Malcolm to Menzies Gold Escort
The townsite of Menzies is located in the eastern goldfields, 728 km east north east of Perth and 132 km north of Kalgoorlie. Gold was discovered in this area in 1894, and Mr Leslie Robert Menzies and John McDonald were the first to take up a lease here in October 1894, naming their lease the "Lady Shenton". It was a rich gold find, and the Mining Warden for the area recommended a townsite be declared in 1895, referring to the place as "Menzies" after the prospector. Menzies was an American born prospector who had sought gold in America, Africa and New Zealand, and came to Australia on behalf of a syndicate. The townsite was gazetted in August 1895.
Books of interest................
"No Sign of the Time"
By P & B Rodgers
Published by the Shire of Menzies 1992
Photos but no index
ISBN 0 85905 172 2