Watterson Family

Watterson Family


The following is some of the information I have obtained from public sources. 

Hopefully it will be of help or interest to someone else.

I have been trying to organise a better web - follow link


Watterson Family 

McLeod Family of Ulmarra

Associated Family

Sheehy and Sheahan family  - Journey from Cork




Coroners Inquest into the death of Angus Watterson 

reported 31st May, 1864

Death from Drowning -

An inquest was held on Friday last, at the Star Hotel, Dobie-street, Grafton, before Mr. Alfred Lardner J.P. coroner, and a jury of eight touching the death of Angus Watterson who had met his death by drowning in the Clarence River, on the previous Saturday, the 21st instant.  The first witness examined was John Watterson, farmer, residing at Palmer’s Island, who deposed;  -  That the deceased was his son;’ he last him alive a little before 3 pm on Saturday last; about a quarter of an hour after a child named Carr, came running into Watterson’s house, saying “Angus is in the river;” witness and his wife immediately ran down to the river, but could not see anything of the body, and being unable to swim, he went to procure a boat and assistance, they then tracked the boy to a stump that was out of water at low tide; but there was nothing to indicate how he came into the water;  the child, however, stated that he was blown off the stump into the river, there being a strong wind at the time;  his body was not recovered until Thursday last, having been in the water five days; the body was found about half a mile above where the boy was supposed to have fallen in;  he had conveyed the body to Grafton, in order to save time, the body being far advance in decomposition - Hugh Cameron, residing at Harwood Island, proved the finding of the body on Thursday, floating in the river, but entangled in some branched of a tree;  he observed a slight scratch on the side of the mouth, and the body was discoloured, as if it had been in the water for some days.  Dr. Belinfante deposed; he was a duly qualified medical practitioner, residing at Grafton;  he had examined the body of Angus Watterson; there were several abrasions on the face and lower part of the body, caused evidently by the boy coming in contact with something in the water - either branches of trees or stones, probably when he fell in; there were no marks of violence or any evidence of there having been a struggle;  he had no doubt that death had been occasioned by drowning.  The jury without retiring at once found a verdict of  “Accidental Drowning”.  Deceased was eight years of age.  - Mr. Watterson, the father of the lad, has requested us to publicly express his thanks to Captain Henry Creer, of the Agnes Irving, and the neighbours living in the vicinity of the accident, who rendered him every assistance in endeavouring to recover the body.  1.8.1882

Coroners Inquest into Death of John Watterson

29th December, 1877

On Saturday last, an inquest was held at Sheather’s Taloumbi Hotel, Palmer’s Island, before Mr. A. Lardner, J.P. Coroner, and a jury of twelve, on the remains of a human body, supposed to be those of one John Watterson, who was drowned in July of last year.

William Peoples, innkeeper, Iluka, deposed that he knew John Watterson, a boatman, residing at Palmer’s Island:  on a day between the 12th and 13th of  July last year, engaged him to pull myself and family from Palmer’s Island to Iluka:  we arrived at Iluka about 1 o’clock and  deceased left to return home about an hour afterwards;  the tide was then running up, the river calm;  deceased was neither pulling or sailing when witness last saw him;  the boat was drifting with the tide;   about 4 o’clock on the same afternoon saw a boat floating down the river in mid channel with no person in it;  some men took a boat and fetched it in;  then thought it was the boat deceased had pulled witness in, there was a sail and oar gone out of the boat since he left;  deceased appeared sober when he left Iluka; was not aware whether deceased had any drink with him in the boat;  only knew of his having had one glass of brandy at Iluka;  a light breeze sprung up on the afternoon but the river was quite smooth;  the boat was a good waterman’s skiff:  there was light rain on that day, and a few days afterwards a heavy flood in the river; so far as witness knew there was no search made for deceased that day. 

John Rush, innkeeper, Iluka, deposed to seeing deceased at Iluka shortly after midday a few days prior to the flood in July fo 1876;  deceased had apparently taken some drink, but appeared to be capable of taking care of himself and to manage his boat;  thought he took three glasses of rum while there:  did not see him leave, but saw the boat floating down afterwards without an occupant;  no search was made for deceased on that day.

Frank Collins, employed on board the dredge Clarence, deposed to fining on the 8th November, last, on Rabbit Island, the leg bone, pelvis and portions of the bones of the foot of a human being, scattered over a distance of some 20 yards;  the remains were too high from the water to have been brought there by the tide; witness deposed to the finding of portions of clothing at a later date.

James Watterson, farmer, Palmer’s Island deposed that he was the son of the deceased John Watterson;  on 14th July heard his father was missing and on the following day went to Iluka and found his boat;  Mr Moriarty gave him his father’s coat which was found in the boat;  the portion of shirt and trousers produced belonged to witness’s father; there was a flood on the 17th July, and he had no doubt the body was drifted on the Island;  deceased was an experience boatman and could sail a boat when intoxicated;  he could not swim.

Mrs Watterson identified the clothing found on the island as portions of that worn by her late husband.

The jury returned a verdict that they were of the opinion that the remains found were those of John Watterson and that he was drowned on or about the 13th July 1876 by falling out of his boat into the Clarence River near Iluka.


Sporting Families -

excerpt from unknown newspaper circa 1939

 Families have figured largely in the turf history of this State, the association in some instances extending over four or five generations.  Older racing men can recall the success of the Goughs, the Fielders, the Delaneys, the Kuhns, and the Callinans, to mention the most prominent, while the present-day followers of the sport need little reminding of the fame of the Munros and, in a lesser degree, of the Wattersons. The Wattersons have been connected with the Rosehill heath for nearly half a century and, like a well-known whisky, are still going strong.  Norman Watterson, the pioneer of the clan in turf matters, now in his 75th year, commenced his racing career as a wee jockey at Grafton, and after steering innumerable winners at North Coast meetings, he came to Rosehill 48 years ago to set up as a trainer in stables on the Sydney-road, Granville, owned by Mrs. Montgomery.  He brought with him two smart ponies, Annie and Trissie, and these formed the nucleus of his team. In addition to training, Norman Watterson, in his early Rosehill days, did a bit of race riding, his activities in this connection being limited to what were then known as “unregistered courses"  He rode at the old Sydney Driving Park Club, which had a track on the Sydney Showground, the finishing point being near the present equine entrance to the arena.  After a fall of Brumby at the original Rosebery course, he relinquished riding and concentrated on the training of ponies.  His best performer was Shotover, a 14.2 mare, who was a Par Lap among the equine Lilliputians, her wins totalling 48.  Other smart ponies to come under his care were Amanda, a champion at the Epping (now Harold Park) track, Pantomine, Creolin, and Adnama, to mention only a few. Transferring to the horse courses, Watterson was fairly successful, his chief winner in this sphere being Kyloe, who landed the principal handicaps at Rosehill, Canterbury, and Moorefield.  Zealot was another galloper who more than paid his way while in his charge.  Retiring about eight years ago, he is more content now to listen-in to descriptions of races than to suffer the inconvenience and fatigue that his attendance at a meeting would involve. Norman Watterson's  four sons, Harry (Sonny), Norman, Oscar and Leslie were reared in the saddle, and in due course followed in Dad's footsteps.  Sonny, father of the promising apprentice, Keith Watterson, held a jockey's license for 35 years, only relinquishing his ticket two years ago. Donning the colours for the first time at the age of 14, he rode his first winner, Amanda, at the small Epping track.  Then followed a busy career, in the course of which he rode at practically every course in this State and also at Melbourne and Brisbane.  Though he won hundreds of races, he was successful in only one cup event, the Temora Cup, which he landed on Hushboat.  His last win was on Rhamses, owned and trained by Mr. J. Davis, of “Newlands", Parramatta. Keenly interested on Soccer, Sonny Watterson coached the Rosehill public school team, in which three of his sons played, for many years, and it was mainly due to his expert tuition that the school was successful in the schools competitions during several seasons. Les Watterson, now domiciled at Toowoomba, rode in this State before going to Queensland 25 years ago.  Leading horseman at the unregistered courses around Brisbane for four seasons, he transferred to the pure merinoes to achieve further success. Principal wins to his credit are the Rockhampton Cup, and Toowoomba Cup.  Now 41 years of age, he is still engaged in the riding profession and as recent as a fortnight ago bestrode a winner.  Father of Neil Watterson, the Rosehill apprentice, he holds the distinction of having ridden in a race in which his son also had a mount. Though Oscar Watterson has been connected with racing stables all his life strange to relate he has never ridden in a race.  A very capable hand with horses, he is now at Kensington, supervising the preparation of Lady Curia and Juliet Glass. Norman Watterson, junior, who a few years ago met a tragic end, being knocked down and killed by a motor car at Granville, might have gained considerable prominence as a jockey but for the fact that he was afflicted by deafness, and in consequence was unable to obtain a metropolitan license.  He rode at country fixtures, and a fort time before his death had a few minor successes in the far north of this state. Now we come to the third generation, which includes the prominent apprentices, Keith and Neil Watterson.  Keith, one of Sonny Watterson's olive branches, is 16 years of age and apprenticed to his father.  Making his public debut in April of last year, he has had, in the comparatively short period of fifteen months, 118 mounts for 12 wins, 12 seconds, and a similar of thirds.  For a time he was attached to Maurie Anderson's stables, and in August last rode his first winner, Orelton, on of that trainer’s team.  He also won a double for Anderson on Hermoine at Richmond.  His best wins were on Gimme at Rosehill and on Envoy at Ascot. Had Keith not adopted race riding as a profession, he might have become a champion at Soccer. For five years he was captain of Rosehill School Soccer team and was generally regarded as the best boy player produced in this district.  He was only nine years of age when selected to represent the district schools against a South Coast combination, and at 14 he was centre forward for Granville district “under 18's" team.  A natural athlete, Keith was a promising cricketer, he was opening batsman for Rosehill School  and a skilful tennis player.  Few jockeys are such splendid all-rounders. Neil Watterson, apprenticed to trainer Bert Stanton, is a son of Les Watterson and, prior to coming from Toowoomba to Rosehill, had piloted eight winners.  On the metropolitan courses he has shown marked ability, his successes including victories on Gold Spark (Moorefield and Warwick Farm), Berkeley, Sculptor, and Amphibious.  Racing men differ regarding who is the better horseman, he or Keith. Ray Watterson, foreman at the Stanton establishment, is a brother of Keith, and though not as conspicuous as the latter, was frequently in the saddle, his mounts totalling 48.  It is interesting to note that three Wattersons are at present employed by Stanton. The Wattersons have helped to make racing history at Rosehill.  Further generations will probably add to the contributions.



Emigration - "Brilliant"

Sydney Herald Monday January 22, 1838

Shipping Intelligence


From Liverpool on Friday last having sailed the 7th September, the barque Jessie Captain Bell with merchandise.  Passengers Mr. R Campbell, Mrs Barker, Miss Clark, Miss M Donnell, Miss McRoberts, Mr Atkins, Mr. Little, Mr. Woolford, Mrs. Woolford and family

Sydney Herald – February 8, 1838

To Captain Gilkison of the ship Brilliant

Sir-  We beg leave, before quitting your ship, to express our gratitude for the kindness and indulgence we have experienced from you and the officers under your command, during our voyage.  While we would with humility and thankfulness recognize the hand of Providence, in preserving and guiding us on our perilous way, and in brining us in safety to our destination; we, at the same time, consider ourselves bound to acknowledge our deep obligations to you, for your vigilance and activity as commander of the ship, and your unremitting attention and readiness to forward ever measure calculated to promote our comfort.  When we thus testify our own feelings, we have much pleasure in assuring you that we likewise convey those of all our fellow-emigrants, sentiments which we now express.  We beg that this may be understood not as the empty language of mere compliment but as the sincere, honest and spontaneous expression of heartfelt gratitude.  To your crew also our thanks are due, for their orderly and civil behaviour to us and our children throughout the voyage.

We are, Sir

Your most obedient and obliged servants,

James McLaurin – Chairman of Committee

John Gillies, Member; Peter Steward, ditto; John McMaster, ditto


; Hugh McMaster, ditto


; Hugh McKinnon, ditto


; Hector McLachlan, ditto


; Duncan Rankin, ditto


; John McFadyen, ditto


SydneyJanuary 24, 1838Harbour

To the Emigrants by the ship Brilliant

I feel highly gratified by the expression of your feelings towards me, for my endeavours to promote your comfort; while, at the same time, I disclaim any merit on my part, for the performance of what I consider an encumbent duty. 

To a kind Providence our most grateful acknowledgments are due, for the almost unprecedented state of health in which we have been brought to our destination.

I am, Yours very truly,

James Gilkison

Ship, Brilliant, Sydney , February 5, 1838

Death of Angus McLeod


McLEOD - At his residence, Dalvey, Ulmarra, ANGUS McLEOD, a native of the Isle of Skye, aged 81 leaving a sorrowing widow to mourn her lo

The Clarence Examiner Saturday July 29, 1882

We are enabled to give the following particulars of this gentleman, whose death we briefly announced on Saturday.  He was a native of Dunvegan, Isle of Skye, and was born in the year 1800.  He served his apprenticeship as a wheelwright and coachbuilder, in the seaport village of Tobermory, Argyleshire, and in course of time started on his own account at his native place where he was married.  He subsequently returned to Tobermory, where he worked for about seven years.  In 1837, he made up his mind to emigrate to Australia, a decision in which he was influenced by his intimate friend Dr. John McLeod minister of Morven, and the brother of the celebrated Rev. Norman McLeod.  He arrived in Sydney by the ship Brilliant, and shortly after proceeded to the Hunter River, then chosen by most of the Scotch emigrants arriving in the colony.  He there started to work at his trade in connection with farming pursuits but in a few years devoted his attention solely to farming, and stock raising.  In the year 1857 he commissioned the late Mr. Norman Cowan, of Grafton, to purchase a farm on the clarence and the latter secured the portion in Ulmarra, which Mr. McLeod named Dalvey, after an estate in his native country.   He came himself, with his family to the river in 1862 and has continued to reside here ever since.  The deceased had a most retentive memory, a faculty which he retained up to his latest years, and had many interesting stories of the life and times of his youthful days.   He was present in Dunvegan Castle when the present head of the house of McLeod now an aged man himself, was baptised.  He relates that on that occasion a knife and fork, once in the possession of Price Charlie, was handed around that every one might cut a morsel with them.  He also had a personal recollection of one of the first steamboats which flied upon the Clyde, a vessel called the Henry Bell, in which he had voyaged.  His wonderful memory is best illustrated by the fact that he could tell the names of every shop of war in the british navy that had come under his knowledge by reading, and could give her equipment of men, with her armament also.  Upon such subjects he took a great interest, no doubt from the fact that numbers of his kindred had served his country in India, and other parts of the world.  He was strongly attached to his native tongue, the Gaelic, and often indulged himself by composing descriptive poems, which were very clever productions.  Mrs. McLeod, as we stated on Saturday, survives her husband, and what the parting must be to her may be imagined when we state they have lived man and wife for 54 years, a period during which they have seldom been absent from the company of one another.  The mortal remains of Mr. McLeod were buried on Saturday, in the Presbyterian cemetery, Grafton, being followed to their last resting place by a numerous procession of relatives and friends.  At the grave, after the coffin had been lowered into the last resting-place the Rev. I. Mackay offered a few well-chosen words in testimony to the deceased, both as a man and a Christian.  We may add our tribute to his honest worth, and say that he was in every sense a man of sterling merit, an affectionate husband, a loving, kind parent, a true friend, and a good neighbour - one who, free from the bonds of narrow sectarianism while fearing his God and honouring his rulers, could respect and love his fellow men of all creeds.  His loss will be felt by those who knew him most intimately, and his relatives and friends have the consolation of knowing that he leaves an unsullied name, an honour prized by him above all other possessions.  Mr. McLeod had four sons and four daughters living, who were all gathered around him when the end came.  The former are well known and respected as some of our most deserving farmers.  Tow brothers, who had emigrated to Canada, were living at Lake Ontario a short time ago.  One of these was 8 years older than deceased.

Death Notice for Christina MacAskill

ClarenceExaminer Tuesday November 1891River

Death has overtaken one of the oldest and most respected residents of the Clarence, Mrs McLeod, last Saturday.  She came from Scotland with her husband Angus, in the year 1837, and about 25 years after took up their abode at the place where her death took place.  Her husband died in 1882, at the age of 81.  Five years afterwards Mrs McLeod was taken seriously ill, and was confined to her bed up to the time of her decease, at the age of 86.  Four sons and four daughters, besides a number of grandchildren are left to mourn their loss.  During life both gained the respect and esteem of everyone who knew them, and this was testified by the large large number attending the funeral at the Grafton cemetery on Sunday.

DeathExaminer August 1869Notice Clarence River

On 7th Inst at Missington Cottage Newtown after a long and painful illness which she bore with Christian fortitude - Catherine Ann beloved wife of Mr. Donald McLeod of Brushgrove aged 27 years leaving a husband with three children and a large circle of friends to mourn their loss.

Death of Donald Kenneth McLeod

The Daily Examiner

Thursday October 21, 1915

The remains of the late Mr. D. McLeod have been brought from Murwillumbah and will be interred in the Presbyterian cemetery this morning.

Death of Sarah McDonald McLeod

Death of Mrs N. McLeod  5th February, 1907

We regret to learn that Mrs. Norman McLeod, of Ulmarra, died last evening.  It will be remembered that her case was for a time one of suspected plague, but it was subsequently ascertained that she suffered from some other complaint.  The attack was a sever one, and from the first doubts were entertained of her recovery.  Mr. McLeod was an old resident of the Clarence, having resided here nearly the whole of her life.  She was the daughter of the late Mr. H. McDonald, of Dunfield, and for some years after her marriage resided at River Bank, and afterwards removed to Ulmarra.  She leaves a widower and family of two sons and four daughters, besides numerous relatives in the district.  Mrs. Scott, wife of Rev. W Scott, of Brushgrove is a sister and another sister Mrs. Duncan McLachlan, resides at Ulmarra, while two brothers others and a brother are resident in Grafton.  Deceased was 54 years of age, and a native of the Hunter.  The funeral takes place today, leaving her late residence for the Grafton Cemetery and landing at the Factory.  We extend our sympathy to the bereaved relatives.

Death of William McLeod

The Daily Examiner Saturday 17th January, 1920

Death of Norman McLeod

Thursday 27th January, 1921

The death took place at his son’s residence, Ulmarra, on Tuesday, of one of the oldest and most respected residents of the Clarence, in the person of Mr. Norman McLeod, who had reached the advanced age of 79 years.  Deceased, who was born on the Hunter River, came to the Clarence nearly 60 years ago, the greater portion of his life being spent at Ulmarra.  His wife predeceased him 13 years ago.  He leaves a family of two sons.  Messrs Angus and Harold (Ulmarra) and three daughters, Misses Askel and Kate, of Grafton, and Norma of Maclean.  The remains were interred in the Grafton cemetery yesterday, Rev. H. W. Ramsay officiating.

Death of Margaret McLeod McLachlan

The Daily Examiner Friday October 28th 1932

Mrs Margaret McLachlan

The death occurred in the Grafton District Hospital yesterday morning of  Mrs. Margaret McLachlan of Ulmarra, widow of the late Donald K. McLachlan.  Deceased, who was 82 years of age, was born on the Hunter River, and came to the Clarence River at an early age with her parents.  She had four brothers and four sisters and she is survived by one sister, Mrs. C. Campbell, of Dulwich Hill.  She had lived most of her live at Ulmarra.  Her husband predeceased her 18 years ago, and she leaves two sons, Mr. J. McK McLachlan (Grafton) and Mr. Harold A. McLachlan (Ulmarra).

The funeral took place yesterday afternoon in the Free Presbyterian cemetery, Grafton, Mr. Allen officiating in the absence of the Rev. H. W. Ramsay.


The Tweed Daily, Murwillumbah  24th April, 1940












 After a lengthy illness, though nothing so serious was anticipated by his large circle of friends, the death took place at his residence, Uloom, Wilson’s Hill, South Grafton, early yesterday morning, of Mr. William McLeod, at the age of 76 years.  The deceased was associated with a great deal of the pioneering work on several of the Northern Rivers, for, with his father, the late Angus McLeod, he came to the Ulmarra district as early as 1847, and afterwards moved to the Tweed and Richmond.  Upon his return to the clarence, he followed dairying pursuits, and specialised in first-class stock, most of which he bred himself, his herds being regarded throughout the river as among the best in the district.  A great many people will remember the late Mr. McLeod’s association with the Pioneer Dairy Company at Ulmarra as a director of many years’ standing and as a member of the Pastures Protection Board.  Several years ago  he disposed of his dairying herds in the Ulmarra district, and soon became known as one of the pastoral m** of the district, in which he acquired several properties.  Besides the widow, a son, Mr. Herb. McLeod, and daughter Mrs. Williams both of South Grafton, survive, likewise two sisters, Mesdames D. McLachlan (Ulmarra) and A. Campbell (Sydney), and a brother Mr. N. McLeod (Ulmarra).  The funeral takes place this morning.
























































Mr. N. C. Hewitt writes:  “With the passing of Mrs. Christina Campbell (nee Christina McLeod) who died at Dulwich Hill Sydney, last week in her 93rd year and her nephew Mr. William John McLeod, of North Tumbulgum, who died on Wednesday in his 71st year, an important chapter closes in the Australian history of the McLeod family which, connected with the celebrated family of McLeod, of Dunvegan castle, Isle of Skye, Scotland, was widely known on the North Coast.




“The progenitor of the original Clarence River family; Angus McLeod was born in Dunvegan castle in 1800.  He was a son of Dr. John McLeod, minister of Morven and a brother of Rev. (Captain) Norman McLeod, and was therefore a distant relative of the late Roderick Macdonald.


“He had a retentive memory of the stirring times of his youthful days and used to relate (vidc. C. and R. Examiner of 29.8.1882) that he was present in Dunvegan castle when the present head of the House of McLeod now (1882) an old man was baptised.  On that occasion a knife and fork once in the possession of the bonnie Prince Charlie was used by all.  He died on 21.7.82 and at the graveside the Rev. Isaac Mackay (father of Brigadier Mackay, B.Sc, D.S.O and C.M.G of Sydney ) referred to him as ‘a man without reproach, a new type of honest Highlander.’


“He came out from Scotland at the instigation of that great colonist and statesman, Dr. John Dunmore Lang and settled on the Hunter River then chosen by most Scottish emigrants, near Dr. Lang’s “ Dunmore ” estate, in 1837.  In 1857 he commissioned his relative Norman McLeod Cowan, storekeeper of South Grafton, to get him a farm on the Clarence River, but not until 1862 on the passage of Sir John Robertson’s Free Selection Act did he and his wife and family of three sons and two daughters go to the Clarence where the rich brush riverside lands were in great demand.


Mr. McLeod selected at Ulmarra and called his home “Dalvey” which became known far and wide for  its hospitality.  The writings of the early clergy of all denominations and travellers abound in the references to this Christian centre from which so many kindly ministries were exercised and from which there went forth quietly but sensibly to the weary traveller a gracious welcome and an influence that was as sweet as the presence of a good diffused and in diffusion ever more intense.


Mr. Angus McLeod’s sons Donald Kenneth, Willie and John were among the best known and most successful settlers on the Clarence.  The first named conducted two stores and the post office at Brushgrove on the upper end of Woodland Island in the mid-sixties, but went to the Tweed in the early seventies where his brother John had selected the present site of the CSR sugar *** at ** selected at North Tumbulgum where McLeod’s wharf for a third of a century became the rendezvous for shipping.


His sister Miss Christina who was easily discernible as a thoroughly good woman, married Mr. Alexander Campbell of Brushgrove who, with his brother conducted an extensive storekeeping business there, having its own river steamer the May Queen.  Mr. and Mrs. Campbell were truly among the excellent of the earth.  In every respect she proved a real helpmeet for him during his earthly pilgrimage.


As fell to the lot of many others of the pioneering period they experienced varying vicissitudes of fortune, these trials of human endurance where prove and sift men and women like grain and chaff in the winnowing machine.


On his death many years ago, Mrs. Campbell removed to Dulwich Hill, there maintaining the family traditions and cultivating the family loyalties.  She and her sister Mrs. D. K. McLachlan (mother of Mr. Kenzie McLachlan, dentist of Grafton and of Mr. H. McLachlan, Ulmarra), who died some years ago outlived the other members of the family.  For many months Mrs. Campbell had been in feeble health but retained her faculties to the end.  The unclouded light of Divine love and favour gladdened her soul to the last and sweetened a disposition always gracious and generous.  She quite realised her end was approaching and thoroughly exemplified in her death the dying Christian whose end is peace.


One of her vivid recollections was that while on a visit to her brother, Mr. John McLeod of Condon, in the early Seventies, she with Miss Susan Hindmarsh, daughter of the late Mr. Walter Hindmarsh, a former Australian Agricultural Company’s station manager, a pioneer settler of the Tweed (and member of the first provisional school board there, were his home was burnt and he returned to the Clarence), were the first women to ascent Mount Warning (3,870 feet).


Miss Hindmarsh was the grand aunt of the Hon. M. F. Bruxner, deputy Premier.  Mrs. Campbell is survived by one son, Mr. Norman Campbell and three daughters, Bethune (Mrs. Bryce, whose husband gave over 70,000.00 pounds to Sydney Medical School ), Misses Maggie (the well known Sydney masseuse?) and Annie Campbell.


Mr. W. J. McLeod had been ailing for over 12 moths.  His father, Mr. D. K. McLeod brought to the Tweed several drafts of the first purebred dairy stock and is deserving of a niche among that whose laid the foundations of the Tweed ’s prosperity.  Born at Brushgrove in 1869, Mr. W. J. McLeod was educated at the Grafton Grammar School from the time of the late Dr. Havelock Ellis, afterwards the famous British sociologist and psychologist disposed of the school to Mr. J. A McIntosh (brother of Mr. J. C. McIntosh Snr. of Lismore).


In 1900 Mr. McLeod married Miss Margaret Logan, daughter of Captain Logan, who owned several schooners trading to the Tweed and resided at North Tumbulgum since the middle eighties, and was as widely known as he was respected.


Of a retiring disposition he never sought ostentation and no man ever aimed less at self-aggrandisement.  An accomplished musician and player of when Tumbulgum was the principal town on the river Mr. McLeod conducted a brass band there successfully.  The foundations he laid were built upon in later years by the late Messrs. Matt Hogan and Jack Raven both from the Richmond River , who several times led the Tweed band to victory in musical festivals.


Besides his widow, two brothers survive – Mr. Norman McLeod of Brisbane and Mr. Kenneth McLeod of Sydney who was for many years manager of the A.J.S. Bank at Woodburn but who has now retired.


Mr. McLeod was in every sense a man of sterling merit who was true to his God and to his fellow man, an affectionate husband, a good neighbour and a loyal friend.  His loss will be shared by a legion of friends who have the consolation in knowing that he leaves an unsullied reputation, an honour prized by him and his ** above all other considerations.

Clarence River Examiner

Death of a Very Old Resident

Alexandrina Macleod Cowan

On Monday last, Mrs. W. Cowan, Sen., died at the residence of her son, Mr. W. Cowan, Kangaroo Creek, having attained the very advanced age of 89 years.  She had been a resident of Grafton and its neighbourhood for about 43 years, a period which is in fact anterior to the town, for Grafton was not surveyed until many years after the time when Mrs. Cowan and her family came to the Clarence.  She has outlived most of her own family, for of her six children two only – Messrs William and John Cowan – now survive.  Her descendants, however, altogether number 39 living, and include 25 grandchildren and 14 great grandchildren.  She like many other Highland settlers, was from the western islands of Scotland , having been born in the Isle of Skye .  Her father was of the Macleod, of Macleod family, and entered the army in which he attained the rant of Major after some years active service, and a considerable amount of hard fighting.  The Highlanders are famous, in addition to the love of their country, for being well versed in all the ancient traditional lore of their homes, and deceased was no exception, for before her memory failed her she had many stories of the stirring times of the ’45, when so many Highlanders turned out in support of “Prince Charlie”.  He, it will be remembers, sought refuge in Skye, and although its chief had not supported him the people could not be tempted to betray him, even though a large sum was offered for his head. And scores of them knew of his hiding place in one of its caves.  A Gaelic greeting was ever a sure passport to the old lady’s favour, but with a naturally kind disposition when it was in her power to do so, she gave freely and indiscriminately, never staying her hand to consider whether the applicant deserved or needed it.  She has altogether enjoyed remarkably good health during her long life.  A stroke of paralysis, some two years ago, affected her speech somewhat, but she was enabled to keep her legs until about six weeks ago, when she became bedridden and unable to partake of her usual food.  Gradually and perceptibly she faded away until death came as quietly as sleep on Monday evening last.  Her remains were interred with those of her husband in the Presbyterian cemetery here on Wednesday, and among those who formed the procession were many of the oldest residents whose acquaintanceship dates back half a lifetime.  The service at the grave was taken by the Rev. I. Mackay, who gave a short address suitable to the occasion.


Allen and Mary McAskell

Maitland Mercury Tuesday February 5 1878


Intelligence was received in Maitland late on Friday evening, or on Saturday morning last, that a horrible double murder appears to have been committed at Booral, near Stroud, during the latter end of the week.  Mr. Allan McAskell’s body was found thrown over a precipice, about a quarter of a mile from his dwelling house, near the road leading to the wharf at that place.  The body presented a dreadful appearance.  The skull was fearfully smashed apparently by some blunt instrument.  Mr. McAskell was employed as wharfinger at Booral.  The dwelling house was burnt down to the ground, and the charred remains of Mrs. McAskell found in it.  The body also presented a dreadful sight.  We have been unable to obtain full particulars of the terrible affair, but there seems to be little doubt that a most foul and horrible murder has been committed.  A telegram was received by Mr. Superintendant Morriss on Friday night, and he, with several members of the police force, started to the scene of the murder early on Saturday morning.  An inquest was to have been held on Sunday.  The police are making every effort to get some  ** which may lead to the discovery of the murderers.

District News – Clarence Town

Intelligence of the double murder at Booral reached here early on Saturday, and naturally shocked everyone.  The unfortunate victims being known to many intensified the feeling of horror, and although some seventeen miles of space intervene between us and the scene of the outrage, it was felt to be all too close.  It is devoutly hoped that the fiend in human form who perpetrated the crimes (which in my opinion, could scarcely have had plunder for a motive) will be speedily brought to justice.  Clarence Town 8th February.

A Diabolical Tragedy at Booral

 I have the very painful duty to report on of the most diabolical deeds ever perpetrated in Australia and the shock to our quiet community will be felt for many a long lay.  Word was brought into town on Friday night, the 1st instant, between 7 and 8 o’clock that old Mr. McAskill, the wharfinger at Booral a town bout six miles from Stroud) was found brutally murdered, and that his wife was supposed to have perished along with the stores which had been burnt to the ground.  Thomas Lawson Esq P.M. with a commendable promptness at once telegraphed to Buladelah for constables Steele and Cowan, the latter having rather unfortunately gone there on that day on duty, otherwise we might have had a better account of the murderer.  A telegram was also despatched to Dungog for a constable and no means were left undone to secure the redhanded miscreant.  The constables from Buladelah arrived at the scene of the murder at about 5 o’clock am on the 2nd instant and after carefully examining the neighbourhood brought the body to Stroud in a cart kindly lent by Mr. McKenzie.  I was present at the court house when the body was removed from the cart and I turned sick when I beheld the mutilated corpse.  The hoary head was dyed with lifeblood of the unfortunate man, the clothes were saturated with blood, the head was beaten out of all shape to a very pulp, one eye protruded from its socket, and the other was unrecognisable in the distortion of the features.  The poor old man’s hands were crimsoned with his own blood and were tightly clenched as if even yet, he felt the heartless blows of his cowardly murderer.  In the cart also was a can containing a few charred bones , the remains of the wife of the warfinger.  What I saw then was all that remained of a quiet, industrious harmless couple, that whom a more good natured, kind and affectionate never lived.

After some little trouble a jury was empanelled and shortly before 3 pm the inquiry began.  Thomas Nicholls Esq P.M. District Coroner, being present.  A telegram had been despatched to Dr. Inglis at Raymond Terrace, requesting his services, our own medical functionary being unwell.


The following gentlemen viz:  Messrs Andrew McNeill (foreman) Robert Kay, Thomas Parker, George Cornell, Lachlan McPherson, John Gorton, John Farley, Thomas Higgins, Robert Isaac, Alexander McKenzie, Thomas Bowden and George Morriss, having been duly sworn, they proceeded to the shed at the rear of the Court house to view the body.  On their return.

David Cowan duly sworn, deposed:  I am a senior constable stationed at Stroud;  about 9 o’clock pm on Friday evening I was on duty at Buladelah I received information that the deceased, Allan McAskill, had been found dead near Borral wharf, supposed to have been murdered;  I arrived at Booral the following morning about 5 o’clock in company with constable Steele, and proceeded to the place where the body was lying; at a spot known as Gallow’s Hill and within about half a mile fro the wharf on the Stroud side.   I saw Robert MacKenzie and James Isaac sitting near the body of Allan McAskill;  I saw a quantity of blood apparently fresh on the road, about 14 yards from the body; Mr. McKenzie and Mr. Isaac showed me the spot where the body was lying; it was then in a gully about two yards from the top lying along the side of the bank, on his right side, with the right leg about a small stump which had apparently prevented the body from reaching the bottom; the arms were folded across the breast; the head was towards Stroud; I noticed a large wound over the left eye, about an inch from the eyebrow, about the size of a large bullet; there was a large wound on the back of the head apparently caused by some blunt instrument, and the skull appeared to be broken, being nothing but a pulp;  the right boot was off and lying about six yards further down the gully than the body; the right leg appeared to have a few scratches on the lower part and was covered with blood;  there was also a large quantity of blood on the back and breast, but more particularly on the back; between where I saw the blood on the road and the top of the precipice into which the body had been thrown there are marks on the ground as if the body had been dragged along; and it appeared to have been thrown over the precipice, for a number of leaves had been carried down by the body; near to the spot where I saw the blood on the road where several large stones, about 7 or 8 lbs, weight each, and on them was blood and hair, the latter corresponding to the hair on deceased’s head.  ) Part of the hair produced found on the stones and road)  The hat and handkerchief produced by me now I received from Mr. McKenzie; portions of a gun and ** produced) where handed to me by John Vernon five pieces in all; they appear to have been recently broken, and, to the best of my belief, are ….to be completed… 

A Visit to the Scene of the Late Murder at Booral

Stroud January 13 

Prompted by that innate curiosity of human nature which few can withstand, I determined to visit the scene of the late tragedy which doubtless has struck the widest limits of our land with horror.  An hour’s steady riding brought me close to the spot where McAskill was found, and as I approached nearer and nearer a strange feeling took possession of me, a feeling of mingled fear and awe.  Now I am at the foot of Gallows Hill a short distance beyond the quiet picturesque homesteads of Booral.  I can hear the river rushing past on my right with a mournful muffled murmur as if it could not rest in its narrow channel while a red-handed murderer was abroad, perhaps – and God only knows – close by.  Instinctively I pause and peer into the dark depths of the wood, as if I expected to behold him (there murderer); the weary rustling of the wind through the foliage sent a cold, damp sweat to my temples for it seemed the spirit of the poor fellow hovering restlessly about the awful spot.  However, I had determined to make myself familiar with the scene, and on I must go.  I am now climbing Gallows Hill.  Here are huge life bed monarchs stretching abroad their might arms.  There stood one from which a poor, wretched fellow creature hanged himself, hence the name of the hill.  A dark wood to the right, a steep gully or precipice on the left bordered with matted underwood.  A dismal spot enough it seems, and blood and cruel, heartless murder is written on the very stones at my feet.  This must be the spot.  I dismount, and secure my horse to a tree.  Here in the centre of the road, between deary banks, was seen the pool of gore that led to the detection of the cruel deed, but not of the murderer.  Here are a number of large boulders, strewn convenient to the murderers purpose.  With these did the dastard complet his diabolical designs, and batter the aged life from a helpless old man, who struggling ineffectually, crying out to the fiend for kind, kind mercy, writhed in the agonies of a fearful mutilation.  I see him lying there at his murderer’s feet, with hands tightly clenched, and life not yet cold, appealing for God’s sake for mercy.  The sight is indeed horrible to human eyes; the murderer gazes on the corpse for an instant, only one short moment, spellbound, and beholds the work of his hands; he actually shudders; he trembles; he gasps for breath; he turns to fly.  No! not yet is the deed completed.  He drags his victim over the bank, and hurls him down a precipice forty feet deep; but a sapling stops the body, and there it remains, nineteen feet from the top, hidden from all eyes.  The murderer pauses; he gazes with gleaming eyes on the body; he starts, and cowers behind a tree.  T’was but the sighing of the wind.  He rises and walks to the spot where he struck hoary infirmity to the earth; walks rapidly back to the brink of the precipice; gazes on the body; he pales, he trembles like an aspen; a tiny lizard rustles in the leaves, and; turning away, the demon flies from the howl of vengeance – flies from the appealing cry of his gasping victim – flies on and on through the woods in awful terror; fastens his fingers tightly into his ears to shut out the gurgling cry which still pursues while still on he flies; nor eats, nor sleeps, but rushes on and on from the scenes that must ever haunt him – till howling for mercy from himself, he falls, relieved, at the gibbet’s foot!  Willingly do I leave this desecrated spot, and ride forward to the scene of the fire.  What a wreck! A heap of blackened ruins on the ground, with the river swelling past with the same muffled, mournful wail – crying, Vengeance!  Vengeance!  The woodwork is completely destroyed; but here stands the lining of the kitchen chimney – a few bricks.  Close by this is a small plot of ground wherein are a few vegetables, raised by the industry of feeble hands.  I walk through the midst of the ashes, amongst iron vessels which have yielded before the fury of the fire as if they were but papers, or have melted and have been distorted out of all shape  - ovens, pots, nails, door-locks, keys, pens, clockworks, gun-barrels, bolts from the beds – all strewed about, a lasting testimony of a damnable tragedy.  Here are a few – a very few – white ashes, all that is left of the wife of the warfinger.  Perhaps, smitten by a dastardly cowardly blow to the earth, she perished in the flames which could not hide the dark deed; but left a few bones, a very few, as a testimony of perhaps the foulest side of the tragedy.  I pick from beside the ashes of the unfortunate woman the remains of a pair of spectacles, - perhaps the very pair she wore as the fatal blow descended on her aged head,  - and these I secured as a sad memento of the sanguinary outrage.  Here is an affectionate hen sitting imprisoned with her half famished brood, which she leaves not though she herself be half-famished; I release the poor things, and leave them free to wander where they will.  One long farewell glance at the work of a foaming devil, and with an aching heart I turn homewards; and still the river moans as it dashes past – Vengeance!  Vengeance!

Sheehy & Sheahan

Isles of the South

Newspaper reports from the Brisbane Courier The Brisbane Courier -Thursday 7th October, 1875 -

Shipping Arrivals October 6 - Isles of the South, ship (London line), 522 tons, Captain J. D. Le-Couteur, from London June 15 off the start June 23. Passengers; Mr. and Mrs. John L. Frederick, Mr. A. Frederick with 13 full-paying, 41 remittance, 123 assisted and 135 free in the steerage. J & G. Harris, agents.

The immigrant ship, Isles of the South, from London, arrived at the Bar yesterday evening after a passage of 112 days from Gravesend. She brings an addition to our shores of 348 souls, of whom 16 are full paying, 123 assisted, 135 free, and 41 remittance passengers. Their nationalities are described as follows: - 199 English, 6 Scotch, 130 Irish, and 4 others. 38 males and 41 females are married. There are 143 single women and 70 single men, and 29 male and 27 female children. Domestic servants number 67, farm labourers, 87; other labourers, 19; gardener, 1; miners, 12; shoemaker, 1; blacksmiths, 3; tailor, 1; engineers and fitters, 6; painter, 1; carpenters, 6; and others, 9. The immigrants are under the charge of Dr. Young, as Surgeon-superintendent, and Mrs. Rainbow, as Matron. Dr. Challinor, the Health Officer, went down to the Bay last night, with the view of boarding the vessel first thing this morning, for the purposes of making his usual inspection. If the vessel be admitted to Pratique - and, as the captain made no report on entering the Bay, it is to be presumed there is no sickness of any consequence on board - the immigrants will most likely be brought up to Brisbane during the course of tomorrow.

Friday 8th October, 1875 Of the voyage of the Isles of the South immigrant ship, from London, we are indebted to Captain D. B. LeConteur for the following particulars: The Isles of the South left the East India Docks on the morning of June 11 and proceeded in tow to Gravesend, where we remained until the morning of the 15th, having completed the embarking of the emigrants and passengers, consisting of Mr. and Mrs. Frederich and child in the saloon, 313 statute adult emigrants, and a crew of 32 hands, making a complement of 373 souls, under the care of Dr. W. Young, surgeon-superintendent; did not reach Deal before the 18th, owing to heavy S.W. gale. The Trinity pilot there left us, and we proceeded working down Channel under the care of Channel pilot, the ship Pekina, also bound to Brisbane, in company, and a whole fleet of other ships; baffling winds from the westward retarded our progress greatly, and only on the 23rd were we enabled to land the Channel pilot in Torbay; these westerly breezes continued with varying strength up to July ] when we profited by the first fair wind, and the ship was able to make her course; on the 4th sighted and passed the island of Madeira, and with pleasant N.E. trades (caught here) continued our way to the southward, with every available sail set. Lost the trades on the 9th, in latitude 19 N and 27 W. Variable breezes and calms then intervened up to the 16th, when we fell in wiht the S.W. monsoon, in latitude 7 30’N and 27 30’W. I would here remark that on the 12th we boarded the Spanish brig Conchita, from Monte Video for Barcelona, fifteen days out, and to her master entrusted a well-filled ‘post bagEindemnifying him with a bag of potatoes. Caught the S>E> trades on the Equator, which we crossed on July 21, in longitude 25 46’W (twenty-eight days out from the start). The following day the first death took place, a female infant of 10 months old. The S. E. trades proved very adverse, and on the 25th we sighted the Brazilian coast, near Cape Branco, and were forced to tack to clear it. This tacking continued up to the 29th, the ship being then 8 9’S and 32 55’W. The S.E. trades to prove so unfavourable may be inferred from the fact that, in my experience of twenty years, it is the first time I have ever sighted the coast of Brazil. Winds from N. to E., with favourable weather, then slowly wafted us onwards, and it was on August 14 before we got anything like a breeze from the S.W. and the best day’s run hitherto made was logged as 244 miles, ship then in 34 50’S; 19 17’W. These westerly winds, with a little northing or southing in them, and of various strengths continued, and we began to move along a little. On August 24 (62 days out) we passed the meridian of Cape Aguthas, in lat 44 south and then a fair run of 233 1/2 miles a day for 27 days was made. On August 29 Flong Island, one of the Crozet Group was sighted and on this parallel of 45 south we continued to run down our casting during which mostly favourable weather was experienced with an occasional gale and a high sea to breat the monotony of the day’s routine. On September 3 a seaman died of paralysis, and on the 15th during a heavy gale, in which the sheet of the mizen staysail carried away, the sail thereby flapping heavily, the second mate (Mr. W. E. Jones) was unfortunately struck on the head with the clew of the sail, and killed on the spot, his untimely and sad fate caused much regret and grief to all on board. He was a promising officer, and 32 years of age. On September 18 we rounded the south end of Tasmania, eighty seven days out, twenty-five from the Cape, this good run in some mannner making up for the length of the first part of the passage, and bouying us all up with the hope that we might complete the voyage in ninety-five or ninety-six days. Our hopes, unfortunately, were soon blasted, for winds from N. to N.W. set in with varying force, and our progress was almost stopped. A very heavy N.W. gale was experienced on the 27th, in latitude 23 S and longitude 155 E, with much thunder, lightening, and large hailstones. A sudden shift to S.W. (for which we had prepared outselves) took place, and a new inner jib paid the penalty and was blown almost to rags, the sheet of which was flogged into quite a “Gordian knotE which took some pains to unravel. On the 28th, the ships then position placed her 362 miles SSE of Cape Moreton, and since then calm, light and variable breezes have been the order of the day, and our progress much impeded; the weather very fine, and the wind, when it did blow, mostly from N.W. to N.E. On October 2 the ship’s position placed her 140 miles off Cape Moreton, with a light breeze dead ahead. ON the 3rd, at noon, we were close to Cape Byron, with a fresh N.W. wind, and fine Baffling winds continued until 5 a.m. on the 5th, when after a very dirty night of rain, thunder and lightning, the wind suddenly shifted from N.W. to S.S.W., and at last we were able to lie our course. The wind kept very light, with dull, cloudy, rainy weather, but at 10 saw the coast, and at noon plainly saw the north end of Stradbroke Island, and shortly after Cape Moreton - a welcome sight to all on board. A birth took place this morning, this being the fourth during the passage - three females and one male - mothers and babes doing well. A barquette in company. At 2.30 am of the 6th received Pilot Markham, and at 3.30 anchored, getting under weigh at 7.30 am, and working up with a strong adverse wind to Moreton Bay anchorage, where we arrived at 2.20 p.m. and anchored, to await inspection, our passage from the start having Monday October 11, 1875 The immigrants by the ship Isles of the South, Captain Le Conteur, from London, were brought to the Immigration Depot on Saturday last, at 1 o’clock, by the steamer Settler, where a large number of friends assembled to meet them. Dr. W. E. Young, the Surgeon-superintendent, who has made several passages to Moreton Bay, states that the general health of the passengers throughout the voyage was all that could be desired; and their robust appearance on landing verifies this statement. There was only one death amongst them, that of an infant ten months old, while there were four births during the voyage. There were no complaints as to the ship being short provisioned or deficient of anything necessary for the comfort of her living freight, and just before the doctor left the ship, an address was presented to him by the passengers, expressive of the great pleasure they felt in acknowledging their obligations to him for the uniform kindness they had received at his hands, and testifying to the praiseworthy manner in which he discharged his onerous duties at all times of their connection with him. One of the crew, a West Indian negro, died on September 3rd of paralysis, and on the 15th, during a heavy gale, on which the sheet of the mizen staysail carried away, the sail thereby flapping heavily, the second mate ( Mr. W. E. Jones) was unfortunately struck on the head with the clew of the sail; and killed on the spot; his untimely and sad fate caused much regret and grief to all on board.













John L Friederich26 Zilla Frederich26 Adolopho Friederich2




Ernest Brockman29 Doris Brockman25   
David Evans40 John Evans27`Thomas Evans27
Daniel Frazier26 Michael Green20 Archibald McCullough30
Matilda Newcombe24 William J Newcombe24   
Sarah Northam32 Selina Northam11   
Thomas Parks39      
Thompson Bates20 Catherine Bearcroft15 William E Bickerdike ?23
John Candy22 Maria Candy22 William John Candy1
   James Cook21   
James Davies24 Emily Davies22 Albert Davies 
Daniel Davies21      
William Eld25 Elizabeth Eld2 Charles Eld 
Mary Eld31 Jane Eld  died voyage1   
Edward Edwards  Mary Edwards19 Anne Edwards3
Thomas Edwards2    William A Freestone22
John Fanck ?32 Betsy Fanck30`John A Fanck4
Alfred Fulton ?22 Henry Garlick25   
Thomas Griffiths25 David Griffiths20 John Griffiths30
Jane Griffiths22 Elizabeth Griffiths1 David Griffiths28
Cathine Griffiths30 William Griffiths7 Mary Griffiths3
Henry Gritt       
   Denis Mulcahy20 Humphrey Moynham 30
Bridget Mae31 Mary McCormick22 Peter McMahon19
James Maloney27      
Henry Nicholls32 Clara Nicholls23 Susan Nicholls1
Ellen Northam - possible family above17 Mary Nunen20 Charles Orchard17
Thomas O'Hara21 John O'Connell30 Arthur O'Connor20
Mary O'Loughlan17 George Payne19 John Power22
Francis Parr20 Margaret Quinn18 Mrs. Rainbow39
David Roderick22 Michael Reilly23 Harriet Shellard21
William Shore ?25 James Scully18   
John Sherry29 Emma Sherry24 Alfred Sherry1
Peter Sherry24 Elizabeth Sherry24 Joseph Sherry4
Margaret Sherry1      
Thomas Shanahan24 Patrick Sullivan29 Mary Table21
Michael Sullivan18 Mary I Stretton24 Sarah Sheahan27