1 Earsdon parish register for St. Alban. original records verified. Original document verified
2 The International Genealogical Index (IGI) resources.
3 Earsdon parish register for St. Alban. Original document verified
4 Newcastle City Library. Transcription of Monumental Inscriptions at St. Albans, Earsdon 1976
5 http://www.genuki.bpears.org.uk/NBL/Horton/. "HORTON is a parochial chapelry comprising the townships of Bebside. Cowpen, Hartford East, Hartford West, and Horton, whose united area is 5,550 acres. It is bounded on the north by the river Blyth, on the west by the parish of Stannington, on the south by Earsdon parish and Cramlington chapelry, and on the east by the parish of Earsdon and the port of Blyth. The number of its inhabitants in 1801, was 1,197; in 1811, 1,449; in 1821, 2,099; in 1831, 2,423 in 1841, 2,838; and in 1851, 4,449 souls. This chapelry abounds in coal and stone, and the soil is a strong clay, which produces excellent crops. Until 1768 it formed a portion of the parish of Woodhorn, but at that period it was made into a parochial chapelry, and obtained all the privileges of a distinct parish." [From History, Topography, and Directory of Northumberland, Whellan, 1855]. Horton, St Mary was originally built in the 12th century but was completely rebuilt in 1827 and restored in 1903. It formed part of Woodhorn Parish until 1768 when it became a separate parish. It stands on a hill beside the B1505 road about 3 miles south west of Blyth (OS reference NZ275797). A chapel of ease, Blyth St Mary, was built in 1864 at the west end of Blyth market; this became a parish church in 1897. Another church in Horton Parish, Newsham St Bede, had its origins around 1916 and served the mining villages of Newsham and New Delaval. As the population moved, so did the church, and the present building is the fourth. It is located on Newcastle Road, Blyth and was consecrated in 1957.
6 George Bell Collection. Register of Marriages, Marriages from the Horton Registers (1665-1837). http://genuki.cs.ncl.ac.uk/Transcriptions/NBL/HOR.html.
7 The International Genealogical Index (IGI) resources, George WIGHAM and Dorothy Oliver.
8 Earsdon parish register for St. Alban, EP186/8.
9 Grave Stone stands in St Albans Church, Easdon, Northumberland.
10 Earsdon parish register for St. Alban, page 30. Son of George and Dorothy WIGHAM of Whitridge.
11 http://www.genuki.bpears.org.uk/NBL/Earsdon. "Earsdon, a parish comprising the townships of Backworth, Blyth and Newsham, Burradon, Earsdon, Hartley, Holywell, Seaton Delaval, and Sighill, is bounded on the north by Bedlingtonshire, on the west by Long Benton, Cramlington, and Horton, on the south by Tynemouth, and on the east by the German Ocean. It is a rich and fertile district abounding with excellent stone and coal, of which great quantities are annually exported from Blyth and Hartley. The surface of the parish consists of gentle undulations, and is well suited for various kinds of agricultural produce It is about seven and a half miles in length by six in breadth, and comprises an area of 11,646 acres. The population in 1801, was 3,651; in 1811, 4,388; in 1821, 4,644; in 1831, 6,460; in 1811, 9,429; and in 185l, it had increased to 10,982 souls." [From History, Topography, and Directory of Northumberland, Whellan, 1855]. The ancient parish of the chapelry of Earsdon includes the village of Earsdon itself, Backworth, Burradon, Seghill, Holywell, Hartley, Seaton Delaval and Newsham. The chapel at Earsdon, demolished in 1837 and replaced by the present church (2005), was founded before 1250. It was dedicated to Saint Alban, as is the present church.
12 GRO. Register of Deaths, vol 25, page 291.
13 Death Certificate DYA799080. original document on file. The cause of his death was tubercular peritonitis, the informant on the death certificate is Richard Wake of East Howdon.
14 Christ Church register of burrials, page 855. original documents verified.
15 Information provided by John E Heckels.
16 Newcastle Parish Register for All Saints.
17 Death Certificate DYA800345. copy of original on file
18 UK Census 1841. Photocopy of microfilm image on file
19 UK Census 1851. Photocopy of microfilm image on file
20 http://www.genuki.bpears.org.uk/NBL/Longbenton/. "LONG BENTON parish comprises the townships of Killingworth, Long Benton, Walker, and Weetslade, whose united area is 9,040 acres. Its population in 1801, was 3,355; in 1811, 4,358; in 1821, 5,547; in 1831, 6,613; in 1841, 8,711; and in 1851, 9,205 souls. The parish is bounded on the north by Earsdon, Cramlington, snd Stannington, on the west by All Saints' and Gosforth parishes, on the south by the Tyne, and on the east by the parishes of Tynemouth and Wallsend. It contains extensive collieries, foundries, quarries, gunpowder-works, &c. -upwards of 1,300 persons are employed in the collieries alone. The soil in this district is very fertile, and the parish is intersected by the York, Newcastle and Berwick Railway." [From History, Topography, and Directory of Northumberland, Whellan, 1855].
21 http://www.original-indexes.demon.co.uk/NBL/NTE/NTE-LBN.htm#church. The church of St. Bartholomew, standing on low ground, about half a mile to the north-east of the village, and very nearly in the centre of the ancient parish, probably occupies the site of an edifice existing here in 1130, if not earlier; there was a church here in the 14th century, and fragments of a building of that period were found during the last restoration: the church was restored in 1791 and the chancel floor raised in 1838, and in 1855 the chancel was rebuilt in the Perpendicular style and the whole structure new roofed, a stained east window being given at the same time by Dr. Thomas Addison, of Spring Gardens, London, as a memorial to his parents: in 1873-75, the church was restored and enlarged under the direction of Mr. R.J. Johnson, architect, at a cost of about £3,000: in 1885 and embattled south porch was erected at a cost of £120, and in 1888 new vestries for the clergy and choir, were built on the north side of the chancel, at a cost of about £220: the church now consists of chancel, nave of five bays, south aisle, organ chamber, vestry, south porch and a western tower with four pinnacles and spire containing one bell: a stained memorial window has been placed in the tower to J. Middleton esq. and Mrs. Middleton, late of Benton House: there are sittings for 380 persons. [Kelly's Directory of Durham and Northumberland (1890), page 725.]
22 Longbenton parish Register for St. Bartholomew, Original records verified. 2nd Son of Thomas (pitman) and wife margaret MOOD of Newburn.
23 Death Certificate DYA733487 on file. The informant on his death certificate was Richard Wake.
24 GRO. Register of Deaths, Register of deaths for Christ Church Tynemouth vol 25, page 383.
25 Christ Church register of burrials, Number 279.
26 http://www.genuki.bpears.org.uk/NBL/Tynemouth/ChurchHistory.html. The old church in Tynemouth Priory was the original parish church of Tynemouth, but by the seventeenth century this was unusable. It was replaced by Christ Church (consecrated 1668) in the adjoining town of North Shields. This was enlarged in 1792. For many years Christ Church alone served the needs of a very large and growing population. Around 1840, however, Holy Saviour Church at Tynemouth Priory and Holy Trinity in North Shields were brought into use, and these attained parish status in 1861. In the latter year three more churches, St Paul's, Whitley Bay; St John's, Percy Main; and St Peter's, Tynemouth, further subdivided the ancient parish. In subsequent years several more churches were added, including North Shields, St Augustin, which was consecrated on November 18th 1884, and which has the distinction of being the first to be consecrated in the new Diocese of Newcastle.
27 George Bell Collection. Register of Marriages.
28 GRO. Register of Births, vol. 10b, page 825.
29 UK Census 1861. Digitised version of original on file.
30 UK Census 1881. Digitised version of original on file
31 Newcastle Chronicle, 25/2/1826. copy of origiginal on file.
32 The International Genealogical Index (IGI) resources, Parents Thomas WIGHAM and Margaret MOOD.
33 North Tynesode Library, North Shields, Biography file.
34 UK Census 1851, HO 107/2410 fo. 326.
35 GRO. Register of Deaths, SDN 8.1.1891. Daughter of late George and Ann WIGHAM.
36 North Tynesode Library, North Shields, 1.3.1839. Will of mary Prior in relation to the Deeds of 8 Frank Place, North Shields.
37 (Para 135). On 31st December 1853 a commission was established to inquire into the causes which have led to, or have aggravated, the late outbreak of Cholera in the towns of Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Gateshead and Tynemouth. "That the borough of Tynemouth, as its name imports, is situated at the mouth of the river Tyne, on the north bank, some eight or nine miles below Newcastle, and in a physical and sanitary view presents many points of resemblance both to Newcastle and to Gateshead; that the same radically bad forms of house construction, back to back or into "banks," and the same dangerous, if not irremediable, unwholesomeness of habitations prevails there also to a considerable extent; the sewerage, drainage, paving, and privy and ashpit accommodation being probably as deficient there, and the water supply being worse, than in either of those other places: and the whole sanitary condition of the borough, as regards permanent works, being admitted to be but little better than in 1849, when it was very bad, and when the place was most severely visited by cholera".
38 http://www.genuki.bpears.org.uk/NBL/Tynemouth/. "TYNEMOUTH parish is bounded on the north and west by the parishes of Earsdon, Long Benton, and Wallsend, on the south by the river Tyne, and on the east by the German Ocean. It comprises the townships of Chirton, Cullercoats, Murton or Moortown, North Shields, Preston, Tynemouth, and Whitley, whose united area is 7,222 statute acres. The population in 1801, was l4,345; in l811, 19,042; in l821, 24820; in 1831, 24,778; in 1841, 27,249; and in 1851, it had increased to 30,524 souls. The surface is generally level, consisting of a strong soil, well suited for the growth of beans and wheat. Coal and ironstone are abundant, and the only magnesian limestone in the country is found in this parish. Three moors, known respectively by the names of Tynemouth Moor, Shire Moor, and Billy Mill Moor, and containing together an area of 1,300 acres, were divided and enclosed, under the authority of acts of parliament, obtained in the reign of George III." [From History, Topography, and Directory of Northumberland, Whellan, 1855]
39 Birth Certificate BXCB152908 on file. The informant is Richard WIGHAM - his uncle (father Ralph's younger brother) who was living with the family (referred to as occupier) at the time of Ralph's birth. The father is described as a Coal Miner.
40 GRO. Register of Births, Register of Births, District of Tynemouth Vol xxv, page 415.
41 GRO. Register of Deaths, District of tynemouth, Northumberland - vol 10b, page 125.
42 GRO. Register of Marriages, vol 10b, page 325.
43 UK Census 1841, HO107/825/2.
44 GRO. Register of Deaths, vol 10b, page 95.
45 UK Census 1871. Digitised version of original on file
46 UK Census 1891. Digitised version of original on file
47 UK Census 1901. Digitised version of original on file
48 Death Certificate DYA 770233 on file.
49 GRO. Register of Deaths, GRO. Register of Deaths, District of Tynemouth - vol 10b, page 96. Ent No 206.
50 GRO. Register of Births, GRO. Register of Births, District of Durham - vol 10a, page 199.
51 GRO. Register of Deaths.