Directory of the County of Grey for 1865-6. (Part 7)
OWEN SOUND TO DURHAM AND MOUNT FOREST.
The great Northern highway, leading from Fergus to the waters of
Owen's Sound is known in the County of Grey as the "Garafraxa
Road;" as, when first run out it led from Garafraxa township;
then the most Northerly settlement of the Wellington District,
Northward into the wilderness. At its lower end, it is
generally called the "Owen Sound Road." It is now gravelled
throughout; the County of Grey portion having been done 4 years
ago, as a part of the County Scheme of Roads, and the
remaining portion (to a little beyond Arthur), done shortly after.
Commencing at the Eastern part of Owen Sound townplot, on the
high land overlooking the bay, we proceed South; passing, at a
distance of two miles from the town, the North American Inn,
and J. Thompson's Inn. Three miles further is Home's Inn. A mile
further, on high upland, stands "Zion Chapel," a neat place of
worship belonging to the Wesleyans. Within a mile of Johntown,
or 8 m. from O. Sound, we pass St. Paul's Church (Episcopal). Nearby,
is J. Green's Inn. At a rather romantic spot in the road we
pass over the small river Spey, an affluent of the Sydenham; and
soon come to Johntown or Chatsworth. This is 9 m. from O. Sound.
The Toronto and Sydenham Road, familiarly called the
"Toronto Line" (a diagonal road running S. E. through the County
for 40 m. and all gravelled), joins the Garafraxa Road at this
place. A mile from Johntown, the traveller sees an unenclosed
rolling stony tract on his left, and asking "why so?" is
informed that it is the village plot of Grantown-a village
which was surveyed out and sold in 1857, but has failed to be
built. About 2 m. S. of Chatsworth P. O. we come to a very
complete Ashery belonging to the estate of R. B. Conger, Esq. It
has been very little used, though intended for the manufacture
of potash on a large scale. A short distance E. of the road
at this place, are the Gristmill and Sawmill of Mr. Conger,
called by him the "Spey Mills." Three miles further on is
Sullivan P. O. Five miles from Johntown, or 14 m. from O. Sound,
and just halfway to Durham; is the viilage plot of Williamsford.
The traveller, however, will hear of it only by the name of
the "Sable." This is a general stopping place between the
two larger towns. About 5 m. from the "Sable" is "Griffin's
Corner," where is a tavern and store. Latona P. O.
(late Glenelg P. O.), is 1 1/2 m. beyond Griffin's Corner. We have
here Bentinck on the right and Glenelg on the left. From Latona
P. O. is 1 1/2 m. to Grant's tavern; then 1 m. to Donohue's Corner,
and another mile to the Rocky Saugeen, 24 1/2 m. from
O. Sound, and 3 1/2 m. from Durham. J. McIlroy's Hotel, at Rocky
Saugeen, is one of the best houses on the road. Here is also
a good Store. Here we pass the "Rocky" branch of the Saugeen,
ascend a long hill, and drive into DURHAM, 28 m. from O. Sound.
From Durham to Mt. Forest, 16 m., the road is pretty heavy for
the first half-long heavy hills, which though considerably cut
down, are yet sufficiently formidable to the teamster and
traveller. Three miles from Durham is the hamlet of
Enniskillen, where there are two taverns and a store. Four or
five miles more bring the traveller to Orchardville, a small
village halfway on the road to Mt. Forest. Between two and
three miles further he comes to Rogers' tavern and Burns'
tavern, not very far apart; having passed the store of Mrs. Buchan,
and shortly after to the "40 mile Swamp," so called, as it
is about 40 m. from Owen Sound. The next point is at Egremont P. O.
(3 m. from Mt. Forest), where are two Hotels, Cringle's and Fries',
and a good Store. Three miles more, through a prosperous settlement,
conducts him to Mount Forest; where at the tall brick Store of
D. Spence (Queen Street), he crosses the County line into Wellington.
(See also "Tables of Distances" under articles "Mount Forest" and
OWEN SOUND AND SAUGEEN GRAVEL ROAD.
This road runs nearly direct West from Owen Sound, and is
intended to connect that town with Southampton on Lake Huron.
The distance between the two towns, in a direct line, is about
22 miles. The distance, by the Stageroute through the centre
of the townships of Derby and Arran, is 32 miles. The Gravel
road reaches only to the County line of Bruce, a distance of 9
m. from Owen Sound. Here the travel turns off South toward Tara and
Invermay. The great obstacle in getting the new road opened
through to Southampton has been the Sable and Saugeen Rivers
in the route, both of which would have to be bridged; and
the latter is a large and heavy stream. A grant from Government
has, however been obtained this Spring (1865), to assist in bridging the
Saugeen, and probably in another year this shorter route to Lake Huron
will he open for travel.
At the distance of two miles from Owen Sound, the road rises
by a long cutting up the side of the rock to the tableland of
Derby, passing close to the pretty Falls of the Pottawatamie.
Jones' Sawmill and the Pottawatamie River are soon passed; and
at the distance of 8 m. from Owen Sound, we come to Alvanley P. O.
and T. Thompson's Inn. A mile further, near the end of the gravel
is C. Ekins' Inn, both in Derby.
This road is through what is called "The Half mile Strip," a
tract in Derby bordering on the township of Keppel, and
acquired from the Indians some years ago for the purpose of
running a road through it. (See "Centre Road, Derby.")
OXENDEN P. O.
A Postoffice on Colpoy's Bay (South side), about 18 m. in a
direct line from Owen Sound, about 20 by the nearest opened out
road, and some 25 by the mail route via North Keppel. It is
30 m. from Owen Sound by water. It is in the N. W. part of the
township of Keppel. There is a good settlement growing up round
it, on the recent Indian Reserve, vacated by the tribe two or
three years ago. Mail from Owen Sound (via Sarawak and N. Keppel
and enroute for Colpoy's Bay, Post offices), every Tuesday.
James Atkey, Sr., Postmaster.
A Western branch of the Nottawasaga River, rising in Melancthon,
and falling into the main Stream near Angus. It passes (then
very near its source), Horning's Mills, driving the machinery there.
Its descent from the high table land of Melancthon is astonishing;
falling hundreds of feet in a mile or two. A large amount of
waterpower, now running waste might be had from this stream.
(See "Horning's Mills.")
The name bestowed by Admiral Bayfield on the Southern outer
headland of Owen's Sound; since that day generally known as
Vail's Point;" which see.
POMONA P. O.
A Post office in township of Glenelg, 6 m. S. W. of Cornabuss P. O.
on "Toronto Line." The P. O. was established in 1862. Mail
every Saturday from Durham, distant 13 1/2 m. There is a tavern
at Pomona, John Martin, proprietor. William Martin is the Postmaster.
A small river rising, in S. W. part of Derby, and after pursuing a
N. E. course of 12 or 14 miles, falling into the waters of
Owen's Sound, near the town of that name. There are three
Sawmills on the Pottawatamie; Coulter's near the centre of
Derby, on one of its forks; Jones's, 2 m. from Owen Sound,
near the falls; and Ormiston's, between Owen Sound and Brooke,
about 1/2 mile from the mouth of the river. The river is very
deep and still for a quarter of a mile up from the mouth.
The Falls of the Pottawatamie are a short distance below Jones's
Sawmill, about 2 m. from Owen Sound town. The river falls by two
leaps twenty or thirty feet; and when the stream is full in Sping and
Fall, the sight is very pretty. It is within a gun shot of
the new Gravel Road to Saugeen. The river is a good deal
fished for trout; too much indeed, and too near the town to be
first class fishing ground for the professed angler. It derives
its name from a scattered portion of the Pottawatamie tribe
of Indians settled at Newash among the Ojibways, when the
settlements began in the neighbourhood.
A rising village of 25O inhabitants, in the S. W. part of the
township of Artemisia. It lies on the "Durham Road," 10 m. East of
Durham, where the main stream of the Saugeen River crosses the
Durham Road, the river running in this part of its course
Northwesterly. A block of 1000 acres was reserved by
Government when the Durham Road was laid out in 1848 and '49.
The "Mill Plot," containing 309 acres, was sold by the
Government some 7 years ago, to David Yeomans, now of Mount
Forest, who made the first improvement, and built a Sawmill.
Next, he built the Gristmill. The mill property afterwards
became the property of Alex. McDonald. Mr. Joseph Dickson is
the present lessee of the Flouring mill, and Mr. Donald McDonald,
of the Sawmill.
Though the townplot is nearly all taken possession of by
various parties, who have improved, fenced; and in many
instances built on their lots, it still remains in most part
the property of the Government. The Government were petitioned
last year to bring the townplot into market. They have done
so not at auction but by the usual and ordinary system of
granting Patents to parties who are bona fide occupants or
holders of the lots, on their paying a certain fixed rate.
These rates are very moderate; showing that those who squatted
on eligible lots at the right time, did "a good thing" for
themselves. Half acres on the Front Street are thus sold by the
Government for $30 each.
Priceville stands upon a piece of uneven ground, and a hilly
country is round it. The Gravel Road is made to humour the
inequalities of the ground, and even within the townplot is winding
and crooked. One of the "back streets" represents the original
line of the Durham Road. Immediately East of the townplot,
the Gravel Road bends N W toward the Toronto and Sydenham Road, leaving
the old line of the "Durham Road" altogether, and going Eastward
through the centre of Artemisia and Osprey, about 4 m. North of
the original Durham Road.
The place contains a Gristmill, Sawmill, 4 Stores, 5 Churches,
Postoffice, 2 Hotels, a Pearlash Factory, &c., with 2 Blacksmith's
Shops, 2 Waggon makers, a Tannery, 1 Cabinet maker, 1 Harness maker,
2 Tailors, 3 shoemakers, &c. There is one resident Clergyman,
and a resident Physician.
The Churches are Wesleyan Chapel, a frame building; Church of
Scotland, frame; Canada Presbyterian Church, frame (Rev. Chas. Cameron);
Baptist Chapel, frame, Rev. Robert McIntyre, Minister, lives in
Glenelg, 5 m. from Priceville; Roman Catholic Church, in course
of erection. The C. Presbyterian Church is a neat plastered
building, just finished internally, looking down the principal
street of the village. The Baptist Chapel is roughcast, and not
yet finished within.
Mails are daily, by Stage, from Durham and Collingwood. J. H. Yeomans,
Postmaster. The village is 5 miles from Flesherton, and
35 from Collingwood, 10 miles from Durham, 26 from Mt. Forest,
and 38 from Owen Sound.
Barnes, Peter, Blacksmith, Durham Road, with Alex. Webster.
Brown, Nathan, Labourer.
Brown, John, Labourer.
BEVERIDGE, PETER, Proprietor Tannery; Boot and Shoe maker.
BRITISH HOTEL, E. B. McMillan, Proprietor.
Cameron, Rev. Charles, Canada Presbyterian.
CAMERON & ROSS, General Merchants, Kincardine st.
CAMERON, JOHN (of Cameron & Ross), h. Kincardine st.
DICKSON, JOSEPH, Lessee Grist mill.
Diggs, Joseph, Cooper.
FERGUSON, WM., Local Supt. of Schools, Commissioner for taking Affidavits, J. P.
FERGUSON, ALEX., Merchant.
Green, Israel, Labourer.
Johnson, Levi, Labourer.
Johnson, Cesar, Labourer.
Johnson, Levi, Jr., Labourer.
Loudon, David, Saddler and harness maker, Kincardine st.
Melton, Zackeriah, Labourer.
Morris, John, Shoemaker, with P. Beveridge.
McMillan, C. D., Plasterer, Kincardine st.
McMillan, Arch'd, Farmer.
McMillan, E. B., Proprietor "British Hotel."
McArthur & McLean (Neil McArthur & Donald McLean), Waggon and Carriage Makers,
McARTHUR, ALEX., Proprietor "Wellington Hotel."
McAuley, John, Boot and Shoemaker.
McNeil, Al., Farmer.
McLean, Arch'd., Boot and Shoemaker.
McLachlan, Malcolm, Blacksmith, at F. Wait's.
McDONALD, DONALD, Lessee Sawmill.
McDonald, George, Tailor.
McFadyen, Duncan, Boot and Shoemaker.
McDougall, Donald, Labourer.
Park, George, Carpenter.
Robinson, John, Labourer.
SEAMAN, A. L., Physician and Surgeon, Kincardine st., near Scotch Kirk.
SIMPSON, JOHN, Cabinet and Chairmaker, Kincardine st.
Tryon, Zackeriah, Butcher, Kincardine st.
Todd, Wm., Miller, Grist mills.
Vattne, Cyril, Carpenter.
WATSON ALEX., General Merchant, Kincardine st.
WAIT, FRANCIS, General Blacksmith.
WEBSTER, ALEX., Waggon and Carriage maker, and Geneeral Blacksmith.
WRIGHT, FERGUSON, Teacher, Elgin st.
WELLINGTON HOTEL, A. McArthur, Proprietor.
YEOMANS, JOHN H., Postmaster.
YEOMANS, GEORGE M., General Merchant, Kincardine st.
PROTON P. O.
Proton is the name of a Postoffice on the Toronto and Sydenham
Gravel Road, not in but oppesite the township of Proton. The
Postoffice itself is on the Artemisia side of the road. It is 6
m. S. E. of Flesherton, and about 32 m. N. W. of Orangeville, 36 m.
to Owen Sound. There is a store by Mr. H. Armstrong; a tavern
stand belonging to Mr. Atcheson, of Sandhill; a blacksmith shop, &C.
A Wesleyan (frame) Chapel is near by, with a burying ground
attached; also, a Schoolhouse. Religious services in chapel
every Sabbath. The office of the 5th Division Court is located
here; though the Court is held at present at Flesherton.
ARMSTRONG, GEORGE, Postmaster, Commissioner for taking Affidavits.
ARMSTRONG, JOHN WESLEY, Clerk Division Court, Commissioner for
taking Affidavits, Issuer of Marriage Licenses.
ARMSTRONG, HENRY, General Dealer in Dry Goods, Groceries and Country Produce.
ARMSTRONG, FREDERICK, Bailiff 5th Division Court.
Mitchell, Henry, Blacksmith.
McGillivray, Angus, Boot amd Shoemaker.
A Township in the South Eastern part of the County of Grey;
having Artemisia on the North, Melanchton on the East, Luther
(in Wellington Co.) on the South, and Egremont on the West.
There are no Gravel or other leading Roads in Proton, with the
exception of the Toronto and Sydenham Road, which runs along its
N. E. boundary three or four miles, cutting off, as it were, a
corner of the township. The four townships of Proton,
Melanchton, Luther and Amaranth, are popularly credited with a
large amount of Swamp. And to a considerable extent, this
reputed character is correct. We have nothing special to do in
this work, with Luther and Amaranth, which are out of the County
of Grey, but Melancthon contains a large amount of swampy land,
and the same is true of Proton. The swamps are covered with a
not very heavy growth of cedar, tamarack, balsam, &c., while the
land between, composing ridges of a very few feet elevation
above the swamps, and of smaller or greater breadth, present
generally excellent land and good hardwood timber. It is little
consolation to tell a poor settler in the bush, whose land is
so moist as not to allow him to get in his Spring wheat in good
time, and where Spring frosts heave out the young plants, and
Autumn frosts, nip the crop before it is ripe, that a century
hence the district of country in which he lives will be one of
the richest grazing tracts in the Province, rivalling in
richness the Western prairies; yet such will undoubtedly be the
case. At present, his land seems to produce little but
telegraph poles, and these are not wanted.
Yet, with this drawback, there are yet many good farms and many
thrifty settlers in Proton. Since Mt. Forest has become a
large place, a good market is there afforded for farm produce,
and it is but about 15 m. to the centre of the township from
that place; and Priceville is convenient to the N. W. portion.
The Northern and Southern concessions are those best settled.
In some of the central concessions, except near the middle of
the township, there are but few settlers. And the SouthEastern
part, has but few settlers.
The population in 1861, was, by the census, 1440. If the
census was correctly taken in Proton, and the Militia Roll of
1864 complete, there can be but a very slight increase of
population in the interval, for the latter shows 289 names of
men between 18 and 60, representing a population of not over
1445; a result obtained by multiplying the number of men by 5.
Proton, was surveyed by the late David Gibson, Esq., P. L. S.,
in the, year 1850. The Ranges parallel to Toronto and Sydenham
Road were surveyed before.
Census Reports, 1861-Occupiers of lands, 252; holding under
20 acres each, 1; holding 20 to 50 acres each, 18; holding
50 to 100 acres each, 170; from 100 to 200 acres each, 52; over
200 acres each, 11. Fall Wheat raised none; Spring Wheat, 15,8O5 bushels;
Barley, 852 bushels; Pease, 3,660 bushels; Oats, 9,178 bushels;
Potatoes, 14,266 bushels; Turnips, 54,183 bushels; Grass Seed, 53 bushels;
Hay, 263 bushels [??]; Maple Sugar, 4,609 lbs.; Wool, 919 lbs.;
Butter, 16,978 lbs.; Cheese, 527 lbs.; Pork, 120 barrels.
Municipal Officers.-Reeve, Robert Montgomery (Dundalk P. O.)
Councillors, P. Ryan, D. McMillan, W. McDonald, J. W. Armstrong.
Clerk and Treasurer, John Vert (Cedarville P. O.)
Magistrates.- John McDowell, Timothy O'Calaghan, John W. Armstrong,
Wm. McDonald, John Vert, Duncan McMillan.
Schools.-S. S. No.1. Donald McAuley, Teacher. House, log.
Average attendance for 1864, 15. No Maps.
S. S. No.2. Julius Ansley, Teacher. No Maps. House, log.
Average attendance for 1864, about 10.
S.S. No.3. Not organized.
S. S. No.4. John B. Vert; Teacher. House, log.
Average attendance for 1864, about 20.
S.S. No.5. Not organized.
R. C. Separate S. No.6. Miss Doyle, Teacher. House, log. No Maps. No report.
S. S. No.7. Peter Dow, Teacher. House, log. No Maps.
Average attendance for 1864, about 20.
S. S. No.8. Robert Agnew, Teacher. House, log. No Maps.
Average attendance for 1864, about 10.
S. S. No.9. Wm. Kenzie, Teacher (1864). House, log. No Maps.
Average attendance for 1864, about 9.
Post Offices.-Ronaldsay and Cedarville. (Proton P. O. is in Artemisia.)
Churches.-There is a Wesleyan Methodist frame Chapel on the "Toronto Line,"
between Proton and Artemisia, and a Roman Catholic log Church in Proton.
Religious services are held in some of the schoolhouses.
NOTE.-The following list contains the names of all male Residents of
21 years of age and upward. We have not attempted to distinguish
"Freeholders" from "Householders," for in a township where there is
so much unpatented land, many put down as "Householders" have more
valuable interest in lands than those marked "Freeholder."
The "Old Survey" is in N. E. part of the Township, and comprises
the four Concessions or Ranges parallel to the Toronto and Sydenham Road.
The "New Survey" comprises all the rest of the township Concessions
I to XIX inclusive. The Concessions number from the South; and the
Lots from the West.
Agnew, John 1 217
Armstrong, Frederick 1 194
Armstrong, John Wesley 1 195
Armstrong, Henry 1 197
Acheson, Wm. 3 205
Allen, John 4 215
Albeck, James C. 1 232
Bowler, Giles 1 220
Bowler, Wm. 1 220
Banon, Edward 2 191
Bell, Isaac 2 214
Dixon, Arch. 2 221
Foster, Thomas 2 216
Fothergill, Chas. 3 214
Ferries, David 3 226
Grieve, John 1 236
Graham, Thomas 4 210
Gilpin, John 2 220
Goodfellow, Jas. 4 234
Hessey, Frederick 2 235
Hood, Robert 3 224
Howey, Wm. 3 225
Irwin, Christopher 2 219
Johnson, Henry 1 204
Ludlow, Richard 1 193
Lockhart, Wm. 2 193
Lockhart, Robt. 2 192
Large, John, Jr. 2 195
Large, Edward 3 195
Large, Robert 3 195
Large, John 3 194
Mitchell, Henry 1 199
Mulholland, James 1 238
Marshall, Robert 2 225
Montgomery, Andrew 4 230
McAuley, Allan 1 224
McAuley, Neil 1 225
McAuley, Angus 1 225
McAuley, Kenneth 1 223
McAuley, Norman 1 225
McDowell, John 1 230
McQuay, Wm. 3 202
McQuay, Thos. 3 201
McGillivray, Angus 3 203
McMillan, John 4 204
Noble, Edward 1 228
Nixon, James 4 219
Potter, Job 4 207
Patton, James 4 201
Rosborough, James 2 112
Roe, Andrew 3 206
Reid, Thomas 3 215
Redmond, Henry 4 224
Redmond, Sylvester 4 223
Stewart, Alex 2 198
Stewart, Andrew 2 200
Scott, John 2 196
Shean, Wm. 4 227
Sweeney, Theophilus 4 232
Talbot, Wm. 2 203
Abbott, John 14 29
Anderson, James 12 30
Anderson, John 10 29
Agnew, John 15 32
Aldcomb, Wm. 17 6
Boyd, Robert 2 5
Armstrong, Wm. 13 14
Boyd, Walter 2 9
Boyd, Wm. 3 8
Buckley, James 2 25
Buckley, Nicholas 2 26
Burke, John 2 17
Burke, Patrick 16 4
Begley, John 1 22
Beckner, Henry 2 15
Bell, Dugald 5 8
Bell, Donald 5 7
Bryce, James 7 20
Brown, John 10 6
Beaton, John 12 11
Batchelor, Samuel 14 14
Black, Robert 17 14
Broughton, Thos. 17 19
Cronan, Joseph 1 5
Cronan, Thomas 1 5
Collins, James 1 10
Creighton, John 2 18
Cosgrove, Michael 1 27
Caughlan, Timothy 3 23
Campbell, George 4 7
Connolly, Patrick 3 19
Cannon, James 4 24
Carr, John 5 17
Clary, Thomas 5 21
Connolly, Michael 8 26
Crabbe, Wm. 9 17
Campbell, George 14 13
Campbell, John 11 11
Campbell, John 16 6
Campbell, Thomas 14 12
Campbell, John 15 12
Cook, Thomas 14 20
Canary, John 13 33
Coylan, John 16 30
Clark, Charles 11 40
Dow, Peter 17 9
Dunn, Andrew 10 21
Doyle, James 1 17
Dunn, Wm. 7 19
Dezell, Wm. 11 7
Dinsmore, Henry 14 22
Donald, Dugald 15 6
Douglas, John 16 16
Deer, David 11 39
Daly, James 6 19
Driscol, F. 4 18
Dyce, James 10 2
Dyce, Wm. 10 2
Egan, Thomas 19 11
Egan, Wm. 19 14
Egan, James 5 16
Espall, John 11 13
Edgeston, Wm. 13 28
Ekins, M. 11 26
Fenstone, James 3 3
Fraser, Thomas 9
Fraser, John 9
Fraser, James 9
Fettis, James 10 16
Fettis, Peter 10 13
Fellas, Peter 11 16
Fullarton, Arch'd. 12 8
Fullarton, Neil 12 9
Ferguson, John 15 7
Ferguson, Arch'd 15 3
Ferguson, John 16 15
Ferguson, Duncan 17 15
Ferguson, Donald 18 1
Ferguson, John 19 1
Ferguson, Alex 19 1
Ferris, John 16 14
Ferris, Robert 18 8
Flood, Patrick 17 4
Farnena, John 10 25
Farnen, Thomas 10 26
Fraser, Alex 11 32
Gillespie, Robert 6 4
Gillespie, John 7 5
Gorman, Patrick 7 18
Gillies, Alex 7 14
Gillies, Allan 14 7
Hogan, John 7 19
Halloran, Michael 12 15
Hodgskinson, Wm. 15 33
Hannan, Samuel 16 9
Hannan, Henry 16 3
Hare, Michael 16 7
Hetherington, John 17 10
Hoggin, Hugh 18 28
Jack, Peter 10 19
Jack, James 9 14
Jack, Wm. 9 15
Jackson, David 19 5
Johnson, George 10 32
Johnson, Thomas 10 32
Johnson, Kerby 10 32
Kelly, Michael 2 14
Kelly, James 2
Kelly, Francis 1 23
Knox, Wm. 17 7
Knox, Wm. 19 8
Lowry, George 3 5
Lowry, Robert 2 6
Lowry, James 2 7
Loughlin, Bart 1 7
Little, Wm. 16 28
Little, Robert 16 29
Lunan, Michael 19 2
Menzies, Duncan 5 9
Menzies, John 5 13
Menzies, Robert 5 14
Moore, Nicholas 4 24
Murphy, Thomas 6 27
Murphy, James 7 29
Mason, Blackwell 14 22
Mitchell, Wm. 15 15
Mills, Wm. 13 18
Milner, Johnson 14 6
Meagher, Thomas 17 8
Montgomery, Robert 11 38
McMahon, Thomas 1 18
McLachlan, Neil 12 32
McLachlan, James 3 4
McLachlin, John 12 34
McEachern, John 4 4
McEachern, Malcolm 4 2
McDiven, Robt. 4 14
McIntosh, John 5 10
McNortney, Nicholas 3 18
McDonald, Alex 13 7
McDonald, John 11 14
McDonald, John 5 4
McDonald, Wm. 11 15
McDonald, Wm. 9 20
McDonald, Donald 13 3
McDonald, Allan 12 7
McDonald, Donald 15 1
McDonald, Archd 16 5
McDonald, John 17 2
McDonald, John 19 7
McLaren, Wm. 10 8
McLaren, Alex 19 3
McLaren, Arch'd 19 3
McKechnie, John 12 6
McKechnie, Alex 12 5
McKechnie, Neil 13 5
McKay, Lachlan 13 37
McFadden, Neil 14 2
McFadden, Hugh 18 3
McLean, Alex 14 5
McLean, Alex 15 4
McLean, Hugh 15 5
McPhail, Alex 12 2
McGillivray, Malcolm 12 16
McInnis, John 13 2
McMiller, John 14 4
McMiller, Neil 14 4
McArthur, Malcolm 12 10
McMurdo, James 14 16
McClennan, Wm. 11 35
McClennan, John 11 36
McClennan, Dugald 11 36
McPherson, Alex 7 6
McSkinnery, Roderick 18 5
McMillan, Duncan 16 13
McLellan, John 17 1
McIntyre, Alex 17 3
McQuarry, Hector 10 33
McPhee, John 4 10
McEwen, Howey 5 6
Noonan, Michael 19 4
Nichol, James 11 2
O'Callaghan, Timothy 1 14
O'Shean, Maurice 2 17
O'Donnell, Michael 5 32
O'Donnell, James 5 23
O'Phelan, Jeremiah 4 25
O'Phelan, Patrick 4 26
Ogilvie, A.W. 8 39
Phelan, Michael 5 24
Porter, John 18 7
Patton, Robert 19 9
Patton, Hugh 16 8
Pride, David 2 13
Pickett, Wm. 4 20
Pallister, George 12 23
Paisley, Richard 15 9
Paisley, Robert 14 8
Paisley, Thomas 15 10
Quinn, Arthur 17 29
Quinn, Robert 17 30
Ready, Thomas 4 17
Ready, Michael 3 22
Rice, Daniel 3 24
Rice, John 3 25
Rogers, Wm. T 5 2
Rogers, John 9 21
Ryan, Wm. 6 20
Ryan, Patrick 6 21
Ryan, Martin 7 22
Russell, Alex 10 12
Reynold, Samuel 14 3
Reynold, Robert 14 3
Robertson, James 16 32
Richardson, John 18 12
Richardson, Joseph 18 11
Stephens, James 5 18
Stephens, Alex 4 19
Shea, Michael 3 14
Smith, James 9 18
Scott, George 11 5
Shaw, Michael 10 14
Sturrock, David 11 8
Sturrock, George 11 9
Scarlett, John 13 13
Stewart, Robert 18 6
Stewart, Angus 12 37
Stokes, Samuel 15 27
Wakely, Jabez 15 29
Wnght, James 6 17
Wilson, George 6 25
Walker, Aaron 16 27
Walker, Peter 5 19
Wolfe, John 3 21
RAVENNA P. O.
A Postoffice in the township of Collingwood, established in
June, 1864. William Reid, Postmaster. It is 11 m. from
Collingwood Harbour, 7 m. from Thornbury, and about 35 m. from
Owen Sound. It is supplied with a weekly mail (on Saturday),
from Clarksburg. Being somewhat central for the whole township,
the Township Council meet at Ravenna; generally once a month.
Ravenna is in an old settled part of the township; the land in
the vicinity is good clay soil. There is a Blacksmiths' Shop
and Shoemakers' Shop at the place and two Sawmills in the
neighbourhood. An Episcopal Church within 3 miles, and
Wesleyan Chapel about 2 m. distant.
ROCKY SAUGEEN RIVER.
A well known branch of the Saugeen, crossing the Garafraxa Road
3 1/2 m. N. of Durham. So named from the circumstance of the road
passing through an exceedingly rocky or stony piece of ground
just at the crossing of the river. Its course resembles
very much that of the other branches of the same river;
a pretty swift current, over a hard bottom of limestone pebbles.
The farthest reaching branch rises in Artemisia, in the vicinity
of the Toronto Line. Other branches rise in some small lakes in
Glenelg. It flows through the latter township in a S. W.
direction, and after crossing the Garafraxa Road into Bentinck,
joins the main stream of the Saugeen near Dalglish's Sawmill,
about 4 m. from Durham. About 5 m. above the bridge at the
Garafraxa Road are the Falls of the Rocky Saugeen. (See Glenelg
Falls.) There are five Sawmills on the river; Travis's,
Rowswell's, Chaffey's, Dinsmore's, and Dalglish's; and two
Flouring mills, Chaffey's and McIlroy's, as also a Carding and
Fulling mill at Chaffey's. Its whole course (we can only give
an approximation), may be about 25 miles.
"ROCKY SAUGEEN" MILLS.
Close by where the Rocky Saugeen crosses the Garafraxa Road,
stands the popular and well known Hotel of John McIlroy. There is
also a Store close by, a branch establishment of Messrs. Vickers
& Johnson, of Owen Sound. A short distance S. of the road are
Mr. Melroy's Flouring mills, the "Rocky Saugeen Mills," a
substantial stone building, with 4 run of stones, and abundant
waterpower. Distance from Owen Sound about 25 m., from Durham,
3 1/2. The Hotel and Store are on the Glenelg side of the road;
the Mills are in Bentinck. As business begins to centre round
the Mills, Hotel and Store, a Postoffice will probably be
established before long. Durham is the nearest P. O. at present.
Dinsmore's Sawmill is a short distance upstream.
Diusmore, John, Farmer and Sawmill Proprietor.
Gray, William, Miller.
Irwin, Robert, Farmer.
Johnson, Daniel (of Vickers & Johnson).
Mighton, Charles, Farmer.
McILROY, JOHN, Hotel Proprietor; Proprietor Flouring Mills.
McKechnie, Archibald, Farmer.
VICKERS & JOHNSON, General Dealers in Dry Goods, Groceries,
and Country Produce.
RONALDSAY P. O.
A Postoffice in the township of Proton; about 10 m. S. of
Priceville in Artemisia, from whence it is supplied with mails
every Saturday. Joseph McArdle, Postmaster.
This River is properly "Aux Sable of the North," to distinguish
it from the Sable River emptying into Lake Huron in the township
of Bosanquet, between Sarnia and Bayfield.
The river under review rises a little South of the centre of the
township of Sullivan; and after giving power to Conger's
Sawmill, near Marmion P. O., flows Westerly into Elderslie in
County of Bruce; and then Northerly (passing Invermay and Tara),
through the townships of Arran and Amabel, till it falls into
Lake Huron a little South of Chief's Point and the Fishing
Islands. Just before reaching the Lake, it receives Pike River,
the outlet of a chain of small lakes occupying the watershed
between Colpoy's Bay and Lake Huron. At the junction is a fine
water privilege; but the neighbourhood is scarcely as yet
settled. The Sable also drains Arran Lake, in the township of
that name and (except when the Summer heats have dried up the
outlet), Shallow Lake and several others communicating with it,
in the township of Keppel. The Sable is a noted trout stream.
It is not navigable though, like the Saugeen, it has some deep
water near its mouth.
The "SABLE," of which the traveller hears, 14 m. S. of Owen Sound,
(see "Williamsford"), and which he sees crossing the
Garafraxa Road at Strathry's Sawmill-a beautiful broad stream of
clear water, brawling over a pebbly bed, is the Northern Fork of
the Saugeen. The naming it "Sable" was a mistake of McDonald's
in running out tbe Garafraxa Road in 1841; (see "Maitland.")
Though, from the force of old association, it generally
continues to be called the "Sable," it is now pretty well known
to be a Saugeen. From Strathy's Mill it runs W. S. W. to Scone P. O.,
turning Bearman's Sawmill and Elliot's Grist mill, in
Elderslie, and from thence it runs W. and N. W., till it falls
into the Saugeen a little below Paisley. Many people near its
source, in Holland township, still believe it to be the Sable;
just as some people still believe the Southern Fork of the Saugeen
to be the Maitland-but both are equally wrong.
SARAWAK P. O.
A post office near the shore of Owen's Sound, in the township of
Sarawak, distant about 10 miles from the town of Owen Sound,
from whence it is supplied with mails every Monday. The
Post office was established in 1863, Benjamin Jones being
appointed Postmaster. John McKenzie now acts in that capacity.
Though only settled 7 years, the neighbourhood is rapidly
becoming a fine and prosperous settlement.
In 1855, the Indians residing at Newash and Saugeen, chiefly
Ojibways, surrendered to the Government the title to the Saugeen
Peninsula, (now surveyed into the townships of Sarawak, Keppel,
Amabel, Albermarle, Eastnor, Lindsay and St. Edmund, the
latter three as yet uninhabited,) with the exception of a
Reserve at Saugeen and another at Owen Sound. The latter
Reserve had 9 miles frontage on the waters of the Sound,
with a depth of between 2 and 3 miles. Becoming discontent,
and perhaps thinking that their annuities would be greatly
increased by handing over this Reserve, also, the Newash
band, in 1851, accepted the offer of the Government
to erect houses for them and locate them at Cape Croker, and
surrendered the Newash Reserve. It was immediately surveyed, and
was sold at auction at Owen Sound in September, 1857, along with such
portions of the townships sold the year before as yet remained in
the hands of the Government. It received the name of Sarawak, in
honour of Major Brooke, the English "Rajah of Sarawak." (See" Newash.")
Sarawak is a small township, perhaps the smallest in Upper Canada,
and might very well have been added to Keppel, which bounds
it on the North and West. It is united to Keppel, for
Municipal purposes. The official title of the United
Municipality, is more sounding than convenient "The United
Townships of Keppel, and Sarawak, and Townplot of Brooke."
This little township, lying so handsomely on the shores of
Owen's Sound, within easy reach of the town, and presenting on
the whole, tolerably good land (some very good, other portions a
little stony), soon began to fill up with settlers; the majority
of them came from the older settlements "down below" (as they
themselves would term it), and knew just how to go to work to
make a good township out of a wilderness. Sarawak has
three Concessions, lengthwise of the township. That nearest
the shore is called the "third" Concession. Between, the 2nd
and 3rd Concessions, a leading road has been well cleared out
and improved, and will soon be, all the year round, as it now
is in winter, a very good road.
There is only one Post office "Sarawak" as yet. The Council
the United Townships meet at Brooke.
Municipal Officers, Magistrates and Schools, in the United
Municipality, are noted under Keppel (which see.)
The following list (from Roll of 1864), scarcely does
justice to the township, as a good many settlers have come in
within the last few months; but it is impossible to obtain later
statistics than those we are using.
Armstrong, Wm. 2 35
Armstrong, John 2 36
Breen, John 1 8
Brown, Wm. 3 22
Chambers, John 3 38
Dodds, James 1 34
Dodds, Joseph 1 34
Elliot, John 1 12
Elliot, Walter 1 12
Elliot, Thomas 1 19
Gerolamy, George 2 14
Garvie, Wm. 1 37
Huston, W., Innkeeper 2 30
Julian, Charles 3 36
Julian, Robert 3 36
Jones, Rev. Benj., W., Methodist 3 43
Kirk, Edward 3 23
Kirk, Henry 3 23
Kipp, Wm. 3 29
Kidd, James 3 12
Lee, Wm. 3 21
Lundy, Joseph 3 27
Lee, Wm. Carpenter 1 29
Lethbridge Robt., Mason 1 27
Lethbridge, H. Mason 1 27
Moock, Ernest 3 13
Mallard, David, Sr. 3 16
Mallard, David, Jr. 2 16
Munro, Donald, Carpenter 1 14
Mutart, Angus 1 15
Mutart, John 1 15
Morton, John 2 21
McClellan, Wm. 1 11
McPherson, Alex 1 15
McLeod, Finlay 1 23
McLeod, Duncan 1 24
McAllister, Duncan 1 25
McKenzie, Jas., Black smith 2 24
McKenzie, John 3 41
McNaught, Wm. 3 26
McNaught, Robert 3 26
McNaught, James 2 25
McNaught, Duncan 3 25
McVannel, John 3 30
McIntyre, Dugald 1 28
McIntyre, Arch'd 2 31
McCabe, Henry, Mason. 3 17
Nicol, Charles 1 17
Ross, George 1 18
Ross, Colin 1 18
Sheerman, Isaiah 2 21
Sidlar, Martin 2 29
Seldon, Wm. 1 33
Sutton, Wm. 3 33
Valentine, Thomas 3 42
Vandusen, Henry 2 12
Webb, George, Cooper 3 13
White, James Jr. 1 10
Whinfield, James 3 40
The Saugeen, though not a navigable river, is one of the three or
four larger streams found in the Western part of Upper Canada. It
rises in Osprey, not far from the old "Durham Road," and flows
with a general West course through Osprey, Artemisia, Glenelg,
Bentinck and Brant to Walkerton, thence with a general Northerly
course to Southampton, where it empties into Lake Huron. Its course
is very devious, from its source to Walkerton is about 40 m.
in a direct line, and from that town to the mouth of the River is
about 70 m. for the course of the River; yet, from its many windings,
it must flow over 100 miles. The Saugeen is remarkable for its many branches.
It has no fewer than five large tributaries, some of them dignified with the
appellation of "Rivers." In the County of Grey, on the main
stream, are the villages of Priceville, Durham and Hanover; on
the South Fork (the so called "Maitland" of former days), are
Cedarville, Mount Forest, Ayton and Neustadt. The Saugeen,
and all its numerous branches, present an almost unlimited
number of water privileges; not a tithe of which are as yet
used for manufacturing. Normanby, Egremont, Glenelg and Bentinck,
in the county of Grey, are wholly drained by the Saugeen, and Proton,
Melancthon, Osprey, Artemisia, Holland and Sullivan, partially. Most of the
branches of the Saugeen have been used, during the last two or
three years, for floating down elm timber, intended for the
St. Lawrence; and all of them are more or less visited in the season
by anglers, for trout fishing has become all the fashion of
late in the Northwest. At the mouth of the Saugeen, a pier has
been projected into the Lake, which not only gives shelter
to vessels entering, but by narrowing the channel, tends to
deepen the water over the bar. The depth, however, is not
great, and large vessels do not often come into the river.
Half a mile up from the mouth, swift water is reached.
The bottom of the Saugeen is generally hard; full of limestone
pebbles, such as are found in red clay. The limestone rock of
the region occasionally crops out on its banks. On the banks of
the river in the vicinity of Walkerton in the county of Bruce,
two valuable discoveries have been made lately-the existence of
Hydraulic Cement and Lithographic Stone. Both these are found
there; and may yet become a source of wealth and employment to many.
Shallow Lake is a small sheet of water in the township of
Keppel, about, 9 miles from the town of Owen Sound. It is
about a mile long, and nearly as broad. It receives a
considerable stream from the N., the outlet of some small lakes,
as well as a stream from the south, and communicates with the
Sable river Westward by way of outlet. In point of fact,
however, the lake is a dry bed of thin, coarse grass with a
slippery, chalky soil, full of boulders and rocks, for several
months in the year. Hence the name "Shallow Lake," as the
waters are at no time deep.
The bottom has been found to be a chalk deposit of considerable
depth, and may sometime become valuable. The lake might be
easily drained and turned into pasture.
Shrigley is the name of a new Post office, in the township of
Melancthon; established 1st of January, 1865. It is 12 m.
from Singhampton, where it is supplied with mails every Saturday.
A rising village on the County line, between Grey and Simcoe,
partly in Osprey and partly in Nottawasaga townships; the principal
steet being the County line. Water power is furnished by the Mad River,
a tributary of the Nottawasaga, which flows through the village.
There are said to be no water privileges on the Mad River above
Singhampton, but any number immediately below. The mills were built
about ten years ago. They consist of a Gristmill, with two run of stones,
and a Sawmill. A Fulling and Carding mill was unfortunately destroyed
by fire in 1864, and is not yet rebuilt. The village, under the name of
Singhampton, was laid out in 1856 by Messrs. C. R. and J. R. Sing,
whose property the village site and mills were. During the next year
or two a considerable improvement was manifested in the place, and it
still grows. For some years after its first establishment the Post office
was called "Mad River Mills P. O.," but has been changed to "Singhampton."
The mills are about 1/4 m. East of the principal street, and are in the
township of Nottawagaga. The Post office, Store and Common School
are also on the Simcoe side. There are two very good Hotels in the place;
also 2 Blacksmiths, 1 shoemaker, 1 Weaver, 1 Waggonmaker, 1 Limeburner,
2 Carpenters, &c.
The Gravel Road running East from Durham toward Collingwood,
strikes the County line 1/2 m. S. of Singhampton, and the gravel
ends there. The traffic then continues South through the
village, and then turns off East again to Hurontario street,
leading to Collingwood.
Singhampton is 13 m. from Collingwood, 6 m. from Bowmore, 10 m. from
Nottawasaga Station. Westward, it is about 8 miles to Maxwell, 17. m.
to Flesherton, 22 to Priceville, and 32 to Durham.
The Schoolhouse, a comfortable stone building, with a large attendance
of pupils, is used on Sabbath by the Canada Presbyterians
(Rev. James Greenfield) every four weeks; and by the W. Methodists
(Rev. D. E. Brownell) every two weeks; and occasionally by other denominations.
There are in the village a Lodge of the Loyal Orange Institution (No. 586),
and a Lodge of British American Good Templars. Mails are daily to and
from Durham and Collingwood and intermediate places; and once a week
(Saturday) to and from Osprey and Horning's Mills Post offices.
Algeo, James, Boot and Shoemaker.
BELL, ANGUS, Conveyancer, Issuer of Marriage Licences, Township Clerk
of Nottawagaga, Asoociate Coroner for Grey and Simcoe.
Bell, Ronald, Licensed Auctioneer.
Grant, David, Carpenter, J. P. for Co. Simooe.
Glenning, Edward, Miller.
HAMILTON, JAMES, General Dealer in Dry Goods, Groceries, Country Produce, &c.
Hilts, Frederick, Lime burner.
Kitchen, Robert, Blacksmith.
Lang, Alexander, Weaver.
Lang, John, Labourer.
McDougall, Thomas, Blacksmith.
McDonald, Neil, Teacher, bds. "Royal Hotel."
OUGH, JOHN, Proprietor, "Royal Hotel."
ROYAL HOTEL, John Ough, Proprietor.
Richardson, Alonzo, Waggon maker.
Richmond, Mrs., Tailoress.
SING, JOSIAH R., Postmaster.
STINSON, JOHN, Proprietor, "Victoria Inn."
VICTORIA INN, John Stinson, Proprietor.
A very small river, rising in Holland and, after giving motion
to Conger's Mills ("Spey Mills"), flowing N. W. into Derby, and
falling into the Sydenham River. It passes a few hundred
yards East of Johntown, but, unfortunately, has not fall enough,
at that place for any useful purpose.
The Spey Mills are situated in the township of Holland, about 1/4 m.
East of the Garafraxa Road, 2 m. from Chatsworth P. O. and 3 m. from
Sullivan P. O. They are more generally known as Congers Mills, after
the name of the proprietor, R. B. Conger, of Picton. The Mills are
on the small river Spey. The Grist mill has one run of stones. A Sawmill
is also in connection with the Gristmill, capable of cutting 3,000 feet
of lumber in 12 hours. The mills are on Lot 9, on 1st Concession E. of
Handley, Newlove, Miller.
Tompsett, Wm., Farmer.
Squaw Point is a low cape projecting into Owen's Sound from the
Eastern side, about 4 m. from the County Town. The "Sound" is
about two miles wide at that place. Squaw Point is the Northern
limit of Owen Sound Town plot. Inside Squaw Point is considered
the "Harbour." As a part of the survey of the town,
Chas. Rankin,. Esq., P. L. S., was instructed to sound and examine
the Harbour, all inside this Point, in 1837. The Point is
covered with a dense growth of small cedar and balsam, while
a little nearer the town the shores become marshy. Half a mile
from the Point the shore is again firm and dry. A quarter of
a mile behind the Point, and out of sight from the town, is
Butchart's Steam Sawmill, on a little bay that opens out to
the North. Leith lies about two miles N. E.
ST. VINCENT P. O.
The name "St. Vincent" has continued to be applied to the P. O.
at Meaford to the present time, though it ought to have been
changed years ago. (See "Meaford.")
ST. VINCENT TOWNSHIP.
St. Vincent is one of the Northern townships of the County of
Grey, being bounded on the North and East by Georgian Bay,
South by Euphrasia, and West by Sydenham. It is the oldest, and
one of the best, townships in the County. Surveyed in 1833 and
settled extensively in 1834 and following years, at a time
there was comparatively little immigration, it was taken up
largely by people from the older settlements, who came, if not
with means, at least with Canadian experience, and knew how
to make the best of a backwoods township.
It was surveyed in 1833, the same year that Collingwood
township was laid out. Chas. Rankin was the Surveyor. The
Government, at that time, did not profess to have extinguished
the Indian title to the lands further West than the
perpendicular line bounding St. Vincent and Euphrasia on the
West. Many retired Military and Naval officers drew allotments
of land in Collingwood and St. Vincent; chiefly in Collingwood,
as it was not quite so far removed from civilization. A Captain
was entitled to 900 acres. Much of the land scrip, however,
passed into the hands of speculators. The early settlers have
many stories to tell of hardships and discomforts in the bush,
so far removed from other and older settlements. Every year,
however, made matters better, and when about 1842, settlements West
of them began, the people in St. Vincent were able in some degree to
be a "base of supplies" for their newer neighbours.
The land is generally rolling; the timber maple, elm, and
beech, with occasional cedar swamps; the soil clay, but not
too heavy. St. Vincent has always produced a considerable amount
of Fall Wheat, standing in this respect second among the
townships of Grey in 1861. It might be to the advantage of
the other townships to dispute this distinction with
Collingwood, St. Vincent, Euphrasia, and Sydenham, which four
townships reported in 1861, 27,747 bushels, against 5,642 bushels
for all the other 13 townships. The amount was not very large for
the four, but it was very small for the thirteen.
In consequence of its early settlement, St. Vincent presents many very
fine farms as the traveller passes along the various Concession lines.
Much attention has been paid to the Roads. It has been the practice for
several years to appropriate about $500 to each of the five Wards, for
Local Improvements. These sums, in addition to the Statutory labour on
the Roads, ought to keep them in model repair; but the amounts are not,
perhaps, always expended to the best advantage. The township Corporation
possesses a fine new brick Town Hall at Meaford, erected in 1864, and a
Wharf with Storehouse attached, built about 8 years ago, and under lease
at present to Mr. L. Menere.
In 1861, the number of acres of land held in the township, is
set down in the Census at 35,463; in 1864, the number of acres
held was 64,393; of which 51,176 acres were held by residents and
13,217 acres by non-residents.
St. Vincent contains the villages of Meaford, Griersville, and
Cape Rich. Four Post offices; at the three villages just
named, and Leavens P. O. There is a commodious brick Chapel (W. Methodist),
on the "9th Line," built a year or two ago; and some tasteful Schoolhouses.
There are several Sawing and other Mills in the township, viz;
C. R. Sing's Sawmill, and Fulling and Carding mill on the Big Head river
(6th Con. Lot 14,) about a mile above Meaford; on lot 12 on 6th
Concession, the Sawmill and Factory of Messrs. Trout and Jay,
where Rakes, Grain Cradles, and Laths are manufactured to a
large extent; T. N. Converse's Sawmill, on 9th Concession; and
Marshall B. Purdy's Sawmill, on lot 11, Concession 11. It will be
understood that in these statistics we do not include Meaford.
Census Returns, 1881 (including Meaford).-Population, 2,993; Natives
of England and Wales, 290; Natives of Scotland, 140; Natives of Ireland, 297;
Natives of Canada, 2,145; all other Countries, 121.
Occupiers of Lands in 1861, 338; holding less than 50 acres each, 100;
holding from 50 to 100 acres each, 160; holding from 100 to 200 acres
each, 63; holding over 200 acres each, 15.
Fall Wheat produced, 6,359 bushels; Spring Wheat, 67,115 bushels;
Barley, 3,438 bushels; Pease, 21,198 bushels; Oats, 31,191 bushels;
Buckwheat, 327 bushels; Indian Corn, 817 bushels; Potatoes, 40,844 bushels;
Turnips, 38,670 bushels; Grass Seeds, 644 bushels; Hay, 2,323 tons;
Maple Sugar, 33,483 lbs.; Wool, 6,639 lbs.; Butter, 59,586 lbs.;
Cheese, 2,605 lbs.; Pork, 1,080 barrels; Fish (salt), 560 quintals;
Do., fresh, 2,972 lbs.
Name.-When first surveyed, the township was called Zero, from
the fact of its being the farthest North territory acquired from
the Indians in that direction; but this name was changed to
St. Vincent; and "Alta" to Collingwood, by the Governor,
Sir John Colborne, at the suggestion of Capt. Moberly, who had
drawn his allotment of land in "Alta."
Municipal Officers.-Reeve, James Stewart (St. Vincent P. O.);
Deputy Reeve, D. McLaren, (Cape Rich P. O.)
Councillors, Samuel Eagles, Jas. Drummond, Cyrus R. Sing.
Clerk, John Albery (St. Vincent P. O.)
Treasurer, John Williams (St. Vincent P. O.)
Magistrates, James Grier, William Corley, Samuel Eagles, James Robertson,
F. R. Tottenham, David Seaman, Frederick Clark, John Williams, James Corley,
William Watson, Charles Robinson, Samuel Saunders.
Schools.-There are 15 Common Schools in the township. Our reports
are for 1864.
Union S. S. No.1. Mary Maynard, Teacher. House, frame. Average attendance
for 1864, about 15. (Section partly in Collingwood township.)
S.S. No.1 (Meaford). Hiram Brown, Teacher. House, frame.
Furnished with Maps. Average attendance for 1864, about 48.
S. S. No. 1, North (Meaford). Arthur Collins, Teacher. House, frame.
Furnished with Maps. Average attendance for 1864, about 53.
S. S. No. 1, South. James Milne, Teacher. House, frame.
Furnished with Maps and Globe. Average attendance for 1864, about 20.
S. S. No. 3. James Collins, teacher. House, log.
Furnished with Maps. Average attendance for 1864, about 22.
S. S. No. 4. Mary Seaman, Teacher. House, log. Furnished with Maps.
Average attendance for 1864, about 12.
S. S. No. 5, North. Nelson Saunders, Teacher. House, log.
Furnished with Maps. Average attendance for 1864, about 16.
S.S. No.5. Adam S. Stephens, teacher. House, log. Furnished with Maps.
Average attendance for 1864, about 20.
S. S No. 6, North. Henry Ball, Teacher. House, log.
Furnished with Maps. Average attendance for 1864, about 17.
S. 5. No.6. B. J. F. Trotter, Teacher. House, frame. Furnished
with Maps and Globe. Average attendance for 1864, about 45.
S. S. No. 7. Alfred Gifford, Teacher. House, frame. Furnished
with Maps. Average attendance for 1864, about 16.
S. S. No.10. Mary J. Batty, Teacher. House, frame. Furnished
with Maps. Average attendance for 1864, about 26.
S. S. No.11. Hiram Converse, Teacher. House, log. Furnished
with Maps. Average attendance for 1864, about 39.
S. S. No. 12. Elizabeth A. Williams, Teacher. House, log.
Furnished with Maps. Average attendance for 1864, about 13.
S. S. No 13. Harriet S. Saunders, Teacher. House, log.
Furnished with Maps and Globe. Average attendance for 1864, about 23.
S. S. No.14. George Lindsay, Teacher. House, stone. Furnished
with Maps and Globe. Average attendance for 1864, about 39.
Agricultural Society.-St Vincent has a well established Agricultural
Society, holding an Exhibition every Autumn. John Albery, Secretary
(St. Vincent P. O.)
NOTE.-In the following list, "f" denotes Freeholder, and "h"
Householder. Residents of Meaford are not included, except
the names of a few who are also landholders in the township.
Andrews, M. S., Sawyer f 1 1
Andrews, Hiram f 1 1
Allen, Wm. f 12 18
Abercrombie, Jas. h 4 8
Armitage, Isaac h 8 14
Aschcroft, Morris f 10 27
Acheson, Samuel f 9 13
Agar, James f 10 30
Agar, Thomas f 9 31
Adams, Wm. h 8 36
Adams, John h 9 31
Adams, James f 10 36
Atkins, James f 10 21
Atkins, Joseph, Sr. f 9 25
Atkins, Wm. f 10 26
Atkins, Wm., Carpenter f 7 18
Atkins, John f 10 28
Atkins, Robert f 9 26
Atkins, Joseph, Jr. f 9 27
Anderson, Alex f 11 38
Almond, Edward f 12 36
Arthur, James f 9 20
Arthur, John f 9 20
Arthur, George H. f 9 20
Arthur, Wm. T. f 9 20
Bole, Francis f 9 7
Bole, James f 2 4
Bole, James, Sr. f 3 4
Barry, Robert f 2 10
Bell, Robert f 4 6
Bell, Joseph, Sr. f 3 7
Bell, James f 3 7
Bell, Robert f 3 7
Bell, Joseph, Jr. f 3 7
Bell, Elanor f 4 6
Black, Donald h 4 2
Blanchard, Sandford f 11 16
Blanchard, Arch. f 4 8
Blanchard, Asa f 8 19
Brewster, Arch. f 4 8
Brinkman, Wm. f 5 3
Burchill, George f 9 10
Burchill, Jason f 8 28
Burchill, Henry H. 1 6 4
Burchill, Wesley h 8 9
Boyce, Benj. f 6 15
Bowerman, Thos., Blacksmith f 6 15
Bowerman, Elijah f 10 14
Bowerman, Stephen f 10 15
Brunger, Stephen, carpenter f 6 20
Buckley, Wm. f 7 7
Buckley, Richard f 7 7
Buckley, James f 7 7
Burley, Freeman f 7 11
Burley, Wm. f 7 11
Burley, John f 7 11
Burley, Allison f 7 11
Burley, John J. f 7 12
Bragg, Joseph f 8 25
Bragg, Walter f 7 27
Bragg, John f 8 24
Baxter, John f 8 4
Baxter, James f 8 4
Brown, Mark f 8 7
Brown, Robert f 10 18
Brown, Charles f 12 34
Brown, Thomas f 12 34
Bumstead, Chas. f 8 24
Bumstead, Wm. f 10 24
Bumstead, Samuel f 10 24
Bumstead, Rix f 10 25
Bumstead, Edward f 10 25
Batty, Wm. f 9 8
Bonsteil, David f 12 39
Butters, Jos., Sawyer h 9 11
Bond, Hiram f 9 23
Boucher, Francis f 9 12
Baker, Joseph f 12 18
Baker, John f 11 12
Baker, Wm. f 9 17
Baker, Henry f 10 8
Baker, Frederick f 11 12
Baker, Wm. f 11 12
Borders, Richard h 10 21
Bray, Francis f 10 30
Bowes, James, Sr. f 11 3
Bowes, James, Jr. f 11 3
Bowes, Lawrence f 11 3
Bellshaw, Richard f 11 6
Bell, George h 11 13
Burnet, James H. f 11 14
Burnet, Walter f 12 12
Bull, Peter f 11 14
Bull, George f 11 15
Bull, Stephen f 12 11
Brason, John f 12 7
Burritt, Rufus f 12 19
Crookshank, Carl h 1 4
Carnahan, David f 4 10
Carnahan, Arch. f 4 10
Carnahan, Wm. f 4 10
Carnahan, John f 4 13
Carnahan, Wm. f 4 13
Chartres, James f 4 11
Corley, James f 4 11
Corley, Wm. f 4 13
Corley, Alex f 5 12
Clifton, Thomas B. f 4 12
Chadwick, Rupert f 4 13
Cox, Wm. h 4 14
Cox, Jos., Blacksmith f 6 19
Cox, Geo., Sawyer f 6 20
Cox, Richard f 7 31
Clark, James f 5 1
Clark, Wm. f 5 1
Clark, Ebenezer f 5 10
Clark, Frederick f 7 27
Culberson, Alex f 5 7
Culberson, Edward f 5 7
Chambers, John, Bricklayer f 6 19
Crozier, Richard h 7 9
Cronan, Thomas f 7 11
Carson, Robt., Miller f 7 38
Carson, James, Jr. f 8 37
Carson, David f 8 37
Cunningham, Reuben f 8 21
Cunningham, Stephen f 9 19
Cummings, Arch. h 8 36
Challis, John f 11 19
Converse, Thos. M. f 9 11
Converse, Thos. N. f 9 11
Converse, Hiram J. Teacher f 11 15
Cattle, John f 10 1
Cooper, Wm. f 10 28
Corbet, Thomas h 11 7
Corbet, Henry Tailor f 11 12
Cameron, Hugh f 12 38
Cameron, Wm. f 12 38
Dawn, Jonathan f 2 2
Degan, John f 4 10
Duxberry, John f 7 25
Doran, Archelaus f 7 38
Doran, James f 8 18
Doran, Zackeriah f 12 11
Doran, John f 12 12
Douglas, John f 9 2
Douglas, Wm. f 9 3
Douglas, James f 10 3
Durant, Wm. h 9 37
Durant, Stephen f 8 22
Drake, James f 10 3
Doan, Wm. f 10 36
Doherty, Thomas f 10 10
Doherty, John f 10 10
Doherty, James f 11 10
Doherty, George f 8 7
Doherty, Joseph f 8 7
Donald, James f 11 1
Downing, W. J. f 12 17
Ellis, George, Sr. f 7 20
Ellis, George, Jr. f 7 20
Ellis, Thomas f 7 20
Ellis, Charles f 6 20
Ellis, James f 7 20
Emery, Peter f 6 20
Emery, James f 7 19
Emery, Charles f 9 24
Eckhart, W. P. E f 9 10
Eagles, Samuel f 10 22
Eagles, Wm. H. f 11 17
Eagles, Frederick f 11 17
Eagles, Wm. f 11 18
Ferguson, Wm. f 3 8
Ferguson, Thomas f 3 8
Ferguson, Creighton f 1 3
Finch, Samuel f 1 5
Fenner, Frederick f 3 1
Freeston, Joseph f 3 11
Fuller, Peter f 6 19
Fox, Nelson f 8 9
Foe, Edward H. f 8 15
Fretter, Wm. f 8 36
Free, Wm. f 9 1
Free, Henry f 9 1
Free, Robert f 11 4
Ferris, John G. f 9 1
Ford, Richard f 10 9
Frizzell, John f 11 32
Frizzell, Amos f 11 32
Govier, George f 2 2
Green, Reuben f 3 12
Green, John f 4 3
Gilchrist, Thomas f 4 1
Gilchrist, Henry h 4 8
Grier, Andrew f 4 1
Grier, James f 4 3
Grier, James, Sr. 1 4 3
Grier, David f 7 18
Grier, John f 7 19
Govett, Thos., Mason f 6 20
Garrett, Christopher f 6 20
Garrett, Isaac f 7 20
Gould, Henry f 7 10
Gould, Abel f 7 10
Gould, Nathan f 7 10
Gifford, Alfred, Teacher f 7 24
Gibbon, Lewis f 7 27
Gibbon, Jessie f 7 27
Gordon, John f 10 4
Gowan, Charles f 10 4
Gibbs, Joseph f 12 16
Greenfield, Samuel f 12 25
Hogg, James f 1 3
Hogg, James, Jr. f 1 3
Hogg, Alex f 1 3
Hogg, Simon f 6 4
Hurlburt, Heman f 1 3
Howe, Thomas f 1 6
Howe, Henry f 1 6
Howe, Andrew f 9 14
Holmes, John f 8 30
Holmes, Walter J. f 1 7
Holt, George f 6 7
Hamilton, T. h 2 8
Haines, James f 3 1
Hare, Andrew f 7 3
Hare, Henry f 7 4
Hare, James f 3 3
Hare, Peter f 7 4
Hunter, Robert f 4 5
Hunter, John f 4 5
Hunter, John f 8 8
Hooker, F., Gardener f 6 15
Hill, Robt., Mason f 6 15
Harris, Thomas f 6 17
Hawkins, Wm. h 6 17
Halleck, Jas. Cooper f 7 29
Hunt, John f 9 12
House, George f 11 21
House, John f 11 21
House, Thos. M. Sr. f 9 28
House, Thos. M. Jr. f 9 29
Hughson, Wm. f 9 36
Heskill, George f 10 24
Hill, John f 10 39
Hill, Charles f 11 5
Houston, Wm. f 11 4
Hayes, Wm. f 11 6
Inglis, Joseph f 12 4
Johnson, George f 12 31
Johnson, Wm. f 12 30
Johnson, Arthur f 4 1
Johnson, James f 4 4
Johnson, Wm. f 6 9
Johnson, Thomas f 6 9
Johnson, Wm. f 8 26
Johnson, John f 8 34
Johnson, Joseph h 9 24
Johnson, Wm. f 12 13
Jarmin, Jas. h 6 19
Juniper, John f 7 20
Juniper, Amos f 7 20
Jay, Albion S. f 7 25
Kirkwood, John f 5 7
Kyle, Wm. f 7 19
Knight, Abraham f 12 5
Kilvington, Henry f 11 6
King, John h 11 13
Kirwin, Elias f 12 35
Kirwin, Schuyler f 12 35
Kirwin, Wm. f 12 35
Kerr, Hawkins f 12 38
Kerr, Enoch f 1 38
Londry, Thomas f 3 12
Londry, John B. f 4 12
Londry, Lorenzo f 4 12
Lindsay, Geo., Teacher f 4 2
Lenox, Andrew h 4 2
Lytle, Irwin f 4 4
Loblaw, Thomas f 4 7
Logan, James f 4 8
Lemon, James f 12 31
Lemon, John, Jr. h 12 32
Laycock, Wm. f 9 22
Laycock, Alex. f 9 22
Laycock, Brian f 6 11
Laycock, James f 6 12
Laycock, John f 8 22
Lloyd, Jno., Sawyer h 6 15
Lowe, Jas., Brickmaker f 6 17
Lynn, Robert f 3 10
Lynn, John H. f 6 10
Lochead, Robert f 6 30
Leader, Johnson f 8 23
Long, Adam f 8 24
Long, James f 9 16
Leavens, Wm. B. f 9 18
Leaven, Ransellaer f 9 18
Laturnel, Robert f 2 9
Laturnel, Thomas 1 2 9
Maynard, Henry f 1 9
Maynard, George f 1 9
Maynard, Edgar f 1 9
Maynard, Edwin f 1 9
Montgomery, Johnson f 3 9
Malcolm, Hamilton f 4 2
Mitchell, Robert f 5 3
Mitchell, Thomas f 4 3
Mitchell, Charles f 4 3
Marshall, Jas., Waggonmaker f 5 3
Matthews, James f 6 4
Marsh, John f 12 6
Merrick, Dorchester f 6 9
Milne, Alex f 7 12
Mackie, Thomas f 10 2
Mackie, Wm. f 7 12
Mackie, Thomas f 7 13
Mackie, James f 12 18
Markie, Andrew, Shoemaker f 7 29
Mitcheltree, John f 7 35
Murray, Robert f 8 2
Moore, Thomas f 11 15
Moore, Jabez f 12 5
Maxwell, James f 11 38
Macham, John f 12 4
Moulton, Royal f 12 36
McCausland, Geo., Carpenter f 1 2
McCausland, Alex f 2 3
McGillivray, John f 9 35
McGillivray, Neil f 9 35
McGillivray, Wm. f 2 5
McArthur, ---- h 3 3
McVitty, George f 3 8
McKinlay, David f 4 3
McDonald, Robert f 11 27
McDonald, Charles f 11 32
McDonald, Wm. f 10 15
McDonald, Miles f 5 2
McDonald, Alex f 12 21
McDonald, John f 7 9
McDonald, Arch. f 6 15
McDonald, Angus h 9 39
McDonald, Donald f 9 34
McLean, Robt., Tanner f 5 3
McLean, Neil h 10 7
McLean, Joseph f 9 10
McFarlane, Alex f 5 6
McMullen, Mrs. E. f 6 24
McMullen, John f 10 38
McMullen, Hugh f 10 38
McLaren, Duncan f 6 31
McLaren, James f 7 36
McKinnon, Donald f 7 3
McLeod, Roderick f 12 38
McLeod, Alex h 7 13
McCartney, John f 7 29
McCartney, Andrew f 7 18
McIntosh, Thos. f 8 13
McIntosh, Gilbert f 7 32
McIntosh, Wm. f 8 2
McIntosh, Gilbert P. f 9 34
McNanghton, Donald, Jr. f 8 1
McNaughton, James f 8 10
McNaughton, Donald f 8 10
McKay, John f 8 3
McKay, Finlay f 12 34
McKay, John f 1 2
McIntyre, John f 8 17
McIntyre, John f 11 38
McAleer, John f 8 30
McCannell, Ainslie f 10 4
McCrea, ---, Fisherman h 12 41
McConnell, Charles f 11 33
McEdwards, Duncan f 12 13
Noble, Robert f 3 5
Neelands, John f 7 23
Newman, Theophilus f 10 9
Osborne, James f 6 7
Ormsby, Richard f 6 15
Oliver, James 1 6 20
Phipps, Robt. W. f 1 6
Parsley, Wm. H. f 1 7
Parsley, Edward H. f 1 7
Postle, Francis f 2 7
Postle, Wm. f 2 10
Parker, Ephraim h 4 2
Pitts, Emanuel f 6 20
Parkin, Wm. f 9 3
Porter, Wm. f 10 16
Purdy, Marshall f 11 10
Purdy, Jesse T. f 5 15
Purdy, Hassard W. f 5 15
Pacy, Edward f 11 14
Payne, Charles f 11 19
Rodgers, John f 3 4
Rowe, Wm. h 4 3
Rattray, Robt f 5 5
Rattray, Alex f 5 5
Robinson, Thomas f 6 2
Robinson, Cuthbert f 6 2
Robinson, John f 8 5
Robinson, Wm. f 6 29
Rouse, Wm. h 6 18
Rouse, John h 6 18
Rouse, Thomas h 6 18
Raven, Wm. G. f 7 25
Raven, John f 7 30
Raven, Jonathan f 11 13
Robbins, Solomon f 7 35
Rutherford, David f 8 29
Robertson, Duncan f 9 4
Robertson, James f 9 6
Robertson, James, Jr. f 9 6
Robertson, Donald f 10 6
Robertson, Charles f 12 33
Richmond, Cyrus C. f 9 16
Richmond, Jeremiah f 9 19
Richmond, Clark f 9 19
Reynolds, James f 10 10
Rosborough, John f 10 23
Rosborough, Wm. f 10 23
Reid, Nicholas f 10 26
Richardson, Wm. f 12 16
Shields, Joseph, Jr. f 2 10
Shields, Joseph, Sr. f 3 5
Smith, Robert f 9 27
Smith, Wm. f 3 2
Smith, Robert f 4 1
Smith, Philip h 4 3
Smith, Alonzo f 6 3
Smith, Lewis f 6 3
Smith, Garrett f 6 3
Smith, John f 7 2
Smith, Robert f 11 10
Smith, Daniel f 11 10
Smith, Bernard f 12 3
Smithson, Geo, Cooper f 3 11
Spratford, Jas., Sawyer h 6 12
Story, James f 9 5
Story, John f 7 3
Story, Walter f 9 2
Sewell, John f 5 3
Sewell, Wm. f 7 5
Sing, Cyrus R. f 4 15
Sterling, John f 7 5
Sterling, James f 7 5
Stitt, Wm. f 8 1
Sheppard, Henry h 8 8
Snider, George f 8 16
Snider, John f 8 15
Snider, Wm. A. f 8 17
Snider, James f 8 17
Shunk, Abraham f 8 25
Shunk, John f 8 19
Shunk, Wm., Carpenter f 8 25
Sander, Franklin f 8 19
Sparling, Ellis f 9 30
Speer, Samuel D. f 9 32
Saunders, Samuel f 10 16
Saunders, John f 11 19
Seaman, David f 11 17
Seaman, Peter f 12 12
Tusker, Wm. f 3 6
Taylor, John, Jr., Blacksmith f 5 4
Taylor, Wm., Sr. f 5 4
Taylor, Wm., Jr. f 5 4
Taylor, John f 5 4
Taylor, Henry h 5 4
Taylor, Joseph f 11 16
Taylor, James f 10 14
Taylor, Robert, Sr. f 10 17
Taylor, Robert, Jr. f 10 17
Taylor, Richard f 10 17
Trout, James h 7 22
Trout, Wm. f 6 13
Trout, Peter f 6 13
Trout, Wm., Millwright f 6 13
Trout, Rev. W., (Disciples) f 6 22
Thomas, David, Ap. f 6 20
Tomlinson, George f 8 6
Tapley, Wm. h 9 24
Tottenham, F. R. f 9 33
Tenyck, Wm. f 11 35
Ufland, David f 7 23
Urquhart, David f 7 8
Urquhart, Hugh f 7 8
VanIristan, Chas. h 8 12
Vail, Wm. P. f 12 40
Vanderburg, Thos. f 8 20
Vanderburg, Stephen f 8 20
Vickers, Thomas f 6 4
Vanwyck, Hiram f 12 36
Willard, Hall f 1 2
Wilson, John f 4 1
Wilson, J. L., Innkeeper f 4 3
Wilson, Joseph f 4 3
Wilson, James N. h 4 8
Wilson, Harry f 6 20
Wilson, John f 8 29
Williamson, James f 4 3
Warner, Allen f 5 5
Whitelaw, Wm. f 5 11
Ward, John f 6 8
Ward, Wm. f 6 8
Winters, Moses f 6 24
Wood, Wm. f 6 27
Wilcox, Jesse C. f 6 27
Wilcox, Stephen J. f 8 25
Wilcox, Stephen L. f 8 26
Walker, Wm., Mason f 8 23
Williams, Ephraim B. f 9 13
Williams, George M. f 9 13
Williams, John M. f 9 14
Williams, John f 9 14
Watson, Wm. f 9 37
Watson, Charles f 11 5
White, John f 10 5
Walmsley, Wm. f 11 33
Walmsley, James f 12 33
Weller, Asa f 12 7
Willis, John f 12 30
Young, Hugh f 5 8
Young, Robert f 5 8
Young, William f 5 8
Young, Bowerman f 6 39
York, Frederick f 6 22
York, Thos., Shoemaker f 6 29
Yeomans, Newton f 9 12
SULLIVAN P. O.
A Postoffice on the Garafraxa Road, 13 m. S. of Owen Sound,
and 14 1/2 m. from Durham. It is just North of the new
town-plot of Williamsford. William Buchanan, Postmaster. Daily
mails to and from Owen Sound and Durham. This Postoffice and
the office at Durham are the oldest Postoffices South of Owen
Sound, in the County of Grey; dating from the year 1847. The
present Post master has continued to act since the first
establishment of the office. "Sullivan P. O." has always been on
the Holland side of the road, though it is very central for the
front ranges of Sullivan-in earlier years the only settled
portion of that township. The Postmaster of Sullivan combines
Book binding with his official duties; and, as there is no
Book-binder in Owen Sound, receives all the patronage of the
County Town in that line. (See also "Williamsford.")
Bill Martin, Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada.
My Site Map