., Ridgewood N Y 11227i. He was born 16 February 1901 in 345 South First Street, New York City, New York11,12,13, and died 30 November 1972 in Borough of Lincoln Park, Pequannock Twp., Morris Co., NJ14. (SEE HELEN BARBARA CATHERINE SCHAEFER in Descendants of Georg SCHÄFER).
1. Marriage Records 1788-1885 Roemisch Katholische, Bundenthal, Pfalz, Bayern Film 0400455.
2. Christening Records 1785-1870 Roemisch_Katholische, Bundenthal, Pfalz, Bayern, Source Film 0400455.
3. Marriage Records 1788-1885 Roemisch Katholische, Bundenthal, Pfalz, Bayern Film 0400455.
4. Christening Records 1785-1870 Roemisch_Katholische, Bundenthal, Pfalz, Bayern, Source Film 0400455.
5. Marriage Records 1788-1885 Roemisch Katholische, Bundenthal, Pfalz, Bayern Film 0400455.
6. Christening Records 1785-1870 Roemisch_Katholische, Bundenthal, Pfalz, Bayern, Source Film 0400455.
7. Marriage Records 1788-1885 Roemisch Katholische, Bundenthal, Pfalz, Bayern Film 0400455.
8. Brøderbund Family Archive #110, Vol. 1, Ed. 4, Social Security Death Index: U.S., Social Security Death Index, Surnames from A through L, Date of Import: 2 Feb 1998, Internal Ref. #126.96.36.199052.73
9. Brøderbund Family Archive #110, Vol. 1, Ed. 4, Social Security Death Index: U.S., Social Security Death Index, Surnames from A through L, Date of Import: 2 Feb 1998, Internal Ref. #188.8.131.52052.69
10. WallnerFile.FTW, Date of Import: 18 Apr 1999.
11. Birth Certificate #338, Dept of Health, City of New York, NY Registered #3497 dated 16 February 1901 and Baptismal Record dated10 March 1901, Church of the Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin Mary, 259 North 5th Street, Brooklyn, NY 11211
12. WallnerFile.FTW, Date of Import: 18 Apr 1999.
13. Birth Certificate #338, Dept of Health, City of New York, NY Registered #3497 dated 16 February 1901 and Baptismal Record dated10 March 1901, Church of the Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin Mary, 259 North 5th Street, Brooklyn, NY 11211
14. WallnerFile.FTW, Date of Import: 18 Apr 1999.