Thomas W. Florence

Thomas W. Florence

Private/Sergeant, Company E, 2nd Regiment
Gov. Joe Brown's "The Georgia State Line"
Harris County - Chattahoochee Guards
Wounded at Jonesboro, GA., August 31, 1864.
Father Mother
Obediah Florence Susannah Guice

Service in Confederate Army

Roster of Confederate Soldiers of GA, Vol. I, page 402.

Florence, Thomas W. Private March 1862. Appointed Sergeant. Severely wounded in hip, Jonesboro, GA, August 31, 1864. Admitted to Ocmulgee Hospital, Macon, GA, September 25, 1864. Died, wounds, October 27, 1864.

Only 95 out of the 200 men in the 2nd Regiment, Georgia State Line, survived the Battle at Jonesboro. Gov. Joe Brown's State Regiments were organized as Railroad Bridge Guards.

NOTE: Date on headstone differs from above. Also date on widows pension application differs from headstone and above. CSA date above assumed correct.

Matilda received word to come and tend to her husband at the hospital in Macon. Thomas died just before she arrived.

Records from Ocmulgee Hospital, Macon, GA

So, Thomas died of Pyemia - a form of blood poisoning caused by bacteria. The modern medical term is "Sepsis".


Columbus Daily Enquirer
November 17, 1914
The entire community was shocked yesterday when the news reached the city of the death of W. D. Florence, a highly esteemed citizen of Lee County, who resided a short distance beyond the city limits on the Somerville Road where he conducted a grocery store.

Early yesterday morning Mr. Florence, it is said arose at his usual time and went about his business as usual and Mrs. Florence prepared breakfast. She went to the store to call him to his meal and on entering the store, she saw her husband lying on the floor. Thinking that he had fainted she screamed for help and a man who happened to be passing along the road ran in and found Mr. Florence lying on the floor in the front part of the store. On examination he discovered he was dead. The news soon spread and the number of people gathered and they discovered he had been shot.

Judge J. S. Kimbrough was called and he summoned a jury and held an inquest. The jury was composed as follows: M. T. McElvey, foreman, J.B. Lokey, Ed Findlater, W. H. Lassiter, Marvin Byrd and J. E. Hudson. On examination, the jury found that Mr. Florence had been shot through his head, the ball entered his right temple, passed through his head and passed out just above his left ear. His pistol, a 38-calibre Iver and Johnson, was found lying in a box near his right side, his hat was lying a short distance to his left and when it was picked up, the ball fell from the hat. The jury rendered a verdict to the effect that he came to his death by a pistol shot inflicted by his own hand. The cause for such a rash act was a mystery. Nothing could be learned as to why he did it. He was highly esteemed by all who knew him.

Mr. Florence had been in ill health for some time and it is thought that be was seized with a fit of nervousness which caused him to commit the act.

He is survived by his wife who is prostrate with grief, and one daughter, Mrs. L. L. Colquitt two brothers, J. M. Florence of West Point, and J. T. Florence of Columbus, three sisters Mrs. Mary Hendrix, Mrs. Fannie Hendrix (NOTE: should be Hendry) of Loacbapoka, and Mrs. G. W. Sistrunk of Durand, GA, all of whom have the sincere sympathy of a host of friends in their sad bereavement.

The deceased was sixty years of age and was a zealous member of Trinity Methodist Church. The funeral will be conducted from the late residence this afternoon at two o' clock by Rev. J. P. Roberts. Interment will be in Girard Cemetery, The following will act as pallbearers: Messrs M. T. McElvey, B.F. Randall, Wood Hunters, Frank Booker, Sr., Lemuel Downing.

NOTE: His family was devastated by the decision of the inquest. There were many unanswered questions and he was a devoutly religious man who would never had committed such a sinful act. His wife went to her grave believing that her husband had been murdered.