Descendants of William Kraft
Generation No. 1
1. William1 Kraft was born Abt. 1847 in Prussia1, and died Bef. 1900. He married Carolina Preuss Abt. 1874, daughter of Matthias Preuss and Christina. She was born Abt. 1854 in Prussia1, and died Abt. 1939.
In the 1880 Federal Census, William "Craft" is enumerated in the city of Albany, Albany County, New York on 101 Philips Street. He is listed with his wife Carolina (Preuss) "Craft", and daughters Maria, age 5, Bertha age 3, and Mina age 9 months. "Mina" is Wilhelmina. William Kraft is listed as a laborer, born in Prussia. His wife was listed as Keeping House, and as being born in Prussia. The three daughters are all listed as being born in New York.
Children of William Kraft and Carolina Preuss are:2 i. Emma2 Kraft. She married Unknown Rosenblith.+ 3 ii. Maria Kraft, born Abt. 1875 in probably Albany, Albany Co., NY2.
4 iii. Bertha Kraft, born Abt. 1877 in probably Albany, Albany Co., NY3.In the 1900 Federal Census for Whiteplains Road, Tarrytown, Westchester, New York, Bertha, age 22, is enumerated with Emile H. Roth as a servant.
+ 5 iv. Wilhelmina Augusta Kraft, born 08 September 1879 in Albany, Albany Co., NY; died 21 August 1954 in Nassau Hospital, North Hempstead, Mineola (Nassau Co) NY.
+ 6 v. Augusta Kraft, born 06 July 1881 in Albany NY; died July 1963 in NY.
Generation No. 2
3. Maria 2 Kraft (William) was born about 1875 in probably Albany, Albany Co., NY. She married Frank Racquet.
Children of Maria Kraft and Frank Racquet are:
7. i. John Racquet. Died as an infant.
8. ii. Carl Racquet. Died at age 2.
+ 9 iii. Mildred Raquet, born 02 October 1900; died 07 July 1984.
5. Wilhelmina Augusta2 Kraft (William1) was born 08 September 1879 in Albany, Albany Co., NY4, and died 21 August 1954 in Nassau Hospital, North Hempstead, Mineola (Nassau Co) NY4. She married (1) William John Brandenstein 27 November 1901 in St Johannes Ev. Lutheran Church, Brooklyn (Kings Co.) NY5. He died Bef. 1911. She married (2) Joseph Louis Wallner 02 September 1911 in Our Lady of Lourdes RC Church Rectory, 11 DeSales Pl, Brooklyn (Kings Co) NY6. He was born 23 October 1873 in Pastetten Bavaria7, and died 08 February 1953 in 87 Aberdeen Road, New Hyde Park, No. Hempstead (Nassau Co.) NY8.
Wilhelmina Augusta Kraft was born 8 September 1879 in Albany, Albany Co., New York, and was known as "Mina" or "Minnie".
On the 1880 Federal Census for 101 Philips Street, Albany, Albany Co., New York, she is enumerated as "Mina" with her parents William and Carolina (Preuss) "Craft" at age 9 months. Two of her sisters, Maria age 5 and Bertha age 3 are also listed.
Wilhelmina was Confirmed 26 May 1893 in the Ev. Lutheran St. Matthias Church, NY.
Wilhelmina Kraft (in driver's seat) & her sisters (Tintype photograph)
On the 1900 Federal Census for 269 Eldert Street, Borough of Brooklyn, Kings County, City of New York, New York, (LDS Film 1241067) Wilhelmina is listed as "Minnie" Kraft, and is enumerated as a "servant", 20 years old, living with the Schluriff (?) or Schluripp (?) family: Carl J. Schluriff (?) age 28, his wife Mary E., age 24, and their two sons, Clinton J. age 2 years, and Carl J., age 2 months. Carl J. Schluriff (?) occupation is listed as policeman.
Wilhelmina (Kraft) Brandenstein Wedding Portrait 1901
Wilhelmina married William John Brandenstein of Evergreen Long Island, New York on 27 November 1901 at St Johannes Ev. Lutheran Church in Brooklyn New York. The marriage was performed by F.W. Oswald, the pastor of this church. She was widowed when William John Brandenstein, according to the family's oral tradition, was "shot" and killed.
Wilhelmina (Kraft) Wallner Wedding Portrait 1911
Her second marriage was to Joseph Louis Wallner on 2 September 1911, in the Borough of Brooklyn, City of New York, New York, Certificate #8662. Wilhelmina's residence at that time was listed as 244 Kingsland Avenue in Brooklyn. She is listed as 31 years old, and a widow on this marriage certificate. Wilhelmina (Kraft) Brandenstein and Joseph Louis Wallner were married by Rev. M.H. Malloy in the church rectory of Our Lady of Lourdes Roman Catholic Church, 11 DeSales Place, Brooklyn, New York. Witnesses to their marriage were Walter E. Fentzke (husband of Elizabeth Dollack) and Caroline Kinzinger, Wilhelmina's half sister. At the time of their marriage, Joseph Wallner was a widower, with two children, Hildegard Elizabeth and Albert Joseph.
Wilhelmina and Joseph's daughter Irma Elizabeth Wallner was born 6 January 1913 and was baptized in St Aloysius Roman Catholic Church in Brooklyn New York.
Wilhelmina (Kraft) Wallner & daughter Irma Elizabeth, Christening 1913
In the 1920 Federal Census, Wilhelmina, age 40, was enumerated with Joseph Wallner at 2333 Catalpa Avenue, Ridgewood, Queens County, New York. The census notes that the residence was rented. Their daughter Irma is listed, age 7, and Joseph Wallner's son by first wife Elfrieda Huch, Albert, is also living with them and is listed as age 19.
When daughter Irma married Clifton C. Dauphin, she signed the wedding guest book on 23 November 1935 as "Mother Wallner". She was called "Grandma Wallner" by Hilda and Albert's children, although she was actually their Step-Great Grandmother.
Wilhelmina (Kraft) and Josef Wallner
Joseph Wallner died on 8 February 1953 at their home on 87 Aberdeen Road in New Hyde Park, New York. Wilhelmina died the next year, on 21 August 1954, at Nassau Hospital in Mineola, North Hempstead, Nassau County, New York, at age 74 years, 11 months and 13 days. On her Certificate of Death #2908, she is listed as a housewife. The certificate states she died after an illness lasting two weeks, the autopsy lists the immediate cause of death as colon cancer, with hypostatic pneumonia listed as a significant condition contributing to her death.
Obituary of Wilhelmina Augusta Kraft Brandenstein Wallner (no name of newspaper noted, the article is hand-dated August 21, 1954):
WALLNER - Wilhelmina of 87 Aberdeen Road, New Hyde Park, suddenly on August 21, 1954. Loving mother of Irma E. Dauphin, Hilda Wallner and Albert Wallner. Dear sister of Augusta Barends, Caroline Howell and Emma Roseblith.Also survived by seven grandchildren and two great-grandchildren. Religious services Monday, August 23 at 8:30 pm in the Weigand Bros. Funeral Home,49 Hillside Avenue, WIlliston Park. Interment Tuesday morning in Mt. Olivet Cemetery, Maspeth, NY.
Obituary of Wilhelmina Augusta Kraft Brandenstein Wallner (no name of newspaper noted, the article is hand-dated August 23, 1954):
Services for Mrs. Wilhelmina Wallner, 74, of New Hyde Park will be held at 8:30 tonight in the Weigand Brothers Funeral Home, 49 Hillside Avenue, Williston Park. Mrs. Wallner died Saturday in Nassau Hospital after a short illness. Born in Albany, she lived 30 years in Glendale before moving to 87 Aberdeen Rd. six years ago. She leaves two daughters, Mrs. Hilda Joseph and Mrs. Irma Dauphin; a son, Albert; three sisters, Mrs. Augusta Barends,Mrs. Caroline Howell, and Mrs. Emma Rosenblith; seven grandchildren, and three great-grandchildren. Burial will be in the Mt. Olivet Cemetery.
The funeral arrangements were actually handled by Lewis Funeral Home, although the services were held in the Weigard Bros. Chapel. Because of this, Weigard Bros. had no record, and Lewis Funeral Home is no longer in existance, so no funeral home record could be located.
The original owner of lot 5337, Section I, at Mt. Olivet Cemetery in Maspeth New York was Wilhelmina's sister, Caroline Kraft Howell. Wilhelmina is buried there with Caroline and Clarence Howell and Harry E. Jung. (Joseph Wallner is interred in St. Johns Cemetery, Middle Village, New York.)
William John Brandenstein:
William John Brandenstein was the first husband of Wilhelmina Augusta Kraft. According to the family oral tradition, he died sometime between November 1901 and 1911 (when Wilhelmina Kraft married her second husband, Josef Louis Wallner.) because he had been "shot".
In the family's possession is a booklet from the German Hospital of Brooklyn Training School for Nurses Commencement Exercise 24 September 1902 at Schwaben Hall, Brooklyn NY, and it lists one of the graduating class as Elizabeth Clara Brandenstein. It is believed that Elizabeth Clara was William's sister. There is also another booklet from 12 May 1904 Commencement Exercises, however no names listed can be connected to any family.
Also in the family's possession is a souvenir of the Monroe Club of Evergreen, Borough of Queens Grand Annual Ball at Fred Deckelmann's Ridgewood Park Hotel dated 25 October 1902. The membership of the club includes Chris. Brandenstein. And on the last page Chris. Brandenstein is listed in the reception committee. Chris. is abbreviated both times in these listings. It is thought that Chris. Brandenstein may be William's brother, or perhaps his father. Enclosed in this booklet is also a tag for Otto E. Reimer Co. Dealers in Mason's materials. On the reverse side is a handwritten list of building materials " Hard Brick, light hard brick, pale brick" etc etc.
Josef Wallner (See Descendants of Andreas Wallner)
Child of Wilhelmina Kraft and Joseph Wallner is:
+ 10 i. Irma Elizabeth3 Wallner, born 06 January 1913; died February 1977.
(Scroll down to Generation 3 for more information.)
6. Augusta2 Kraft (William1) was born 06 July 1881 in Albany NY9, and died July 1963 in NY9. She married Jacob Barends.
Augusta (Kraft) Barends
Augusta Kraft was known as "Gussie".In the 1900 Federal Census for 53 Broad Street, Albany, Albany Co., New York, Augusta is enumerated with Frank Racquet as his "sister in law". (Her sister Maria (Mary) was married to Frank Racquet.) Jacob Barends had been married before, and had two children from his first marriage. His first wife died. Jacob Barends died two years after his second marriage to Augusta Kraft, and she never heard from the children again. Jacob Barends two childrens' names are thought to be Anna and Frederick. Gussie and Jacob Barends did not have any children.
Generation No. 3
9. Mildred Racquet (Maria 2 Kraft, William 1) was born 02 October 1900 and died 07 July 1984. She married Frank Nichols 22 September 1925.
Children of Mildred Racquet and Frank Nichols are PRIVATE.
10. Irma Elizabeth3 Wallner (Wilhelmina Augusta2 Kraft, William1) was born 06 January 191310, and died February 197710. She married Clifton Charles Dauphin 23 November 1935 in Covenant Lutheran Church, Ridgewood (Queens Co.) NY, son of Charles Dauphin and Marie Young. He was born 28 December 1906 in Brooklyn (Kings Co.) NY11, and died 26 November 1982 in McAllen, TX11.
ALSO SEE DESCENDANTS OF ANDREAS WALLNER.
Irma's father, Josef Wallner, was Catholic, her mother Wilhelmina Augusta (Kraft) Wallner was Lutheran. Irma was baptized in St. Aloysius Roman Catholic Church in Brooklyn NY on 19 January 1913. (The baptism certificate incorrectly shows her name as "Elizabeth Irma".) Irma was raised in the Lutheran faith and confirmed 26 March 1926 at Covenant Eva. Lutheran Church in Ridgewood, Queens, NY.
Irma Elizabeth Wallner Confirmation 1926
The 1920 census for 2333 Catalpa Avenue, Ridgewood, Queens NY shows Irma at age 7, listed as attending school, and living with her parents, and step brother, Albert Wallner, age 19.
Clifton Charles Dauphin married Irma Elizabeth Wallner, the daughter of Josef Louis Wallner, and his second wife, Wilhelmina (Kraft) Brandenstein, in Covenant Lutheran Church in Ridgewood, Queens Co. NY. Their wedding reception was held at Trommar's, Bushwich Avenue and Conway St, Brooklyn NY. In the possession of the family is the wedding guest book, which contains a wealth of signatures of family and friends who attended the reception.
VIEW THE WEDDING BOOK
Irma (Wallner) & Cliff Dauphin 1938
Child of Irma Wallner and Clifton Dauphin is "PRIVATE"
1. 1880 Federal Census, City of Albany, Albany County, New York, 72, Supervisors Dist 5, Enumeration Dist 3, LDS Film 1254805, 101 Philips Street.
2. 1880 Federal Census, City of Albany, Albany County, New York, 72, 101 Philiips Street.
3. 1880 Federal Census, City of Albany, Albany County, New York, 72, 101 Philips Street.
4. Death Registration #247, Dist #2908, Inc. Village of Mineola (Nassau Co) NY
5. Marriage record of St Johannes Ev. Lutheran Church, Brooklyn (Kings Co) NY dated 27 November 1901
6. Marriage Certificate #8662 2 Sept 1911 State of NY, City of NY, Boro of Brooklyn
7. Kath. St. Martin, Pastetten, Bavaria, Pgs 222/223 Family Book Record
8. Certificate of Death #1584, NY State Dept of Health, and Death Certificate #53-0046 Town of Hempstead, Manhasset, NY
9. Brøderbund Family Archive #110, Vol. 1, Ed. 4, Social Security Death Index: U.S., Social Security Death Index, Surnames from A through L, Date of Import: 27 Jun 1998, Internal Ref. #220.127.116.1117.53
10. Brøderbund Family Archive #110, Vol. 1, Ed. 4, Social Security Death Index: U.S., Social Security Death Index, Surnames from A through L, Date of Import: 27 Jun 1998, Internal Ref. #18.104.22.168016.140
11. Brøderbund Family Archive #110, Vol. 1, Ed. 4, Social Security Death Index: U.S., Social Security Death Index, Surnames from A through L, Date of Import: 27 Jun 1998, Internal Ref. #22.214.171.124016.65