Wisconsin Scandinavian Obituaries Gj - Gz

Wisconsin Scandinavian
Obituaries Gj - Gz

Norway Flag     Denmark Flag     Sweden Flag

Gjerseth Hans
Gjestvang Ludvig L.
Gjuul George
Golden Andrew Christianson
Golden Marie B. Mrs.
Goplin August E.
Goplin August E. (2)
Goplin Julius E.
Goplin Julius Mrs.
Goplin Ludwig O.
Goplin Mathea Mrs.
Gottenberg Redwald
Graasletten A.H.
Granberg Helene
Granberg Henry O.
Granberg Ole
Granlund Marthea
Granrud Ole
Grant William D.
Grasberg Anna Mrs.
Grasberg Morris
Green Christ.
Greenwold Norval
Grinde Jorand Mrs.
Gronvold Gunhild
Grotem Ole H.
Gulbrandson Martin Rev.
Gulbrandson Ole Rev.
Guldmoen Ane P. Mrs.
Guldmoen Peder Pederson
Gullickson John C. Mrs.
Gullord Olaf C.
Gunderson Adolph Dr.
Gunderson Albert
Gunderson Gilbert
Gunderson Gunder
Gunderson Gunder Mrs.
Gunderson Ida Mrs.
Gunderson Lauritz
Gunderson Louis Mrs.
Gunderson Martin Jr.
Gunderson Otto
Gunderson Patronalle
Gunderson Peter G.
Gunderson P.G. Mrs.
Gunderson Ole
Gunderson Samuel
Gunderson Torger
Gunderson Torger (2)
Gunem Halvor H.
Gunem Halvor T.
Guskjolen B.O. Mrs.
Gutsven Martha Mrs.
Guttormson Ole Mrs.

"Gunhild Gronvold died at the home of her grandson, Marcus Arneson, Ervin Coulee December 20, aged eighty-six years, eight months and six days.
Ragnhild Olson (Valders) died at the home of her son Han Olson, in the town of Hale December 23, aged ninety-seven years, five months and twenty-nine days.
These items of news so close together, at a time of year when old men are more apt to indulge in memories and reflections than in prospects and anticipations, determined me to combine their obituaries. A further reason for this is the fact that they came from the same stock and practically from the same district in Norway, a district famous for the beauty of its women and the bravery of its men. Gunhild came from Sondre Land and Ragnhild from Valders. Their names also serve to associate them for they came like faintly heard chimes from the most ancient castles and princely halls of our forefathers--suggestive of a romance and high adventure.
There are still other things that naturally link their memories. They both belong with the poor, the unlearned and lowly; they both were strugglers and bravely maintained their fight against poverty and heavy odds during a longer period of time than common. When they came to this country they were both matured women molded, not only by their racial inheritances, but also, by the traditions, environments and experiences of their ancestors. They were born in the shadow of Norway's highest and most majestic mounts, the perpetualy snow-capped "Jotunheim" signifying the giants home. Their most immediate surroundings were swift flowing rivers, cascading brooks, thundering waterfalls, heather covered cliffs, pine class slopes and lonely heaths aflame in autumn with clandberries and wortelberries. And there were the churches built by the immediate followerers of St. Olaf, strang phantastic, windowless structures that had served their holy purpose for six to eight hundred years. Around them clustered legends innumerable of romance and tragedy.
But the character of these women, was probably mostly influenced by the hand to hand struggle to maintain existence which they constantly witnessed and in which they played their several parts from their earliest remembrance. They were taught by example as well as by precept that labor to the limit of one's capacity is one of the most sacred duties of man. Their God and the thousands and one agencies which He uses to shape the fortunes and destinies of human lives were more real and nearer to them than the state and its rulers. The ancient mandates, "In sorrow shalt thou bring forth children" and "In the sweat of they face shalt thou eat bread" received from them a literal interpretation and personal application as natural and inescapable as night and day. Their duties were summed up in the saying: "Do the best you can and leave the rest to God."
Gunhild when about twenty-four year married one Aslakson. Two years later she was a widow with two babies in arms. Death soon took one of them. In 1869 with her surviving child she came to Vernon Co. Wis. Here soon after her arrival she married Ole Gronvold. With him she lived twenty-five years. Once more she was widowed and compelled to work for her living. Soon after her husband's death she came to this county and for a time made her home with her daughter, Mary Arneson. Thereafter until about the year 1907 she worked here and there as helper in homes. In 1907, when her daughter's health began to fail, she took up her home permanently with the Arnesons and turned over to them all her savings. In 1909 her daughter died from tuberculosis leaving Mrs. Gonvold at the age of seventy-four the practical head of a family of five minor children, the youngest only four years of age. There were debts, poverty, insanity and the ever lingering ghost of a dreaded disease. But she made no appeal for help, no complaint. She simply day by day, laid hold of the tasks that were nearest. I met her frequently during these heavily burdened years and always found her content and smiling. Her fingers grew stiff, caloused and crooked. That she accepted as a matter of course, a ripening for the great change. Very appropriate was the test used by Rev. Hofstad at her funeral. "Thou shalt come to thy grave in full age, like as a shock of corn cometh, in his season."
One glad memory I have and that is, that her grandchildren loved her and were good to her. "No, she was never any burden," they say. Almost to the last she waited on herself and then peacefully went to sleep. In the old Norse language there is a very appropriate word for such as ending of life. "Slokna" which was very often used instead of the word died. It has no English equivalent but signifies the same as the words, "it went out" when we speak of a fire or light.
In 1861 Ragnhild Olson came with her husband Embret Olson and two children to Dane county, Wisconsin. Her husband for a time worked in the Wisconsin lead mines. Once while working alone in a mine, the earth caved in and completely cut him off from the exit. His wife's energy and skill with the shovel saved him from death. In 1869 they moved to the town of Hale, this county, and made their home where their faithful, steady-going son, Hans lives. Embret Olson was almost a genius as a mechanic, but his eyes failed him early and cut off his opportunities for the use of his natural skill. From this time on it is well known that this wife became the leader in all domestic enterprises. Though not a large woman she was eminently qualified for the part she had to play. She was wiry, tough, gritty and unusually active. When her own shoes were too much worn to conceal her unclad feet, she had no hesitation about using the brogans of her husband. When she had only one discouraged looking horse and needed a team, she took a cow to help pull the load and unabashed drove these oddly matched beasts to market. If anyone made uncomplimentary remarks about her team that fellow usully left her with tingling ears wishing he hadn't said it. She was a master at rough and ready repartee and few, if any, ever got the best of her in a war of words. If she ever was depressed or down hearted during the many years I knew her I never caught her at it. That she knew pains, wants and heartaches, in her long battle with poverty and the raising of six children, cannot be doubted. But the wounds she received in the rough and tumble struggles of her life were not kept on exhibition except as subjects for jests and laughter. Up to five months before her death she was physically active and up to a few days before the end mentally sound.
She to, when the Maser's final summons ame, just "Slokna." The candle burned to the socket, all the fibers of her being had burned until only the grey ashes were left and the light and heat went out. Those who knew her will always recall her memory with a smile, not in derision nor pity, but because no hardships or adversities could crush her indomitable pluck or extinguish the light of her exuberant spirits. Many leave fame and wealth but no smiles. Fame dies, riches take wings and flies away, but smiles pass on from heart to heart shedding warmth and radiance upon our paths.
Rev. Oerke chose apporpirate words when he ministered at Ragnild Olson's funeral: "And thou shalt go to thy fathers in peace, though shalt be buried in a good old age."
It may be said, " Why use so much space for an obituary of two old, ignorant women, whom most of the readers of the Times-Banner never heard of? They persisted in living an unreasonably long life in violation of sanitary laws and all modern regulartions for labor. Why? When that why is truthfully understood, most of our present day economic troubles will cease. They persisted in laboring cheerfully, finding their reward in duties performed without reference to the amount of coin it brought. They felt an individual responsibility to something higher and greater than transient ever-shifting organizations. They were strugglers and not stragglers. Stragglers may be ornamental-like the trimmings on a piece of architecture, but in the very nature of things they are not the pillars that sustain the social structure. While a goodly number of such men and women are with us social order and prosperity will continue. But when desisters, quitters and stragglers, who teach that the world owes everyone a living, whether he works at play or plays at work, get the actual as well as the political control of the world, we shall have ruin and chaos. H.A. Anderson - New Years Day, 1923" THE WHITEHALL TIMES-BANNER, January 4, 1923

Months of failing health came to a close Wednesday, February 21, when Mrs. Ida Gunderson passed peacefully away. Her death removed another of the early settlers who took part in developing this community. Ida Kolden, the daughter of Berthe Kolden and John Kolden, was born July 29, 1862 in Gulbrandsdalen, Norway. When she was four years old, she immigrated with her parents to America and came to LaCrosse and then to Black River Falls, where they stayed a couple of years. Later they moved to the town of Hale, where they homesteaded land. She was confirmed by the late Rev. E.M.. Christophersen. On March 22, 1882, she was united in marriage to Tobias Gunderson by the Rev. Christophersen and settled in King’s Valley. To this union five children were born, namely, Gustave; Bergine, Mrs. H. Christianson; Susie, Mrs. Hartwig Holmen; Mandt and Tracy, all of Osseo. Mr. Gunderson preceded her in death on their wedding anniversary in 1931. After his death she moved to Osseo, making her home with her son, Tracy and family. Since the death of Mrs. Mandt Gunderson, she made her home with Mandt, taking care of his motherless children. Besides her children, she leaves the following brothers and sisters: Mrs. Peter Isom, Mrs. Anders Johnson, Mrs. Albert Christianson, John, Julius and Torval Kolden of Osseo; Charel and Edevart Kolden of Portland, Oregon. She also leaves 13 grandchildren and three great-grandchildren. Funeral services were held at the King’s Valley church, of which she was a charter member, Saturday, February 24, the Rev. O.C. Aune officiating. The pallbearers were six nephews, Ernest Johnson, Bennie and Orval Kolden, Clinton Christianson, Joseph and William Isom. Burial was in the church cemetery. At the services the Rev. Aune, Chester Haugen and Ole Indrebo sang “Rock of Ages,” “I Need Thee Every Hour,” and “O Love That Will Not Let Me go.” Mrs. Gunderson will be greatly missed by her children and grandchildren, to whom she has been very devoted and faithful. Blessed be her dear memory. THE WHITEHALL TIMES - MARCH 7, 1940

Andrew Christianson Golden was born in Smaalenene, Norway, September 22, 1840 and died at Osseo, October 5, 1919. Mr. Golden immigrated to the United States and settled on a farm in the town of Hale, Trempealeau County in May 1871. On October 12, 1872, he was united in marriage to Marie H. Bjoge, who preceded him to her reward April 1914. The family was blessed with five children, three survive him, as follows: Mrs. Ludvig G. Anderson, Osseo; Mark Golden, on the old homestead in the Town of Hale; and Charles H. Golden of Merton; one son, Thomas A., and one daughter, Mina, having preceded him to the other shore. Mr. Golden devoted his life to his Savior and through his connection with the Evangelical Lutheran church continued to serve him to his last moment, being a member of the Whitehall Evangelical Lutheran church. Mr. Golden served his township as a member of its board for a number of years. He also took an active part in many other enterprises that tended towards the upbuilding of better citizens. He always took a keen interest in his family and friends and they will all feel the loss of a true father and friend. May he rest in peace. THE WHITEHALL TIMES-BANNER - OCTOBER 16, 1919

The funeral services of Hans Gjerseth, mention of whose death on Tuesday, June 14, 1921, was made in our issue of last week, were held from the Lutheran church in this city at 2 o’clock last Wednesday afternoon, Rev. L.S. Marvick officiating. Interment was made at Riverside cemetery. Mr. Gjerseth was born at Rosen, Ronsvalen, Norway, on February 22, 1863 and his age at his death was 58 years, 4 months and 22 days. He was the son of Mr. and Mrs. Hans Gjerseth. He came to this country in 1883, and for 20 years he was employed on the Spaulding farm. Later he was employed on the Ormsby farm about seven years. The past seven years he had been employed in the city. He was married at Taylor to Miss Anna Hanson. She passed way four years ago last November. He is survived by two sons, Harley and Otis, and two brothers, Peter and Erick Gjerseth. He was an honest, hard working man, and until his health failed him, a number of years ago, he was constantly employed, his employers having full confidence in his integrity and in his application to this duties. He was well known about the city which had been his home ever since he came to this country, and he was favorably regarded by all. His sons and brothers have the sincere sympathy of many friends in their sorrow. REPRINTED FROM THE JACKSON COUNTY JOURNAL THE TAYLOR HERALD - JULY 1, 1921

Mrs. Marie B. Golden, daughter of Hans and Margarete Bjorge, was born in Norway on March 3, 1846. When 23 years old, she immigrated to this country. On October 12, 1872, she married Andrew C. Golden and settled on a farm in the town of Hale, Trempealeau county, Wisconsin where she remained until called to her reward on April 1, 1914 at the age of 68 years and 28 days. Mrs. Golden leaves to mourn her loss, an aged husband; and two sons and one daughter as follows: C.H. Golden of Merton, Waukesha County, Wisconsin; Mark Golden on the old homestead and Mrs. L.G. Anderson of Osseo, Wisconsin, one daughter having preceded her in infancy and a son, Thomas, about one year ago. A host of friends feel that God has taken unto himself one of His best beloved children. Mrs. Golden interested herself in all that stood for charity and kindness. The church of which she was a member will feel stronger for having had in its ranks so loyal a servant of Christ. The Ladies’ Aid society will ever regret the comrade that has gone, and the church will miss the cheering message that came to its meetings from a great heart. Her last prayer was that uttered by her Master who when in distress: “Thy will not mine be done.” Gentleness with her was a necessary attribute of life. She will ever be a sweet recollection in the lives of those who knew her. The funeral was held from the United Lutheran church of Whitehall on the afternoon of April 4th, conducted by Rev. AJ. Orke. The remains were laid to rest in Coral City cemetery beside those of her son and daughter. THE WHITEHALL TIMES AND BLAIR BANNER - APRIL 9, 1914

Ludvig L. Gjestvang was born in Ness, Hedemarken, Norway, January 18, 1864, of the parents, Lars and Anne Marie Lindrud. He immigrated to the United States at the age of 18 years and landed in the port of Philadelphia. He spent most of his life in LaCrosse county working at logging on the river, prior to the last 12 years, when he lived with his nephew, Leonard Gjestvang, of the town of Hale. After a very short illness, he passed away quietly Thursday, October 13, at 5:00 o’clock. Mr.Gjestvang never married, but is survived by two sisters, Mrs. Oline Johnson of Osseo and Miss Olive Gjestvang of Boston, Mass., and several nieces and nephews. Two sisters and four brothers preceded her in death. Mr. Gjestvang was of a quiet, good-natured disposition and will be greatly missed. Funeral services were held Monday, October 17, at 1:00 o’clock from the home of Leonard Gjestvang and at the Pleasantville N.L. church. Rev. Hjemboe officiating. Burial was made in the N.L. cemetery. Pallbearers were nephews of the departed, namely, Leonard, Alex and Bonnie Gjestvang, Sever Williamson, Ludvig and Obert Johnson. Flower bearers were great-nephews; namely, Selmer Williamson and Armand Gjestvang. Rhode & Rhode, undertakers were in charge. THE WHITEHALL TIMES, OCTOBER 27, 1932

The community lost another of its pioneer settlers in the death of Amund H. Graasletten who died at the home his son, Martin Amundson, last Saturday night at eleven o’clock. Mr. Graasletten came down from Rice Lake the latter part of May to visit with his children who reside hereabouts. He spent considerable time visiting with his sons Albert Amundson and family at Northfield; Hans Amundson and family of Taylor; and then took a trip to Mindoro where he visited with his aged brother-in-law, Ole E. Olson, and other relatives there. From Mindoro he returned to the home of his son, Martin Amundson, here, arriving here the latter part of June. He was at that time ailing, although it was not thought to be anything serious. He was placed under the doctor’s care and after a few days of treatment his condition seemed somewhat improved and he was able to be around for a couple of days; but due to his advanced age, he again began to weaken until the end came Saturday night, August 6, 1927 at the age of 86 years and 9 months. Amund Graasletten was born in Northern Fron, Gulbrandsdalen, Norway, November 19, 1840. He was brought up among the hardships of the rugged mountain life of Norway, where the struggle for existence built men of great endurance and determination of will and sterling character. At the age of 25 years, he was united in marriage to Guro Pederson of Evjudalen, also of Gulbrandsdalen, Norway. At that time he was serving in the Norwegian army, and at the time his second son Martin, was born he was emcamped at Gaardermoen, a military training camp, preparatory to a proposed campaign against Germany in the difficulties arising out of the Shleswig-Holstein seizure from Denmark. About the middle of June 1870, he and his family and his mother set sail on a sail boat for America, arriving here after about eleven weeks on the ocean. They first settled near Chaseburg, near LaCrosse, in a sod hut where they resided about six months. Mr. Graasletten and family moved to the Jorgenson farm in the town of Springfield in 1871, and from then on until the spring of 1884, they lived in different places in the town of Springfield. In 1884 he purchased the farm later known as the Graasletten farm located a mile south of the Hjerleid schoolhouse south of Taylor. He lived on this farm until 1913, when he moved with his son, Helmer and family to Mondovi, where he lived for four years, then moving with Helmer and family to Rice Lake, where he has made his home until the present time. His wife preceded him in death in 1912. To this union has been born eleven children: Hans of Taylor; Martin of Blair; Bertha (Mrs. Paul Paulson) who died in 1902; Olena (Mrs. Henry Hanson) of Rhame, North Dakota; Randina, who died at the age of 4 years; August of Duluth; Gena who died in 1903; Rachel, who died in 1909; Albert of Northfield; Helmer of Rice Lake; and Olaf, who died in 1902. He is survived by 28 grandchildren and 10 great-grandchildren. His mother lived to within a few days of her 87th birthday, dying in 1901. The funeral was conducted from the Martin Amundson residence Tuesday afternoon, August 9, to the Trempealeau Valley church, where services were held and interment made in the church cemetery, Rev. Sweger officiating. THE BLAIR PRESS - AUGUST 11, 1927 Researching this family - Brian von Konsky
Website at Amundson-Grassletten Genealogy

Julius E. Goplin of the town of Sumner, one of the pioneer residents of Trempealeau County, died at the home of his son-in-law and daughter, Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Larson in Duluth, Minnesota, September 26, aged 81 years 4 months and 4 days. Funeral services were held September 29 in that city and the following day at the Hale Lutheran church in North Branch, the Rev. N.E. Halvorsen officiating, and burial was in the family lot in the church cemetery. Mr. Goplin was born in Lillehammer, Norway, May 22, 1855, son of Eric and Elie Goplin. He, with his parents, brothers and sisters came to America in 1867, locating near Janesville, this state, where they stayed two years before coming to Trempealeau County. Julius was confirmed in the Lutheran faith and attended public school. While still a young man, he left home to support himself at whatever kind of work he could find in this then pioneer community. In 1878 Mr. Goplin married Sina Olson. Seven children were born to them, of whom five survive his death. A boy, Olaf, died in infancy and Emma passed away 31 years ago. Mrs. Goplin died in 1919. Giving up farming many years ago, Mr. Goplin in the meantime had spent 17 winters in Duluth with the Arthur Larson, mentioned above, but he always returned to his hometown, Sumner, for the summers, residing with his son, Edwin and family, who operate the home place. During the three years before his death he had had failing health and because of that, he was not able to make the usual trip back to Wisconsin last spring. He had mad many friends in Duluth during his long residence there. Deceased is survived by four daughters, Mrs. Larson and Mrs. C.S. Christianson of Duluth; Mrs. Joseph Fisher of Waseca, Minnesota; and Mrs. Hugh Russell of Altoona; one son, Edwin Goplin of Sumner, six grandchildren and two great-grandchildren. He was a kind and loving father who will be greatly missed by his children. THE WHITEHALL TIMES - OCTOBER 8, 1936

Sina Goplin was born in Faaberg, Norway, March 20, 1853, and died at her home in the town of Sumner on June 5, 1919, at the age of 66 years, 2 months and 15 days. Mrs. Goplin, together with her parents, emigrated to America in 1873 and settled in the town of Hale. On March 25, 1878, she was joined in marriage to Julius Goplin. To this unions were born seven children, two of whom passed away years ago. She leaves to mourn her loss her husband and five children: Mrs. C. Christianson of Duluth, Minnesota; Mrs. A.L. Larson of Duluth, Minnesota; Mrs. L.E. Heath of Arcadia; Mrs. H.W. Russell of Humbird, and Edwin who remains at home. A sister, Mrs. P. Jevne of Cameron and two brothers, E.O. Maug of Cameron and H.O Maug of Hale who survives her. THE WHITEHALL TIMES - BANNER - JUNE 12, 1919

August E. Goplin was born in Lillehammer, Gulbrandsdalen, Norway, August 1, 1857, son of Eric and Eli (Roen) Goplin and passed away Thursday, June 17, 1948, at his home in the town of Hale. Short funeral services were held at the home at 1:30 and at the Synod Lutheran church at Pigeon Falls at 2 o’clock Monday, June 21, and interment was in their cemetery lot of the United Lutheran church at Pigeon Falls, where his remains rest beside those of his wife, Beatha, who preceded him in death on July 23, 1930. August Goplin came to America with his parents and three brothers, Olaus, Julius and Simon and two sisters, Maria and Elise in 1867, settling first near Janesville, Wisconsin. In 1869 they moved to their homestead, now the Ludwig Goplin farm in the town of Hale, where August grew to manhood. He was baptized into the Lutheran faith in Norway and confirmed in the Synod Lutheran church of Pigeon Falls by the Rev. S.L. O. Shewen and later became a member of the United Lutheran church of that place. On December 15, 1888, he was united in marriage to Beatha Steig and to this union were born six children, three sons, Edward, Charles and Ernest and three daughters, Inga, Mrs. Theodore B. Olson; Emma, Mrs. Adolph Anderson; and Mildred. Funeral services were in charge of Director E.A. Sletteland and the Rev. C.K. Malmin officiated and paid tribute to the departed for his sterling qualities as a builder of a home and true and faithful Christian. The song service consisted of a hymn by the audience, a hymn “God Understands” by Mrs. Willie Johnson, a great-niece and another by the Rev. and Mrs. C.K. Malmin, “Jeg Ved Mig En Sovn I Jesu navn.” Pallbearers were the three sons Edward, Charles and Ernest, two sons-in-law, Theodore B. Olson, Adolph Anderson; and a nephew, Ludvig Goplin. Flower girls were three granddaughters, Beatrice, Celina, Elaine and one great-niece, Corrine Goplin. Mr. Goplin is survived by the three sons and three daughters, Edward, Charles, Ernest, Inga, Emma and Mildred; five grandchildren, Edgar and Mrs. Thomas (nee Esther) Baken, son and daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Edward Goplin; Beatrice and Celina, daughters of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Goplin; Elaine, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Ernest Goplin; and one great-grandson, Thomas Edward Baken,; by one sister, Mrs. Marie Myhren, now 94 years old, of Spokane, Washington, and by many relatives and a host of friends. Floral gifts were many and memorials of $193 were gifts of relatives and friends. I cannot lose the door of the past without a few words of tribute to the departed. Like most pioneer children of that day, August Goplin had to forego many of the opportunities for schooling in the English language, but what he lacked in this he made up by a determination that it should not be a handicap in his life and he made best use of his talents in self study and became very efficient in the important branches of study such as reading, writing and arithmetic. In the Norwegian he was very proficient. But it takes more than efficiency in those lines to build a home for the future, and with a desire to accomplish the same he put his energy, industry and thrift to work, so that when he married, he had a creditable amount of funds saved up to purchased the nucleus of the farm home we now know as one of the finest and best equipped in this section. Good management and hard work has brought to fruition his desire that he would leave a nice inheritance of tangible goods to his children. However, those are not the greatest assets of which his children share, but the manly character, industry, thrift and management were qualities for his children to emulate and to his credit as well as that of his wife, it can be said they reared a fine a family as one can find anywhere. But it was not the material things of life that meant the most to him. It was the spiritual welfare of his family and by his example, he has left to them their greatest heritage. He was a true Christian, gave liberally toward the support and the furtherance of God’s Kingdom on earth. He was a child of God. He was a kind and sympathetic friend and neighbor and his home radiated an atmosphere of welcome in his sunset of life, he could truly look back upon a life well spent and he was prepared to pass on to his eternal home in the heavens. His earthly career is ended but the memory of him will linger on and his children will carry on as faithfully as he wished them to do. God bless his memory. Written by G.M. Steig. THE WHITEHALL TIMES - JULY 1, 1948

Redwald Gottenberg, who lost his life recently while crossing the English channel, was formerly a Trempealeau county boy. He was born in Biri, Norway, in 1890. In the fall of 1907 he migrated to America, coming direct to Pigeon Falls, of this county. He attended the public schools at Pigeon Falls during that and the following winter, working for Anton Johnson the latter year. From 1908 to 1911 he worked in the creamery for the P. Ekern Co. In 1911-1912 he was a student at Gale college. After finishing his schooling, he was for a short time at Bellview, Minnesota. He spent the two following years as a student at the Wisconsin Agricultural school, where he completed a course in butter-making. In 1913 he secured a position as secretary of shipping for the H.J. Grell Co. at Milwaukee, rising rapidly in the esteem of his employers. He was in the first draft from Milwaukee county, entering the service as a private of Co. F. 340th Inf. And was sent to Camp Custer at Battle Creek, Michigan. He arrived safely in England but lost his life, a victim of the German submarine, when the Moldavia was attacked in the channel. He is survived by an aunt, Mrs. Eliza Klomsten, and a distant cousin, Martin Matson of Pigeon Falls, also a distant relative in CoonValley, LaCrosse county. His mother Olena Guttenberg, grandparents, two uncles and an aunt still reside in Norway. THE WHITEHALL TIMES-BANNER - June 6, 1918

Mrs. Mathea Goplin died at the hospital in Eau Claire on April 17th, where she went a week previous to undergo an operation for a tumor. She had successfully passed through the operation, but died a few days later from heart failure. The remains were taken to her home near here, and interred from the United Lutheran church, Rev. Orke officiating. Mrs. Goplin was born in Biri, Norway, about 46 years ago, and for the past 25 years or so had lived in this country. Her husband, O.E. Goplin, preceded her in death some over two year ago. Five children, ranging from 8 to 21 years, survive the death of their parents and have the sympathy of the entire community in their sad bereavement. THE WHITEHALL TIMES AND BLAIR BANNER - MAY 5, 1904

Martha Anderson Granlund passed away Sunday morning, October 15, 1933, having attained the age of 80 years, 9 months and 3 days. She was born in Solar, Norway, January 12, 1853, where her childhood and early womanhood was spent. She was united in marriage to Peter Granlund just a few years before they sailed for America. Their union was blessed with ten children. Her husband and three children, Peter, Alydia and Elmer preceded her in death. Mr. Granlund died January 2, 1898, leaving her with nine children. Those surviving are: Carrie, Mrs. C.T. Christianson; Amelia, Mrs. Arndt Johnson; Peter, Albert, Palmer and Aaron of this community and Martin of Walnut, Illinois. There are 30 grandchildren and 5 great-grandchildren. She also leaves to mourn her death, two sisters, Mrs. Carl O. Berg of Granton, Wisconsin and Mrs. Ole C. Berg of Canada. Her parents, two brothers, Ole and Halvor and a sister Ellen also preceded her in death. Mrs. Granlund has for the past 12 years made her home with her daughter and son-in-law, Mr. and Mrs. C.T. Christianson. She was confined to her bed most of the time for the past year. Funeral services were conducted Tuesday afternoon by Rev. Lovaas from the Taylor church. Her body was laid to rest in the Trump Coulee cemetery. Six grandsons were pallbearers, Clark, Orrin and Gorden Granlund, Eddie Johnson and Menford and Victor Christianson. Cleo and Janice Granlund were flower girls. THE BLAIR PRESS - OCTOBER 26, 1933

Helene Granberg, widow of Ole Olson Granberg, as born in Grue, Solar, Norway, April 7th, 1831. Her maiden name was Helene Larson. They emigrated to this country from Norway on the 28th day of April, 1868 and arrived at Trempealeau Valley on the 4th day of July the same year. The journey was made in the brig Benedikte which suffered ship wreak on the North Sea the third night out in a fierce storm, ship losing main mast and part of foremast. There were also other damages but with repairs made continued their journey arriving at Quebec the latter day of June. Ole and Helene Granberg took up a 150 acres pre-emption north of Blair later took up the homestead where they lived until his demise. Ole Granberg died the 8th of November, 1888 and Helene Granberg passed out of life on March 15, 1918, at the age of nearly 87 years. She was the mother of ten children, five boys and five girls of which the daughters are: Mrs. John Gaaskjolen ; Mrs. Andrew Benson and Mrs. Ole Grasberg, all who live near Blair. The sons are Hnery Granberg of Oskosh, Wiscnsin and Emil Granberg of Blair. The family settled on the bluff a mile north of Blair and was among the first settlers in that locality. Ole Granberg was well and favorably know as one of the most industrious workers in the new country. His career was one of rugged honestness, great perserverance and a hard and earnest toiler. He was known for his marked ability in clearing land and done more grubbing and clearing for his neighbors and himself than any one person known. It has been well said that he who makes two spears of grass grow where only one grew before, is benefactor to mankind; he (Ole O. Granberg) made fields of grain grow where none grew before and is deserving of the same remark. Helene, his wife was a faithful helpmate and reared the children, some of which became noted for their learning and others for activity in chosen lines of national affairs. It is to be noted that both Ole Granberg when he passed out of this life in 1888 and Helene Granberg on the 15th of March were in their right minds and rational. Neither made any complaints of illness or lament but like true philosophers laid down to peaceful slumber in that long sleep. THE BLAIR PRESS - APRIL 4, 1918

Henry O. Granberg, 85, a member of the United States assay commission under President Woodrow Wilson and a former President of the American Numismatic Association, died at 12:15 o’clock Thursday afternoon at his residence, 1004 Michigan street. He had been in failing health for several years. A resident of Oshkosh for the last 55 years, Mr. Granberg was born at Solar, Norway, October 27, 1860, the son of the late Ole O. and Helene Granberg. He moved to Blair, Wisconsin with his parents in 1868. He was educated in the public schools of the Trempealeau area. At the age of 17 he secured employment as a railroad laborer and for four years was a section hand on the Green Bay & Western railroad. Within the space of several years, Mr. Granberg rose to the position of road master, and later was named road master for the Northern Pacific in Montana. In 1891 he returned to Wisconsin to hold the position of road master for the Wisconsin Central railroad, and came to Oshkosh that year. In 1898 he accepted a position with the Union Pacific railroad, in charge of the Yellowstone division. From 1902 until 1942 he engaged in mining development in Arizona, Colorado and Wyoming. He was a life member of the American Mining congress. Actively interested in the collection of coins, Mr. Granberg served for several years as chairman of the board of governors of the American Numismatic association, and served as president of the association in 1915. In 1912 he drafted a charter for the organization and was instrumental in securing its passage, the only one of its kind, by congress. He was also a member of the Chicago Numismatic society, the New York Numismatic society and the British Numismatic society of London. The deceased was a member of the Elks, Eagle and Masonic lodges; Masonic bodies with which he was affiliated were Rawline lodge No. 5, Garfield chapter No.4 Ivanhoe commandery No. 2 and the Korein temple, all of Rawlins, Wyoming plus the Wisconsin consistory, Milwaukee. On June 1, 1884 he married Anine Simonson at Scandinavia, Wisconsin. His wife preceded him in death July 18, 1943 in Oshkosh. Survivors include eight sons, Norman A., Earl, Clarence A., of Oshkosh; and William A. Detroit; Harry A., Denver; G. Gordon, Milwaukee; Frank G., Kaukauna; and Henry S., Denver, Colorado; two sisters, Mrs. Mina Grasberg and Mrs. Andrew Benson, both of Blair; 13 grandchildren and 14 great-grandchildren. Funeral services were held Monday afternoon at 2 o’clock at the Marquardt funeral home with Masonic rites. THE BLAIR PRESS - JUNE 20, 1946

Ole Granberg died Sunday, January 4th. Deceased was born in Grue Sogn, Solar, Norway, September 11, 1856. He left Norway, April 28, 1868, with his parents for America on the sail ship Benedicte and landed in Trempealeaeu valley on July 4th following. He was soon employed by O.I. Sterling, who was then postmaster at Mound Spring, Jackson county, where he soon learned the English language. A large family of his parents made it necessary for the oldest children to find work as it existed in the new country sparsely settled. His father pre-empted a quarter section of land two miles north of Blair, where they lived four years, after which they sold that place and took up a homestead where the present home now stands, a mile north of Blair, on the hill commanding a good view over Blair and Taylor and several miles in other directions. Mr. Granberg felt the lure of the far west early and in 1883 left for Montana while the Northern Pacific was being constructed and remained on the construction of that railway until it reached the Yellowstone river at Billings. There he joined a party going to Yellowstone Park, attracted to it by its fame for geysers, hot springs, lakes and mountain scenery. Here he was employed for nearly two years on the construction of the mammoth Hot Springs hotel. He gathered a splendid collection of minerals, fossils and gems, among which are some beautiful amethyst and sapphires, besides numerous spring formations, now left among his collections. At the end of the year 1884, he returned to his father’s home at Bair, and has since made it his home. He, with his brother Henry, and other Wisconsin people became largely interested in the mines of southern Wyoming, in which he held extensive interests. During the World’s Columbian exposition he became acquainted with a young lady from Pennsylvania, whom he married, but the union was not congenial and he obtained a divorce, without any heirs. Mr. Granbeg was for years connected with buying grain and selling farm machinery. His time was largely spent in quiet, study of his books, consisting of a large collection of the best writings and textbooks on scientific and technical subjects. He wrote articles for newspapers when events of more than usual interest stirred the country socially or politically. He wrote against shame and hypocracy. He was well posted on many subjects and had a keen intellect, but was not what the world calls a society man, though he possessed many admiring traits of characters and leaves a legion of friends. The funeral was held on the 6th inst., the services being conducted by Rev. S.S. Urberg, and was largely attended. THE WHITEHALLTIMES AND BLAIR BANNER - JANUARY 8, 1914

Mrs. Anna Grasbeg was born in Solar, Norway, September 17th, 1840. She was married to Hans Grasberg in 1862. They came to American in 1871 and settled in Trempealeau Valley where they resided until their deaths. Eleven children were born to them - five boys and six girls, all of which seven had gone before to the Great Beyond. Mrs. Grasberg’s health commenced to fail about three years ago and in January she was taken worse and from that time was confined to her bed until she died June 9th, at the age of 79 years, 8 months and 23 days. The funeral service was held from the Trempealeau Valley church Friday afternoon, June 11 and she was laid to rest in the cemetery there besides her husband and children, Rev. Boe officiating. Those left besides a host of relatives and friends to mourn her departure are her four children: Mrs. N. Stromberg of Hixton; Ole and Anna Grasberg of Blair and John Grasberg of Minneapolis. She also leaves ten grandchildren and four great-grandchildren and one brother, John, of Seattle, Washington. THE BLAIR PRESS - JUNE 17,1920

Funeral services were held on Saturday, October 23 for Morris Grasberg who passed away at the Elroy Klebig home in Larkin Valley Tuesday, October 19, 1943. His death was due to a heart attack. Morris Olsen Grasberg was born August 19, 1870 in Solar, Norway to the parents Ole Johannsen and Karen Matiesen. He was baptized and confirmed in Solar and came to America in 1889. He came directly to the Blair territory where he lived until his death. On January 23, 1896, he was united in marriage with Sofie Olesdatter Omlie, the Rev. S.S. Urberg performing the marriage service. They lived in Larkin Valley all their days. He was engaged in the carpenter trade and farming. On April 23, 1941 Mrs. Grasberg passed away. He then sold his farm to the Klebigs and made his home with them until his death. There were eight children of which one son, Albert, died in infancy. He is survived by Clara, Mrs. Simon Orell of Chicago; Omar, Great Falls, Montana; Sgt. Milton of the U.S. Army in Texas; Sadie, Mrs. Harold Nelson of Minneapolis; Minnie, Mrs. Edward Davidson, Minneapolis; and Helen, Mrs. Ray LaBelle, Minneapolis. One brother, Ole, has passed on before him and a brother Johannes survives in Sweden. Funeral services were held from the C.J. Gibson home and the First Lutheran church. Interment was at Rest Haven, where his pastor, the Rev. Konrad Urberg performed the last rites. THE BLAIR PRESS - OCTOBER 28, 1943

Christ. Green was born in Aasnes, Solar, Norway on September 21, 1861. He came to this country in 1883 and for the first seven years made his home with Mr. and Mrs. P.G. Gunderson in Welch Coulee. For 36 winters, he worked in the Northern woods and it has only been the last two years that he was unable to work in the woods on account of poor health. During the summers, he worked at various trades. Several of them were spent on the old Fagernes farm. Later he spent a few yeas with Royce Gunderson and family. A few weeks off and on, he spent with his sister, Mrs. Meistad in Welch Coulee. Last spring he came and made his home with Spencer Gunderson and Goldie here in Blair, until a few weeks ago, he was taken suddenly ill and removed to the hospital at Whitehall. He was given the best of care, but heart and lung trouble were deeply rooted and death claimed him on July 12, 1933 at the age of 71 years. Interment was made in the Fagernes cemetery with Rev. Johan Olson officiating. Pallbearers were Melvin, Clarence, Spencer, Leonard, Edward and Edgar Gunderson and flower girls were Mrs. Leonard Gunderson and Goldie Gunderson. He leaves a sister, Mrs. B.G. Meistad of Welch coulee and a brother, Gunder Green, of Colfax. THE BLAIR PRESS - JULY 20, 1933

Funeral services were held on Thursday for Norval Greenwold, 52, who died at his home at Chapultepec, town of Ettrick, New Year’s Day (1940) following an illness of but one week with pneumonia. He was born in Norway, April 4, 1887 the son of Mr. and Mrs. Martinus Greenwold. He came to America in 1906 and for the past 33 years he was occupied with farming at Chapultepec. He was united in marriage on January 30, 1912 to Amanda Moen who died May 11, 1939. He was a member of the First Lutheran church at Blair. He is survived by two brothers and six sisters in Norway and six children, Mrs. Joseph Bakken of Abrahams coulee; Mrs. Harvey Affeldt of Galesville and Henry, Norman, Allen and Norval all at home; and two grandchildren. Services were held at the First Lutheran church at Blair, the Rev. K.M. Urberg officiating. Burial was in the Blair cemetery. THE BLAIR PRESS - JANUARY 11, 1940

Mrs. Jorand Grinde, daughter of Osbjorn Instenes and wife, Jorand, was born December 21, 1858 at Ulvik, Hardanger, Norway. She came to America in 1882 and worked as a servant for four years for Beaver Creek families. She was married to Atle L. Grinde on April 22, 1886 at the Trempealeau Valley church by the Rev. B. Hovde. The young couple made their home in the Shake Hollow area where they lived for 66 years. Mr. Grinde passed away May 27, 1913 and she continued to live on the home farm which is operated by her son, Helmer and family. She is also survived by two other sons, Theodore of Tappen Coulee and Cornel of Highstown, New Jersey and one daughter, Mrs. Helen Bue of Joe Coulee. A son, Lewis Grinde, and two daughters, Mrs. Amelia Haluptzok and Mrs. Julia Moen preceded her in death. As the head of a five-generational family, Mrs. Grinde is also survived by 19 grandchildren, 39 great-grandchildren and two great-great-grandchildren. At the Ladies Aid Bazaar held at the North Beaver Creek church last fall, Mrs. Grinde had brought two pairs of home-knit mittens that she had made for the sale. She attended confirmation services and received Holy Communion there in September. Mrs. Grinde suffered a stroke about two weeks before her death. Funeral services were held Friday, December 19, 1952 at the North Beaver Creek church with the Rev. K.M. Urberg officiating. Soren Urberg sang. Burial was in the church cemetery. THE BLAIR PRESS - DECEMBER 25, 1952

Peder Pederson Guldmoen died at his home in the town of Franklin on Tuesday, June 17th of paralysis at the age of 78 years, 1 month and 23 days. The funeral services were held from the home at 1 o’clock and from the Upper Beaver Creek church at 2 o’clock on Friday, Rev. D.T. Borgen officiating. Interment was made at the church cemetery. The services were largely attended and there were many beautiful floral tributes. Mr. Guldmoen was born at Ringebo, Prestejeld, Gulbrandsdalen, Norway on April 25, 1841. He came to America and to Black River Falls on May 28, 1872. He first located on a farm at Little Norway, where he remained four years. In 1876 he moved to North Beaver Creek, where he cleared a good farm which since had been his home. He was married on June 18, 1872 at Little Norway, to Miss Anne Olson. Twelve children were born to them, of whom nine, with his widow survive him. They are Mrs. Came Hassler of Duluth; Mrs. Hans E. Larson of Black River Falls; Ole P Pederson of Eleva; Albert E. Pederson of Franklin; Mrs. Julius E. Pische of North Bend; Miss Clara E. Pederson of Minneapolis and Antone, Theodore and Eddie Pederson at home. He also leaves 20 grandchildren. All his living children were present at the funeral services. REPRINTED FROM THE JACKSON COUNTY JOURNAL THE BLAIR PRESS - AUGUST 3, 1919

Ole H. Grotem died at his farm home in Fly Creek, Sunday, January 29, aged 74 years, 7 months and 24 days. His death followed an illness extending over a period of several months. Ole H. Grotem was born June 15 (?), 1853 in Gulbrandson, Norway. A son of Mr. and Mrs. Hans Olson Grotem. He came to America with his parents when he was 12 years of age. The family settled in the town of Arcadia in 1866, where they engaged in farming, a profession which the son followed until his death. Mr. Grotem was united in marriage to Miss Christena Anderson May 14, 1881. Six children were born to them, and all survive with the exception of Carl, who died in 1918, at the age of 33 years. The children are: Mrs. Clara Matterson, Minneapolis; Alvin, Mabel and Mrs Blanche Bergerson at home. For thirty years or more Mr. and Mrs. Grotem and family resided on a farm in Plum Creek valley. About thirteen years ago, they sold the farm and moved to Whitehall where they bought a home. They resided here two years and then moved to a farm near Blair which they purchased in 1919. They sold the farm and bought what was known as the Tom John farm in Fly Creek valley, where the family still resides. Mr. Grotem was an honest, industrious, Christian man and highly respected by all who knew him. His family loses a kind and loving husband and father and the community a man who was ever willing to take his part in community affairs. Funeral services were held at the farm home and at Our Saviour’s Lutheran church Friday afternoon, February 5. Rev. Maakestad delivered the funeral sermon. The church was filled with relatives and many friends who paid final respect to the departed. THE WHITEHALL TIMES - FEBRUARY 9, 1928

Dr. Adolf Gunderson, widely known physician and surgeon of LaCrosse, died Thursday, September 15, in Norway, his native land. Dr. Gunderson, his wife, his oldest son Borge, a resident of Norway, and his son-in-law and daughter, Dr. and Mrs. Frederick Midelfart of Madison, sailed for Norway on August 3, where his son Borge, carrying out the tradition of Norwegian families, is in charge of Rosen, the Gundersen estate in Norway. Dr. Gundersen received his professional training in Norway and was graduated from the Royal University at Oslo in 1890, after which he came to LaCrosse to join Dr. Christian Christianson. Two years later he returned to his native land, where he was united in marriage and then came back to LaCrosse and continued a practicing physician. He built a $100,000 clinic in LaCrosse and for years was at the head of the Norwegian Lutheran hospital. During his years of practice as a physician and surgeon, he won wide recognition. He received the Knighthood of St. Olaf, first rank, from King Haakon of Norway in 1926. He was a Fellow in the American College of Surgeons and in the Scandinavian Surgical Society, an honorary member of the Christiania Surgical Society, and also of the Medical Society of Norway. He was a former Regent of the University of Wisconsin. Besides his widow, a daughter and seven sons survive, six of whom are physicians and three of the six were associated with him in the Gundersen Clinic at LaCrosse. It has not been decided definitely whether Dr. Gundersen will be buried in Norway or if his body will be returned to LaCrosse. THE WHITEHALL TIMES - SEPTEMBER 22, 1938

Otto Gunderson, a brother of Mrs. Iver Solberg in Lakes Coulee, and a well known personage to many of our older citizens has passed on to his reward. He was well known among the “Solar” people hereabouts, because he came that that part of Norway, and he also had many dealings with our elder set in years past. Otto Gunderson was born in Aasnes, Solar, Norway on February 15, 1864 to the parents Syver Gunderson and his wife, Berthe Marie Haugen. He was baptized and confirmed in the Aasnes Parish and was educated in the schools of Norway. In 1883 he came to America in that heavy stream of immigrants and came to Welch Coulee where he worked at his trade as a carpenter. In 1899 he married Alma Hendrickson of Pete Coulee. They lived together near Whitehall until she passed away in 1916. Later he married Mrs. Karen Pederson of Black River Falls. They lived there since. In February he suffered a paralytic stroke with which he was afflicted until his death on March 2, 1935. He leaves to mourn his loss, his wife and his sisters, Mrs. Marthea Solberg of our community. Funeral services were conducted on Tuesday March 5 in the Black River Falls Lutheran church at 1:30 p.m. by Rev. A. Romstad. At 4:00 p.m. his body was laid to rest beside that of his first love in the old Whitehall cemetery, the Rev. Konrad Urberg committing his body to the dust whence it came. He was 71 years and 15 days old at the time of his demise. THE BLAIR PRESS - MARCH 14, 1935

Mrs. John C. Gullickson, 73, Mount Dora, Florida, formerly of Ettrick and Winona, died suddenly Monday, July 2, at the home of her son, Norman, Washington, D.C. She had been to Ettrick to attend the golden wedding anniversary celebration of her brother-in-law and sister, Mr. and Mrs. E.C. Anderson, and was enroute to Florida. Mrs. Gullickson, the former Elisa Mehlum, was born in Biri, Norway, July 24, 1877, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Hans Ingeborg Mehlum. The family came to Ettrick township in 1880, and in June 1898, Elisa was married at French Creek, and with her husband, moved to Winona where the couple lived until 1927. Since then Mrs. Gullickson had lived in Florida. Survivors include her son, Norman, Washington, D.C.; two sisters, Mrs. Minnie Christensen, Winona and Mrs. Ed. C. Anderson, Ettrick; three brothers, Ingvald Mehlum, Whitehall; Harold Mehlum, Mount Dora, Florida; and Alfred Mehlum, Ettrick, and four grandchildren. Her husband and a son, Arthur, preceded her in death. Funeral services were Friday at Central Lutheran church, Winona, with Dr. L.E. Brynestad officiating. Burial was in the Woodlawn cemetery, Winona. THE BLAIR PRESS - JULY 12, 1951

Delaying an operation for appendicitis until it was too late, being of powerful physique and of the belief that his condition was not serious, Rev. Martin Gulbrandson of Westby died at 2 o’clock yesterday afternoon at the Lutheran hospital. Deceased was ill a week or ten days before he decided to come to the hospital for an operation. He arrived a week ago yesterday and was told at once that it was too late to operate as the gathering had bursted. The only hope for him was an operation to remove the poison from the vicinity of the appendix and even that might be unavailing. The operation was performed, but blood poisoning had already set in and his death was the question of only a short time. Since the operation he has suffered no pain and was conscious of his approaching end up to the day before his death. A widow and seven children, all of whom are under 15 years of age, mourn his loss as well as his mother, three brothers and two sisters. One brother, Rev. Ole Gulbrandson, is a pastor in this district of the Norwegian Lutheran church, his charge being in Blair. His other brothers and sisters and his mother reside at Northfield, Minnesota. Rev. Mr. Gulbrandson was the pastor of six churches, one at Westby, one at Viroqua, one at Cashton and three country churches in that section of the country. He had been pastor of those churches 12 years. Deceased was born in Eidsvold, Norway, 45 years ago, and was the son of Mr. and Mrs. Gulbrand Graabakken. He graduated from Augsburg seminary, Minneapolis, and was ordained a pastor of the Norwegian Lutheran church in 1890. He accepted a call to Two Harbors, Minnesota and from there went to Eau Claire, accepting a position as assistant to the late Rev. Mr. Joyme, then president of the United Norwegian Lutheran church. He resigned shortly afterward to take a charge at Pigeon Falls, Wisconsin and it was from there that he went to Westby 12 years ago. The body will be sent tomorrow to Westby where the funeral will be held from the church on Tuesday morning. Interment will be there. REPRINTED FROM THE LACROSSE CHRONICLE OF DECEMBER 18TH. THE WHITEHALL TIMES AND BLAIR BANNER - DECEMBER 24, 1908

Rev. Ole Gulbrandson died at his home in the village of Blair on Thursday, January 15th, at 12:15 o’clock p.m., the end coming suddenly by heart failure. The sad news was a shock not only to the relatives and friends in Blair and surrounding community, but throughout the state and especially in the Norwegian Lutheran circles. Ole Gulbrandson was born Eitvold, Norway, March 3, 1855 and when twelve years of age came to America with his parents locating at the Christiania Settlement near Northfield, Minnesota, where he attended school, later going to the Augsburg Seminary at Minneapolis and ordained a minister of the gospel. His first pastorate was at Stoughton, Wisconsin and two years later he went to Montevideo, where he stayed 11 years. It is almost nineteen year since he came to Blair to have charge of the three U.L. churches at Blair, Beaver Creek Valley and Trempealeau Valley, and besides attending these large congregations, he also was President of the LaCrosse Synod for the past 11 years and at the time of his death. He was also a member of the Blair School Board, and active for the cause of morality, integrity, and education believing them to be a triangle of power for turning possibilities into realities. He also gave theological instructions to the children of his parishioners and hundreds of people were confirmed by him during his 31 years as pastor. On October 23, 1884, he was united in marriage to Miss Mary Moesy of Freedom, Illinois and to this union six children were born to bless the, the two eldest, Alf and George, dying when in the young and tender years. The others are Bessie Louise, Esther, Carl Martin and Helene, and were all at home for the funeral services. Two brothers of Webster, Minnesota and two sisters of Northfield, Minnesota were also in attendance. The funeral services were held Tuesday, the 20th inst., at the U.L. church, and the large attendance of people and the many beautiful floral tributes could not begin to express the deep feeling of respect held by the people everywhere who knew him. Rev. T.H Dahl of Minneapolis preached the sermon and it was responded to by words from Rev. R. Anderson of LaCrosse, Rev. Forness of Winona, and Rev. Urberg of Blair. The remains were laid to rest in the church cemetery. THE WHITEHALL TIMES AND BLAIR BANNER - JANUARY 29, 1914

The death of Lauritz Gunderson depletes the ranks, one by one, of those sturdy Solars of Lakes Coulee who have built up their valley and prospered throughout the years. Death came to him suddenly in the Lutheran hospital at LaCrosse while he was resting in his room Tuesday, October 23, 1934 at 4:30 in the afternoon. His health has been poor during the summer and fall and death was expected at any time the Lord called. Lauritz Gunderson was born in Vaaler parish, Solar, Norway on the 14th of February 1861 to the parents Gunder Straette and his wife Karen Larson. As was their religious usage, they brought their little son to the pastor to be grafted into the Kingdom of God through the sacrament of Holy Baptism. The sacrament was administered by their pastor, Rev. Berg. During Gunderson’s young manhood, Norway did not seem to be able to room all it’s people, and the urge to move out of the country was strong. In this stream of emigration, young Lauritz was drawn. In 1882 he departed for the new America which promised so much to those who would struggle with it and conquer the west. He came directly to the vicinity, and at once became a member of the great Solar colony which lies in the territory surrounding Blair. On May 15, 1885, he was united in the bonds of holy matrimony with Helene Torrison. With her he was blessed and lived in happiness and joy for 37 years when the Lord took her from him on January 31, 1922. From the time of his arrival here, Gunderson has always made his home in Lakes Coulee. He spent some time on the Berg, Myhre and Iver Solberg farms, but in 1890, he purchased the home farm which has been his home for the last 44 years. Mr. and Mrs. Gunderson were blessed with nine children. Three of them died in infancy. The following six survive: Mrs. Anna Ahlegren of Milaca, Minnesota; Mrs. Clara Renning, Mrs. Hilda Leque, Tom Gunderson, Ole Gunderson and Syver Gunderson, all of this community He also leaves 15 grandchildren and one great-grandchild. Two sisters, Oline and Theodora have preceded him in death in Norway, while one brother, Syver, a farmer missionary to Madagascar, still lives in Drammen, Norway. Funeral services were conducted from the home in Lakes Coulee, and from his beloved church, the Blair First Lutheran, on Friday, October 26, with his pastor, the Rev. Konrad Urberg officiating. Interment was made in the First Lutheran cemetery where he now rests besides his beloved wife, Helen. THE BLAIR PRESS - NOVEMBER 1, 1934

The death of Mrs. Louis Gunderson occurred Tuesday, January 31, 1922 at her home in Lakes Coulee, following the effects of a paralytic stroke. Funeral services were held the following Saturday from the home and from the First Lutheran Church in Blair, conducted by Rev. S.S. Urberg. Interment was made in the First Lutheran church cemetery. The floral tributes were profuse and beautiful. Helene Torrison was born January 15, 1860 in Vaaler, Solar, Norway. She came to this country in January 1878. On May 15, 1885 she was married to Louis Gunderson, also of Vaaler, Norway, at Whitehall, this county. Mr. and Mrs. Gunderson resided near Blair until 1890, when they moved to the farm in Lakes Coulee which has been their home since. To this union nine children were born, three dying in infancy. Last August, Mrs. Gunderson suffered a paralytic stroke and from that time her health gradually failed until January 14 when she suffered another stroke which confined her to her bed until her death. Mrs. Gunderson was a woman of beautiful character, a dutiful wife and a loving mother. Her place was in her home, where her environment held a charm for her family and her friends. She was a good church member and always ready to lend a hand. She received her last sacrament from her clerical advisor, Rev. S.S. Urberg. In the death of Mrs. Gunderson, the community has lost a loving woman. She leaves to mourn her death her loving husband, three daughters, Mrs. Anna Ahlgren, Welch Coulee and Miss Hilda at home. Three sons, Thom, Goodwin living on his farm in Irvin’s Coulee, Ole and Syver at home. Also eight grandchildren. The community joins in extending sympathy to the bereaved family. THE BLAIR PRESS - FEBRUARY 15, 1932

Mrs Gunder Gunderson passed quietly away last Tuesday at the age of 81 years, being one of the first and oldest settlers of Chimney Rock. Her husband died some years ago. The deceased was born in Norway and she and her children immigrated to this country about 50 years ago, her husband coming here some time before her. To this union twelve children were born, seven sons and five daughters, namely: Ebrat of York, North Dakota; Alvin of Virginia, Minnesota; Emil and Harold of Gilmanton; Eddie of Osseo; Mrs Ener Johnson and Mrs. Hellick Knudtson of Strum; Mrs. Ole Hoff of Independence; Julius and Gust of this place; and Mrs. Lars Insteness and Mrs. Ole Voldaness who died some years ago, besides a number of other relatives. The funeral was held Friday and the remains were laid to rest in the cemetery here, Rev. Langehough officiating. THE WHITEHALL TIMES-BANNER - AUGUST 29, 1918

Peter G. Gunderson who celebrated his 89th birthday a week ago Monday, February 7th, passed away at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Omer Dahl with whom he made his home, Sunday evening February 13, 1944. Mr. Gunderson had not been well since he underwent a serious operation two years ago but had been up and about in fairly good health until Saturday afternoon when he was stricken with a heart attack from which he did not recover. Born in Solar, Norway, February 7, 1855 he came to America at the age of 17 years and settled near Blair. He was married to Ingeborg Nerhagen, October 12, 1880 and they became the parents of 16 children, one dying in infancy and George and Roy after reaching manhood. All the others are living and will be present at the funeral services which will be held Thursday at the Omer Dahl home at 1:00 o’clock and at the Fagernes Lutheran church at 2:00 o’clock. The Rev. T. E. Sweger will officiate at the last rites and interment will be in the Fagnernes cemetery. Mr. Gunderson was the last member of his family and is survived by eight sons, Clifford, Chippewa Falls; Edgar, Bellville, Illinois; Melvin, Welch Coulee; Clarence, Spencer, Leonard and Edward, Blair; and Milan, Independence; and five daughters, Mrs. Henry Olson, Ina, Hayti, South Dakota; Mrs. John St. Clair, Hilda, Wausau; Mrs. Lorenz Berg, Olida, Minneapolis; Mrs. Harold Rone, Goldie, Eau Claire; and Mrs. Omer Dahl, Paula, Blair. There are also a number of grandchildren and several great-grandchildren. THE BLAIR PRESS - FEBRUARY 24, 1944

Gilbert Gunderson, 84, resident of Borst valley since 1915, died at the Whitehall Community Hospital at 1:30 a.m. January 13 following a short illness from a respiratory ailment. Funeral services were held Wednesday afternoon at 2 o’clock at the East Bennett Valley Lutheran church, the Rev. .C. Danielson officiating, with burial in the church cemetery. Mr. Gunderson was born in August 1862, in Vinger, Norway, the son of Gunder and Anna Dorothea Anderson. At the age of seven, he came to America with his parents. As a young man he became a scaler in the lumbering industry and was located at various times at Phillips, Drummond, Washburn and Lake Nebagamon. He also operated a hardware store and farm implement business at the latter place for a short time. In 1915 he moved his family to Borst Valley, where he purchased a farm and spent the rest of his life. There his wife, the former Lizbeth Herbenson, whom he had married at the age of 22, died in 1921. Four children were born to this couple: George, Town of Albion; Irving, recently of Chicago but present address unknown; Hattie, Mrs. R.H. Robertson who died in 1941 and Lillian, Mrs. John Myher of Fall Creek. He also leaves six grandchildren and one brother, Ole Gunderson of Chimney Rock. THE WHITEHALL TIMES - JANUARY 16, 1947

Funeral services for Mrs. P.G. Gunderson, 74, Blair pioneer who died Tuesday at 4 p.m., January 4, 1938 at the home of her son-in-law and daughter, Mr. and Mrs. Omer Dahl, were conducted Saturday at the Dahl home at 1 p.m. and at 2 p.m. at the Fagernes Lutheran church. The Rev. Johan Olsen officiated. Burial was in the church cemetery. Six sons were pallbearers. Mrs. Gunderson,whose maiden name was Ingeborg Nerhagen,was born in Grands prestigld, Halalen, Norway, May 17, 1862. At the age of five, she came with her parents, Tosten and Maria Nerhagen to America. They settled in Trempealeau county on a farm near what is now the Fagernes church in Welch Coulee about five miles west of Blair. There they occupied a log house where the family was reared and where the first Lutheran church services were held prior to the building of the Fagnernes Lutheran Church. Mrs. Gunderson was married October 12, 1885. Mr. and Mrs. Gunderson had 15 children, 13 of who survive. George died September 17, 1907, and Royce died a year ago. The surviving children are Melvin, on the home farm; Leonard living on his mother’s childhood farm; Miland of Melrose; Clarence, living on a farm on the west village limits of Blair; Clifford of Eau Claire; Edgar of Belleville, Illinois; Mrs. Henry Olson (Inga) of Hayti, South Dakota; Goldie and Mrs. Norenz Berg (Olida) of Minneapolis; Mrs. John St. Claire, (Hilda ) of Wausau, Wisconsin; Mrs. Omer Dahl (Paula), Spencer and Edward Gunderson of Blair. Mr. Gunderson is also living. Mrs. Gunderson was the last surviving member of a family of ten. Two years ago Mr. and Mrs. Gunderson celebrated their Golden wedding anniversary at which all of their children and most of their grandchildren were present. THE BLAIR PRESS - JANUARY 13, 1938

Ole Gunderson was born in Aasnes, Solar, Norway, October, 1860. He came to America at the age of 19 years. After spending several years at the home of Gunder Engen and surrounding community, he went west and was employed at railroad work in different western states, returning in the fall of 1916. Since that time he again made his home with Gunder Engen. The last few years his health had not been robust and on December 30, 1927 he was taken to the Community Hospital for medical treatment. He passed away January 13, 1928, following a stroke. Mr. Gunderson is survived by four cousins, Gunder Engen and Lauria Engen of Whitehall, and Robert Engen and Mrs. Bjorge Brekke of Blair. Rev. E.B. Christopherson officiated in Norwegian and Rev. N.G. Maakestad in English. Special music was rendered by the male quartet, G.M. Thomley, N.G. Maakestad, Dr. A. Vold, L..Solsrud. Interment was made in the Lincoln cemetery. THE BLAIR PRESS - JANUARY 26, 1928

Another of the sturdy old settlers has passed away. Torger Gunderson of South Valley died Wednesday afternoon, April 30, after a long illness, the last two weeks suffering great pain. Saturday afternoon, he was buried in the South Valley cemetery, Rev. Aune conducting the services. The church was filled with neighbors and friends to pay their last respect and esteem to him and the surviving family. Mr. Gunderson was born in Gausdal, Norway, February 20, 1846. He was one of a large family in poor circumstances, and had to get out to work for others at an early age, and herded sheep and cattle and did other labor of that nature. In the year 1868 he was married to Miss Randi Simonson, and the young couple left their native land for better or for worse in the year 1869. They made their home at Coon Valley for some time, but in 1874, he came to South Valley and bought the homestead right of Mrs. Wood (later Mrs. Robert Crawford) and started farming with his two bare hands and lots of grit. It was hard work those days to make a living; the younger generation of today haven’t much of an idea what it meant. However, with the faithful help of his good wife and the children as they grew up, he made good in a comparatively short time and has for a long time been a leading citizen here financially and otherwise. Mr. Gunderson was one of the charter members of the South Valley congregation away back in the seventies and has been an active member ever since. He was a good Christian and took great interest in church affairs. As a man and neighbor he was one of the best, always honest and straight in all his dealings, and, being a man of some means was always willing and glad to give a man a lift, and there are many who can testify to that from actual experience. He has made two visits to his old country, otherwise, he has stuck close to his home. The last two or three years his health has been failing, but he was not bad until the last two weeks, and death came as relief. The family has consisted of twelve children of which four are dead. He leaves to mourn his death his aged wife, Randi, and eight children: Mrs. Sofia Lunde, Sam Gunderson and Mrs. Tina Lee of Osseo; Rev. Lauritz Gunderson of Hattinger, North Dakota; Tilmer, Martha, Minnie and Oluf at home; and eight grandchildren; one brother, Tobias Gunderson of Osseo; and two sisters, Mrs. Mary Sveen in Dakota and one in Norway. He was a good husband and father and will be sorely missed by the surviving family and the whole community. THE WHITEHALL TIMES-BANNER - MAY 15, 1919

Funeral services were held Monday afternoon at the Albert Tenneson home and at the Zion Lutheran Church for Gunder Gunderson, 78, who passed away at his home in this village, Thursday morning. The Rev. O. G. Birkeland officiated and burial was in the church cemetery. Mr. Gunderson was born January 2, 1867 in Norway and came to this country with his parents when he was a small boy. The family settled in Welch Coulee which remained his home until three years ago when he moved to Blair. He was married to Lena Arneson in 1904 who survives together with a sister, Mrs. Parker Renning of Blair; two half-brothers, Albert Gunderson of Melrose and John Gunderson of the state of Montana and one half-sister, Mrs. Oline Sennenberg of Minneapolis. There were no children. Pallbearers were E.B. Gunderson, Clarence, Spencer, Leonard and Melvin Gunderson of Blair and Milan Gunderson of Independence. THE BLAIR PRESS - FEBRUARY 8, 1945

Patronalle Heggenes Gunderson was born in Norway on February 25, 1862. She came to this country with her father and mother at age of six years, and they settled two miles west of Disco. She was married to Halvor Gunderson of Taylor. They moved on the old homestead three miles south of Disco, where they made their home until Mr. Gunderson’s death in 1919. Mrs. Gunderson spent the last five years of her life in Black River Falls. On November 4 she suffered a minor stroke. On November 11, the second one occurred from which she died Monday morning, December 3, 1945, at the age of 83 years, 8 months and 8 days. She leaves to mourn, three daughters, Mrs. B. Johnson of Blair; Mrs. Ludwig Rogness of Taylor; Mrs. Elmer Johnson of Mondovi; three sons, Gilbert Gunderson of Racine; Bennie Gunderson of Blair and Ernest Gunderson of Blair; 27 grandchildren and 14 great-grandchildren. One son, Albert, preceded her in death. Funeral services were held in the Ness Funeral home in Black River Falls on Thursday afternoon, with Rev. Luther S. Borgen of the Zion Lutheran church officiating. Burial was at Disco. THE BLAIR PRESS - DECEMBER 13, 1945

Halvor H. Gunem was born in Telemarken, Norway, May 4, 1855. He came to America at the age of 14 years and at 18 he came to Bruce Valley, where he continued to reside. He passed away without warning on December 2, 1936 at the age of 71 years, six months and 27 days. On the 4th of February 1880, Halvor Gunem was united in marriage to Miss Ragnild Olson. To this union eight children were born, three dying in infancy, and one son, Henry, dying in 1930. Those left to mourn his death are Annie, Mrs. Melvin Bergerson of Nantious, Colorado; Carl at home and Gilbert and Albert of Osseo, besides 22 grandchildren and one sister, Mrs. Loga. His wife preceded him in death on April 11, 1896. Funeral services were held from the home and at the Bruce Valley church December 5, where a host of friends and relatives gathered for the last rites. Two songs were sung by the Bruce Valley choir, “I Need Thee Every Hour” and “Normer Min Gud Til Dig.” Pallbearers were Albert Halvorson, Mike Hagen, Alfred Franson, Halvor T. Gunem, Tosten Lindem and Anton Lien. Two of his granddaughters, Marion and Gladys Gunem, carried flowers. He was laid to rest in the Bruce Valley cemetery, the Rev. N.E. Halvorsen officiating and L.D. Oftedahl in the charge of the funeral. THE WHITEHALL TIMES - DECEMBER 17, 1936

Halvor T. Gunem was born May 4, 1870 in Telemarken, Norway. He came to America with his parents at the age of 1 ½ years. The family settled in Tamarack, later moving to Bruce Valley, where he made his home until about 15 years ago, when he moved to Strum. He passed away December 22 at Luther hospital in Eau Claire at the age of 74 years, following a lingering illness. He leaves to mourn his death three sisters, Mary, Mrs. Tom Lomsdahl of Osseo; Oliana, Mrs. Anton Lien of Bruce Valley; and Inga, Mrs. Sever Johnson of Strum. Two sisters and three brothers preceded him in death. Ole and Inga died in infancy, while Theodore, Ole and Mrs. Alfred Franson died in later years. Pallbearers were his nephews, Jerome and Clifford Johnson, Lester Franson, Ole Lien, Thomas and Elmer Gunem. The funeral was held Tuesday in the Bruce Valley church, the Rev. N.E. Halvorsen officiating. Burial was in the church cemetery. THE WHITEHALL TIMES - DECEMBER 28, 1944

Miss Jonine Stratte was born March 21, 1842 at Solar, Norway. She was married to B.O. Guskjolen, October 13, 1866, and about two years later, they came to the United States, settling in Lakes Coulee, town of Preston, where they lived for 40 years and raised a large family. Twelve children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Guskjolen, as follows: Mrs. Emma Holmberg, Spokane, Washington; Mrs. Oline Rydberg, Mrs. Ida Johnson, Mrs. Anna Sterling, Minneapolis, Minnesota; Mrs. Lettie Skow, Milwaukee; Carlot B. Guskjolen, Pine City, Minnesota; Bernhardt Guskjolen, Madox, North Dakota; Mrs. Tena Larson, Whitehall, Mrs. Josephine Mason, Minneapolis, Minnesota; Ole and Benhardt died in infancy and Oscar at the age of 23 years. Mr. Guskjolen passed away six and one-half years ago. Since then she has made her home with her daughters, four years and six months with Mrs. Larson here at Whitehall and two years with Mrs. Skow in Milwaukee, where after about eight months of intense suffering from neuritis, she passed to the great beyond September 7, 1923. The remains were brought here, accompanied by Mrs. Skow and the funeral held from the home of Dr. and Mrs. L.H. Larson Monday at one o’clock and from the Lutheran church in Blair at two o’clock, services being conducted by Rev. Urberg, her pastor for 30 years, who paid a glowing tribute to the Christian character of the deceased. She had been a life long member of the Lutheran church and had much to do with the organization and upbuilding of the church at Blair. Deceased leaves four sisters, Mrs. Christine Gunderson of Minneapolis; Ida, Tina and Geoline in Norway. There were two brothers, both deceased, Carl and Christian Stratte. There are 18 grandchildren living and four deceased. It has been said that “death loves a shining mark” which was exemplified in her case. She lived a consistent Christian life and has simply gone to her reward. Those of the children present at the funeral were Mrs. Skow, Mrs. Larson, Mrs. Mason, Mrs. Johnson and Carlot. Others were prevented from coming by illness or other unavoidable causes. THE WHITEHALL TIMES-BANNER - SEPTEMBER 13, 1923

Mrs. Martha Gutsven, an aged pioneer of the Town of Ettrick passed away at her home Saturday, December 3, 1921 at the age of 74 years, 11 months and 28 days. Mrs. Gutsven was born in Faaberg, Norway, on the 6th of December 1845. She came to this county in the year 1871. On the 9th of December the same year, she was married to Ole Gutsven and to their union was born three children, all of whom are living. Funeral services were held at the Fagernes church on December 6, Rev. S.S. Urberg officiating. THE BLAIR PRESS - DECEMBER 15, 1921

Mrs. Ole Guttormson died at the old homestead in Tamarack valley where she had resided since 1868. Death occurred July 14, after a lingering illness, aged 84 years and 19 days. Her maiden name was Ingeborg Larson. She was born at Lillehammer, Faaberg, Norway, June 25, 1842. She spent her girlhood in her native land and in 1867 emigrated to America. In 1868 she was joined in marriage to Nels Jacobson and the same year they settled on land in the Tamarack valley. To this union four children were born: Julius Nelson of the town of Hale, Ludwig Nelson of Cuba, North Dakota; Clara, Mrs. C.P.Gilbertson and Julia, Mrs. O. G. Halverson, both of Tamarack valley. Her first husband died August 1, 1876. On April 11, 1881, she was joined in marriage to Ole Guttormson. Two children were born to them: Signe, Mrs. K.K. Strand and Emily, both resided with their mother on the old homestead in Tamarack valley. Besides her six children, she is survived by two brothers, Simon Larson of Independence and Ed Larson of Whitehall; and one sister, Mrs. O. Bomstead of Tacoma, Washington. Mrs. Guttormson’s death marks the passing of one of the early and highly respected settlers of that valley. THE WHITEHALL TIMES - JULY 22, 1926

Mrs Ane P. Guldmoen passed away at 9 a.m. Friday, August 29, 1947, at her home in the town of Frankin, at the age f 95 years, 2 months and 15 days. Ane Olson was born June 14th, 1822 in Ringebu, Norway, the daughter of the late Ole and Ambjor Olsen. She was baptized and confirmed in the Lutheran faith. In the year of 1872 she came to America and to Black River Falls. She was married the same year to Peder Peterson Guldmoen and resided in the town of Albion for four years. In 1876 they moved and settled on their homestead in the town of Franklin which has since been her home. To this union were born 12 children, seven of whom survive: Mrs. Carrie La Tour of Duluth, Minnesota; Pauline, Mrs. Hans E. Larson; Clara, Mrs. H.W. Popp and Albert E. Peterson, all of Black River Falls; Mrs. Ida Pischke of Royal Oak, Michigan; Theodore J. and Edwin J. Peterson, both of Melrose. She also leaves 39 grandchildren and 44 great-grandchildren. Her husband preceded her in death in 1919. She later sold the farm to her son Edwin, with whom she has made her home to the end. Mrs. Guldmoen was a member of the Lutheran church and the Ladies Aid, where she was a faithful worker as long as her health permitted. She was a devoted wife and mother, a good neighbor and friend, sincere and kind. She will be sadly missed by her family and friends. Funeral services were conducted by Rev. Hatlem of Taylor on Monday, September 1st at 1 o’clock at the home and 2 o’clock at the Beaver Creek Lutheran church, where interment was made in the church cemetery. Pallbearers were six grandsons, Clyde Peterson, Ammet and Maris Peterson, Glenn Peterson, Plinny Peterson, Addis Pischke. The flower girls were four granddaughters: Mrs. Adolph Erickson, Mrs. Gill Hinton, Mrs. Milo Deutscher and Mrs. Edward Heineck. SOURCE - FAMILY SCRAP BOOK

Funeral services were conducted at 2 p.m. Tuesday, December 15, 1964 at the Langlois-Galston funeral home for Albert Gunderson, a resident of Black River Falls. He passed away at the community hospital December 12, 1964. Services were conducted by Pastor Chauncy Yost and Pastor Paul Elliott. The pallbearers were Kenneth Arneson, Elmer Erickson, Bertron Barton, Alvin Arneson, Clinton Renning and Oscar Ramsey. Albert Gunderson was born April 15, 1885 in Blair, the son of Mr. and Mrs. Gunder Gunderson. He was united in marriage to Tillie Arneson February 6, 1907. He worked as a salesman in a meat plant in Minneapolis for 16 years. He moved to his wife’s parents farm at Melrose in 1919, where he farmed until 1946. Then he moved to Black River Falls and worked for the Nelson Construction Co. for six years until retirement. He was well liked by all who knew him but the friendship he cherished above all was that of his Lord and Saviour, whom he learned to now as his personal Saviour 25 years before his death. He was preceded in death by three brothers, three sisters and one son. He is survived by his widow, Tillie, one son, Clifford of Melrose and three grandchildren. SOURCE - FAMILY SCRAPBOOK

Ludwig O. Goplin. Among the farmers of Gale Township who are recognized as successful men in their branch of industry is the subject of this sketch, whose farm of 200 acres is situated in sections 3, 14, 23 and 24, town 23 north, range 7 west. Here Mr. Goplin was born January 27, 183, son of Olaus E. and Mathia (Benrud) Goplin, the homestead having been in the family since the time of the grandfather, who settled on it in 1869. Olaus E. Goplin, who was born in Norway in 1861, purchased 80 acres of the farm and lived on it many years, dying in December 1901. He added to his land until the farm comprised 220 acres. His wife, also a native of Norway, survived him about a year and four moths, passing away in April 1903. Ludwig O. Goplin worked on the old home farm for his parents from his boyhood until his father’s death, and afterwards for his mother until she, too, died. He then rented the farm from the heirs for five years, buying it in April 1915. Here he is carrying on general farming and dairying, keeping graded Durham and Holstein cattle, of which he has 35 head, milking 20. The residence on the farm is a good two-story and basement frame house of 10 rooms. A man of progressive nature, in 1902 Mr. Goplin built a round barn, 64 feet in diameter and 25 feet to the eaves, and in 1915 he erected a stave silo, 14 by 34 feet. He is a stockholder in the Pigeon Grain and Stock Company and also in the Whitehall Hospital. Since 1913 he has served as treasurer of the school board. His religious affiliations are with the United Norwegian Lutheran church, of Pigeon Falls, of which he is a member, and of which his father was secretary from the time of its organization until his death. December 10, 1910, Mr. Goplin was united in marriage with Ruth Mortenson of Whitehall, Wisconsin, who was born in Pigeon Township, this county, September 15, 1887. Her father, Hans H. Mortenson, who was born near Hammerfest, Norway, September 14, 1836 is now residing in Whitehall. Her mother was born in Norway, January 11, 1847, and is now living in Whitehall. Mr. and Mrs. Goplin have two children: Margaret Alverne, born October 15, 1911, and Obert Harvey, born October 27, 1913. HISTORY OF TREMPEALEAU COUNTY - 1917

William D. Grant of Gale Township was born at Decorah Prairie, Gale Township, April 4, 1876, son of Robert and Jane (Dick) Grant. He was educated in the Grant school on Decorah Prairie, and resided at home until his marriage in February 1902 to Matilda Larson. She was born at Hardie’s Creek Valley, Gale Township, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Mat Larson, her parents being native of Norway, who were early settlers in Trempealeau County, Mr. Larson being a farmer. He died about 1902; his wife, Mrs. Grant’s mother, is still living and resides at Hardie’s Creek, of which place she is a well known and respected resident Her husband also was well known and esteemed for his industry and good neighborly qualities. At the time of his marriage Mr. Grant rented the farm on which he now lives, which contains 238 acres and which is a part of the old Grant estate and which he now owns. He carries on general farming and is doing a successful business. Mr. and Mrs. Grant have two children: William Guy, born November 9, 1908 and Gladys Marie, born in 1910. HISTORY OF TREMPEALEAU COUNTY - 1917

George Gjuul has lived in this county as manager of the Midland Lumber & Coal Company at Osseo since January 4, 1912. In advocating better farm buildings he has assisted in the development of the surrounding rural region, while his work for the progress of Osseo has included his efforts toward the organization of the Farmers Exchange Bank, of which he is now one of the directors. His fraternal affiliations are with the A.F. & A. M. Mr. Gjuul was born in Mankato, Minnesota, May 13, 1874 the youngest in a family of three children. As a youth he worked with his father. At the age of twenty-four he secured employment in a hardware store at Erskine, Minnesota. A year and a half later he took up his present line of work as manager for the Stenerson Brothers Lumber Yard at Menton, Minnesota. Six year later he became manager for the Lamper Lumber Company at Ruthton, Minnesota. Subsequently he occupied a similar position for the H.W. Ross Lumber Company at Hancock, Minnesota, for the Glattley Lumber Company at Hot Springs, South Dakota, and for the John J. Queal Lumber Company at Leeds, Sioux City, Iowa. With this experience he came to Osseo. Mr. Gjuul was married April 25, 1906 to Elva Williams of Amboy, Minnesota, daughter of Cyrus and Mary Nixon, the former of whom died in 1914 at the age of 72 and the latter of whom died in 1916 at the age of 70. Torris F. Gjuul, father of the subject of this sketch, was born at Trondjem, Norway, came to America, and after living at Stevens Point, Wisconsin a year, located in Mankato, where he became a successful contractor and builder. In later years carried on farming at Mankato, Minnesota and died February 25, 1906. He married Randi Dahl, who lives in Texarkana, Texas, with her son, Frank. HISTORY OF TREMPEALEAU COUNTY - 1917

Ole Granrud, a pioneer of Trempealeau County in 1868, was a native of Norway, where he married Karen Anderson. In 1866 he came with his wife and family to the United States, locating first in Filmore County, Minnesota, whence he soon came to Trempealeau County, taking a homestead of 120 acres in section 4, Hale Township, he being the first settler in the South Branch District. He and his family began life here in true pioneer style, living the first summer in a dug out with lumber roof, the lumber for which was obtained at Hamburg. In the fall Mr. Granrud built a larger dugout with lumber, hay and sod roof, in which he and his family resided in 1874, when his circumstances having improved, he built a fine house. In 1893 he sold the farm and for the next three years he and his wife resided with their daughter, Mrs. Jacob Pederson. At the end of that time he bought a farm in Sumner Township, onto which he moved, and which he operated for about seven years. He then returned to his daughter’s home where he died in 1900. His wife survived him but a short time, dying in 1902. Their children were: Elle, now deceased; Andrew, deceased; Anne, wife of Jacob Pederson, and Ole, now living in Tacoma, Washington. HISTORY OF TREMPEALEAU COUNTY - 1917

Olaf C. Gullord, contractor and builder of Osseo, was born on a farm four miles south of the village September 4, 1881, son of Christ and Paulina Gullord. Christ Gullord, a mason by trade, was born in Norway, came to America in June 1880, bought a farm in Sumner Township, this county, farmed here until 1911, and then went to Billings, Montana, where he died in 1914, his wife dying in 1905. Olaf C. Gullord started to learn the trade of mason from his father at the age of 14 years, and after following this trade for a number of years, gradually worked into his present business. He has been successful in his undertakings, and is regarded as a substantial and well-to-do man. He is a holder of business property in the village, having in 1915 erected a garage, 50 by 60 feet, of solid concrete, with two stories and a basement, fully equipped in every way This garage he now operates in connection with the sale of Overland automobiles. Mr. Gullord was married April 14, 1905 to Emma Stensby, daughter of Berndt Stensby, who was born in Norway, and has farm in Hale Township since 1886. Mr. and Mrs. Gullord have two children, Franzel and Lester. HISTORY OF TREMPEALEAU COUNTY - 1917

August E. Goplin came to Trempealeau County as a boy, and has resided on his present farm located in sections 16 and 17, township 23, range 7 (Hale), since 1889. It now contains 440 acres of good, fertile land and is one of the best in the vicinity, his buildings being his especial pride. The pleasant home was built in 1897. It is a frame structure, two stories high, with twelve rooms and a full basement, supplied with running water, hot water heat, acetylene lights and other conveniences. The barn was built in 1916. It is 48 by 80 by 14 feet, with a stone basement, and an addition of 22 by 36 by 12 for horses. The floors are of cement, the stalls are equipped with steel stalls and stanchions, the interior is lighted with acetylene, and there are pens for the young calves and a special hospital pen. Among the other buildings may be mentioned a barn for young stock, 25 by 66 by 20 feet. Mr. Goplin carries on general farming and makes a specialty of raising Durham cattle, at which he has been very successful. While busy with his farm duties, Mr. Goplin has found time to take an interest in public affairs, and has done excellent service on the school board for two years. He was married December 15, 1888 to Beatha Steig, who was born December 24, 1868, in section 23, range 7, township 23 (Hale), daughter of Christian and Ingeborg (Anderson) Steig, and this union has been blessed with six children: Edward, Inga, Emma, Charles, Mildred and Ernest. Edward was born January 6, 1890 and was married September 2, 1916 to Ella Eid, daughter of Gilbert Eid of Pigeon Township. He works with his father on the farm. Inga was born March 23, 1892 and is a stenographer. Emma was born June 21, 1895; Charles, November 19, 1898; Mildred, December 3, 1904 and Ernest, May 23, 1907. All are living at home. Mr. Goplin is a native of Norway, where he was born August 1, 1857, son of Eric O. and Eli (Roen) Goplin. The father, Eric O., was born in Norway, August 14, 1805, came to America in 1867, lived in Rock County a while and in 1869 came to Trempealeau County and took a homestead in section 14, range 7, township 23 (Hale), where he labored until his death in 1883. The mother was born in Norway, September 30, 1827, came to America with her husband and died May 14, 1914. The family are members of the Norwegian Lutheran Church of America. SOURCE - HISTORY OF TREMPEALEAU COUNTY - 1917

Samuel Gunderson, proprietor of the Pleasant Hill Farm, section 22, Sumner Township, is a native of this county, has spent his life on his present farm, and has served his township as clerk since 1910 and his school district as clerk and director. He was born September 12, 1875, was reared to agricultural pursuits, attended the district school and in 1900 rented the home farm, which he bought in 1906. In carrying on general agricultural operations he has been very successful. By his wife, Hannah Amundson, whom he married May 2, 1906, he has five children: Helen, born March 27, 1907, died August 12, 1917; Thomas, born December 3, 1908; Ruth, born May 30, 1912; Sigvald, born November 29, 1915; and Helen Almira, born July 15, 1917. Mrs. Gunderson was born in Sumner Township August 31, 1875, daughter of Halvor and Ragnild (Hougen) Amundson, who came to America in 1869, located in Dane County, Wisconsin, and three years later settled in Sumner Townshi, this county, the father, who was born in 1830, dying in 1907 and the mother, who was born in 1835, dying in 1913. SOURCE - HISTORY OF TREMPEALEAU COUNTY - 1917

Torger Gunderson came to Trempealeau County in 1874, and located on a farm of 160 acres in section 22, Sumner Township, which he operated until 1900, when he rented it to his son Samuel, the fourth of his 12 children (who purchased it in 1906), and retired to a farm of 120 acres in section 28, in the same township, where he now lives. He was born in Norway, February 20, 1846, came to America in 1869, and lived in Vernon County, this state, five years before coming to this county. His wife, Randi Simenson, was born in Norway, December 12, 1846. SOURCE - HISTORY OF TREMPEALEAU COUNTY - 1917

Martin Gunderson, Jr. who owns and operates the old Gunderson farm in Hale Township, was born April 1, 1882, son of Martin, Sr., and Olea (Olson) Gunderson. The father was born in Solar, Norway, in 1834, and came to the United States in 1862, settling in Blair, Trempealeau County, Wisconsin, where he remained two years. In 1864 he homesteaded a farm in section 6, range 8 west, township 22 north, Hale Township, and devoted the rest of his active period to its cultivation, his death taking place in October 1881. His wife, Olea, who was born in Solar, Norway in 1842, after her husband’s death contracted a second marriage with Brede Ramstad of section 1, Chimney Rock Township. She died January 8, 1906, her second husband surviving her and being still a resident of his farm in Chimney Rock. Martin Gunderson, Sr., was an industrious, capable man and during his career as an agriculturist in Hale Township did much to improve his farm. He is still remembered by the older residents of the township, among whom he had many friends. Martin Gunderson, Jr., who was the youngest of eight children, acquired a good knowledge of agriculture and on the death of his mother purchased the old homestead which he has since carried on with profitable results, doing general farming. His two-story frame residence, having seven rooms and basement, was erected in 1910 and is a neat and substantial dwelling. In 1915 he built a frame barn, with basement of cement blocks, 36 by 70 by 16 feet above basement, the latter having cement floors. It is equipped with steel stanchions and other necessary or useful appliances, furnishing ample accommodations for his stock. December 25, 1908, Martin Gunderson, Jr., was united in marriage with Amelia Anderson, who was born in Whitehall, Wisconsin, February 20, 1872, being the eldest of the twelve children of Gilbert and Mary (Matson) Anderson. Her father, who was born in Norway in 1849, came to this country in 1860 and engaged in farming in Rosko’s Coulee, Hale Township. He died March 8, 1911. Her mother, born in Solar, Norway, January 19, 1854, is now a resident of Eleva, this county. Mr. and Mrs. Gunderson have no children of their own, but are rearing a son of Mrs. Gunderson’s brother, Otto, Roy Anderson, who was born November 20, 1903. SOURCE – HISTORY OF TREMPEALEAU COUNTY – 1917

Back to Home Page