This active Catholic Church located at 500 Church Street, Monterey, CA, part of the Diocese of Monterey, was founded June 3, 1770, and has been in continuous use since 1795. The Chapel has been designated a National Historical Landmark. It is the only early California Presidio Chapel remaining in the entire state, but is not actually located on what is presently the Presidio of Monterey property.
There are two marble markers embedded in the floor of the Chapel near the altar:
The National Historical Landmark plaque placed on an entry post on March 10, 1973, as part of the Bicentennial Project, has the following memorial information:
Return to Main Cemetery Page
Return to Main Page