cornwall england newspaper

1836 Articles and Other Items

5 August 1836, Friday

- Orange Society in Truro a failure; Protestant Conservation Association dissolved
- "Euphrates" and "Tigris" steamer expedition, off the town of Anah; the steamer Euphrates sank in a hurricane, not a third of the crew saved; report from the scene by a survivor
- Ascent of Mount Blanc
- British Association for the Cultivation of Science; report

ADVERTISEMENTS - A FIVE POUND NOTE was on the 26th June last, tendered to Mr. Pool, of the STAR HOTEL, Penzance, for change; which he has detained on suspicion of its having been stolen.  The note will be given up to the person to whom it belongs on describing it.

NOTICE - Having seen an Advertisement in the West Briton and Cornwall Gazette, for the sale of Freehold Premises in Truro, DWELLING-HOUSE, Spirit Cellar, and convenient Malt- House, &c, in the occupation of Mr. Henry Conn, I hereby caution the public against buying the same, as the title of the advertiser is defective, and that proceedings will soon be taken to try the issue against the present proprietor. James Williams, Falmouth August 1, 1836


    In consequence of the proposed alteration in the Halls at Bodmin having commenced, it was determined to hold the Lammas Assizes for this County at Launceston.  As the Nisi Prius Court at Bodmin is to remain in status quo, and the Guildhall is infinitely more commodious than the Crown Court at Launceston, the County need hardly have been put to the inconvenience and expense.   By the bye, we hope that some better arrangements will be made in the Halls at Bodmin for the accommodation of the press than has hitherto been afforded either there or at Launceston.  The novelty of a Summer Assizes being held at Launceston excited no small stir there, and we should imagine that the little town has not been so gay before for centuries.
    The high sheriff, Arthur Kelly, Esq., we are sorry to state, was so indisposed that he was obliged to obtain the assistance of A. H. Arundell, Esq., who acted as Sheriff.
    [After the usual formalities had been disposed of, Mr. Justice Williams addressed the Grand Jury, commenting on some of the cases, including that of Tobias Rickard*, committed for willful murder, in which the question was whether it was manslaughter or murder.  The Justice explained the differences in detail, saying "if death followed kicks or blows not from a combatant but from a pursuer, there could be no forethought or malice; and though highly deserving of reprehension and severe punishment, would barely amount to manslaughter." [*name spelled Rickard here; in description spelled Richards and Rickard.]

    The first case tried was that of William Oliver, aged 18, charged on oath with feloniously stolen[sic] a bead necklace, four crowns, and other money, belonging to Cornelius Oliver, the younger.  The prisoner pleaded not guilty.
    [Mary Oliver, wife of Cornelius Oliver, residing at Mevagissey, deposed that the prisoner lodged at her house for about 13 weeks up to the 25th of July last; that she had found beads in the clothes when she went to clean the room; that she contacted the constable when she confirmed her beads and money were missing from her drawer.] 
    Constable John Carveth testified he went to Tregony fair, on Monday the 25th of July, with Mary Oliver, and apprehended the prisoner with a warrant.   The prisoner denied [possessing] any beads, but he, witness, found the beads upon him, and produced them, upon which Mary Oliver swore they were her beads, the snap having been sewed with blue cotton by herself.
    The Judge summed up very clearly, stating that the beads had been clearly identified, but that the money could not, though two half-crowns had been found on his person.  The chain of evidence being complete, the Jury found a verdict of guilty.  Sentence, three months' imprisonment and hard labour.

    [James Cock, aged 12 and Joseph Sillick, aged 15, were charged on oath with having stolen a quantity of nuts from on board the trading boat of Joseph Williams, on the river Tamar.
    Against Joseph Sillick, there was no true bill.  About a gallon of nuts were found at the house of James Cock's mother, under the stairs, after he confessed to the Constable.]
    The Jury found the prisoner guilty, but on account of his youth hoped his Lordship would be lenient in his sentence, which was that he was to be severely whipped.  The Judge kindly admonished the boy, telling him that if he came there again, his present offence would be remembered against him.

    [James Harris, aged 20, charged on oath with having feloniously stolen one pair of shoes, and a pair of stockings, the property of William Henwood of Dubwalls, near Liskeard.
    The Jury, after a short consultation, found the prisoner guilty, and he was sentenced to two months' imprisonment and hard labour.]

    John Smith, aged 28, charged on oath with having stolen from a box in the house of Richard Sandercock, eight sovereigns and some silver, the property of said Rd. Sandercock.
    Richard Sandercock deposed that the prisoner professed to be a gardener; that he lodged with witness, and that on the 18th of April last he left his house.  Some hours after he left, his money was found missing, which amounted to eight sovereigns and 3s.6d. which was kept in a box.  Elizabeth Sandercock, wife of the last witness, fully corroborated her husband's statement, and put the prisoner's guilt in a clearer light.
    Wm. Tickel Binney, constable of Launceston, followed the prisoner to Saltash, found him at the King's Arms Inn, and upbraided him with ingratitude to the person who had been so kind to him, when the prisoner said here is the woman's money.
    Edward Deeble, constable of Saltash, testified that he was applied to by last witness to apprehend the prisoner, did so, searched him, and found 28s. 3d in his waistcoat pocket.  When upbraided by Tickel, prisoner said here is the woman's money, and took two sovereigns from a pocket by his side, where a rule or something like it was kept.  In searching further, four more sovereigns were found, making in all £7.8s.3-1/2d.
    The prisoner conducted his defence with much acuteness, and by his conduct confirmed the Jury in the opinion that he was guilty, which after a short deliberation, they gave in as their verdict.
    The Judge, steadfastly looking at the prisoner, observed that with his acuteness, had he been industrious, he might have earned a comfortable subsistence in his own country; but having been found guilty of robbing in a dwelling-house to the amount of more than £5, the law left him no alternative but to pass the sentence that he be transported beyond the seas during the rest of his natural life. ["his own country" was not identified, unfortunately.]

    Richard Pike Ham, 46, charged on oath with having stolen one pair of trowsers, ten waistcloths, and a neckcloth, the property of John Lowe.  He also stood charged with having stolen, in the parish of St. Stephens in Launceston, a certain ewe sheep, the property of William Spettigue.
    [A series of witnesses testified as to the purchase of the sheep by Spettigue, his unique marking of the sheep, and the fact that on the evening of June 14th one sheep disappeared.
    Thos. Phillips, who works for William Hender, wool-stapler and a dealer in skins, testified that Ham brought in a fresh skin on Sunday at seven in the morning; it was quite large. They paid Ham  for the skin, and he left. They could, and did, identify the skin because of its markings.]
    William Stacy, a butcher of Launceston, testified he had seen Ham's ewe for sale in a stall on Saturday, and it was abnormally small, having milk in the udder, and looking as if it had a lamb just taken away. It was not marketable as it was not fat.  Richard Rundle, butcher, testified that Ham left his stall about eleven o'clock in the morning, leaving his meat on the stall.  [This testimony refuted the defendant's claim he had killed and skinned his own ewe, and sold its skin.]
    Charles Atkins was called to speak for the character of the prisoner.  He has known him for forty years, and considered him an honest man, but since the loss of his wife considered him somewhat deranged.
    The Judge very minutely recapitulated all the evidence, and said as the Jury were better acquainted with the way in which skins were marked than he was, and the chief point turning on the mark, he would leave the matter with them. The Jury examined the skin to see if it corresponded with the description given in evidence, and returned a verdict of Guilty; upon which the prisoner was sentenced to transportation beyond the seas for the term of his natural life.

Crown Bar, Tuesday
    John Morgan, 30, stood charged on oath with having feloniously stolen one serge frock and one net frock, the property of John Serpall.
    John Serpall testified he was a seaman, living in Tywardreath, serving on the "Parr".  He put his clothes in his berth on the morning of the 7th, and nailed the slide.  When he returned on the 9th, the clothing was missing.  He never met Serpall.
    [Thomas Hoskin  testified he served on the "Parr", met the prisoner on the 7th when he was hired by the Master, and walked off the ship with him on the 9th.  He noticed the bag the prisoner carried was fuller than it had been, took the bag and found Serpall's shirts, and handed it over with the prisoner to a constable.  He knew the prisoner three days; no quarrels; the prisoner had been discharged because he would not sign the articles of the voyage. Called the prisoner a "Welsh rogue".  Henry Rowe, constable, corroborated the testimony regarding the bag, and his involvement.]
    The Jury found the prisoner guilty.  A letter was handed to the Judge, written to the prisoner by his wife, and signed by many respectable persons, giving the prisoner a previous good character.  The Judge commented on the feelings of a kind wife and family disgraced by the prisoner's conduct, and sentenced him to four months' imprisonment and hard labour.

    Richard Quick, William Rawling, and Joseph Whitbourn, were indicted for stealing three pounds of candles in the parish of Gwennap, on the 27th of June last.
    [Stephen Kessell, miner, testified that he had found boxes of candles at the Wheal Jewel Mine ripped open, and 4 lbs. of candles stolen. John Climo testified he saw Quick take a stone, break into the box, hand candles to other boys, and run away.  Saw John James take Richard Quick by the collar.  He admitted he had seen this from the stocks, where he had been sent for stealing apples.]
    [John Jones said he saw the boys run away, stopped them and asked them what they had; they dropped the candles and ran, but he held onto one boy. He saw John Climo, who was not with the other boys.]
    The Jury found all the prisoners quilty; they were ordered to be severely whipped, and then discharged.

    William Rickard was indicted for the stealing of a mare, the property of William Searle, on the third of June last at Redruth.
    [William Searle swore he bought a horse at the Penzance fair, and took it to Redruth.  He found it missing from the stable of Walter Teague in the afternoon.  He found it on the 25th in the possession of Thomas Bartlett.  Bartlett swore he bought the horse from the prisoner for three sovereigns, and would not give up possession.]
    [John Binney was sworn, and testified he sold the mare to William Rickard for three sovereigns.  He claimed to have partial ownership of the horse.  In cross examination it was proven that the horse was bought with Searle's money, and Searle did not see him take away the mare.]
    The Judge addressed the Jury, and told them it was clear from the evidence that the prisoner did not steal the mare, and if he bought her knowing her to be stolen, he would then be but the receiver and not the thief.  Much suspicion rested on Binney, and at one period of the examination the Judge remarked that he thought  Binney and the prisoner ought to exchange places.  Rickard was declared by the Jury not guilty, but the Judge told him that much suspicion rested on his proceedings.  He also recommended a Magistrate of the county enquire into the conduct of Binney.

    Tobias Richards*, aged 18, stood charged with the manslaughter of Francis Bennett, in the parish of Camborne, on the 2nd of April last.  [*His surname is spelled two ways throughout this article; Richards and Rickard.  I've shown what was written. This is only a bit condensed. jm]
    Mr. Greenwood conducted the prosecution, and stated that on the 31st of March last, at Cambourne fair, a number of people assembled on the Bowling Green; that a fight took place between Henry Prideaux and Tobias Richards, the prisoner, in which Richards was worsted.  The prisoner's brother came up shortly after, and asked who was for and who against his brother.  Meeting with the deceased, some words took place, a challenge was given, and a battle ensued, in the first round of which the deceased was down, and prisoner advanced and kicked him, as he did in the second round, and jumped on him when on the ground.  He was then unable to stand, of course to fight, and was taken away.  The next day a surgeon was called to the deceased, who pronounced that his bowels were ruptured, which injury caused his death.
    [Christopher Hoskins, a witness, gave evidence which did not substantiate the above.  The depositions taken before the Coroner were referred to.  His evidence in court varied from his former statements very greatly.] It was brought out that he was courting the sister of the deceased. The Judge questioned him.  He said that before the Coroner he related what he was told to say, that on the present occasion he stated the facts only.
    The Judge proceeded no further - but committed Christopher Hoskins for perjury, remarking at the same time that the Courts of Cornwall should not be perjured without the parties so acting being punished.
    Thomas Sincock testified he saw the last round of the battle, when John Richards threw down the deceased, and fell on his bowels.  Witness took up Bennett, and the prisoner helped up his brother John.  The Judge rejected this evidence because of the witnesses' manner and conduct.
    William Coring, apprentice to Mr. May, testified he saw the end of the fight. Both combatants were on the ground. Immediately Tobias Rickard ran forward, and stepped on the deceased while he lay on his back.  Witness helped to take up Bennett.  Cross examined.  Witness was close to them when they fell. Thought the prisoner might have been pushed forward in the crowd. Did not think the kick given was a willful one, but happened in his hurry to go and pick up his brother.
    Elizabeth Holman and Mary Hancock gave their depositions so different from what they had done before the coroner, that the Judge ordered that not one of the witnesses should be paid for his or her expenses, except for Cory [Coring?] and William Harris, a blacksmith.
    Harris testified that he visited the deceased before his death, between six and seven o'clock on the evening of the second day.  Bennett's sister asked him if he would see Tobias Rickard, and he said he did not mind, and did see him.  On coming into the room, Rickard said "Frank, how is it you say that I have murdered you?"  He then asked him if he would shake hands with him, which he did, by putting out his hand, but did not speak other than to say he was fainting.  Tobias Rickard cried, and also fainted.  Witness carried the prisoner downstairs; coming to himself he addressed the mother of the deceased by saying "How is it you say that I murdered the man?"
    The Judge observed to the Jury that there was nothing in the evidence to prove that the prisoner caused the rupture spoken of; on the contrary, it would make rather in favour of the prisoner, who was declared by the Jury not guilty.  The Judge, in acquitting the prisoner, said he was pleased to find that in the chamber of the deceased he manifested so much feeling, and hoped he would not lose those feelings.

Wm. Ellery, aged 30, stood charged on oath with having feloniously stolen a certain trowel, the property of John Lewis.  The prisoner was found guilty, and sentenced to four months' imprisonment and hard labour.

    Grace Tapson was indicted for an assault on Jane Mason, on 14th of June last.
    Mr. Rowe conducted the prosecution, and Mr. Coulbourn the defense.  The opening statements noted that this was a peculiar case, in that Jane Mason was no more.  Another inquest had been held, which excited great interest.   Since the welfare of the community was involved, this case had been instituted. The jury was asked to dismiss from their minds every thing they might previously have heard, and to attend to the facts as they would be stated before them. [Evidently, Jane Mason was an apprentice to Mrs. Tapson, and she had died while residing with Mrs. Tapson.  There had been quite a lot of gossip about the case, and "much excitement existed out of doors".]
    Jane Vosper, who works with Mrs. Tapson, testified Mrs. Tapson had spoken to Jane Mason in the evening [about not sitting comfortably while there was much work to do], but she did not touch her.  Mrs. Tapson told Mason to "go down" [to wait on customers]; instead, Mason moved to sit on a box.  Mrs. Tapson then took her by the hand and "pulled her out of the room", and went downstairs.  The witness had heard no noises.  Jane Mason had slapped Mrs. Tapson's child in the morning, and Mrs. T. had asked her how she could do that, and said she would tell her master.  Witness had not seen the slap, but heard it.  The girl [Jane Mason] had gone away [after that] and was not seen til after eight o'clock p.m.
    On cross-examination, witness said  Mrs. Tapson did not push Mason with violence, neither did she appear angry.  Vosper further testified Mrs. Tapson "always treated the deceased as one of her own children, and was generally a good tempered woman".
    Elizabeth Simmons, a servant of Mrs. Tapson, testified she came into the kitchen, and Jane Mason was sitting at the table crying into a towel.  Mason complained of "ill treatment", and pain in her head.  Witness examined Jane's head, and found two lumps, one as big as a pullet's egg.  Her hair was much broken, as to indicate much violence.  On cross-examination, the witness said Mason complained of being ill on Saturday, and did not eat anything.  The deceased took some worm cakes and an emetic on the Sunday.  Her mistress made some broth, and witness took it to Mason in bed; she took a second helping of broth later in the evening.  On the morning of the girl's death, Mrs. Tapson came into the room and said "Goodness gracious, Jane is very ill.  Why did you not tell me before?  I shall never forgive you.  Go and call the doctor; do not stop to put on your stays".  Witness admitted she had been discharged by Mrs. Tapson after she had given her evidence at the Coroner's inquest. When questioned about her servitude at different places, she was very indistinct and evasive.
    William Tickle deposed that the lumps were on the back of Mason's head, one as big as a pullet's egg, the other as big as a nutmeg.  Saw them himself, and saw Mrs. Tapson the Tuesday after the death of the deceased, and said to her "a pretty tale about the town".  She answered she did not care, they could not hurt her.  He went for the Coroner unknown to anyone else.
    Mary Tickle, wife of last witness, corroborated much of the former witness's statement.  [On cross examination], said she had worked with Mrs. Tapson many years, and had recommended that the deceased should be put an apprentice with Mrs. Tapson.
    Sarah May, servant to Mr. Castine [?], saw the deceased on the evening of June 15th, when she complained of ill treatment; and saw her broken hair hanging down behind.
    Here ended the case for the Crown.
    Mr. Coulbourn then addressed the Jury.  He repeated what Mr. Rowe had said at the opening about this being a case "of peculiar interest and painful character".  If the deceased had fallen the victim of violence by the party bound to protect her, it was painful.  If a false prejudice had been created it could prove fatal, as had already been felt in the business of the defendant.  The death was lamentable on all accounts.  He then pointed out the defects of the witnesses, and where there were discrepancies.  He called many witnesses (Mary Rowe, William Henry Syms, Mr. Goobert, Digory Penwarden, Patience Gilbert, and Bella Wise)  who testified as to the uniform kindness and good feeling of Mrs. Tapson toward Jane Mason, and the general good conduct of Mrs. Tapson.
    Mary Pearse, who laid out the corpse, was called, and deposed that she had cut off some of the deceased's hair, put her hand on the back of her head, and did not feel any lump; had not examined the head but was sure there was no enlargement.
    John Higs, hairdresser, said it was impossible to break a body of hair.
    Mr. Smith examined the body on the day of the inquest; discovered no marks of violence; had previously attended the deceased, and he with other medical men of the town were of the opinion that the death was caused by apoplexy.
    The Judge very minutely summed up, commenting as he proceeded on the various parts that needed observation, and left the case entirely with the Jury.  After a deliberation of some minutes, Mrs. Tapson was declared not guilty.

Cornwall Summer Sessions - Nisi Prius

The following causes were summarily disposed of today, Monday, 1 August.

Carnall v. Bennett - An action to recover a sum of £39.4s. and expenses drawn on a person called George Wisden and endorsed by defendant.  It was undefended.  Verdict for the plaintiff.

Nankivell v. Key, and Key v. Nankivell - Verdict was taken for the plaintiffs, by consent.  [Which plaintiff was not stated.]

Jeffery v. Tenby - This was an action to recover £2[x?] due on a promissory note. Witnesses were examined on both sides, and a verdict was given for the plaintiff in full amount.

Dos dein(sic) Earl of Falmouth and another v. Alderson  [special jury] - [This was an action of ejectment, to recover possession of a certain tin mine called Brintin Tin Mine in the manor of Tregarrick, in the parish of Roach[sic], and within certain tin bounds called the Beacon bounds. Citing Stannary Law, Alderson showed he had a title granted/sold to a string of persons, ending with William Liddicoat, who had obtained the rights from his father, John. As Wm. Liddicoat was in America, it could not be proven that he had maintained the cutting of turf, which would have made his claim valid.]  The Jury retired, and after being absent about half an hour, they returned with a Verdict for the Plaintiffs.  Damages, one shilling.

    Tilley v. Andrew - The plaintiff, Mr. T. H. Tilly, is a solicitor of Falmouth and the defendant, Mr. Thomas Andrew, a brewer, resides in Penryn.  The plaintiff purchased a mare as a hunter from the son of Mr. Andrew for £42 on the 6th of November last.  The defendant's brother tried the horse after the day of the purchase, and "fancied she was labouring a little in going down hill".  On examination it was discovered that the near leg before was swollen.  On Dec. 19th plaintiff complained of her having corns in the fore hoofs, and a swelling of one of the ligaments of the near leg before.  Plaintiff's brother was called, who stated that the mare was unsound from the day the plaintiff had purchased her, but nothwithstanding she had been hunted several times.  On the 28th of December, the mare was quite lame.  Plaintiff called in three veterinary surgeons to examine her, each of whom stated in evidence that she had chronic corns, and that she had a spavin on one of her legs. The mare was ultimately sold to Mr. William Gatley for £7.12s.
    The defense contended the plaintiff kept the horse for six weeks, and continually worked it.  Testimony was given that the mare was perfectly sound up to the time she remained in the defendant's possession, and required careful shoeing.  When the plaintiff had her, she was not well shod.  It was also proved by Mr. Gatley that after having bled the mare's foot, poulticed its leg, and turned it out to grass for six weeks, it became sound, and was now capable of carrying him for long journeys, he having ridden her ever since. VERDICT FOR THE DEFENDANT

    August 3 - Digory Grey vs George Kiddle - The plaintiff was a farmer, residing in the parish of Endellion, who, at Bodmin Fair on the 18th of May last, sold three bullocks to the defendant, who is also a farmer and dealer in livestock.  After the purchase was agreed, George Kiddle put his mark on the cattle, as is usual in such purchases - such mark being on cattle in a fair prevented others from purchasing of the original vendor. The defendant afterwards stated the cattle were not sound, but he had not put in that as a plea on the present. He refused to pay the agreed sum of £37.15s, and never took physical possession of the said cattle.
    Francis Brown Hambly, Mark Grey, and John Rogers, a jobber, all testified as to the nature of the sale, and the convention of marking the cattle. They all said that after such mark was made the cattle were always considered to be the property of the person marking them; when the mark was put on the cattle, it was the same as signing a deed.
    The Counsel for the defense quoted some previous cases regarding the question, and suggested that no delivery had been made.  A letter from the plaintiff's attorney was read, which threatened with legal proceedings if he didn't immediately pay for the cattle, and their keep, as they were then in the care of Mr. Gatty of Bodmin.
    The Jury found a verdict that no delivery was made, and the plaintiff was non-suited with liberty to commence a fresh action. [can anyone explain this verdict? jm]

Lawrence v Matthews - This case occupied the whole of Wednesday and part of Thursday.  Verdict for the plaintiff, damages 1s.  As the question tried is an important one, we shall give a full report of the case next week.  The Assizes are not likely to terminate before Saturday night.

The First of August - This day was celebrated at Mousehole on Monday, in commemoration of that happy event, the emancipation of the Negro Slaves in the West Indies.  About 140 persons took tea together in the center of the spacious Wesleyan Chapel, which was tastefully laid out for the occasion.  After the repast, some very appropriate and impressive speeches, relative to the apprentice system &c, were delivered. A subscription was entered into on the occasion, amounting to £5, to furnish dresses for the Negro children, to enable their parents to send them to school.

Smuggling - A boatman, named Rowe, of Falmouth, has been committed to Bodmin for six months, for having been found with some smuggled tobacco in his possession.

Dreadful Accident - On Wednesday last, as a boy belonging to Mr. Geo. Hearn, grocer &c, was playing in Pydar-street in this town, in attempting to get out of the way of some colts who were passing at the time, he was thrown down by a cart laden with clay, the wheel of which passed over his body, fracturing several of his ribs, and otherwise crushing him in a frightful manner.  Great praise is due to Mr. Hoblyn, a farmer, who was on the spot at the time, for the powerful efforts he made in lifting the wheel of the cart, by which means the boy's life was, in all probability, saved.  We are happy to add that the child, though severely injured, is in a fair way of recovery. (At least in St. Austell, clay carts were huge wagons that when full weighed several tons; there are several accounts of buildings shaking as they passed.)

Assault on a Clergyman - On the evening of Monday, the 25th ult, the Rev. J. Johnson, of Perran-Uthnoe, was accosted by two drunken miners, named Humphry King and John Jewell, on the road leading from Penzance to Marazion, who knocked him down and kicked him on the ground different times.  We understand that in consequence of the wives of the offenders pleading that the men were drunk, and having three small children, the Rev. Gentleman forgave his brutal assailants.  The feeling which prompted him to this act of forgiveness are certainly commendable, but we think the perpetrators of so wanton  an outrage ought to have been severely punished as an example to others.

Caution - On Tuesday last, Thomas Vercoe, a young man about twenty years of age, was brought before E. Turner, Esq. one of his Majesty's Justices for this County, charged with stealing apples from the orchard of Mr. John Whitford, of the parish of St. Clement. The fact having been proved by the evidence of one of Mr. Whitford's servants, Vercoe was convicted of the offence, and sentenced to be imprisoned at hard labour for two months. It is to be hoped this seasonable punishment will be generally known to those lads who so frequently commit depredations on our gardens and orchards at this period of the year.

Melancholy Accident. - On Wednesday last, a miner by the name of Martin Ingwin, working at Wheal Valentine Mine in the parish of Paul, set a charge to blast some rock.  The blast not occurring when expected, he went to check the cause, when the charge went off and injured him so dreadfully that he died in a few hours. The poor fellow had only been married about ten days.

Scilly, August 2 - On Saturday last, a fine schooner, called the "Emerald", of about 100 tons burthen, was launched from Mr. Mumford's yard at St. Mary's.  This vessel is of a superior description with regard to her fittings, and has an elegant bust figure-head, carved and gilt at Scilly.  It is supposed she will be found "a regular clipper".

Although the public newspapers mention much damage having occurred in various parts of England by recent storms, nothing of the kind has occurred in these Islands.  The late favourable rains have greatly improved the appearance of the crops of all kinds; and potatoes, which have partially failed in most parts of England, have here turned out abundantly. Cargoes are already shipping for Gibraltar and the Mediterranean ports.  In the course of this month the harvest will become general on all the Islands.

Coroner's Inquest - On Thursday, the 28th ult, an inquest was held before Hosken James, Esq. at the dwelling house of Joseph Marshall, innkeeper, in the parish of Tywardreath, touching the death of a boy named Michael Joll, about seven years of age.  It appeared from the evidence that the deceased, son of John Joll of Tywardreath, went into a field in the occupation of his father adjoining the St. Blazey canal, for the purpose of driving back his father's cows which had broken out of the field, and in doing so, owing as is supposed to his foot having slipped, he fell into the canal and was drowned. The body was recovered from the water in about half an hour, but life was found to be quite extinct.  Verdict; accidental death.

On Friday last, another inquest was held before the same Coroner, at the Prince of Wales Inn, in the parish of Lanivet, to inquire into the death of Rebecca Davey, wife of William Davey, of Lanivet Church Town, yeoman.  On the preceding day, deceased was found hanging in her husband's barn, close by the dwelling house, quite dead.  There could be no doubts from the evidence that she hung herself, as she had been in a low desponding state for some months.  Verdict:  Insanity.

An inquest was also held on Wednesday last, at Ludgvan, before the same coroner, to investigate the cause of the death of Thomas Rodda, a miner of that parish.  It appeared in evidence that deceased went to Penzance on Saturday on business, with a small cart drawn by a mule.  On his return home late at night he met with a neighbour, called Corin (Curin?), a blacksmith, at a public-house at Chyandour.  They had some beer there, and as deceased was about to proceed on his journey Corin, whether for the purpose of injuring the deceased or from mere wantonness, upset the cart and mule, by which the deceased was so much hurt that he died on Monday evening.  After a very long inquiry, the Jury acquitted Corin of the charge of murder, but returned a verdict of manslaughter, and the Coroner accordingly issued his warrant for his apprehension.

Another inquest was held last evening, by Mr. James, at Mevagissey, on the body of Mr. Thomas Pearce, son of Mr. Pearce, merchant, of that place. The deceased had been in a very desponding state for some months past, and about seven o'clock yesterday morning had hung himself in the hay-loft adjoining his house.  He was greatly respected and his unhappy end is much lamented.  Mr. P. was about 34 years of age, and has left a wife and family.  Verdict: Insanity.

Fairs in Cornwall in August
- Boscastle and Goldsithney, 5th
- Falmouth, 8th
- Mawgan in Meneage, 9th
- Budock and Marham Church, 12th
- Boyton, Liskeard, and Lelant, 15th
- St Lawrence, 22nd
- Landrake, 24th
- There is also a cattle market at Tregoney, 15th, and Penzance, 18th.

Continued to next page

[  BACK  ]