Wisconsin Scandinavian Obituaries Sp-Ste

Wisconsin Scandinavian
Obituaries Sp-Ste

Norway Flag     Denmark Flag     Sweden Flag

Spanberg John
Spangrud Kari Mrs.
Staff Sophie Mrs.
Staff Severt Mrs.
Staff Jens J.
Stalheim Nels N.
Stalheim Nels Mrs.
Stamates Gust Mrs.
Stav Jens
Steen H.A.
Steen H.A.M. Mrs.
Steen Peter
Steffenson Christian
Steien Soren Olsen
Steig Frederick C.
Steig Frederick C. 2
Steig Gilbert F.
Steig Gilbert F. 2
Steig Gilbert F. Mrs.
Steig Ingeborg
Steig Nettie
Stenberg Martin Mrs.
Stenberg Mina Mrs.
Stenberg Peter
Stendal Agnetta
Stendal Ole
Stendahl Ole T. 2
Stenhaugen Gust
Stenhaugen Karen Mrs.
Stensby Bernt J.
Stenslie Christian Christianson
Stensven Marie Mrs.
Stevens Agnet
Steving Ole G.

John Spanberg (TANGE, HEDMARK)
Jon Spanberg passed away at his home in Strum, June 7, aged 82 years, 5 months and 8 days. He was born December 30, 1842 in Stange, Hedemarken, Norway. He was married to Georgine Christianson in the year 1867. In the year 1875 he came to America together with his wife and three children and settled in Bruce Valley. The following year he took up a homestead in Chimney Rock. To this union were born ten children, one, Thomas, preceding him in death. The following are left to mourn his death: Mrs. Nels Jacobson, Christ, Emil, Mrs. Ingvad Lee, Mrs. Carl Jacobson, Mrs. Julius Gunderson, Mrs. Otto Bergerson, Mrs. Robert Durline and George, all being present at the funeral except George of Grand Forks, North Dakota. He is also survived by 46 grandchildren and 15 great-grandchildren. Mrs. Spanberg died in the year 1897, and in the year 1899, Mr. Spanberg was united in marriage to Mrs. Jacob Jacobson, who survives him. In the spring of 1918, Mr. and Mrs. Spanberg moved to Strum where he resided until the time of his death. Funeral services were held from the Chimney Rock church June 10, under the shadows of its walls, he was laid to rest by the side of the remains of his first wife and son. He was among those who helped to build the first church in the valley and was always an earnest worker for the advancement of religion. He will be greatly missed in the home and in the community where he lived for nearly 50 years. Rev. Wickman of Strum and Rev. Hjemboe of Eleva administered words of hope and consolation to the numerous relatives and friends who followed him to his grave. THE WHITEHALL TIMES - JUNE 25, 1925

Kari Larson was born in Norway July 25, 1853. Here she was baptized and confirmed. At the age of 17, she and her widowed mother came to America and settled in Dane County, Wisconsin. It was here, four years later, she met and married Knut Spangrud. In 1876 they decided to move to Whitehall. Taking their little son, Henry, and Mrs. Spangrud’s mother, they drove with a yoke of oxen and made the journey in ten days. They came past the Trempealeau Valley church and stopped there to rest - which now has become the final resting place for both. They lived on their farm near Whitehall until l913 when they moved to Curran Valley and farmed there until l1920. Renting this farm, they decided to retire and built their house in the village of Taylor where they lived until 1928 when Mr Sprangrud passed away. Mrs. Spangrud continued to live in this house as long as her health permitted but the last two years were spent with her daughters, Mrs. Albert Moe at Whitehall and Mrs. Thom Wold at Mahnomen, Minnesota. She passed away here March 19, 1935 having contracted and a cold and developing into pneumonia. She was brought here for burial. She was 81 years, 7 months and 23 days at the time of death. The children surviving are: Mrs. Millie Wold, Mahnomen, Minnesota; Mrs. Louise Wold, Ross, North Dakota; Mrs. Lillian Moe, Whitehall; Mrs. Emma Larson, Taylor and Clarence Spangrud of Taylor One daughter, Mrs. Clara Johnson passed away three years ago. She is also survived by one sister at Benedict, North Dakota. THE BLAIR PRESS - MARCH 28, 1935

Death came peacefully and quietly to Mrs. Sophie Staff on July 30, 1946, after a lingering illness of six months. Mrs. Staff was born in Faaberg, Gulbrandsdalen, Norway, July 7, 1862, of the parents Nils and Ingeborg Koxlien. In 1867 the Koxlien family immigrated to America, coming by sailing vessel and spending seven weeks on the ocean. They lived one year in Curran Valley, then settled in Big Slough Jackson County, homesteading the farm now occupied by Mrs. Olave Koxlien and son, Gerald. Here Sophia grew to womanhood. In 1877 she was confirmed in the Lutheran faith by the Rev. Staale Benson. On November 29, 1888, she was united in marriage to Andrew A. Staff, the ceremony being performed by Peder Ekern, justice of the peace. The first five years of their married life were spent in Minneapolis, where Mr. Staff worked in the sawmills. In 1893 the Staffs purchased the farm in Shimmerhorn now occupied by Clarence Jacobson. Here they lived until Mr. Staff passed away on October 30, 1897. The following year and a half Mrs. Staff spent at the home of her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Mils Koxlien. In 1899 she rented her farm to Mr. and Mrs. Edward Jacobson, with whom she made her home for many years, later selling the farm to them. In the summer of 1916, she built a home at Pigeon Falls where she resided until her death. In May 1944, due to failing health, she sold her house to Mrs. Nora Johnson and Clara Eid, nieces, who cared for her until she was taken to her eternal rest, having reached the age of 84 years and 23 days. Mrs. Oline Staff and Mrs. Gina Moen also assisted during her last illness. Mrs. Staff was a faithful member of the U.L church and died trusting in her Saviour. She was preceded in death, besides her husband, by her parents, a brother Ole who died on the ocean; two sister, Gina, who died in infancy, and Karen, Mrs. Gilbert Eid; and two brothers, Oluf and Peter Koxlien. She is survived by three sisters, Gina, Mrs. H.O. Moen, Mrs. Oline Staff and Ida, Mrs. Edward Jacobson; two sisters-in-law, Mrs. Olave Koxlien and Mrs. Tena Koxlien; and a large number of nieces, nephews and other relatives. Blessed be her memory. Funeral services were conducted at the home and at the U.L. church August 2 by Rev. C.K. Malmin, undertaker Frederixon from Blair being in charge. At the church songs were contributed by Rev. Malmin in the English and Gaylod Jacobson who sang “I Himmelen.” Pallbearers were six nephews, Albert and Orvil Eid, Joseph Staff, Selmer Koxlien, Harold Jacobson and Gerald Koxlien. Flowers were carried by Louise Kaas, Alice Jacobson, Harriet Eid and Mrs. Everett Solberg. Interment was in the U. L. cemetery. THE WHITEHALL TIMES - AUUST 8, 1946

Mrs. Severt Staff, 74, died of pneumonia February 23 at 12:30 p.m. at her home in Big Slough, Town of Curran, Jackson County, five miles southeast of Pigeon Falls. She had been ailing the past year. As Maria Bakken she was born December 30, 1871 to Martha and Elland Bakken in Ringbu, Gulbrandsdalen, Norway, being their 11th child. In 1893 she was united in marriage to Ole Ellefson. Two children were born to this union Ella, Mrs. George Molstad, and Minda, Mrs. M.F. Culbert. After the death of her first husband, she came to this country with her two children, a brother Matt and her father arriving on November 19, 1905 at Melrose and settling there. On June 3, 1920 she married Severt Staff at the United Lutheran parsonage in Pigeon Falls. The late Rev. A. J. Oerke performed the ceremony. Since their marriage they have lived on a farm in Big Slough. Surviving relatives besides her husband are her two daughters, Mrs. Molstad of Sioux City, Iowa and Mrs. Culbert of Santa Ana, California; five brothers, Ole Bakken of Riensvad Toten, Norway, Torger, Even, Olaf and Mathias Anderson, all of Melrose; four step-daughters, Hazel, Mrs. Alvin Thompson of Northfield; Stella, Mrs. Alvin Grumlien of Hixton; Cora staff at home and Anna, Mrs. Norman Hallingstad of Fitch Coulee; five grandchildren; six great-grandchildren; 15 step-grandchildren and one step-great-grandchild. Preceding her in death were Anton Anderson of Melrose, Berte, Mrs. Emert Johnson of Black River Falls; Anne, Mrs. Louie Bakken of Rockland; Toline and Ottine Bakken of Ringbu Gulbrandsdalen, Norway. Funeral services were held Tuesday afternoon at the Sletteland funeral parlors in Pigeon Falls and at the U.L church with Rev. C.K. Malmin officiating. Burial was in the church cemetery. At the funeral parlors, Rev. Malmin sang “I Know of a Sleep In Jesus’ Name.” At the church Mrs. E.A. Sletteland sang, “My Jesus As Thou Wilt” and the audience sang two hymns, “Abide With Me” and “Oh, Happy Day When We Shall Among the Heavenly Throng.” Mrs. Malmin contributed De Store Hvide Flok” as a solo. Pallbearers were her brothers, Torger, Even, Olaf and Mathias Anderson and two nephews, Emil Johnson of Black River Falls and Ole Bakke of Melrose. The flowers were carried by Verna Mae Berge of Big Slough, Eleanor Anderson of Melrose and Mmes Theodore ad Emil Johnson, Black River Falls. THE WHITEHALL TIMES - FEBRUARY 28, 1946

Jens J. Staff, who died Friday evening, June 28, at the Community Hospital at Whitehall following a brief illness from a heart ailment was born in Sondfjord, Norway, March 14 1870, son of Jens J. and Louise (Berge) Staff. When he was but two years of age, the family came to America and lived in Big Slough until they settled on the present Staff farm in Tuff coulee. Mr. Staff’s first venture at outside employment was in the winter of 1890-91 when he worked in northern lumber camp. He returned in the spring of 1891 and began to clerk in the P. Ekern Co. store, a position he held for 6 ½ years. He was married May 25, 1898 to Lena Koxlien. In 1900 he purchased the home farm from his parents and continued to reside there until March 1930, when he retired to Pigeon Falls, leaving the farm operations to his son, Joseph Mr. Staff has been active in public affairs and in the promotion of numerous worthy enterprises. He served as supervisor on the Town of Pigeon board for four years, served many terms as assessor following his election in 1912 and several years held the position of school clerk in the Sunshine district. His numerous interests occupied a great deal of his time following his retirement from active farm operations and he thoroughly enjoyed his ten years of quiet living. The cessation of his daily visits downtown and his congenial chats leave large gap in the routine life of Pigeon Falls. He is survived by his wife and the following children: Mrs. Albin (Laura) Nelson of Curran Valley near Taylor; Joseph on the home farm; Mrs. Leonard (Ida) Killian of LaCrosse; Mrs. Curtis A. (Norma) Kaas of Pigeon Falls; Mrs. Oscar O. (Olga) Lovlien of Black River Falls; and Earl of Pigeon Falls. A son, Carl, died in infancy. He is also survived by a brother, Sever Staff, of Big Slough and ten grandchildren, a grandson having been born to Mr. and Mrs. Lovlien July 5, a week following Mr. Staff’s death. The funeral was held Monday at the home and at the United Lutheran church and was one of the largest services of this kind conducted here for several years. The Rev. C.K. Malmin officiated and sermonettes were given by the Rev. A.J Oerke in Norwegian and by the Rev. E.B. Christophersen. Mrs. E.A. Sletteland sang “Heaven Is My Home,” and a trio composed of Mrs. John F. Johnson, Mrs. John Skadahl and Miss Clara Eid sang “En Liden Stund” in Norwegian. Mrs. A.J. Solboe was the accompanist. Pallbearers were John A. Berge, Jens K. Berge, M. C. Sletteland, O.B. Sletteland, John F. Johnson and Andrew Lovlien. Mrs. Clifford Berge and Mrs. Raymond Hagen arranged the flowers. Memorial wreaths amounting to $154 were given in honor of Mr. Staff, of which a substantial sum was delegated to the improvement fund of the United Lutheran church. THE WHITEHALL TIMES - JULY 11, 1940

Nels N. Stalheim, who died at his home in Pigeon June 12th of heart failure after a brief illness, was born at Voss, Bergenstift, Norway, December 4, 1841. He came to America in 1867 locating in Beaver Creek valley, Town of Ettrick, this county, where he spent a few years. In 1873 he settled in the Town of Pigeon where he lived until death, being considered one of the best and most well to do citizens and farms of that township. Mr. Stalheim was twice married and leaves surviving him a wife, son Nelson of Stanley and daughter, Mrs. Albert Halverson of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, children of his first marriage; and Mrs. John Berge of Scheclerville and Arthur, Thomas, Sigvald, Karl, Albert, Ernest and Alma of Pigeon, children of his second marriage. Deceased was sick with pneumonia last winter but recovered and was able to attend to his farm duties as late as two days immediately preceding his death. He was about the house Friday and was taken ill Saturday, passing away at 10:30 pm. The funeral was held at Pigeon Falls on the 15th inst., the services being conducted by Rev. A. J Orke. Mr. Stalheim as a genial man and his familiar presence will be missed by his many friends in the township where he had so longer resided THE WHITEHALL TIMES AND BLAIR BANNER - JUNE 24, 1909

Mrs. Nels Stalheim, nee Sevirine Twesme, was born in Hardanger, Norway, September 16, 1861. The first seven years of her life were spent in her native land. At the age of seven years, she set sail for America with her parents. The voyage to the new world, where they had dreams of establishing a new home and to live in happiness, held sadness and despair in store for the daughter and her mother. While at sea her father was taken sick and died. The mother and daughter arrived safely in America and came to Beaver Creek valley in the Town of Ettrick where they resided. The deceased spent her girlhood days in that vicinity and in 1886 was united in marriage to Nels Stalheim. They settled on a farm in the Town of Pigeon. Eight children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Stalheim: Margaret, Arthur, Thomas, Sigvald, Carl, Albert, Ernest and Alma, all of whom survive their mother. Mr. Stalheim died 1909 and the deceased was left to care for her family of children. At that time the children were young and most of them too young to help on the farm. But she continued to reside on the farm and through her great industry and perserverance, she made a success of the undertaking and reared her family among the ordinary comforts of life. In 1919 Mrs. Stalheim moved from the farm into the village of Pigeon Falls where she enjoyed a less strenuous life and spent her few remaining years among her children and many friends. Mrs. Stalheim was taken sick on Wednesday, February 23, and died on Sunday, February 27. Funeral services were held at Pigeon Falls last week Wednesday and burial took place in the church cemetery. Rev. Oerke delivered the funeral sermon and Undertaker Sletteland was in charge of arrangements. Mrs. Stalheim was a member of the United Lutheran church since childhood and throughout her life was an active and conscientious worker in that faith. She was a true Christian woman and devoted her life to her children, her church and her friends. The community mourns her death along with her children. THE WHITEHALL TIMES - MARCH 10, 1927


He felt the touch of an angel’s wing. A cherub’s kiss and breath.
He heard a choir of seraphs sing. And knew not it was death.
They found him silent on his bed. God’s peace was in his face.
They whispered softly, “Is he dead?” Of pain there was no trace.
Thus quietly and serenely, as a star glides behind the horizon, passed this veteran of toil and years into the realms of rest. We who have known and loved him for a half a century or more miss him as we miss a flower which during its appointed season has shed its fragrance and radiance into our lives. Miss him as we miss a beautiful song, which words and melody have sunk into silence in the caves of Echo. There will always be the inevitable regret when a friend passes beyond our reach, but there ought to be no sorrow. And especially where the departed so far as we can judge, has lived in accord with the laws of God and man. Our friend reached the far boundary of human life in such a natural and orderly course that his life may be likened to a stream which has its course in a spring at the foot of a mountain and from there meanders through pleasant groves and plains until it is swallowed up in some boundless sea. The foregoing paragraphs may carry the idea that Mr. Stav’s life was one of undisturbed tranquility. This would be scarcely true of any human life, even of moderate length. The only worthwhile tranquility of life is that which survives the storms of adversity, the tranquility which we observe in the dome of the sky after the most terrific elemental disturbances of the lower air. A brief sketch of this man’s life will convince us that he had his portion of the common afflictions of man He was born in Dale, Sondfjord, Norway, February 5, 1838. He married Louisa Berge in 1865 and came direct to the Pigeon Valley in 1872. His first home was on Big Slough in Jackson County, which he bought from Gunder Fredrickson in 1874. In 1883, he bought a farm in Tuff coulee about two miles west of his former home. This brought him into Trempealeau County. In 1890 he sold the last mentioned farm to his son, Jens Staff, but retained a home there until his death. His wife died June 13, 1913. There were ten children born to Mr. and Mrs. Stav, three of whom died in infancy before they left Norway. Five died after they came to Pigeon, ranging in age from infants to thirteen years. Three died inside of a week from diphtheria. In addition to their own children, they reared a son of a brother-in-law, Andrew Stav, unless he reached manhood He married Sophia Koxlien and shortly afterwards died. In the meantime came Dorthea, the sister of Andrew Stav. She married Folkedahl, who for some years had a jewelry shop in Whitehall. After giving birth to two children, she died, and for several years, Jens and his wife had care of these children. During all these years, be it remembered that Jens and his wife were constantly working to build up their home out of a practical wilderness and living on the meager proceeds of their toil. From day to day, they traded their energies for food and shelter like most of their neighbors. And tell me, wise of earth, if there is a better life than that beneath the stars. At any rate, Mr. Stav, during the 62 years I have known him, was one of the most cheerful men I have ever known. For several years we were neighbors. Often for days we worked side by side. And since I moved from Pigeon to Whitehall, we have met frequently. Oh, yes, I have seen him in the shadows of griefs and perplexities. Sometimes I have seen involuntary tears trickle down over his furrowed face. But almost invariably there was a smile that shone like a nimbus through the shadows. Since his wife’s death in 1913, he has made his home with his son, Jens, until the last few years. After his son moved to Pigeon Falls, he still elected to live on his son’s farm with one of his grandsons. During these years his life has been very peasant. He had no special cares nor responsibilities. No need to labor, but as a matter of fact, he was nearly always busy up to a year or two ago when his legs refused to support him except for short strolls about the home. Up to that time he used to love to walk to places wherever people gathered. He was a very constant attendant at all church doings. I have rarely been to any public meetings at Pigeon Falls or anywhere else in the neighborhood without seeing the slender erect figure of Jens Stav, - quiet, smiling and cheerful. On the third of February, he ate his dinner as usual with his grandson and his family. And after the dinner he took his customary nap. Between three and four o’clock the same day he had his mid-afternoon coffee. After this he sat by the stove and smoked his pipe. Putting his pie away, he aid, “I believe I will go and lie down again.” So he went to his room adjoining the dining room. A few minutes before six, they went to his room to tell him supper was ready. But to their call there was no answer. He had gone to sup with the God if his faith. A remarkable life! Ninety-six years, lacking two days, of practically constant health. Once he had rheumatism for a short time, and at another time he had flu. Both such popular diseases that good doctors don’t pretend to cure them, just help limit their effects. On February 7th his funeral as held in the lower church at Pigeon Falls, the Reverends A.J. and HA. Oerke officiating. The church was filed with friends and neighbors who came to say farewell to the community’s patriarch. Mr. Stav leaves two sons, Jens Staff and Sever Staff and 11 grandchildren and 8 great-grandchildren. He also leaves one sister, Mrs. Christiana Thompson, lives about a mile east of Pigeon Falls. A true friend a kind, helpful neighbor, a man who walked with his God and has gone to his chambers of rest with honors that man can neither confer or take away. (Stav and Staff mean the same thing - a cane. The sons prefer the latter form for their name.) Written by HA. Anderson, February 18, 1934 THE WHITEHALL TIMES - MARCH 1, 1934

Several months of ill health terminated in the death of H.A. M. Steen, pioneer Northfield merchant, June 15. Funeral services were held Wednesday at his home and in the church in that village. Burial took place in the church cemetery. Mr. Steen was among the immigrants from Norway in the early eighties and he was among those who helped to develop this country after the pioneers had entered and partially converted it from its primitive stage into a habitable area. From the experiences of his early life in Norway, like most citizens of his time, learned that progress is made through industry, good habits and the application of integrity in all business dealings. These ideals were maintained by Mr. Steen throughout his lifetime and through them he not only won the respect of all those who knew him but he held that public esteem throughout his span of years. Mr. Steen was born in Sondre Land, Norway, November 13, 1859. In his native land he received his education and was graduated from what was known as “Middelskole” or College in 1880. Being a young man of ambition and with a desire to make his way in the world, he decided that the United States offered greater opportunities than did Norway and on April 27, 1882, he departed for the land of promise and arrived at Pigeon Falls, this county, May 25. Mr. Steen immediately secured employment in the Peter Ekern store at Pigeon Falls where he continued to work until January 1, 1889 when he resigned his position to accept employment with the Mons Anderson Co.of LaCrosse as a traveling salesman, with headquarters at Aberdeen, South Dakota. He continued in the services of Mr. Anderson for a year and a half, part of which time he spent at LaCrosse. He preferred, however, to be more permanently established and he again returned to the Pigeon Valley accepted the management of a store at Northfield which was owned by Peter Ekern. This was in the fall of 1893. Four years later Mr. Steen, J.B. Halverson and Julia Ekern purchased the stock and store building from Mr. Ekern and operated under the firm name of Steen, Halverson & Co. In October 1905, Mr. Steen purchased the interest of his partners and incorporated under the name of Steen Mercantile Co., his son Olger becoming a member of the firm. Mr. Steen continued in business at Northfield until January 1, 1919, when he sold his store and stock of merchandise to his son, Olger, and his brother, Ole, who still continue business under the same firm name. Mr. Steen was united in marriage to Anna Fremstad of Pigeon Falls May 10,1884. The ceremony was performed by the late Rev. Emmanuel Christophersen. To this union nine children were born. Two sons, Carl and Anton, died in infancy, a son Paul died at the age of 2 ½ years and Amanda, a daughter, died at the age of 19 years. He is survived by his widow and five children, Olger and Judith, Northfield; Mrs. Cora Arneson, Whitehall; Arthur, Fargo, North Dakota; and Mrs. Laura Ekern, Pipestone, Minnesota. There are six surviving grandchildren, Paul Steen of Northfield; Harriet, Lorine and Betty Ann Ekern of Pipestone, Minnesota; and Harold and Valborg Arneson of Whitehall. Two brothers and two sisters who reside in Norway, one sister Mrs. Ole Haraldsrud of Lincoln and a brother, Ole of Northfield also survive. Blessed with Christian parents, early in life he developed a keen interest in church affairs and he was a charter member of the Northfield congregation, to which he gave freely of his time and means for the up-building of the congregation and God’s kingdom. He was active in business affairs and in 1911, helped to organize the bank at Hixton and served as its president from 1913 to 1929. In 1893, he was appointed postmaster to Northfield, an office which he held until his death, and at that time with one exception he was the oldest active postmaster in years of services in the state. Mr. Steen was interested in his fellow countrymen and he assisted in the organization of Landings Laget and served as its president from 1910 to 1927. He always took an active part in public affairs. In his political views he was known as a liberal and was outspoken in the support of the party in which he placed his confidence. Mr. and Mrs. Steen reached their 50th wedding anniversary May 10, 1934. The event was not celebrated until the 13th of that month, at which time a large number of relatives and friends honored them at a public reception. The day marked one of the happiest events in the lives of Mr. and Mrs. Steen, who had lived happily together for a period of 50 years. Mr. Steen was a citizen whom the community respected and looked up to and his passing marks the departure of another pioneer who devoted his lifetime to the betterment of the community. The funeral services, which were conducted by the Revs. A.J. and H.A Oerke and E.B. Christophersen, were attended by a large number of relatives and friends and the memorial funds and the floral offerings attested in a small way to the esteem in which the deceased was held by those who knew him best. THE WHITEHALL TIMES - JUNE 27, 1935

Mrs. Gust (Julia) Stamates passed away on December 14, 1979 at a Milwaukee Hospital after a brief illness. A former Blair resident, Julia Nerison was born in Norway April 13, 1896 to Peder and Gunhid Nerison. She came here to the United States as a small child. She married Gust Stamates in Milwaukee on August 16, 1924. Survivors are her husband; two sisters, Mrs. Carrie Nemecek and Mrs. Marie Knutson, both Blair, Wisconsin; three nieces, Mrs. Joseph Peschl and Mrs. Harold Johnson and Opal Krall, all of Ostoria, Oregon. Her parents, two sisters and two brothers have preceded her in death. Funeral services were held at Bretts Funeral Chapel on December 15, 1979. The Rev. Charles E. Witt officiated. Entombment was in the Pipelawn Memorial Park, Milwaukee. Casket bearers were nephews Blessed be her memory. THE BLAIR PRESS - JANUARY 17, 1980

Mrs. H.A M. Steen, 74, died at the Community Hospital Sunday evening, August 20 at 8 o’clock, following a six-day illness with a strep-tococcic infection. Funeral services were held at her home at Northfield Wednesday and at the Northfield church, the Revs. A.J. Oerke and C.K. Malmon officiating. As Anna Fremstad, Mrs. Steen was born March 2, 1865 in Sondre Land, Norway. She came to America in 1869 with her parents and lived with them in Coon Valley two years before they came to Fulller Coulee, Town of Pigeon. On May 10, 1884, she was joined in marriage to H.A.M. Steen, who died June 15 1935. They lived first in Pigeon Falls, then York, and moved to Northfield in 1893, where Mr. Steen operated a store for the P.Ekern Company of Pigeon Falls. In 1897 he purchased the store and 19 years later, in 1918, he sold it to his son, Olger, who operates it at the present time. Mrs. Steen is survived by two sons and three daughters, as follows: Olger, Northfield; Mrs. Cora Arneson, Whitehall; Arthur Steen, Fargo, North Dakota; Mrs. W.L. (Laura) Ekern, Pipestone, Minnesota; and Miss Judith Steen, surgical nurse at the Whitehall Community Hospital. She also leaves six grandchildren, one great-grandchild, one brother, H. P. Fremstad of Pigeon Falls and two sisters, Mrs, Sarah Refsness of Pigeon Falls and Mrs. Inga Klandrud of Galesville. Mr. and Mrs. W.L. Ekern of Pipestone and their daughter, Harriet of Stevens Point were at Mrs. Steen’s bedside before her death while Arthur Steen of Fargo and his wife arrived Sunday evening following her passing. Mr. Steen had been a hospital patient himself, being dismissed only Friday, August 18, but in spite of his weakness he rushed to his mother’s bedside, only to arrive too late to see her. THE WHITEHALL TIMES - AUGUST 24, 1939

Peter Steen was born in 1874 in Oyer, Gulbransdalen, Norway. He was baptized and confirmed at the home church in Oyer. He came to America as a young man and stayed at the home of his sister, Mrs. John Lee, until securing a job in Lewis Valley. He married Elisa Staff and they lived in Lewis Valley on his farm until her death, then moved to Whitehall in 1917 where he has made him home until he was taken sick. He is survived by eight children: Oscar and Thorwald of Whitehall; Mrs. Melvin Bang and Elisa of Blair; Arnold of LaCrosse; Mrs. Ernie Haugh of Fergus Falls, Minnesota; Adeline of Minneapolis; and Joseph of New York City. Nine grandchildren also survive. Funeral services were held Wednesday at the Lutheran church at Mindoro, Mr. Steen’s former home. The Rev. Otterson of Mindoro and the Rev. K.M. Urberg of Blair officiated. THE BLAIR PRESS - JUNE 11/18, 1931

Soren Olsen Steien was born October 5, 1864 at Fagervik, Sonfjord, Norway, the son of Ole and Johanna Samuelson. He passed away at his home on May 7, 1945, at the age of 80 years, seven months and two days. He had been in failing health for several years and during the last five years of his life he was totally blind. From the age of two years he made his home at Steien in Dahle and when he became a young man he went to Bergen to learn the carpenter trade. In 1892, with his family, he came to America. His wife and four children of this union all preceded him in death. Oli and Thea died in infancy; Edward at the age of nine years and Jennie, Mrs. Joseph Sagen on July 20, 1941. On January 18, 1897, he was united in marriage to Andrene Hagen. They have made their home in Big Slough ever since. Seven children blessed this union, all of whom are living: Melvin Steien, Alma Center; Tillman, Blair; Helmer, Taylor; Agnes, Mrs. Edwin Peterson, Hixton; Esther, Mrs. Newland Berge, Pigeon Falls; Alma and Theodore at home. He also leaves seven grandchildren and two brothers, John of Madison and Christian of Norway. Funeral services were held on May 10 at the home and at Synod Lutheran church in Pigeon Falls, the Rev. E.B. Christophersen officiating. Two solos were sung at the church, “Softly and Tenderly Jesus is Calling” by Mrs. Arthur Ringlien and Mr. Steien’s favorite, “Den Store Hvide Flok Vi Se” by Rev. Christophersen. Pallbearers were the four sons and two sons-in-law, while the flowers were carried by two granddaughters, Jean and Marie Steien. THE WHITEHALL TIMES - M AY 17, 1945

Christian Steffenson died at his home in Blair where the family had just recently moved from the farm, on Sunday, October 5. He was born in Valestrand, Norway, January 10, 1868 and came to this country 33 years ago and settled in Trump Coulee. He was married November 2, 1904 to Martha Hilleque and they made their home until forced to move to Blair owing to Mr. Steffenson’s failing health. He leaves a wife and the following children: Theodore, Ole, Alber, Gertrude and Andrew. His mother is still living in Norway as are three brothers and one sister. Another sister, Mrs. Syver Christianson, lives in Trump Coulee. Funeral services were held at the U.N. Lutheran church in charge of Rev. Boe Tuesday, October 7. THE BLAIR PRESS - OCTOBER 9, 1919

Nettie Klundby Steig, youngest of the children of Hans and Agnethe Klundby of Biri, Norway, was born February 11, 1869 and passed away at her home in Whitehall January 15, 1947. Cause of death was a stroke she suffered on the previous Sunday. She was baptized and confirmed into the Lutheran faith in Norway, to which faith she was steadfast throughout her life. At the age of 15 she came to America with her parents and settled on the farm in the Town of Hale now owned by Eddie Goplin. She attended school for a short time in the Huskelhus district. Her teacher was Louise Kaas, now of Hannaford, North Dakota. At an early age she went to Minneapolis and found employment at housework. Here she became quite proficient in the English language. On October 7, 1893, Miss Klundby was united in marriage to Fred C. Steig by the Rev. M. Gulbrandson, pastor of the United Lutheran church at Pigeon Falls. To this union were born eight children, two sons, Carl and Arthur of the Pigeon territory, and six daughter, Mrs. Orland (Huldah) Kaas of Black River Falls; Mrs. Orvil (Catherine) Eid of Pigeon Falls; Mrs. Elmer (Florence) Jacobson of Eau Claire; Mrs. Russell (Cora) Johnson of Eau Claire; Mrs. Melvin (Hazel) Hanson of Whitehall and Mrs. Novel (Selma) Ekern of Tomah, all of whom survive her. Her husband preceded her in death in 1937. Besides her children, she is survived by 18 grandchildren and three great-grandchildren besides a host of other relatives and friends. Funeral services were conducted from the home and the United Lutheran church of Pigeon Falls. The Rev. C.K. Malmin officiated and the funeral arrangements were in charge of E.A. Sletteland. Flowers were carried by four grandsons, Arthur Hanson, Richard Johnson, Frederick and Kenneth Steig. Pallbearers were the six sons-in-law, Orlando Kaas, Orvil Eid, Elmer Jacobson, Russell Johnson, Melvin Hanson and Nobel Ekern. Two hymns were sung by the congregation, one in Norwegian, “I Himmelen, I Himmelen” by Rev. and Mrs. Malmin and “Nearer My God to Thee” by Mrs. E.A. Sletteland, Mrs. Solboe as accompanist. The beautiful floral and memorial offerings attested to the high esteem in which she was held. Interment was in the U.L church cemetery at Pigeon Falls. God bless her memory. Having known the subject of this sketch from the time she came to this country, I wish to pay tribute to her life. As a bride she realized her responsibility not only to make a home for her husband and herself and family, a role for which she was well fitted, but also to make a better home for her husband’s parents, a duty she well performed. The home she came to was, as were most homes in those days, small and simple with but few conveniences, but this home was a nucleus of a very modernized home in later years. By hard work and thrift they prospered and became well possessed of means for physical needs and in later years enjoyed the fruits of their labors. She was a devoted wife and mother with one great ambition in life, and that was that her children should grow to be good and useful citizens, faithful in their devotion to God and the church. This ambition she was privileged to live and see to its fulfillment. But life is not always only of joys but is mingled with sorrows, and so it was with this couple. Her husband suffered from a stroke about 1917 from which he never fully recovered and she was ill from about the same time with rheumatism which crippled her so that her tasks became too great to perform and they decided to move to Whitehall. In 1925 they left the farm in care of the two sons and in 1926, bought the house which was their home during their remaining years. For these many years she has been a patient, uncomplaining sufferer, not only from rheumatism but from the fact that she had to undergo an amputation of a limb that left her more helpless, but she bore this affliction with great fortitude. Her daughter, Hazel, stayed with her and became her constant companion and nurse, for which she so often expressed her appreciation. Time did not lay heavily on her for she was able to do a great deal of fancy work and kept abreast of the times by her reading and being versatile, she enjoyed her many friends who made frequent calls. While unable to attend services as she would have wanted to do, she did hear the word of God through the WCAL radio service. Her voice is stilled but the echo seems to come back, saying: “You children have all been very kind and thoughtful of me and I want to thank you all, and especially to you, Hazel, who have been so faithful and administered so uncomplainingly to me all these years, do I express my gratitude. May God bless you all.” Yes, a good mother will be missed, but she has only gone to a better home. Written by G.M. Steig. THE WHITEHALL TIMES - JANUARY 23, 1947

Mr. Steig was born in Biri, Norway, April 1, 1866, and came to America with his parents Christian and Ingeborg (Anderson) Steig the same year to Dane county, Wisconsin. In 1868 the family came to Trempealeau County and homesteaded the Steig farm now operated by Mr. Steig’s son, Carl Steig. Mr. and Mrs. Steig retired from farm life and moved to Whitehall 12 years ago. Mr. Steig is survived by his wife, Antonette Klundby, whom he married on October 7, 1893, and six daughters, (Hulda), Mrs. Orlando Kaas of Northfield, (Catherine) Mrs. Orvil Eid of Pigeon Falls, (Florence) Mrs. Elmer Jacobson of Eau Claire; (Cora) Mrs. Russell Johnson of St. Paul (Hazel) Mrs. Melvin Hanson of LaCrosse and (Selma) Mrs. Nobel Ekern of Tomah; two sons, Carl and Arthur Steig of Steig Coulee and two sisters, Mrs. Olaf Neprud of York and Mrs. Ed Sebo of Mindoro. Nephews were pallbearers at the funeral services conducted at the United Lutheran church Monday afternoon. They were Helmer Nepherud, Edward Goplin, Ernest Goplin, Guy Steig, Ray Nelson and Edwin Johnson. Services at the home at Whitehall preceded the church services and the Rev. H.A Oerke was in charge. Flowers were carried by Arlene Kaas of Eleanor Eid, granddaughters of Mr. Steig. The Revs. H.A. Oerke and A.J. Oerke sang “Tank Nor En Gang,” and Mrs. E.A. Sletteland sang, “Nearer My God to Thee.” In addition to the floral offerings, large number of memorial wreaths were given to organizations in honor of Mr. Steig. A sermonette was preached in Norwegian by the Rev. A.J. Oerke. THE WHITEHALL TIMES - JULY 15, 1937

Gilbert F. Steig was born in Biri, Norway, September 25, 1849. He came with his parents, Frederick G. Steig and Bertha Steig, to Union Hills, LaCrosse County, Wisconsin in 1867. His sisters, Mary, Pauline and Bergina came at the same time. His brother, Christian, and sisters, Ingeborg and Martha, had come to this country a year or so before. In 1868, accompanied by his father, mother and some other members of the family, he came to this county and settled in the Town of Hale in a little valley which for many years has been known as “Steig’s Coulee.” On May 30, 1874, he was united in marriage to Geline Larson, whose parents’ farm name was Norseteboen. Eight children came from this union, all of whom are living. Fore thirty years he lived in the Town of Hale where he took an active part in social and communal affairs and from time to time occupied positions of trust and honor. In 1898 he was elected sheriff of this county, which position he held for the two following years. After his election as sheriff he moved to Whitehall and built the house occupied by Albert Saxrud and family on Dewey Street. In 1916 he moved to North Dakota and lived for about two years in the vicinity of Bowman. While there his health began to fail. From North Dakota he moved to Aberdeen, South Dakota, where he made his home with his daughter, Minnie Swenson. After his removal to Aberdeen he recovered so that he was quite well for a time but on his birthday last fall, he was stricken with an illness which on the 23rd day of July 1924, ended his career. His body was brought here on the 25th and the funeral held in Our Saviour’s Church, July 26, Reverend Christophersen officiating. Considering the short notice, the funeral attendance was large. After the funeral service his body was taken to Pigeon Falls where he was laid beside his father and mother. His widow, Geline Steig, and his children, Fred Steig, Gustav Steig, Bennoni Steig, Minnie Swenson, Louise Larson, Josephine Steig, Olga Steig and George Steig, survive him and were present at the funeral. Other near relatives too numerous to mention survive him, many of whom attended the funeral. My contact and association with Mr. Steig began in the summer of 1868 soon after he came to this county, and continued with some interruptions until he passed away. He was my senior by more than five years and had reached the stature of a well developed youth of nineteen while I was still a boy. He was able to take a leading place among men for the transformation of a new country into an inhabitable condition for man. He was able to go to the pineries in winters, on the “drive” in the spring and home his own among the strong, rough and ready men who tamed the wilderness. And when it became known that toughs and roughnecks found it for their interests not to provoke any personal encounters with him he gained my admiration. Every normal boy, I think, learns to respect and admire physical courage and prowess. From the foregoing remark let it not be inferred that I wish to convey the impression that Mr. Steig was a fighting man, but that I regarded him as a man who possessed the ability to take care of himself if the occasion required it. For there was in his splendid physique, his confident bearing, rippling, supple muscles, always that which warned the would be aggressor “Beware.” Men who give form and impetus to human life may be roughly divided into two groups. First, the quiet, cautious, conservative men, always self-contained, who seldom make mistakes and rarely advance the boundaries of human achievements. They are the pillars of social order, the guardians of our most cherished institution, conservators of heirlooms of the ages. Such men are indispensable. But equally necessary in the evolution of the human race are the men who dare to venture beyond the beaten paths in any field of human endeavor. Men who dare to fight against odds - yes, men who dare to fail if necessary. It is this elemental characteristic, so dominant in the life of Robert LaFollette, that will bring him more rates next November than any particular thing he has accomplished. If all the world loves a lover, half of the world at least admires a man who has never turned his back to the foe except in contempt of opponent’s cowardice. It was to the last described class of men that the departed belonged. He loved life in action, in fervid endeavor, in a free for all sociability and gladsomeness. He passed few, if any, moments of somber meditation on the evils of life, but many in panning how to make life entertaining and joyful. He was the life of every social gathering where he was present and as a liberal and entertaining host he could scarcely be surpassed. In his fifty year partnership with his wife, he was especially fortunate and blessed. And in his last conscious moments it was have been to him a special comfort that all the children of his body are living and constitute as fine a group of sober, industrious and intelligent men and women as any father or mother can reasonably hope for. Written by H.A. Anderson. THE WHITEHALL TIMES - AUGUST 7, 1924

Mrs. G. F. Steig, who with her husband resided in Whitehall for many years, died quietly at the home of her son-in-law and daughter Mr. and Mrs. A.K. Pierce at West Allis in the early morning of Thursday, December 5, aged 86. Funeral services under the direction of the Rev. Einar Larson, pastor of Mount Hope Lutheran church of West Allis and assisted by the Rev. E.B. Christophersen of the Synod Lutheran church, Pigeon Falls, were held at Our Saviour’s Lutheran church in Whitehall on Saturday afternoon. Mrs. Steig had been a member here while living in Whitehall. Rev. O.G. Birkeland, pastor of Our Saviour’s, was unable to be present on account of a previous engagement. Mrs. E.A Sletteland of Pigeon Falls sang two selections at the last rites, “Jesus Lover of My Soul” and “Peace.” And Ewin Thomley of York sang “Den Store Hvide Flock.” Pallbearers were Edwin, Lester and Julius Thomley and Hilmer, Oscar and Fred Hoff. The flowers were carried by Mmes. William Mason, Scott B. Nichols, S.M. Salverson, Ralph Wood, John Johnson and Tillie Everson and Misses Pearl Brennom and Mabel Larson. Burial was in the family lot in the Synod Lutheran cemetery at Pigeon Falls. Geline Marie Steig, the daughter of Gilbert and Anna Marie Norsteboen, was born on the Norseteboen farm in Land, Norway on May 22, 1854. At the age of 11 she came with her parents, brothers and sisters to this country and lived for two years on a farm near Black Earth, Dane County. In 1868, with ten or eleven other migrant families, Gilbert and Anna Norsteboen and their children came to Trempealeau County and settled on what is now the Thomley farm in Timber Creek. Seven years later Geline was married to Gilbert F. Steig and to them, on their farm ten miles northeast of Whitehall, four sons and four daughters were born. Retiring from active farm life in 1898, the family moved to Whitehall, where Mr. and Mrs. Steig resided until late in 1916. In the fall of that year after death had swiftly claimed first their daughter-in-law, the late Mrs. Fred G. Steig, and then their first grandson, son of their own first-born, Mr. and Mrs. Steig went to Bowman, North Dakota, to help maintain the home for Fred and his two younger sons. It was there that Mr. Steig’s health began to fail and they were unable after that to return to reopen their home in Whitehall. Mr. Steig died in 1924 and two years later, following the death of their oldest daughter, Mrs. Steig returned to remain for a time with her son and daughter-in-law, Mr. and Mrs. Gustave Steig. In 1928 she joined her son-in-law and daughter in West Allis and it was with them that she made her home during the last twelve years of her life. Three sons and three daughters survive Mr. Steig: Frederick of Bowman, North Dakota; Gustave of Whitehall; George of Frederick, South Dakota; Mrs. C.P. Larson of River Falls; Mrs. Adolph K. Pierce of West Allis and Miss Olga Steig of Washington, D.C. A brother and sister also survive, Martin Lewis of Ryder, North Dakota and Mrs. Martin Thomley of Timber Creek. The oldest daughter, Germine (Mrs. Martin Swenson) passed away in 1926 and a son, Benont, in 1934. The story of Mrs. Steig’s life is the story, with variations, of course, of hundreds of other pioneer immigrant women. Its general pattern is to be found in the stories of Norwegian settlements by Hamsun, Boyer, Rolvaag and Havighurst, who have given us realistic pictures of the hardships, the humble way of life, the human kindliness and the bitter cruelties of pioneer days. Her own story told many times to her children, embraces recollections of the simple joys of her early childhood in Norway, of the tearful farewell at the little country schoolhouse when with her parents, brothers and sisters, she started out on the long voyage to a strange land far, far, away, of their 11 weeks on the ocean in a sailing vessel, when they shared their more bountiful supply of food with other families whose supplies ran out long before the landing in Montreal; of the trip on the Great Lakes to Milwaukee; and finally, of the cross-county trip by wagon to Back Earth, where they were to live for two years. They came the three weeks journey by covered wagon over the wilderness trails to the farm in Trempealeau County that was to be their home. Before the winter had set in, a log cabin had been built and shelters for livestock were up. Those were the days when the men worked in the lumber camps during the winter and tilled the soil in the spring and summer. Within the hearts of their womenfolk and children during the long, bleak winters, fear must often have struck. Theirs was a life of isolation and loneliness in those early days when this region was but sparsely settled. The church and the little country school afforded the only social outlets. But there was always work, hard work, and there was always a determination that things should be better. It was to the future, the future of their children and their children’s children, that these pioneers looked. It was so then just as it is today. They sought a ways of life - the way of life that is part of what we struggle today to preserve. THE WHITEHALL TIMES - DECEMBER 12, 1940

Mrs. Martin Stenberg, 73, Ettrick, died Thursday at a LaCrosse Hospital after a long illness. (July 23 1964) The former Inga Dalhoe, she was born April 29, 1891 in Norway to Mr. and Mrs. Martin Dalhoe. She was married June 22, 1911. She and her husband farmed in French Creek 23 years and then moved to Ettrick. Survivors are her husband, two daughter, Mrs. Rudolph (Irene) Tolokken, LaCrosse; and Mrs. Bernie (Bernice) Olson Ettrick; two grandchildren; one great-grandchild; one brother, Bert, of San Creek, Wisconsin and five brothers in Norway. The funeral was held Saturday at 2 p.m. at French Creek Lutheran church, the Rev. Henry Lease officiating. Burial was in the church cemetery. THE BLAIR PRESS - JULY 30, 1964

Ingeborg Steig was born in Norway December 8, 1842. With her husband and two children came to Dane County, Wisconsin, 1866. Two years later they came to Trempealeau County and settled in what is now commonly known as Steig Coulee about two miles northeast of Pigeon Falls. Coming in the summer time they soon had a small log cabin built. A few years later they built another cabin of pine logs which Mr. Steig hauled from the woods east of Humbird. This second house, I believe, had no counterpart in this country, and it is to be regretted that conditions as a landmark and memento of pioneer days as well as a specimen of Norwegian peasant house. The logs were hewn on all sides to almost exact dimensions. The first course of timbers was squared on the under side and deeply grooved on the upper side. The next course was beveled on the upper side so as to fit perfectly into the groove of the first course. Thus all the logs were grooved on one side and beveled on the other until the last course which was finished with a squared off level top. All the corners were neatly mortised together. When completed this house was one of the neatest appearing buildings in the country and certainly one of the most substantial. Mr. Otto Hoff, who had learned the carpenter trade in Norway, was the builder and architect. Mr. Hoff at a very advanced age, is still living and able to tell the story of the building of this unique house where Mrs. Steig spent so many strenuous years. Like all the houses of the Steigs, that I have known, it was always a center of good cheer and hospitality. There was not always a fatted calf to be killed for the guests that gathered there from time to time during the many years that Mrs. Steig presided here as mistress, but there was always something to cheer and gladden her friends and neighbors. An atmosphere of welcome often richer and sweeter than the most savory odor of roasting meat. Nine children came to this good wife and mother. Two died in infancy. Seven grew to maturity and married, three of whom passed on before her. Andrew, a son, died many years ago. Olava Johnson died about four years ago, and another daughter, Anna Nelson, died a little later. Fredrick C. Steig, Beaty Goplin, Julia Neperud and Inga Sebo survive her. The fact that only once during her long life, until her last sickness was a doctor called to see her, may not be absolute evidence of the constancy of her health, but it is at least an indication that she had little need of a physician’s services. She was of a quiet, patient and uniformly cheerful disposition. During a part of five summers, as I walked to and from my place of labor, my path led by the door of her home. I have therefore little need of imagination to sketch her character or circumstances of her life. Her husband was a strong man, able and willing to keep real want and poverty from his home but like most of the earliest settlers he was poor and often called on to go far away to earn money for the support of the family. Perhaps no memories bring tears more readily to the eyes of pioneer wives and mothers than the memories of the winters when their husbands went to the “pineries” and remained away for months. Only wives and mothers whose husbands and sons have gone to war can fully appreciate what they suffered. But He who created man and established a beautiful balance between efforts and results. For every properly directed effort and sacrifice there was a compensation provided, in spite of all the dark skepticism of the shiftless and unfortunate to the contrary. If there were bitter pangs of partings, there were also sweet reunions. If there were great sacrifices made mutually by husbands and wives, the bonds between became stronger and more sacred. The material rewards for what they had endured might give pleasure but were secondary to the rewards they found in the mutual appreciation that each of them had done his and her best to build up and protect the home. Mrs. Steig lived long enough to experience the pleasure of seeing her oldest son build an elegant home where she and her husband began the taming of the wilderness. In this home she spent several years watching her son and grandchildren go steadily forward to success. Almost two years ago, when in failing health, he turned the farm over to his sons and moved to Whitehall, she came with him. And there she continued to live until the final message came. A beautiful incident of her closing days that just before her last sickness she made a complete round of visits to her children, grandchildren and many of her old time friends. All unconscious of the summons that was waiting for her on her return, she was bidding them a cheerful and final farewell. Her sickness, which lasted only a week, was almost free from pain and her most constant expression was that of pleasure and gratitude because as she said: “Everyone is so good to me.” And so she went to sleep, calmly, gladly and contented with the assurance of her faith that sometime she would meet her loved ones again. Her funeral, conducted by Rev. Orke, was held at Pigeon Falls, where a host of old-time neighbors and friends saw her encoffined body carried by six sturdy grandsons and laid beside that of her husband, Christian F. Steig, who died June 25, 1910. Written by H.A. Anderson, October 24 1926 THE WHITHALL TIMES - OCTOBER 28, 1926

Mrs. Mina Stenberg, 78, died Friday morning (September 4, 1959) at the Whitehall Community hospital where she had been a patient since Wednesday. She was born January 9, 1881 in Redalen, Biri, Norway, the daughter of Frederick and Petrina Frederickson. She came to America in 1900 and made her home with the Hans Lokken family. She married Edward Stenberg November 23, 1903 at the French Creek church and the couple farmed in Reynolds Coulee. He died in 1930. Survivors are three sons: Alfred, Winona, Minnesota; Edwin, Chatfield, Minnesota; and Myron, Blair; one daughter, Mrs. Gerald (Viola) Mahlum, Ettrick; four sisters, Marie, LaCrosse; Annette, Hilda and Ragna of Norway and six grandchildren. One daughter and two sons have died. Funeral services were held on Monday at 1 p.m. at First Lutheran church, Blair, the Rev. K.M. Urberg officiating. Burial was in Rest Haven cemetery. THE BLAIR PRESS - SEPTEMBER 10, 1959

Gust Stenhaugen passed away Sunday, April 21, at the Lutheran hospital at LaCrosse. He had been in poor health for several years. Mr. Stenhaugen was born in Veldre, Norway, January 25 1856. He came to America in May 1892 and was united in marriage to Karie Johnson on October 13, 1894. Since their marriage they had made their home in the French Creek Valley. Six children were born to this union, one of whom is dead. His wife and five children are left to mourn his death; also two sisters and one brother. His sisters are Mrs. Engeborg Bjorge of Ettrick; Carrie Davidson of Riceville, Iowa; and his brother Matt, of Whitehall. Funeral services were held Wednesday, April 24th and interment was made in the French Creek cemetery. THE WHITEHALL TIMES - MAY 2, 1929

Funeral services were held on Thursday for Mrs. Karen Stenhaugen, 77, who died Sunday at her home in French Creek after an illness of six weeks duration. She was born in Ringsaker, Norway, September 20, 1866, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Johannes Lagestuen. She was baptized and confirmed in Ringsaker church and came to America in 1894. She was a member of French Creek Lutheran church. On October 13, 1894 she was married to Gustav Stenhaugen who died in 1929. A daughter, Gudrum, died in 1905. Mrs. Stenhaugen is survived by a sister, Mrs. Thea Moen of Minneapolis; three sons, Marvin and Arthur, who operate the home farm and George, also of French Creek; two daughters, Ethel of Minneapolis and Mrs. Agnes Hustler at home and one granddaughter. Funeral services were held at the home and at French Creek Lutheran church with the Rev. Oscar Rem of Galesville officiating. THE BLAIR PRESS - JANUARY 27, 1944

Ole Elias Stendal was born in Trondhjem, Norway’s most famous city, June 4. 1857. In 1861, he came to America with his parents, Tosten and Johanne Stendal. They landed in Quebec and lived in Canada about six months. In the fall of the same year, they came to LaCrosse County, Wisconsin and settled not far from Holmen. In 1877, they came to Fitch Coulee, this county, and since that time this has been the home of the deceased. April 4, 1884, he married Nettie Amlee, from which union eight children were born all of whom are living except Jennie, who died at the age of ten years. The living are: Theodore Stendal and Walter Stendal, Whitehall; Oscar Stendal and Archie Stendal, Pigeon; Abbie Simons, Hammond, Indiana; Lillie Christopherson, LaCrosse; Amy Christianson, Arcadia. His wife survives him. His last sickness became clearly manifest about the first of March 1930 and from that time on till July 13, when he finished his course, there was a steady decline, and undoubtedly much suffering although he never complained. Funeral services were held on July 17, in the lower Pigeon Falls church, Rev. Orke officiating. All his children were present and also his widow. Many relatives and friends from distant points and a host of neighbors and acquaintances from the community in which he had spent all manhood years. Mr. Stendal’s life was a life of great physical activity. I am told he spent 18 seasons in the woods and on the river in the lumber industry. After he quit the woods, he engaged in threshing which he followed many seasons. Then there was the farm always. He took over the farm from his parents in 1887, on the condition that he was to support them both until death. His father was at this time totally blind and his mother in such crippled condition that she could not walk. Perhaps this double burden fell quite heavily on his wife as it did on him, for he was then in the prime of life, strong and hopeful and not worried over the dark tomorrows. Mr. Stendal was of a sanguine impulsive temperament. His disposition was extremely generous and often outran his better judgment. When he met “small” men, exact men and men who walked by rule, he was apt to be impatient and sometimes harsh and nasty in his judgments concerning them for he hated everything that looked like “meanness” more than anything else. I first met him on a Sunday afternoon in the fall of 1887, where several men and boys had chanced to gather just to pass the time. Mr. Stendal was turning somersaults, hand-springs and performing other athletic stunts which attracted by attention to him as a superb athlete. But in this as in his work, he was wasteful with his strength. He was then 20 years of age. He felt the throb and ripple of his muscles, calling for action. He felt the swift current of his blood which seemed to flow from youths immortal fountain. Exercise was a joy - the more violent, the greater the joy. Decay, exhaustion and death were forgotten in the pleasure of intense living. But the gods of time laugh at the antics of mortals chasing fame, wealth, pleasure or even the mere necessaries of life, for they know the many destroyers along the path of life. In the story of Thor wrestling with an old woman our Scandinavian ancestors, with grim humor, show that they have a true conception of the futility of man’s opposing himself to the course of nature. But in every heart a spark of admiration is kindled when we see men braving the elemental forces of life even when we anticipate failure or disaster. Mr. Stendal’s sympathies were always with the common man - the poor and the toilers, and his judgment of other classes was often tinged with bitterness. Thus, does love often cause mental astigmatism. Now the music of his voice is still. His hand with its strong touch is vanished. Another link in the family chain lies dim and broken in dust. I think I knew the whole Stendal family. There was the father with unseeing eyes, conning day by day for years his failures and successes. There was the mother, whose brow might have borne with honor a diadem, confined for years by promethean chains. There were Oluf, Andrew and John as fine up-standing men as ever gladdened a mothers eyes. There were Mrs. Haugen and Mrs. Parker, both women of great charm. All gone. There is pathos in these memories which stirs my imagination until I can almost hear the calling waves of Oblivion’s seas, where I soon must follow. But this comes it soon or late, is only another transition in the Great Designers plan. A change departed welcomed, for he was weary. Sleep brother, sleep! Though thy beloved weep. Their tears shall catch the hues, Of sunlit morning dews. Written by H.A. Anderson, August 3, 1930. THE WHITEHALL TIMES - AUGUST 7, 1930

Peter Stenberg, 86, died Monday, January 14, 1957 at a home for the aged at Northwood, North Dakota. Born May 12, 1869 in Norway, the son of Mr. and Mrs. Martin Stenberg, he came to the United States at an early age with his parents who settled in the French Creek Valley. He married the former Anna Hanson of Arcadia. He moved to Northwood, North Dakota years ago. He is survived by five brothers, Dankert, Martin and Einar of Ettrick; Oscar and Carl of Blair; a sister, Mrs. Bernt Mustad of Upper French Creek and eight children. Funeral services were held at Rugby, North Dakota. Stenberg’s sister, Mrs. Nels Gunderson, 81, of Pleasantville, died at the Whitehall Community hospital less than 12 hours after the death of her brother. Einar Stenberg, who suffered a stroke December 31st, had been a patient at the Whitehall hospital since that time. January 8th, at St. Joseph’s hospital, Bernt Mustad, brother-in-law, died in Arcadia. THE BLAIR PRESS - JANUARY 24, 1957

Agnetta Amlee Stendal was born September 25, 1859 in Hedmarken, Norway, the daughter of Gudbran and Lisabeth Amlee. Her father passed away in Norway, but her mother with her family of three sons and two daughters came to America in 1880 and settled first in Black River Falls. Agnetta Amlee was joined in marriage to Ole Elias Stendal April 4, 1884 at Eau Claire. In 1887 Mr. and Mrs. Stendal moved to Fitch Coulee and settled on a farm. Here eight children were born to them: namely, Theodore, now of Whitehall; Oscar, Pigeon Falls; Archie, Pigeon Falls; Walter, Whitehall; Mrs. Kneeland Simons, Hammond, Indiana; Mrs. Fred Christoperson, LaCrosse; Mrs. Palmer Christianson, Arcadia, and Jennie who died at the age of 10 years. Mrs. Stendal was a woman of great energy. When she and her husband went to farming in 1887,they took over the homestead of Mr. Stendal’s parents with the understanding that they would care for them until death. His father was at this time totally blind and his mother was in such a crippled condition, she could not walk. This double burden fell equally on Mr. and Mrs. Stendal. The deceased was a member of the U.L. church at Pigeon Falls and the U.L. Ladies Aid as long as she was able. For the past several months, after her husband died, she had been living with her son, Theodore at Whitehall, where her health failed gradually until death relieved her of all suffering on December 16, 1931 when she had reached the grand old age of 72 years. Mrs. Stendal had led a long useful life but when this life held nothing more for her, she passed quietly away into the Beyond. Funeral services were held December 18 at the U.L. church, Pigeon Falls, Rev. Orke officiating. All her children were present at the burial services besides a very large number of other relatives and friends. Besides her seven living children, Mrs. Stendal leaves to brothers, O. Amlee of St. Paul and Nels Amlee of Pigeon Falls, and one sister, Mrs. O. Madsen of Menomonie to mourn her death. The third brother mentioned in the first paragraph died in the Philippine Islands during the Spanish-American War. THE WHITEHALL TIMES - JANUARY 14, 1932

Christian Christianson Stenslie was born in Vardal, Norway, April 3, 1831, and passed away at the home of his daughter December 27, 1926. He came to America when about 40 years old, stopping at Halfway Creek for a time and from there he came to Pigeon Falls which has been his home since. He was one of the early settlers here and has been an honest , upright man and good neighbor. He helped in building up the S.L. church, of which he was a member. About a year after coming here, he was united in marriage to Lena Olsdatter Karsrud. One daughter was born to them , Mrs. Magda Finstad. His wife preceded him in death September 10, 1919. Mr. Stenslie has been helpless the past year, but has had all the care that loving hands could give. Funeral services were held at the S.L. church, Rev. Christophersen officiating. He leaves to mourn him, his only daughter and grandchildren. THE WHITEHALL TIMES - JANUARY 14, 1926

Agnet Stevens, daughter of Ole and Ingeborg Longseth, was born in Torpen Nordre Land, February 17, 1859. She was baptized and confirmed in the Lutheran faith in Norway. She came to America in 1878. She was united in marriage to Knut Stevens in 1879 and they settled on a farm in Bennett Valley. To this union eleven children were born. They resided in Bennett Valley until 1898 when they moved to their farm south of Eleva. Her husband died July 16, 1934. She continued to live on the farm until November 1, 1943 when she moved to Eleva where she resided until her death, March 2, at the age of 86 years, one month and 11 days. She leaves to mourn her loss ten children: Oliver of Saskatchewan, Canada; Steven, Bergen, North Dakota; Arthur and Alvin of Eau Claire; Emma, Mrs. Palmer Lee of Whitehall; Clara, Mrs. Arnt Fossum, Anna Mrs. Knut Berg and Belle, Mrs. Theodore Berg, Oscar and Theodore, all of Eleva; 40 grandchildren and 40 great-grandchildren; one brother and two sisters, Johanna Longseth and Mrs. Ellen Berndt, both of Bennett Valley and Mrs. Mary Randen of Eau Claire, also a host of relatives and friends. Funeral services were held Monday afternoon, April 2. The brief service at the home was followed by rites at the Eleva Lutheran church, the Rev. H.A. Wichmann officiating. Interment was in the Eleva cemetery. Two selections Rock of Ages” and “The Lord is My Shepherd” were sung by Lyle Heck. Rev Wichmann sang “Set Mig Saa Jeg Ser Dig Jesus,” this being the favorite hymn of the deceased. Five grandsons and one nephew acted as pallbearers. Many memorials were given in her memory to various church organizations. THE WHITEHALL TIMES - APRIL 12, 1945

Mrs. Marie Stensven, 86, died Monday at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Harry Ekern. She had been ill about four weeks following a stroke. As Marie Granlien, she was born in Norway, January 19, 1857, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Hans Granlien. About the year 1887 she came to America and November 17, 1888 she was married to Lars Stensven. The couple engaged in farming in Stensven Coulee. Mr. Stensven died December 24, 1922. Mrs. Stensven was a member of the Lutheran church. Survivors include two sons, Hans of Stensven Coulee and Roy of Ettrick; two daughters, Mrs. Harry Ekern of Beach and Mrs. Herman Hoff of Hardies Creek; 26 grandchildren and 12 great-grandchildren. Two brothers who have not been heard from in more than two years are believed to be living in Norway. Funeral services were held on Thursday at Ettrick Lutheran church with the Rev. K.M. Urberg officiating. Burial was in the Ettrick cemetery. THE BLAIR PRESS - AUGUST 5, 1943

On December 20 occurred the death of one of the pioneer settlers of Hale, having resided in that township over 30 years. Bernt J. Stensby was born in Nes, Hedmarken, Norway, on June 28, 1851. When eighteen years of age, he came to America accompanied by his brother, Lars. He lived in LaCrosse County for some time, later moving to Hardies Creek in this county, where he resided until 1885, when he moved to his farm in Hale, where his death occurred. He was married in May 1879 to Bertha Rindahl of Hardies Creek. He was the father of a large family of splendid children, all of whom survive him, namely; Mrs. Will Mahlum of Whitehall; Mrs. M.. Olson of Hale; Mrs. W.E. McFarlane of Alexandria, Minnesota; Mrs. O. C. Gullord of Osseo; Mrs. O.M. Kleven of Rice Lake; Mrs. A.L. Conrow of Whitehall and Odell, Ella, Clara, Walter and Mildred at home. He also leaves, besides his beloved wife and children, nine grandchildren and two brothers, Lars of Hancock, Minnesota and Jack of Wilder, Minnesota. His parents died in Norway. Mr. Stensby endured the many struggles of a pioneer life. Through his management and years of hard labor his farm is numbered among the best grain and stock farms in the community. He spent several winters as cook in the lumber camps of northern Wisconsin, and many were the stories he related of days spent there. Just a week prior to his illness, he returned from an enjoyable visit with his former “boss” at the camp, Mr. Dewey, who resides at Neilsville. After this his heath gradually failed. He spent three weeks at the Community hospital at Whitehall and was then taken to LaCrosse, where he was treated for eight weeks at the Lutheran hospital, but to no avail. The doctors whom he consulted had never seen a case of that nature, and it was pronounced incurable. It was called sarcomatous tumors of the right leg and metastatic nodules which gradually spread over his entire body. All through is illness he uttered no word of complaint, but was grateful for every act of kindness shown him. Mr. Stensby was greatly respected by his friends and neighbors, being of a kind, noble and honest disposition. He was very much devoted to his home and family, all of whom were present to pay their last respects to him. A nephew, J.A Stensby and wife of Minnesota, were present during his last days of illness and death. He longed to come home, for then he said he surely must get well. He was brought home the 27th of November and as the weary days passed and seeing no signs of recovery, he wished to depart to a better home where there is no sorrow and suffering. He was called away then to that “better home” for Christmas. Hs family gathered around the fireside with heavy hearts at the thought of one who always shared with them the joy and merriment of Christmas. He had been a faithful member of the Synod Lutheran church for over 38 years and always showed a keen interest to all work pertaining to the church and betterment of mankind. His traits of Christian character were shown in numerous ways. He was laid to rest in the Hale cemetery. The Osseo quartette sang four beautiful selections, one of which was his favorite hymn, “Rock of Ages.” One by one the old settlers pass away, but the sterling qualities of Mr. Stensby will linger long in the memories of the people and his family, the vacancy in which can never be filled, yet they shall be comforted by the monument he left and which they shall ever keep fresh in their memories.
Jesus, I my cross have taken, All to leave and follow Thee,
Destitute, despised, forsaken, Though from hence my all shalt be.
Perish every land ambition, All I’ve sought or hoped or known,
Yet how rich is my condition! God and heaven are still my own.
Let the world despite and leave me, They have left the Saviour, too;
Human hearts and looks deceive me, Thou art not, like them, untrue.
Haste, shall I, from grace to glory, Armed by faith and winged by prayer,
Heaven’s eternal days before me, God’s own hand shall guide me there.

Ole G. Stevning died at his home in this village Friday, February 7,1908 of pneumonia, aged 61 years and 10 days. Deceased was born in Nummendahl, Norway, January 27, 1847. He came to America at the age of 19 years, settling at Wausau, this state, where he engaged in the lumber business and continued in that pursuit for 20 years. At Wausau he was married to Miss Bentigta Benson. Nine children blessed the union, namely, Agnes, George, Louise, Olga, Clara, Emma, Oliver, Harold and Donald. The wife and all the children survive to mourn the death of a beloved husband and affectionate father. On account of poor health Mr. Stevning closed out his business at Wausau and removed in 1886 and engaged at farming near Independence. He retired from farming and took up his residence in the village of Independence, where he resided nine years and until he removed with his family to Whitehall last fall. For nine years Mr. Stevning conducted a large general merchandise business at Stephen, Minnesota and it was during a trip there to look after business interests that he contracted a cold that developed into pneumonia, causing death. Mr. Stevning was an exemplary citizen, considerate and kind husband and father and a methodical businessman. He had a genial disposition and was a very companionable gentleman. During his short residence in Whitehall, he formed many acquaintances who respected and esteemed him for his sterling qualities of manhood. The bereaved family have the sympathy of their many friends in the greatest affliction that could befall them. The funeral was conducted at the Lutheran church in Independence on the 10th inst., Rev. Rasmussen of Winona officiating. The decorations and floral offerings were elaborate, showing the esteem in which the deceased and his family were held in the community where they had long been residents. The remains were interred in the independence cemetery beside those of a brother. THE WHITEHALL TIMES AND BLAIR BANNER - FEBRUARY 13, 1908

Gilbert F. Steig, a retired farmer residing in Whitehall, Wisconsin, was born in Biri, Norway, September 25, 1849, a son of Frederick and Bertha (Jenson) Steig. The parents came to the United States in 1867, settling in Mindoro, LaCrosSe County, Wisconsin, where they remained one year, afterwards moving to Trempealeau County. They died on the farm of their son, the subject of this sketch, the father March 28, 1888, and the mother in March 1897. Gilbert F. Steig bought his farm in section 23, Hale Township, this county, in 1870 when he was 21 years old, and resided there, operating the farm until the fall of 1898, when he was elected county sheriff, at which time he moved to Whitehall, which has since been his place of residence. After filling the office of sheriff two years, he went into the hay and grain business, also conducting an elevator with Christ Torgerson (of Independence) at Whitehall, and this was his occupation until 1914, when he retired. He was treasurer of the Pigeon Mutual Fire Insurance Company for five years and has been president o the company since 1901. A considerable part of his time has been devoted to public service. He was township superintendent four years, township treasurer five years, school clerk two years, school treasurer 18 years, and president of the village board of Whitehall four years, in all these offices rendering good and faithful service. Mr. Steig was married May 30, 1874 to Gelina M. Lewis, who was born in Norway May 22, 1854, daughter of Gilbert and Marie (Thomervolden) Lewis. Her parents came to the United States with their family in 1865, locating in Dane County, Wisconsin, where they spent three years. They then removed to a farm in section 14, Hale Township, Trempealeau County, on which place the mother died in 1894, and the father ten years later, in 1904. Mr. and Mrs. Steig have eight children: Frederick, now a farmer in Bowman, North Dakota; Gustav M., who graduated from the Whitehall high school and the W.B. University of LaCrosse, and is now a merchant at Church's Ferry, North Dakota; Benonie I., a merchant at Edmond, North Dakota; Minnie, who graduated from Steven's Point normal school, was a teacher two years and is now the wife of Martin Swenson, a merchant of Esmond, North Dakota; Louise, also a graduate of Stevens Point normal school, who was a teacher six years, and is now the wife of C.P. Larson, a banker of Eleva, Wisconsin; Josephine, a graduate in the class of 1907 of the University of Wisconsin, and who is now teaching mathematics in the Kenosha, Wisconsin schools; Olga, a graduate of the University of Wisconsin, class of 1914, who is a teacher of German in the Kenosha, Wisconsin schools, and George C. a graduate of Whitehall high school and the W.B. University of LaCrosse, Wisconsin, who is assistant cashier of the First National Bank of Lakota, North Dakota. It will be seen that Mr. Steig has given his children a good education and that they are making a good use of it to their own advantage and the credit of their parents. HISTORY OF TREMPEALEAU COUNTY - 1917

Frederick C. Steig, proprietor of Steig farm of 200 acres in sections 23 and 24, town 23 north, range 7 west, Hale Township, belongs to that class of hard and industrious Norwegian farmers who have done so much to build up and develop the resources of Trempealeau County. His birth took place in Biri, Norway, April 1, 1866, his parents being Christian F. and Ingeborg (Anderson) Steig. The father, who was born at Biri, Norway, March 11, 1839, emigrated with his family to the United States in 1866, locating in Dane County, Wisconsin, where he remained about two years. In 1868 he came to Trempealeau County, settling on the farm now owned and operated by his son Frederick C. Here he resided for some 42 years, dying June 25, 1910, after a long career of agricultural activity, during which time he greatly improved his farm, becoming a prosperous citizen of his township. His wife, Ingeborg, who was born in Norway, December 8, 1842, is still living and resides with her son, Frederick, subject of this sketch. The latter was reared on the home farm and for many years assisted his father in operating it. In 1887 he became its manager and so continued until 1896, in which year he bought the property and has since been engaged in its further development. In 1904 he built the house in which he and his family now reside, which is a two-story brick veneer structure, with basement, containing eight rooms and heated by furnace. In 1914 Mr. Steig built a frame barn, 36 by 90 by 12 feet, with an eight-foot stone basement, having cement floors and modern equipment. He keeps graded Durham cattle, having a herd of 35 head, of which he milks 22. Since 1908 he has been a member of the school board of his district. Mr. Steig was married October 7, 1893 to Antonette Klundby, who was born in Biri, Norway, June 11, 1869. Her family, Hans Klundby, born in Norway in 1830, came to America in 1884 with his family, settling in Hale Township, this county. He died in 1892. His wife, whose maiden name was Agnethe Olson, was born in Norway in 1828 and died in 1900. Mr. and Mrs. Steig are the parents of eight children, born as follows: Hulda, June 21, 1894; Carl, July 31, 1895; Catherine, October 6, 1897; Arthur, November 26, 1899; Florence, June 2, 1902; Cora, August 22, 1904; Hazel, December 17, 1906 and Selma, September 19, 1910. All the children are living at home except Hulda, who was married July 30, 1917 to Orlando Kaas of Pigeon Township. Mr. Steig and his family are members of the Norwegian Lutheran Church of America. They have a wide acquaintance and are among the substantial and prosperous families of Hale Township. SOURCCE – HISTORY OF TREMPEALEAU COUNTY - 1917

Ole T. Stendahl, proprietor of the Fair View farm of 200 acres in sections 13, 14 and 23, Pigeon Township, was born in Trondjem, Norway, June 4, 1857. His father, Thortson Stendahl, was born in Norway December 10, 1822, married Johanna Berg, who was born October 5, 1827, brought his family to America in 1861, lived in La Crosse, Wisconsin 15 years, and in 1877, settled in Pigeon Township, this county, where he spent the remainder of his life, dying September 4, 1897. Mrs. Thortson Stendahl died in Pigeon Township January 20, 1911. Ole T. Stendal was brought here by his parents, attended the district schools and was reared to farm pursuits. For eighteen winters he engaged in lumbering as woodsman and riverman. For the past twenty-four seasons he has engaged in threshing. His farming operations, since he assumed charge of the home place, have been most successful, his good herd of high grade Holstein cattle net him a satisfactory income, and his whole farm presents a neat and thrift appearance. Mr. Stendahl was married April 4, 1884, to Nettie Amlee, born in Hammer, Norway, September 25, 1859, daughter of Gilbert and Elizabeth (Bokalrud) Amlee, the former of whom was born December 1, 1818, and died in Hammer, Norway, September 4, 1877, and latter of whom was born in Norway, April 14, 1837, and died February 4, 1904, at the home of her daughter, Mrs. O. Madson, in Menomonie, Wisconsin. Mrs. Gilbert Amlee and children came from Norway in 1880 to Black River Falls, Wisconsin. Mrs. and Mrs. Stendahl have had eight children: Theodore is a farmer of Pigeon Township; Oscar also farms in Pigeon Township; Jennie L. died at the age of nine years; Archie is at home; Abbie married Knelland Simons of Whitehall; Lillie, Walter and Amy are at home. SOURCE – HISTORY OF TREMPEALEAU COUNTY – 1917

Back to Home Page