Wisconsin Scandinavian Obituaries Ar - Az

Wisconsin Scandinavian
Obituaries Ar - Az

Norway Flag     Denmark Flag     Sweden Flag

Arneson Anton
Arneson Carelius
Aarneson Carelius Mrs.
Arneson Halvor
Arneson Halvor Mrs.
Arneson John
Arneson John Mrs.
Arneson Magna
Arneson Ole
Arneson Ole Mrs.
Arneson Simon
Arnold Danny
Ask Amund A.
Ausdahl, John
Ausdahl John Mrs.
Austad Arnt A.
Austad Brede A.
Austad Jonette
Austin Theodore Mrs.
Austinson Austin
Austinson Kari Mrs.
Austreng Hans
Axness Albert K.

Amund A. Ask was born in Grandin, Hardanger, Norway on February 7, 1849. He came to this country in the year 1865 and spent that year in the state of Iowa. The following year in 1866 he came to Wisconsin and settled in Beaver Creek. On June 1, 1876 he was united in marriage to Astri Kittleson. Mr. and Mrs. Ask resided on a farm in Bear Creek, now owned by Julius Johnson, for a period of 15 years. In 1891 Mr. Ask purchased a farm north of Ettrick and moved there the same year. Selling this farm to his son, Ed, in 1901, he moved to Ettrick and resided there up to the time of his death. Mr. Ask was prominent in holding town offices in the Town of Ettrick and was a supporter of the Norwegian Lutheran Church. He was stricken with paralysis on December 6, 1922 and died April 2, 1923. Funeral services were held Wednsday at Ettrick with Rev. Urberg in charge and Rev. Boe assisting. Many friends and relatives gathered on this day to pay their last tributes to the departed one. He leaves to mourn his death his wife, 3 children, Charles Anderson of Blair; Ed Anderson of Ettrick and Mrs. E.E. Runnestrand of Ettrick. THE BLAIR PRESS - APRIL 5, 1923

Funeral services for John Ausdahl, who died at the Community Hospital February 29 at the advanced age of 89, were held Monday in the home in Coral City and at the Hale Lutheran church, the Rev. N.E. Halvorson officiating. Burial was in the Hale cemetery. Pallbearers were Adolph Hanson of Whitehall, Eddie Nelson, Peter Simonson and Casper Johnson of Coral City, and Andrew Hammerstad and Bernt Beck of Hale. John Ausdahl was born January 1, 1851, in Hedemarken, Norway. His marriage to Julia Skarmrue of the same community took place on Jun 3, 1878, the ceremony performed by the Rev. Kristian Barkervink, the pastor who had baptized and confirmed both of them. Mr. Ausdahl brought his bride to the United States on their honeymoon, arriving in New York July 1. They came across country by rail, stopping at LaCrosse at the home of Mrs. Ausdahl’s sister, Mrs. Karen Black. Leaving his wife here, Mr. Ausdahl came north to the town of Hale and found employment on the farm of Sever Hulberg, now deceased. After purchasing a farm of his own, Mrs. Ausdahl joined her husband and on that place they lived until 14 years ago, when they moved to Coral City. Their farm was the present Sam Olson place. On June 3, 1939, the Ausdahls observed their 61st wedding anniversary. Without children of their own, John AusdaHl and his wife reared seven orphans and other children from childhood to maturity. The only one of these seven surviving his foster-father is Bernt Beck of the town of Hale, who, together with his brother Andrew, was formally adopted. Andrew lived with his foster parents from the age of 13 until his death at 59. Deceased is also survived by his wife who is 81. THE WHITEHALL TIMES - March 7, 1940

"Mrs. John Arneson died at her home in Preston November 14, 1911, of stomach trouble after a week's illness, aged 55 years, 1 month and 7 days. Deceased was born in Valders, Norway. She was married to G. Gunderson in June 1881, and to this union were born eight chidren of which five survive. Her husband died in 1894. In 1903 with her children she came to this country, and in 1907 was married to John Arneson of Preston. Besides her husband, she leaves to mourn her death the five children as follows: Randa Gunderson of Whitehall; Mrs. Ernest Swenson of Cokato, Minn., and John, Gustave and Oluf Gunderson of Preston; also four sisters, Anne Bakke and Randie Braaten of Norway, Mrs. John Gilbertson of Arcadia. All the children were present at the funeral except Mrs. Swenson. Mrs. Arneson was a dutiful wife and a loving mother and had a large circle of friends and acquaintances who, with the bereaved husband and children mourn the greatest loss that could befall them. The funeral services were held at her home Friday, November 17, Rev. Gulbrandson officiating. There was a large attendance and the floral offerings very elaborate and beautiful. Interment took place at the Blair cemetery." THE WHITEHALL TIMES/BLAIR PRESS - December 7, 1911

"Mrs. Ole Arneson of Newcomb Valley died October 20, 1935, aged 77 years, 5 months and 27 days. Funeral services were conducted at the Fagernes church October 23, the Rev. Johan Olsen officiating. Burial was made in the church cemetery.
Maiden name of the deceased was Mary Axness. She was born April 23, 1858, to Knut and Kari Axness at Oraker in Valders, Norway. At the age of nine years she came to America with her mother and brother, Albert Axness. The father had died a few years before, and four brothers had preceded the mother, son and daughter to this country.
Upon arrival in America, the newcomers settled at Houston, Minn., where Mary spent her childhood days. She was confirmed in the Lutheran church there by the Reverend Jenson. The mother married again, and the family came to the town of Arcadia, this county. The farm on which they lived is now occupied by A.K. Axness, and it was on this place that Mary Axness and Ole Arneson were married on April 23, 1881.
The newlyweds lived for two years in the city of Arcadia and then moved to the farm in Newcomb Valley, which remained her home until death. The cause of her demise was heart trouble, which took her life after less than a week's illness, and she was able to tbe up and around until the day before she died.
Mrs. Arneson is survived by her husband, Ole Arneson; her brother, A.K. Axness of Newcomb Valley; four sons, Carl of Montevideo, Minn., Albert of Minneapolis, Elmer of Irene, S.D., and Oscar of Arcadia, and two daughters, Cora Arneson and Mrs. Alllen Gilbertson of Newcomb Valley, besides several nieces and nephews living in South Dakota and Minnesota and grandchildren.
Mrs. Arneson was a quiet, home-loving wife and mother, always doing for others. The respect in which she was held was attested to by the great number of relatives, neighbors and friends who attended the last earthly rites." THE WHITEHALL TIMES - October 31, 1935

"In Grue, Solor, Norway, John Arneson was born 86 years ago, the 25th of March, 1844. He was baptized, confirmed and grew to young manhood in his native parish, and there he was united in marriage to Olea Hagen in 1866. The year after their marriage they set sail for America. After a brief time spent at the Mecca of so many Norwegian immigrants, Coon Prairie, they came to Trempealeau County where the present Albert Arneson farm was homesteaded by them. The following children were born to them: Arne and Kaia, who passed away within a few days of each other during a diptheria epidemic, the former ten and the latter three years of age; Lena, Mrs. Gunder Gunderson, Welch Coulee; Julia, Mrs. Edward Erickson, died March 3, 1911; Carl, Whitehall; Albert, on the home place; Clara, Mrs. Albert Tenneson, Blair; Agnetta, Mrs. Ole T. Brekke, died January 26, 1915. There were 20 grandchildren, of whom 17 are living and 3 great-grandchildren. After 33 years of happy married life, his wife passed away May 4, 1899. Eight years later he was married to Mrs. Marit Gunderson who died four years later, November 4th, 1911.
Mr. Arneson was a substantial citizen of the community, a builder who by earnest labor contributed much to the welfare of his fellow man; a father who saw his children grow up to be worthy and respected members of the community; a person who by example and industry, has contributed much to our present day. As he prospered he did not forget the higher values; a sincere Christian who, when he had found the pearl of great price, sought to interest others in the riches that do not age. He was a member of the Zion Lutheran Church from the time he settled here. In pioneer days he was much sought after to make coffins for the dead and as he was a good singer, he often performed the simple rites at the grave in the absence of the pastor.
In 1918 he entered the Lutheran Home for the Aged at Sauk Center, Minn. The last two months his health gradually declined and he passed away Friday, March 21, 1930, at the Home. According to his wishes, $50 is to be given to the home missions and foreign missions.
Funeral services were held at the Zion Lutheran Church, Blair, Tuesday, March 25th, the Rev. T.E. Sweger officiating, assisted by Rev. D.A. Erickson, the pastor of the Home for the Aged. Interment was made in the Zion Cemetery." THE BLAIR PRESS - March 27, 1930

Ole Arneson, 89, pioneer resident, died at his home in Newcomb Valley at 4:45 p.m., Saturday, July 2, 1938. He was born in Norway May 25, 1849. There he studied under private tutorage. In 1871 at 22 he came alone to America and from New York came to this vicinity. For 30 years he taught school in Minnesota and Wisconsin. He wrote for many of the Norwegian Papers in the Norwegian language. His humorous and poetic writings in the earlier days were carried in many of the Norwegian papers in this country. Three years ago he wrote a poem about his old home in Norway, in the Norwegian language and translated it to English. It was carried in various papers in the area. For 50 consecutive years he was precentor and secretary of the Fagernes church. He married May Axness at Arcadia. She preceded him in death two year ago. Together they went to farming in the Newcomb Valley where he has since lived. He is survived by five sons and two daughters: Carl of Montevideo, Minn.; Albert, Minneapolis; Elmer, Irene, South Dakota; Oscar at home and John Newcomb, a stepson, town of Arcadia; Mrs. Allan Gilbertson, town of Arcadia, and Miss Cora at home. Seven grandchildren also survive. Funeral services were conducted at 1 p.m. at the home and at 2 p.m. at the Fagernes church about four miles east of the home. The Rev. Johan Olsen officiated. Pall bearers were five sons and one son-in-law, Oscar, Elmer, Albert and Carl Arneson, John Newcomb and Allen Gilbertson. THE BLAIR PRESS - JULY 7, 1938

Simon Arneson, 72, died of a heart attack September 15, 1964 at a LaCrosse hospital. He was taken to the hospital the day before. He was born March 28, 1892, at Faaberg, Norway, and came to this country with his parents at the age of 10. He married Olga Hoff November 24, 1923 at Galesville. They farmed on her father’s farm in Hardies Creek, later purchasing it. He also was engaged in carpentry. In 1944 they purchased the home in Ettrick where they had resided since. Survivors are his wife; a son, T. Sgt. Vernon with commercial transportation in the U.S. Air Force in Turkey; three grandchildren; a brother, Anton, Hardies Creek, and three sisters, Mrs. Karen Ekern, Hardies Creek; Mrs. Ed (Ingeborg) Elliot, Winona, and Mrs Irvin (Olga) Baird, North Bend. Funeral services were held at 2 p.m. Monday at Hardies Creek Lutheran Church, the Rev. H. P. Walker officiated and burial was in the Hardies Creek cemetery. A devotional services was conducted Sunday evening at the Runnestrand Funeral Chapel. THE BLAIR PRESS - SEPTEMBER 24, 1964

Funeral services were held Monday for Mrs. John Ausdahl, 86, who died at her home at Coral City at 5:45 Thursday morning, March 23. She had been ill for about two weeks following a light stroke. The services were held at 1:30 at the home in Coral City and at 2 o’clock at the Hale Lutheran church, the Rev. N.E. Halvorsen officiating. Burial was in the church cemetery beside her husband, who preceded her in death four years ago at the age of 89. He died the same year that the couple celebrated their 61st wedding anniversary. As Julia Sarmrue, Mrs. Ausdahl was born on Norway’s independence day, May 17, 1858, in Hedmarken, Norway. On June 3, 1878, she was joined in marriage to John Ausdahl by the Rev. Kristian Borkervink, who had baptized and confirmed both of them. For their wedding trip they came to America, arriving at the home of Mrs. Ausdahl’s sister, the late Mrs. Karen Black at LaCrosse, July 15, 1878. The bride found employment in LaCrosse and her husband went to the farm of Sever Hulberg in the town of Hale, Trempealeau County where he was employed until they establishd their home on the farm near the Hulberg place, now owned by S.G. Olson. They purchased their home in Coral City in 1926. Mr. and Mrs.Ausdahl had no children but brought up several including Bernt Beck, now of Hale, and his brother Andrew, deceased. The couple cared for many motherless children, and Mrs. Ausdahl recalled on their 61st anniversary that they had five foster-children in school at one time. The closest surviving relatives of the deceased are three nephews, Olaf and Isaac Black of Holmen and Alec Beck of LaCrosse. The Helmer Jacobson family have been residing with her for several years. THE WHITEHALL TIMES MARCH 30, 1944

Arnt A. Austad, was born in Hoff, Solor, Norway, July 4, 1858. He passed away at Minneapolis, June 15, 1935, a span of life of not quite 77 years. In 1869 his parents, Arne and Olea Knutson Austad emigrated to America. The family then consisted of three boCs and a girl. A brother and sister died in infancy in Norway. June 2, 1889 he was united in marriage to Oleana Severson. The newly married couple made their home on the present Thomas Toraason farm on Bear Creek Ridge. Mrs. Austad passed away July 14, 1911. Afterwards Mr. Austad sold his farm and has since made his home with his oldest daughter, Mrs. Emma Lebens in Minneapolis, with the exception of occasional visits to other children and relatives. While in Minneapolis he was an attendent at the Norwegian Memorial Church, whose pastor, Rev. Elias Rasmussen ministered to him during his last illness and administered Holy Communion. He had been ailing about three months with heart disease but had been confined to his bed the last two weeks. He leaves to mourn his departure three daughters and two sons, Mrs. Emma Lebens of Minneaplis, Mrs. Robert Foster of Shevlin, Minn., Mrs. Thomas Redinbaugh of Neola, Iowa, Sebert Austad and Claude Austad of Blair. He also leaves 13 grandchildren. A brother and sister also survive, Brede Austad and Mrs. Agnette Toraason, both of Blair. A brother Tom passed away in 1917. All the children were present at the funeral with the exception of one daughter, Onella, who was unable to come. Funeral services were conducted by Rev. T E. Sweger at the Zion Luthran church in Blair Tuesday, June 18ty at 1:30 p.m. A grandson Stanley Lebens, sang two solos at the service, “Just as I Am” and “Abide with Me.” William Dahl sang “Naermere dig, min Gud.” Pallbearers were Elmer Anderson, Albert Toraason and Albert Austad, Omar Austad, Tony Anderson and Thomas Toraason. Flower bearers were Mercedes Olson, Arlo Toraason, Bernice Solberg, Gladys Austad, Lennice Toraason and Arvilla Odegaard. THE BLAIR PRESS - JUNE 20, 1935
Researching this family Cindi Anderson

The day before Christmas marked the passing of one of the respected pioneer residents of this community in the death of Brede Anderson Austad who attained the ripe age of 84 years, 2 months and 25 days, when death came December 24, 1938 at 5 a.m. He had suffered from hardening of the arteries since December 1933. He had been up and about until the last two days he was ill. The contributory cause of death was pneumonia. Brede Austad was born in Hoff, Solor, Norway September 29, 1854. He was the son of Arne and Olea Knutson Austad. The family, consisting of himself, his parents, two brothers and a sister, emigrated to America in 1869 and arrived in Milwaukee in July of that year. For some months after their arrival in Trempealeau County, they found employment on the Brovold farm in Beaver Creek. The following year Arne Austad homesteaded the land which was to be his home until death as it was his son Brede who took over the farm after him. Under Brede’s capable and industrious management, it was built up into one of the splendid farm homes of the community. The lovely farm home under the helter of the hills, with the spacious lawn richly adorned with trees and flowers, forms a very pleasing picture. Sixteen winters or more Brede left his family to manage the farm while he was employed in the timber country and with the return of spring resumed work on the farm. He was of sturdy stock, who endured hardship and shunned no task however hard, whose labor and example have given strength to the community. From his many seasons in the pineries, he drew a rich fund of experience on which he loved to dwell. Brede was confirmed in the Trempealeau Valley church by Rev. Erik Jensen. He was united in marriage to Jonette Hanson Johnsion May 3, 1886. They were able to celebrate their golden wedding anniversary in the presence of many friends May 3, 1936. Seven children were born to their union. The oldest son Ole, died in infancy. The others are Mabel (Mrs. Henry Solberg), Taylor; Albert, Blair; Omar on the home farm; Clara (Mrs. Edward Gunderson), Blair; and Isla and Gladys at home. There are nine grandchildren. Brede cared for his parents in their declining years. His mother passed away December 5, 1900 and his father May 31, 1904. He was the last of a family of six. A sister and brother died in early youth in Norway. A brother Thomas, July 19, 1918. His brother Arndt, July 15, 1935. His sister, Agnette (Mrs. Torvald Toraason) December 23, 1935. Funeral services were held Tuesday afternoon December 27th at 1:15 at the home and 2 p.m. at the Zion Lutheran Church. Rev. T.E. Sweger officiating. William Dahl sang “Den Store Hvid Flok” and a favorite hymn of the deceased “Rock of Ages.” The pall bearers were Frank Nelson, Emil Hanson, M.J. Matson, Sophus Dahl, Harold Rude and John Shelley. THE BLAIR PRESS - DECEMBER 29, 1938
Researching this family Cindi Anderson

Mrs. Jonette Austad, who would have celebrated her 90th birthday April 24, died April 22, 1959 at her home here. She had been partially paralyzed since suffering a stroke January 30, 1958. The former Jonette Hansen Johnson was born in 1869 in Elverum, Norway. Her parents were Martha Ottersdatter and Augustinius Hansen. She was baptized in the parish church in Elverum, and came to America with her mother in 1873 and lived in Trump Coulee with her mother and stepfather, the late Bernt B. Johnson until her marriage. She was confirmed in the Norwegian Lutheran church in Blair June 28, 1884 by the late Rev. B. Hovde. On May 3, 1886, she was married to Brede A. Austad. The couple moved to the Austad homestead where Mrs. Austad made her home until the fall of 1940 when she moved to Blair. Austad died December 24, 1938. She is survived by two sons, Albert and Omar, four daughters, Mrs. Henry (Mabel) Solberg, Mrs Edward (Clara) Gunderson; Mrs. James (Isla) Berg and Mrs. Norman (Gladys) Thompson; three brothers, Bernardt, Oscar and Albert E. Johnson and one sister, Mrs. Mary Matson, all of Blair; 17 grandchildren and 17 great-grandchildren. A son, Ole, died in infancy. Three brothers and two sisters are dead. Funeral services were held Saturday at 2 p.m. at Zion Lutheran church, the Rev. E.E. Olson officiating and burial was in the church cemetery. William Dahl sang “Rock of Ages” and “Den Store Hvide Flok” accompanied by Mrs. Lawrence Holven at the Organ. Six grandsons, Kenneth and Harvey Solberg, Burton and Merline Austad and Verle and Ellwood Austad, served as pallbearers. THE BLAIR PRESS - APRIL 30, 1959
Researching this family Cindi Anderson

Mrs. Theodore Austin, 73, died Friday at 9 p.m. at Tri-County Memorial Hospital, Whitehall. She had been a resident at Grand View Home since February. In late August she was admitted to the hospital and later lived at the Tri-County Memorial nursing home (September 30, 1967). The former Olga Victoria Hanson was born April 21, 1893 in Norway to Carl Killerud and Maria Olson Hanson, and came to America when 11 years old. She was married January 7, 1909. Her husband has died. She spent her entire life in the Blair area with the exception of a few years when she and her husband lived in Winona. She also had been a resident at the Nyen Rest Home here. Survivors are two sons, Clifford, Milwaukee and Harry, Chippewa Falls; three daughters, Mrs. Lloyd (Mamie) Walling, Milwaukee; Mrs. Sidney (Mildred) Stutlien, rural Blair, and Mrs. Lambert (Delpha) Ratajczyk, Winona; 14 grandchildren and 8 great-grandchildren and two sisters, Mrs. Irving (Hilda) Nordstrom, Norway, Michigan and Mrs. Constance Kirchof, Flint, Michigan. Funeral services were held Monday at 2 p.m. at Zion Lutheran Church, Blair; the Rev. L.H. Jacobson officiating. Burial was in the church cemetery. The Frederixon-Jack Funeral Home was in charge. Pallbearers were Arthur Fredrickson, Helmer Berg, Oscar Olson, Spencer Gunderson, Armand Burt and Eric Daun. THE BLAIR PRESS - OCTOBER 5, 1967

Austin Austinson was born on the Kvamsdahl farm Eidfjord in Ulvik Parish Hardanger, Norway, June 15, 1867. He was baptized and confirmed in the Eidfjord church. At the age of 19 years he, together with his parents and a brother Andrew emigrated to America. A brother Haakon had preceded them to this country and a sister, Barbara, came later. Their first home was at Erhart, Minnesota. The harsh winters of northern Minnesota were not to the liking of Austin’s father so that after two years, the family moved farther west to Bangor, Washington, where the milder winters and the proximity to the ocean were more like their native Hardanger. It was on a visit to his uncle Baard Herreid in Beaver Creek that Austin became acquainted with Carrie Warberg and their marriage was solemnized in the Conference church at Ettrick by Rev. Ole Gulbrandson November 13, 1895 with the result that he remained in this community the rest of his life. He was engaged in farming five years at the Walter Young farm at Galesville, one year preceding his marriage and four years afterward. In 1899 he purchased the home place in Bear Creek, which is now farmed by youngest son, Gilbert. He was taken sick last fall and the diagnosis revealed cancer. He and his wife spent a few months with their children in Kansas City this winter and then returned to await the final summons. He passed away Saturday night, April 11, 1935 at 1 p.m., aged 68 years, 9 months and 23 days. He leaves to mourn his passing his wife and the following children: Alice (Mrs. Odell Flaaten) Bear Creek; Millie, Kansas City; Anna (Mrs. George Nesser) Kansas City; Gladys (Mrs. Carl Sexe) Ettrick; Norman, Kansas City and Gilbert on the home place. One child Gilbert Olai died at the age of 7 months. There are 9 grandchildren. A brother and a sister survive, Andrew of Seattle Washington and Mrs. Barbara Swanson of Erhart, Minnesota. A brother Haakon died 15 years ago. Mr. Austinson joined the Beaver Creek congregation 37 years ago. He was a regular attendant at divine services and faithfully and cheerfully discharged his obligations as members of the church. He was a devoted husband and father, a good and upright citizen, interested in all that pertained to the welfare of the community. He was naturally of a cheerful disposition with an optimistic outlook on life. Though loyal to his adopted land he always maintained a tender spot in his heart for that country where the first 19 years of his life had been spent. Funeral services were conducted by the past Rev. T.E. Sweger Wednesday afternoon, April 15th at 1 p.m. at the Carl Sexe home in Ettrick and 2 p.m. at the Beaver Creek church. The male quartette sang. Two memory wreaths were given by friends, one to WCAL and one to Wittenberg. Pall bearers were Carl, Gilbert and Lawrence Kittleson, Olaf Sexe, Irvine Herreid and Ed Lokken. THE BLAIR PRESS - APRIL 23, 1936

Kari Warberg was born in Eidfjord, Hardanger Norway July 9, 1876. She was the daughter of Gunder Nelson Warberg and Mary Gjormoe Warberg. She emigrated to America with her sister, Anna, at the age of 14 years in 1890. They came to Trempealeau County where their first home was with their sister Dora (Mrs. Lars Kittleson) in Bear Creek. She was confirmed in the Beaver Creek Lutheran church by the Rev. Ole Waldeland in a class of 24, June 14, 1891. She was united in marriage to Austin Austinson in the Conference church at Ettrick by the Rev. Ole Gulbrandson November 13, 1895. The first two years of their married life were spent on the Walter Young farm near Galesville. The farm in Bear Creek was then purchased, which has since remained her home. The following children were born to this union: Alice (Mrs. Odell Flaaten), Bear Creek; Millie, Los Angeles, Calif; Norman, Kansas City, Mo.; Anne (Mrs. George Nesser) Kansas City, Mo; Gilbert, on the home farm and Gladys (Mrs Carl Sexe) of Blair. One child died in infancy. Mrs. Austinson was very sick five years ago and suffered from internal hemorrhages. From this illness she gradually recovered. Sunday morning, October 30, 1938 she was suddenly stricken with a heart ailment and in a few minutes passed away. Besides the children who mourn the loss of a wonderful mother, the following sisters and brothers survive: Mary (Mrs. Peter Eklund) of Los Angeles, Calif.; Bertha (Mrs. R.N. Sand), Kief, North Dakota; Helen (Mrs. Walter Peterson), Harvey, North Dakota and Nils Warberg, Robsart, Saskatchewan, Canada. Mr. Austinson passed away April 11, 1936. Her mother died the year after Mrs. Austinson came to America. Her father came to America in 1905 and lived with his daughters in Bear Creek until his death in 1918. Two sisters have also preced her in death, Mrs. Dora Kittleson and Mrs. Anna Seaton. There are 13 grandchildren. Mrs. Austinson had long been a loyal member and worker in the Beaver Creek Lutheran church faithful in attendance at service and interested in all things churchly. She was an industrious worker always ready to spend herself in the service of others; she bore in patience the ills and hardships of life; of gentle ways and cheerful disposition she was ever forgetful of self and thoughtful of every one else. Funeral services will be conducted this Thursday afternoon, November 3rd, at the home at 1 p.m. and at the Beaver Creek church at 2 p.m. the Rev. T.E. Sweger officiating. A ladies trio composed of Mesdames Lloyd Quammen, Elvin Rogness and Orrin Bue willsing two songs. The pall bears are Carl, Melvin, Gilbert and Lawrence Kittleson and Edward Lokken and Sherman Olson. THE BLAIR PRESS - NOVEMBER 3, 1938

The death of Hans Austreng occurred at the home of his niece, Mrs. C. Evenson, in Wisconsin Rapids Sunday, October 29, from cancer. His death was not unexpected as he has been a sufferer from this malady for some months. Mr. Austreng was born in Gubrandalen, Norway, in 1852 and came to this country in 1877, and was a resident of Pigeon and Whitehall until twelve years ago when he moved to WisconsinRapids to make his home with his niece, and has been with Mr. and Mrs. Evenson since. He was a cripple for many years, and could not have found a better home, nor had better care than with them. He never made complaint and always had a pleasing word for everybody. The funeral was held Wednesday at the Rapids. Mr. Austreng was 70 years old at the time of his death. His genial manner and friendship will be remembered by old time residents of Whitehall and vicinity. THE WHITEHALL TIMES-BANNER - NOVEMBER 9, 1922

Funeral services were held December 5, at Hardies Creek Lutheran church for Anton Arneson, 83, rural Ettrick, who died unexpectedly at his home December 2, 1964. The Rev. H.P. Walker officiated and burial was in the church cemetery. Arneson was born July 29, 1881 in Faaberg, Noway, the son of Mr. and Mrs. Simen Arneson. He as a farmer and carpenter. He never married. Survivors include three sisters, Mrs. Karen Ekener, rural Ettrick, Mrs. Irvin Baird, Melrose and Mrs. Edward Elliott, Minnesota City, Minn. A brother, Simen, died last September. THE BLAIR PRESS - DECEMBER 10, 1964

Carelius Arneson was born in Vaaler Solar parish, Norway, July 10, 1843, and came to America with his parents in 1865. In 1868 he was married to Christiana Larson. They moved to his father’s homestead in Lakes Coulee, where they lived 12 years. In 1880 Mr. Arneson bought a farm on Bear Creek ridge and resided there until his death. Twelve children were born to this union. Five have preceded him in death. His wife and seven children are left to mourn his departure: Carl Arneson, Bear Creek Ridge; Mrs. Lara Trones, Beaver Creek; Ole Arneson, Bear Creek Ridge; Mrs. Henry Severson, Taylor; Miss Tillie Arneson, at home; Mrs. Albert Berg, Bear Creek; Mrs. Selmer Matson, French Creek. Mr. Arneson had been confined to his bed the last 12 weeks with heart trouble, and passed away June 6, 1927, at the age of 83 years, 10 months and 26 days. He was a man of quiet, unassuming character. The esteem in which he was held was attested by the great number of automobiles that followed the funeral cortege to the last resting place. Funeral services were held at the home at 1:00 p.m., and at the Zion Lutheran Church, on Thursday, June 9th, Rev. Sweger officiating. THE BLAIR PRESS - JUNE 9, 1927

Kristiana Larson was born in Vaaler Parish, Solar, Norway, August 31, 1852. She came to America with her parents in 1865, and was united in marriage to Carelius Arneson in 1869. Their first home was Mr. Arneson’s father’s homestead, where they lived 12 years. In 1881 Mr. Arneson bought a farm in Bear Creek Ridge, and there resided until death. Mr. Arneson died June 6th this year, aged 84 years. His wife’s health began to fail, and it was discovered that she was suffering from cancer of the stomach. She died at the home of her son, Carl Arneson, Thursday morning, November 17, 1927, aged 75 years, 2 months and 17 days. Their union was blessed with 12 children, of whom seven survive, namely: Carl Arneson, Blair; Mrs Lars Trones, Blair; Ole Arneson, Blair; Mrs. Henry Severson, Black River Falls; Millie Arneson, Blair; Mrs. Selmer Matson, French Creek; and Mrs. Albert Berg, Blair. Mrs. Arneson was a life long member of Zion Lutheran church, and funeral services were held there Sunday, November 20th, at 2 p.m., Rev. Sweger officiating. Interment was made in Zion cemetery beside her husband. THE BLAIR PRESS - NOVEMBER 24, 1927

Funeral services for Halvor Arneson, 72, who died suddenly of a heart attack at his home in Whitehall, September 28, were held Friday at the home at 1:30 and at Our Saviour’s Lutheran church at 2 o’clock, the Rev. O.G. Birkeland officiating. Pallbearers were Ed Scott, Ludwig Solsrud, C.H. Anderson, John Beaty, Henry Fransen and Gabe Nelson. The flowers were carried by Mmes Martin Swenson, Gus Solsrud, Herman Briggs and H.C. Kloety. Mrs. Carl Jahr, soprano, sang “Den Store Hvide Flok,” at the church and a group from the Senior Choir of the congregation sang “Abide with Me” and “Beneath the Cross of Jesus”. In respect to him who had been janitor of Whitehall high school 27 consecutive yeas, having resigned only the past summer, the school was closed for the afternoon. Many of the children attended the rites at the church and three representatives from each grade placed a gold chrysanthemum on the coffin in a ceremony of respect and love. Those flowers were later presented by the Arneson family to the confirmation class of Our Saviour’s church to wear at their catechizaton at church services Sunday. Burial of Mr. Arneson was in Lincoln cemetery. Halvor was born in Ettendoren Territory, Norway, April 9, 1865, son of Arne and Sarah Thorson. When he was a year old the family came to America, settling in Dane county near Mt. Horeb. Two years later they came north, living at Old Whitehall a year before they moved to Irvin coulee when the baby of the family, Halvor, was four years old. Arne and his wife homesteaded what is now the Marcus Arneson farm. There Halvor lived with his folks until he was 17, when he went to work on the section at Dexterville. Thereafter he worked at various jobs both in this vicinity and in the west. On October 8, 1893, Halvor Arneson and Miss Hannah Hanson were married at Whitehall and established a home here, where they have lived since with the exception of a year in Osseo. During the 27 years that he was school janitor, Halvor missed only five days of work, and of this time he had a record of 25 ½ years of continuous service. About two years ago he received an injury to one of his toes when he dropped a piece of coal on it, which later caused him much discomfort. He had been a member of the volunteer Whitehall Fire Co. 35 years, 27 years of which he served as treasurer. His long years of uninterrupted service testify that he was dependable and trustworthy, and the large attendance at the funeral services and the expressions of sympathy to the family prove that he had many genuine friends. He was a quiet, unassuming type, doing his work well and interfering with no one. His hobby was fishing. Mr. Arneson is survived by six children, Hilman, Clara, Amy (Mrs. Theron Scott) and Hazel (Mrs. Ben Mahle), Whitehall, Dr. Odell Arneson, Cochrane, and Evelyn (Mrs. Clarence Reuter), Milwaukee. His wife also survives him, and five grandchildren. He was the last of his family to pass on, his parents, three sisters and two brothers having preceded him. THE WHITEHALL TIMES - OCTOBER 7, 1937

Death came peacefully on Thursday, October 23, at 11 p.m. to Mrs. Halvor Arneson, 66, at her home in Whitehall, relieving her of months of ill health. Since the death of her husband on September 28, 1937, a heart ailment had afflicted her and during the last eight weeks of her life she had been confined to her bed. Funeral services were conducted at the Arneson home on Ellis street and at Our Saviour’s Lutheran church Monday, the Rev. O.G. Birkeland officiating. Burial as in Lincoln cemetery, her sons, Dr. Odell Arneson and Hilman Arneson, her sons-in-law, Theron Scott, Clarence Reuter and Ben Mahle, and her grandson, Harold Arneson, carrying her to her last resting place. The flowers were carried by Mmes. Gus Solsrud, Lewis Hanson, H.C. Kloety and Gertie Schilke. A group from the Senior Choir sang three hymns at the last rites, “Beneath the Cross of Jesus,” “Heaven Is My Home,” and “Abide With Me.” Mrs. Arneson, nee Hannah Hanson, was born in Solor, Norway, April 7, 1875, the daughter of Theodore and Olivia Hanson. At the age of 11 years she came to this country with her family, who settled on a farm near Blair. There they resided for about a year and then purchased a farm 1 ½ miles north of Whitehall. While living there the daughter Hannah was confirmed by the late Rev. Emanuel Christopherson. On October 8, 1893, she was united in marriage to Halvor Arneson at Whitehall, where the young couple established their home and resided here the rest of their lives with the exception of one year, when Osseo was their place of residence. Mr. Arneson was for many years janitor at the Whitehall High School, resigning only a short while before his death in 1937. Surviving the deceased are six children: namely, Hilman and Clara, who live at home, Odell of Cochrane; Amy, Mrs. Theron Scott, Minneapolis; Hazel, Mrs. Ben Mahle of Whitehall; and Evelyn, Mrs. Clarence Reuter, Madison. A brother, Tom Hanson of Bemidji, Minn., also survives, together with five grandchildren. THE WHITEHALL TIMES - OCTOBER 30, 1941

Magna Arneson was born in Askim, Norway, March 15, 1874 and died January 21, 1918. She came to America when about 15 years old, coming directly to Whitehall, were she has since resided. For the last 19 years she has lived as a member of the family in the home of her uncle, A.O. Melby. She joined the Rebecca lodge May 25, 1896; held many appointive offices, and July 1, 1901 was installed as Noble Grand; later representing said lodge in the assembly held at Eau Claire. Her untimely and sudden death came as a great shock to the family and friends, as she had appeared in usual health until the last few weeks. While of a quiet, retiring nature, she won many friends by her kind, unselfish life. She will be greatly missed in the lodge rooms as well as among her large circle of friends. The Rebeccas will have charge of the funeral at 2 o’clock today at the M.E. church, Rev. Upson delivering the sermon. THE WHITEHALL TIMES-BANNER, JANUARY 24, 1918

Danny Arnold, two-time Emmy Award winner and the creative mind behind the hit TV show "Barney Miller" has died at age 70. Mr. Arnold died of heart failure at his Los Angeles home Saturday night, August 19, 1995 Daily Variety reported. Mr. Arnold won his Emmys for outstanding comedy series. The first came in the 1969-70 season for "My World Wec9ome to It," a sitcom loosely based on the work of writer James Thurberg. He won his second Emmy for the 1981-82 season as executive producer of "Barney Miller." Mr. Arnold did a little of everything in Hollywood-film editor, actor, writer and producer - after World War II duty as a Marine in the South Pacific. He had seven TV sitcoms under his belt by 1989, starting with the last season of "The Real McCoys" in 1963. "Barney Miller," which he created with Theodore J. Flicker, was his biggest hit. But success took a toll. Mr. Arnold was compulsively involved in almost every aspect of the show while it was on ABC and was a self-proclaimed workaholic. He suffered a heart attack in 1979 and underwent bypass operation. Mr. Arnold was born January 23, 1925 in New York City, New York. He married Donna Carolyn Cooke (daughter of William H. and Carolyn Cooke) in February 26, 1961 In Miami, Florida. William H. Cooke's parents were Walter H. and Hilda (Dahl) Cooke. Surviving Mr. Arnold are his wife, and two sons David (Tatiana) Arnold, Dannel (Karen) Arnold. Interment was at Mt. Sinai Memorial Park in Los Angeles, California. SOURCE - FAMILY INFORMATION
Researching this family - Ellen Rigsby

Albert K. Axness came to his present farm in 1872 with his mother and step-father, and has thus been a resident of this count for forty-five years. He was born in Norway, near Christiania, July 29, 1861, son of Knute and Carrie (Tostenson) Axness. The father died in Norway in 1863, and subsequently four of the sons, Tosten, born in 1844; Julius, born in 1847; Knute, born in 1851 and Ole, born in 1855, came to America in 1867, three locating near Winona, Minnesota and one near Madison, Wisconsin. In 1868 the mother, accompanied by the son, Albert K., and a daughter, Mary, born in 1858, came to this country and joined her sons near Winona. In 1870 the mother married Ole Larson. Mr. Larson soon came to Trempealeau County and bought the homestead rights of Hans Talaken to a tract of wild land in section 6, Arcadia Township, within the limits of Newcomb Valley. On this place he built a small shanty, to which in 1872 he brought his wife, and his stepchildren, Albert K. and Mary. In the fall of that year they built a small frame house, which is now the east wing of the present home. Later they erected an upright addition, and since then other additions have been made until the home is now a comfortable eleven-room structure. Barns, sheds and the like have been erected as necessity has required. Albert K. was reared to farm pursuit and finished his education in the schoolhouse of the Penny district near his home. At the age of nineteen he started for himself by securing winter employment in the lumber woods of Clark and Jackson counties, still continuing to do farm work during the summer seasons. In 1898 he brought his bride to the home place and here has since continued to live. He carries on general farming and dairying, 90 acres of his 174 acres being under plow, and the rest being in woodland and pasture. His political affiliations are with the Republican part and his fraternal relations are maintained with Arcadia Camp, No. 769, M.W.A., of which he has been a member for the past eighteen years. Mr. Axness was married January 1, 1898, to Minnie Olson, daughter of John and Mary Olson of Homer Township; Winona County. She died September 9, 1914 at the age of 37 years. Mr. and Mrs. Axness have had five children: Cora, who died in infancy; Carl, born in 1900; Ernest, born in 1902; Myrtle, born in 1907 and Orlon, born in 1909, all of whom are at home. The mother of Mr. Axness died in 1907 at the age of 84 years, the stepfather died in 1905. SOURCE – HISTORY OF TREMPEALEAU COUNTY – 1917


Back to Home Page