Jacob Wright

Jacob Wright

Private, Co. K, 23rd Regiment
Alabama Volunteers CSA
Captured at Vicksburg, Mississippi
Wounded at Battle of Missionary Ridge
Father Mother
Elias D. Wright Gatsey Medlin

Told by Lula Missouri Barnes Abernathy
Great Grandpa Jake was a real smart man and was sick in bed a long time before he died. He wrote a lot of his own thank you notes to people while in the bed sick.
Maggie Helen Poole Jacks says the previous story might be about Willie Jehu instead of Jacob. Widows Pension application says Jacob died at a SteamBoat accident near Mt. Pleasant.

Service in Confederate Army

Jacob Wright enlisted as a Private in Company "K", , August 1861, at Lower Peachtree, Alabama. Colonel Franklin K. Beck commanding with Captain Greene D. McConnell in charge of Company K. Jacob, along with the rest of the 23rd Regiment, was captured at Vicksburg, Mississippi. Wounded, shot in the left elbow during battle of Missionary Ridge, Tennessee, November 23, 1863. Spent June through August 1864 at Marshall Hospital, Columbus, Ga.

Jacob Wright was denied a pension due to the fact he owned too much land -- listed in one application as being 1200 acres, mostly woodlands.

Becky Burchfield
My mother, Maggie Helen Poole Jacks, was the youngest child of Timothy and Carrel Wright Poole. She was orphaned at the age of 5 years old so she has very few memories of her parents. The following is one of them:

Timothy Poole was what was called a "gentleman farmer" not meaning that he didn't work in the fields just that most times he hired men to do the work on his farm; preferring to stay clean and nicely dressed himself. Carrel Wright Poole, being the daughter of a working man that had pulled himself up by his bootstraps, was not so 'natty' and when push came to shove she would go down to the fields herself and work; taking the children with her and seeing that they all did what they could to help.

On the day in question this had happened. Mother does not remember what crops had to be harvested, just that a storm was coming and they had to be got in. Grandmother, Granddaddy, and all the kids still at home trooped down to the fields. After working several hours and still no sign of the storm, Granddaddy decided that he could leave and go into town. He went to the house and changed into a white shirt and tie and proceeded to tell Grandmother he would be "back directly".

"What do you mean, 'back directly"?, Grandmother asked, her Cherokee blood starting to boil.

"I said, Carrel, I would be 'back directly'; I have business in town", answered Grandaddy.

"Your business is here!", she stated emphatically, "In this field."

"No, I have business in town", he finished.

With the idea he had had the last word he mounted his ride and set off for town. But his idea was not Grandmother's. Looking around Gramdmother's eyes lit on a patch of mud in the South Alabama red clay, made when one of the kids had to pee. Reaching down she scooped up the mud and gave it a sling as hard as she could hitting Grandaddy directly in the center of his back and before he knew it, Timothy Poole, "gentleman farmer" was covered in stinky, sticky, red mud. Grandaddy went to the house, washed off, changed back into his work clothes, and went back to the fields. Grandmother returned to the harvest with red hands and a triumphant gleam in her eyes.