Places in Norfolk, England


"This article concerns the sixty WOOLSEY wills [from 1360 to 1650] that Wilford W. Whitaker found in NORFOLK COUNTY, ENGLAND, in their various jurisdictions, with a few other wills, [including the will of Robert Wolsey, butcher, father of the Cardinal, Thomas Wolsey, in Ipswich, Suffolk County, England.]

Wilford first arranged the wills chronologically. The numbers in the first column refer to the number of that WILL in chronological order, though Wilford arranged them, for this article, alphabetically by town. The date is the date the will was probated or recorded.

Wilford has read about 1/2 of these wills and is still looking for financial help to hire a professional to double-check his reading of the wills."


39.     BANNINGHAM      A parish in Aylsham district, Norfolk; on a tributary of the river Bure, 2 1/2 miles NE of Aylsham, and 14 N of Norwich r. station. Post-town, Aylsham under Norwich. Acres, 920. Real property, L2,209. Pop., 302. Houses, 67. The property is divided among a few. The living is in the diocese of Norwich. Value, L446. The church has old glazing, and is good. Charities, L6.

Wulsy* Jacob appears many
times in Manor Roll
& John, Richard &
dau Elizabeth
       1602 Wulsey* John - buried 2 Sept. Banningham p. reg #1526779
Wulseye* John, yeoman,
Banningham, Norfolk
Banningham 36

08.     GUESTWICK      A parish in Aylsham district, Norfolk; adjacent to the river Bure, 2 1/2 miles NE of Foulsham, under Thetford. Acres, 1,646. Real property, L2,544. Pop., 203. Houses, 42. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich. value, L88. The church is a neat edifice, with a pinnacled tower. Godwin, the novelist, was a native.

008 008 1465 Wulcy William, Geysttweyt, St. Peter 359 Brosyard 094864
022 022 1510 Wolcye* Thomas alias Bully,
of Guestwick
94 Sparhawk 167061

27.     THWAITE-ALL SAINTS      A parish in Aylsham district, Norfolk; 6 1/2 miles WNW of North Walsham r. station. Post-town, Aylsham, under Norwich. Acres, 676. Real property, L2,264. Pop., 147. Houses, 32. The manor belongs to the Earl of Orford. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, L110. The church is tolerable. There is a national school.[#27 & #28, John Wulcy, 1523, are two wills for the same man. A few differences.]



1523 Wulcy John, Wheyte/Weyte
juxta Alby (Thwaite)
John, Wheyte/Qweyte
(Thwaite by Alby)
200, 201 Alblaster

183-185 Palgrave
John, Thwaite,
173 Woodcocke
William, Yeoman,
193 Clearke

        INGWORTH      A parish in Aylsham district, Norfolk; on the river Bure, near the projected line of railway from Norwich to Cromer, 2 miles N of Aylsham and 14 N by W of Norwich r. station. It has a post-office under Norwich. Acres, 512. Real property, L979. Pop., 153. Houses, 37. The property is subdivided. The living is a rectory in the docese of Norwich. Value, L127. The church is ancient, in very good condition; and formerly had a round tower, which fell in 1822.

Willm [Wilson?] Jane,
his dau - bapt.
Ingworth Par. Reg.
* Read his will
Richard, husbandman
of Ingworth, Norfolk


        WICKHAMPTON      A parish in Blofield district, Norfolk; 2 miles NNE of Reedham r. station, and 4 S by E of Acle. Post-Town, Acle. Acres, 1,605. Real property, L3,264. Pop., 119. Houses, 28. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, L195. The church is ancient.

Anne, d/o Richard
Elizabeth, d/o   "
Bapt. Parish Reg.
   "    "   "  
Roger, taylor of
Woolsey Woolsey Anne, d/o William &
Martha, w/o William
Bapt. Parish Reg.
Buried,   "   " 
    1668 1668 Dawson Dawson Anne, ye w/o John Anne,
d/o John
Buried Parish Reg.
Buried   "  "


12.     STRATTON (Long)      or S. St. Mary, a village and a parish in Depwade district, Norfolk. The village stands 2 miles E of Forncett r. station, and 10 1/4 SSW of Norwich; was the Estratunas of the East Anglian kings; is a seat of petty-sessions, and a polling-place; and has a head post office, a good inn, a restored ancient church, an Independent chapel, a national school, a weekly market on Tuesday, and fairs on Whit-Tuesday;, and 12 Oct. The parish includes Wood-Green hamlet, and comprises 1,517 acres. Real property, L3,751. Pop., 743. Houses, 159. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, L424.

012 012 1478 Wolcy William, Long Stratton Coram Rege Roll 867     
013 013 1478 Wolcy George, Long Stratton Coram Rege Roll 867      


        BURNHAM      A sub-district in the district of Docking, Norfolk. It contains twelve parishes and an extra-parochial tract, around Burnham-Westgate. Acres, 33,80.

        BURNHAM-WESTGATE,      a village and a parish in Docking district, Norfolk. The village stands adjacent to the rivulet Burn, 3 miles SSW of Burnham harbour, 6 W by S of Wells r. station, and 8 ½ NW of Fakenham. It has a post office of the name of Burnham, under Lynn; was formerly a market town; and still has fairs on Easter Tuesday and 1 and 2 Aug. The parish comprises 3,047 acres. Real property, 6,219 pounds. Pop., 1,094. Houses, 255. The property is divided among a few. Holkham park is a seat of the Earl of Leicester. There are two iron-foundries, and an agricultural implement manufactory. The living is a rectory, united with half of the rectories of Burnham-Norton and Burnham-Ulph, in the docese of norwich. Value, 768 pounds. Patron, Christ's College, Cambridge. The church is a neat building of flint and freestone, with a square tower. There are also a second church, an Independent chapel, a Primitive Methodist chapel, and charities 28 pounds.

09.  .   RINGSTEAD (Magna)      A village and a parish in Docking district, Norfolk. The village stands 1 1/2 mile SE of Hunstanton r. station, and 5 NW of Docking; and has a post-office under Lynn. The parish extends to the coast, and comprises 2,714 acres of land and 100 of water. Real property, L4,599. Pop., 522. Houses, 115.... The Downs, near the village, are a favourite resort of picnic parties. ... The church was restored and enlarged in 1865, at a cost of more than L2,000. ...

Wolsham William, Ryngstede
46 Cobald

        RINGSTEAD (Little)      A parish in Docking district, Norfolk; 2 miles S of Hunstanton r. station. It consists of one farm, belonging to H. S. Le Strange, Esq.; . . . The living is a sinecure rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, L49.


        MELTON-CONSTABLE      A parish in Erpingham district, Norfolk; 5 1/2 miles SW by S of Holt, and 6 NE of Ryburgh r. station. It includes the hamlet or quondam parish of Burgh-Parva; and its post-town is Briston, under Thetford. Acres, 2,710. Real property, #2,429. Pop., 118. Houses, 19. The manor was given, by William the Conqueror, to the Bishop of Thetford; was held, under the Bishop, by Roger de Lyons; continued to be held by his descendants, who assumed the name of Mealton, with sometimes the affix of De Constable, in allusion to their office under the Bishop; and passed, several centuries ago, to the Astleys. . . . The church consists of nave and chancel, with a central tower.

Wulsey William, rector of
Melton Cunstable
69 Harsyk

03.     BAYFIELD      A parish in Erpingham district, Norfolk; 2 miles W of Holt, and 7 E by N of Walsingham r. station. Post-town, Holt, under Thetford. Acres, 799. Real property, with Glandford, L1,663. Pop., 30. Houses, 4. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, L150. There is no church.

Wolsy Richard, rector
of Bayfeld, Norfolk
89, 90 Hyrnyng 094857 nwcc


    1551 Wolsey* John - able man of Erpingham     
057 057 1650 Wolcie* William, husbandman of Erphingham          


          1597 Kettle William, of Garboldisham, Norf. 67 Eade     


030      1524 Wolvy Robert, N.P. 5, 6 Groundesburgh          

23.     WALSHAM (North)      A small town, a parish, and a sub-district, in Erpingham district, Norfolk, 14 1/4 miles N by E of Norwich. The town suffered much injury from fire in 1600; is a seat of petty sessions and county courts, and a polling-place; and has a post-office under Norwich, an ancient market-cross, an ancient church recently restored, a weekly market on Thursday, and a horse and cattle fair on the day before Holy Thursday. The parish comprises 4,252 acres. Real property, L12,815; of which L162 are in a canal. Pop., 2,896. Houses, 679. The manor belongs to the Bishop of Norwich. A cross about a mile S of the town marks the scene of a battle, in 1381, between rebel forces under Lytester and royal forces under Bishop Spencer. The living is a vicarage, united with Antingham, in the diocese of Norwich. Patron, the Bishop of Norwich. Nordwalsham 1044-7. North Walsham 1127-34, c. 1200. Walsham is to be interpreted as a name in ham the first el. of which is the gen. of the OE personal name W(e)alh, a name which is recorded in the LVD as early as the 7th century (Ualch). North Walsham has a big town church, dedicated to St. Nicholas, but the tower, 147 feet high, collapsed in 1724 and has never been rebuilt. Pevsner (201) thinks it "looks decorative enough as a crag dominating the town.

023 023 1514 Wulcy Nicholas, Walsham North 116, 117 Coppinger 094874
025 025 1517 Wolcy Thomas, of Walsham North 100 Batman 167062
043 043 1587 Wolsey Nicholas, senior, cord wainer, Walsham N. 128 Homes 094913
    1614 Woolsey Bridget - Chris Dean Boyd's Marr. 4:35  
    1642 1642 1644 Woolsey Wolsey Woolsey John - Mgt Durrant Agnes
- Hen Brown Nich - Ann Throry
Boyd's Marr.6:113 Boyd's
Marr.6:110 Boyd's Marr.6:113
048 048 1596 Woulsye Edward, yeoman,
of Walsham North
273 Skyppon 094919


19.     RUNHAM      A village and a parish in Flegg district, Norfolk. The village stands near the river Bure, at the Runham-Swim ferry, 4 1/2 miles WNW of Yarmouth r. station; and was once a market town. The parish includes a detached portion, called New Runham or Vauxhall, immediately adjoining Yarmouth, and on which fish-offices, manure-works, and the terminus of the Norwhich and Yarmouth railway are situated; and its post town is Filby, under Norwich.... includes the extra-parochial tract of Nowhere. Acres, with Nowhere, 1,715. Real property, L4,413. Pop., exclusive of Nowhere 396. Houses, 84. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich. Value, L207. The church is old, and was recently restored. There are a national school and a poors´ allotment of 27 acres.

Ronham, Romham 1086 DB, Ronham 1306 QW, 1427 ff. The early forms point to a first el. with a short u, so it may be OE hruna 'a fallen or felled tree-trunk´, used in the sense 'footbridge, bridge formed by a single tree-trunk, followed by ham or hamm. [Sandred 2:19]

019 019 1500 Wulcy William, the older, of Runham 204, 205 Cage 094870
020 020 1505 Wolcy John, of Runham, St. Peter 272, 273 Ryxe 094872
029      1524 Wolvy Robert, Reyngham, Mary 233-234 Alblaster 094864?


05.     HENSTEAD      recheck for parish HEMPSTEAD

    1597 Wolsey* Robert, of Hempstead He being a laye man Norf. Rec. Soc. 942.61
005 005 1445 Wlcy Richard, of Hensted, St. Mary 23 Wylbey 094860

        MELTON-MAGNA      A parish, with a village, in Henstead district, Norfolk; near the river Yare, 2 3/4 miles NW of Hethersett r. station, and 4 NE by N of Wymondham. Post-town, Wymondham. Acres, 2,485. Real property, L4,213. Pop., 368. Houses, 78. The manor, Melton Hall, and most of the land, belong to the Rev. H. E. Lombe. The present parish comprises two ancient parishes, M. St. Mary and M. All Saints, consolidated in the time of Queen Anne. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, L753. The church of St. Mary is later English; and consist of nave and chancel, with S porch and small tower. The church of All Saints is a ruin, and has a fine ivy-clad tower.

            1562 Breaton Robert, yeoman, Great Melton 343 Cowlles      


07.   KIRSTEAD     A village and a parish in Loddon district, Norfolk. The village stands 4 1/4 miles W of Loddon, and 5 1/2 ESE of Swainsthorpe r. station; and has a post-office under Norwich. The parish includes the quondam parish of Langhale, and is sometimes called Kirstead-with-Langhale. Acres, 1,011. Real property, L1,794. Pop., 245. Houses, 52. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to G. S. Kett, Esq. Langhale House is the seat of C. Kerrison, Esq. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Langhale, in the diocese of Norwich. Value, L326. Patron, Caius College, Cambridge. The church is early English; was much altered, improved, and enlarged in 1864; and acquired then an apsidal chancel and a tower. A church was formerly at Langhale; but was a ruin in the time of James I.

Kirstead Church c1810
Kirstead Church now

  1375 ______ Robert, rector of Kyrkested 122 Heydon 094854 nwcc
    1460 Bussy Nicholas, rector of
Kyrkested ad Langhale
230 Brosyard 094861
    1479 Kirstede John, Kirstede
juxta Brook
37, 38 Aubry 094868
    1492 Colman Robert, Kyrsted,
St. Margaret
129 Aubry 094868 v. 18
    1492 Colman Thomas, Kyrsted,
St. Margaret
120, 130 Aubry 094868 v. 18
    1528 Browne John, the elder,
of Kyrkested
75-77 Palgrave  
    1530 Thakker Nicholas, parson of Howe,
Crysted, and Langall
94 to 97 Palgrave
Read his will Wulsye nil
031 031 1531 Wulcye* George, of Kirsted 116 -118 Palgrave 094880
    1541 Broke Katherine, widow, of Kirsted N.P. 234 Cooke  
    1553 Smeth Thomas, clerk, of Kirstead, Norfolk 230 Wilkins  
    1558 Wylsonne William, husbandman
Kirstead, Norfolk
5 Veysye Read will - Nil  
    1559 Folthorpe Joan, widow, Kirstead 16 Woodcocke  
    1560 Rudd John, clerk, parson
of Kirstead, Norfolk
277 Bircham  
038 038 15621563 WolseyI Agnes, of Kirstead 448 Postyll 167076
    1585 Barne John, clerk, Kirstead 63 Jarnigo  
    1595 Woodyard Robert, husbandman,
Kirstead, Norfolk
35 Hinde  
    1599 Harding Francis, yeoman,
of Kirstead, Norfolk
100 Pecke Read will, NIL  
    1603 Burton Thomas, laborer,
of Kirstead, Norfolk
8 Norfforthe  

        LANGHALE      A quondam parish (or hamlet) in Loddon district, Norfolk; 7 miles SE of Norwich. It is now incorporated with Kirstead; but the living of it still survives as a rectory, annexed to the rectory of Kirstead, in the diocese of Norwich. Its church has disappeared.

    1372 Banham, John, of Langhale 25 Heydon 094854 nwcc
    1375 ______ Benedict, vicar of All Sts., Lausull 90 Heydon 094854 nwcc
007 007 1447 Wulcy John, laborer, of Langle - Kirstead de Banco Plea Roll 742, Dors 389    
    1509 Colman Henry, of Langegale [Langhall] 156 Spyltymber 94873 v. 28  
034 034 1557 Wilsye* Robert, of Langall (Langhall) folio 342    
    1562 Copping John, senior, yeoman, Langhall & Seething 237 Cowlles -    
047 047 1595 Woolcey* William, yeoman of Langhall [- Kirstead] 136 Bale 167089  
    1596 Copping John, Kirstead-cum- Langhall, Norfolk 33 Skyppon - Read Will - Nill    
052 052 1600 Wulcye* George, yeoman, of Langhall 343 Wright 167091  


          1439 Gavell Robert, Kyrkebycam 115 Doke 094858
          1454 Gavell Maud, widow Kyrkeby Came 212 Aleyn 094860
          1461 Gavell Thomas, Kyrkebycam at Kyrkestead 266-268 Brosyard 094861
          1474 Gavell Henry, son & heir of
Thomas Gavell of Kyrkebycane, generosi
83 Gelour 094865
          Gawell Thomas, Kirby Kame 149, 150 Alblaster          
          1602 Medcalfe Francis, husbandman, of Hirby Cane, Norf. 114 Candler     

        SEETHING      A parish, with a village, in Loddon district, Norfolk; 5 1/2 mies N by W of Bungay r. station. Post-town, Brooke, under Norwich. Acres, 1,630. Real property;, L3,302. Pop. 431. Houses, 102. The property is divided among a few. The living is a p. curacy in the diocess of Norwich. value, L142. The church is ancient but good.

Seething Church c1810
Seething Church now

          1539 Woodyard William, clerke, of Seething N.P. 80, 81 Mingaye     
    1540 Wodiyarde William, clerke, of Sethinge 328, 329 Attmere  
    1559 Kettle Henry, husbandman,
of Seething, Norfolk
18 Goldingham  
042 042 1585 Wolsey Richard, weaver, of Seething 551 Sherwood 167083
050 050 1599 Wolsye Roger, yeoman, of Seething 54 Wright 167091
051 051 1600 Wolsey Jane, late wife of Roger,
dec´d Seething
279 Wright 167091

35.     THWAITE-ST. MARY      A parish in Loddon district, Norfolk; 3 1/2 miles N of Bungay r. station. Post-town, Bungay. Acres, 676. Real property, L1,089. Pop., 136. Houses, 29. The property is chiefly divided between two. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, L200. The church is tolerable.


21.     LYNN - KINGS LYNN      A town a parish, three sub-districts, and a district in Norfolk. The town or LYNN-REGIS stands on the right back of the river house, at the junction of the Nar navigation, and at a junction of railways from Norwich, Ely, Hunstanton, Wisbeach, and Sutton, a few miles S of the SE extremity of the Wash, and 40 W by N of Norwich. Camden its name from the Celtic word Llyn, signifying "a pool" or "an expanse of water;" but Spelman derives it from the Saxon Lean, signifying "a tenure in fee." The name occurs in Domesday book as Leen and Lena. The town, at the time of the Norman conquest, was already a port, with considerable customs and many salt-works; it belonged than, and had belonged previously, to certain bishops; it continued, till the time of Henry VIII., to be under the peculiar jurisdiction, both temporal and spiritual, of the bishops of Norwich; and it was known, during that period, as Lynn-Episcopi, or Bishops-Lynn. It was early and long a great resort of Hollanders, Flemings, and others from the Continental shores of the North sea; and, in the time of Richard I., it was much frequented by Jews, and had a good trade.

        LYNN (North)      A parish in Lynn district, Norfolk; on the river Ouse, opposite the lower part of Lynn. Post-town, Lynn. Acres, 1,205; of which 435 are water. Pop., 62. Houses, 14. The living is a rectory, annexed to the p. curacy of Lynn, in the diocese of Norwich. There is no church.

        LYNN (South)      A parish in Lynn district, Norfolk; forming part of Lynn Borough. Real property, L14,601; of which L1,060 are in gas-works. Pop. in 1851, 4,772; in 1861, 4,534. Houses 1,031. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich. Value, L13. Patron, the Bishop of Norwich.

        LYNN (West)      A village and a parish in Lynn district, Norfolk. The village stands on the river Ouse, opposite Lynn, communicates with it by ferry, and has a post-office under it. The parish comprises 1,619 acres. Real property, L6,479. Pop. in 1851, 1,098; in 1861, 469. Houses, 112. The decrease of pop. was caused partly by the removal of labourers temporarily employed on the Norfolk estuary works. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, L400. The church is chiefly later English; succeeded an ancient one which was swept away by an inundation in 1271; consists of nave and transepts, with a tower; has a memorial E window of 1849 to Amelia Walker; and contains an ancient octagonal font, and a fine brass of 1503. There are chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans, a national school, and charities L12.

021 021 1508 Wolsey Andrew, Lynne, St. Nicholas          
037 037 1562 Wolsey William, of Lynne, St. Nicholas          


04.     MATTISHALL      A village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Mitford district, Norfolk. The village stands 3 1/2 miles E of Yaxham r. station, and 4 1/2 ESE of East Dereham; and has a post-office under Dereham, and a fair on the Tuesday before Holy Thursday. The parish comprises 2,280 acres. Real property, L6,220. Pop. 971. Houses 222. The property is much sub-divided

004 004 1431 Wolve John, senior,
of Matshale (Mattishall)
83 Surflete 094857

        OXWICK,      a parish in Mitford District, Norfolk; 4 miles S by W of Fakenham r. station. Post-town, Litcham under Swaffham. Acres, 719. Real property, with Pattesley, 1,883 pounds. Pop. Of O. alone, 66. Houses, 14. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, 234 pounds. Patron, E. Blake, Esq. The church is old; and consists of nave and chancel, with bell-turrent. Charities 9 pounds.

        SCARNING      A parish, with a village, in Mitford district, Norfolk; on the East Anglian railway, near Wendling r. station, and 2 1/2 miles W by S of East Dereham, Post-town, Dereham. Acres, 3,470. Real property, L6,274. Pop., 693. Houses, 147. The manor-house is occupied by a farmer; and the Grange is a chief residence. The living is a rectory and a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich. Value, L496. The church is of the 15th century; and consists of nave, aisles, chancel, and chantry-chapel, with a fine porch and a massive tower.

040   1579 Wilsie Richard, weaver,
of Scarning, Norfolk
538 Woodstocke 094908


10.     NORWICH      A city and a district in Norfolk, and a diocese in Norfolk and Suffolk. The city stands on the river Wensum, immediately above the confluence with the Yare, ... nearly in the centre of the eastern half of Norfolk, 19 miles W of Yarmouth, 43 N of Ipswich, and 110 by road, but 126 by railway, NE by N of London. A navigation goes from it, down the yare, to two exits at Yarmouth and Lowestoft. . . . Norwich sprang out of the decay of the Roman Venta Icenorum, now Caistor-St. Edmunds 3 miles to the S. Uffa, the founder of the East Anglian monarchy, constructed a castle or fortress on its site, and made it his residence. The site was then part of a peninsula, projecting into an estuary; and it gave good facilities for at once the constructing of defensive works, the creating of a fishing-town, and the fostering of trade. Anglo-Saxon settlers seem to have soon multiplied around Uffa´s castle; and in allusion to the situation relative to Caistor, the called the place Nord-wic or Northwic, signifying North-town. . . . Anna, king of the East Angles, held his court in the royal residence at the castle. The town was taken by the Danes, in 870, after their defeat to King Edmund; was re-taken, in 872, by Alfred the Great; was taken again by Guthrum the Dane, or surrendered to him, and became his capital; was taken and burnt, in 1004, by Sweyne; was re-settled, in 1010, by the Danes, who then were able to come to it from the sea in their boats; was held, in 1018, by Torchil and Canute, who restored or rebuilt the castle; rose then to much importance, and soon had a mint; was so great in the time of Edward the Confessor as then to possess 25 churches and 1,320 burgesses; was given, by William the Conqueror, to Ralph de Guader or Waiet; sustained a disastrous siege by the king´s forces, in 1074, in consequence of De Guader having conspired against the Crown, and of his wife, with a strong garrison, having taken post in the castle; suffered then very great damage, partly from the operations of the siege, but still more from the imposition of heavy fines on the citizens, as a price for averting the demolition of their houses. ...

St. Cross', Norwich  !PROBATE:  Norfolk Record Society. Norwich Consistory Court Depositions, 1499-1512 and 1518-1530. Calendared by the Late Rev. E. D. Stone, M.A. Revised and Arranged by B. Cozens-Hardy, F.S.A. 1938 Norfolk #942.61. #102. fo. 141 - 14 Jan 1509. Defamation. Margaret Sibley v. Alice Wulcye or Wolcy. Margaret Skipp, w/o William Skipp, (27), of St. Cross', Norwich, res. 3 years, deposed that Alice Wulcye said that Margaret Sibley was an harlot, and that William Skipp kept her, and loved her more than he did his own wife, this deponent. William Skipp, (34) of St. Cross', res. 3 years.

14 Jan 1509 Wulcye Alice St. Cross' Deposition Norf. Rec.Soc.

St. Peter Mancroft (Ecclesia) Sancti Petri de Manecroft 1254-75 Val, (cimiterium) 1289 R, (ecclesia) Sancti Petri de Manecroft 1292 to 1298 etc. The present church was begun in 1430 on the site of an older one and was finished in 1455. Blomefield IV 184 ff. v. Market Place, Mancroft.

1514 Wulci, Richard Constable MH    
1536 1555 1557 Wulci, Edmond Wulci, Edmond Wulci, Edmond Constable Coroner Clover Councillor 1540-7 Chamberlain Council Sheriff & 1556-1557 1555 1557
1539 Wulci, John Constable    
1552 Wulci, John Constable CY Sergeant at Mace Market Common Sgt. 1562-64 1565-1590
1570 Wolci, Thomas, age 68 Spinebreadmaker wife- 68, 3 ch: 22, 20, 15. Norchwich Census of the poor St. Peters of Mancroft [Parish & Ward. Norf. Rec. Soc. 942.61 B4rs

St. Stephenapud Norwycum ad monasterium sancti Stephani 1114-6 Holme etc. The dedication is to St. Stephen, the first Martyr. This church was founded before the Conquest (1066) but was rebuilt in the 16th century. Blomefield IV 145 ff. v. St. Stephen´s Street and Plain. (There is a map of Norwich (1288) with this group of records, and also a map of Norwich about 1348.)

010 010 1472 1477 Wolcye Nicholas, Norwich 33 Gilberd 094866
011 011 1473 Wolcye Nicholas [de Norco] ad sep in cim ecclie omn Scos. de Fybrggate in Norco 33 Gilberd 094866
024 024 1517 Wolcy Richard, citizen and Graver of Norwich 22 - 24 Gylys 094876
026 026 1523 Wulcy Thomas, St. Peter at the Gats, Norwich 40 Herman  
049 049 1598 Wolsey John, weaver, of Norwich 92 Adams 094921
054 054 1619 Woolsey Francis, keelman, of Norwich   094936
    1565 Brereton William, cordwainer, of Norwich 183 Marten 037


14.     WORSTEAD      A village and a parish in Tunstead district, Norfolk. The village stands 3 miles SSE of North Walsham r. station; was anciently called Wordstede; was once a manufacturing and market town; gave name to worsted stuff, the manufacture of which was commenced in it in the time of Henry I., and transferred to Norwich, in that of Richard II.; and has a post-office under Norwich, and a large fair on 12 and 13 May. The parish includes five hamlets, and comprises 2,603 acres. Real property;, L4,896. Pop., 751. Houses, 195. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich. Value, L251. The church is decorated English, and has a pinnacled tower. Wroestede 1044-7. An enclosure, come to mean 'homestead, farm´. Two churches are mentioned in DB . The church of St. Andrew was abandoned in the mid-16th century. Pevsner (349) consideres the church of St. Mary "one of the dozen or so grandest Norfolk parish churdches". Worstead became known for the manufactrure of the woolen cloth called worsted stuffs in the reign of Henry I (v. White 74,492).

014 014 1483 Wulcy Reginals, of Worstead 381 Grey 167056

15.     CATFIELD     A parish in Tunstead district; Norfolk; adjaent to Barton and Hickling meres, 5 3/4 miles SE of Worstead, and !0 NNE of Brundall r. station. It has a post-office under Norwich. Acres, 2,393. Real property, L4,418. Pop., 660. Houses, 162. The property is much subdivided. The living is a rectory and vicarage in the diocese of norwich. Value, L606. The church is partly later English. The name Catfield thought to be a derivative of a Scandinavian personal name: Kate.

015      1491 Wolsey Thomas, of Catfield 169b Liber 1 167056

        WESTWICK      A parish in Tunstead district, Norfolk; 2 3/4 miles S of North Walsham r. station. Post-town, North Walsham, under Norwich. Acres, 1,043. Real property, L1,511. Pop., 207. Houses, 44. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, L159. The church is good. Westwic 1086 DB, Westwyc 1250, Westwik 1155-1189. Ekwall explained this name as 'wester wic or dairy farm´. The church, dedicated to St. Botolph, is situated "away from the village, in the ground of the house.

018 018 1498 Woulcy Richard, of Westwick 42 Shaw 167057

        LESSINGHAM      A village and a parish in Tunstead district, Norfolk. The village stands near the coast, 7 miles ESE of North Walsham, and 14 NNE of Brundall r. station; and has a post-office under Norwich. The parish comprises 639 acres. Real property, L1,297. Pop., 175. Houses, 50. The property is divided among a few; and the greater part belongs to N. Cubitt, Esq. An alien priory;, under Ogbourne in Wilts, and attached to the abbey of Bec in Normandy, was founded here in the time of William Rufus; underwent change of proprietorship in the time of Henry VI; and was given, at the general dissolution, to King´s college, Cambridge. The living is a rectory, annexed to the rectory of Hempstead, in the diocese of Norwich. The church is ancient, and has a painted rood-screen. There are a national school, and charities L5. Losincham 1086 DB, Lesingham e. 1254-75. Ekwall thinks this name is identical with Leasingham. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is supposed to have been used by the monks of Lessingham Priory, which was a Benedictine foundation as a cell of the Abbey of Bec in Normandy. It was dissolved in 1415 and the possessions were eventually settled on King´s College, Cambridge, confirmed by Henry VI in 1444 and again by Edward IV in 1462. (Sandred 2:112)

053 053 1619 Wolsey* Christian, widow, of Lessingham 8 094936

HINKLING or HICKLING. ? Hikelinga 1086 DB, R1, BM. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, was appropriated to Hickling Priory until the Dissolution. The principal forms are from the Courtbooks of Hickling Overhall, Netherhall and Stannow (elsewhere abbreviated Ct. Hickling.)

055   1641 Woolsey* Richard, tanner, of Hinkling? 135 166876


        RAINHAM (East),      A parish, with a village, in Walsingham district, Norfolk; on the river Wensum, 3 3/4 miles SW of Fakenham r. station. Post-town, Brougham, under Brandon. Acres, 1,635. Real property, 2,908 pounds. Pop., 139. Houses, 31. The property belongs to Marquis Townshend. R. Hall is the Marquis's seat; was built, in 1630, by Inigo Jones; contains some very valuable paintings; and stands on an eminence, with a charming view. The living is a rectory, united with the rector of West Rainham, in the diocese of Norwich. Value, 717 pounds. Patron, Marquis Townshend. The church was restored, or rather rebuilt in 1868. Charities, 6 pounds.

          1524 Robert Robert of Raynham-Mari 33 Boldfolds 091911 PCC

01.     RYBURGH (MAGNA)      A Village and a parish in Walsingham district, Norfolk. The village stands on the river Wensum, adjacent to the Wymondham and Wells railway, 2 3/4 miles SE of Fakenham; and has a station on the railway, and a post-office under Fakenham. The parish comprises 1170 acres. Real property, L3,276. Pop., 556. Houses, 118. The living is a rectory, united with Little Ryburgh, in the diocese of Norwhich. Value, L600. The church is cruciform; was restored in 1860, at a cost of more than L1,000; and has a fine stained-glass E window, put up in 1863.

001 001 1380 Wolsey Parson of Ryburgh Magna 178 Heydon 094854     
        TESTERTON,      a parish in Walsingham district, Norfolk; 2 miles SE by S of Fakenham r. station. Post-town, Fakenham. Acres, 613. Real property, 1,186 pounds. Pop., 12. Houses, 3. T. House belongs to the trustees of the late J. Morse, Esq. The living is a rectory in the rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, 13 pounds. Patrons, Trustees. The church is in ruin.

        WALSINGHAM (Great or Old),      a parish, with a village, in Walsingham district, Norfolk; 1 mile NNE of Walsingham r. station. Post-town, Walsingham, under Fakenham. Acres 2,170. Real property, 3,762 pounds. Pop., 512. Houses, 110. The manor belongs to H. J. L. Warner, Esq. There are an iron foundry and agricultural-implement works; and Roman antiquities have been found. The living is a donative in the diocese of Norwich. Value, 163 pounds. Patron, H. J. L. Warner, Esq. The church is ancient. There are a parochial school, and charities 14 pounds.


32.     WALPOLE-ST. ANDREW      A parish, with W. St. A. village and Cross-Keys hamlet, in the district of Wisbeach and county of Norfolk; at W. r. station, 8 1/2 miles W by S of Lynn. It has a post-office under Wisbeach; and it gives the title of Baron to Earl Orford. Acres, 3,494; of which 1,130 are water. Real property, L6,131. Pop., 709. Houses, 162. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich. value, L1,259. The church is good.

        WALPOLE-ST. PETER      A village, a parish, and a sub-district, in the district of Wisbeach and county of Norfolk. The village stands near W. r. station, 8 3/4 miles W by S of Lynn; and has a post-office under Wisbeach. The parish comprises 6,982 acres. Real property, L15,776. Pop. in 1851, 1,361; in 1861, 1,252. Houses 283. Bricks and tiles are made. The Roman sea-wall crosses the parish, and Roman relics have been found. The living is a rectory in the diocese of norwich. Value, L1,187. Patron, the Crown. The church is later English. A chapel of ease is at Marshland Fen.

032      1534 Wolcye John, Walpole, St. Peter & St. Paul 66 Crawforde 094886



          1566 Kettle William, senior of Ditchingham, Norfolk 30 Folklin     
          1592 Kettle William, yeoman, of Ditchingham, Norfolk 253 Apleyarde     


          1559 Kettle John, shoemaker, of Earsham, Norfolk 399 Colman     
          1560 Kettle Margaret, widow of Earsham 320 Goldingham     


          1629 Wolsy Cath - James Hodds Boyd's Marr.6:110  


          1628 Woolsy* William - Mgt Brettane Boyd's Marr.6:113     


          1640 Woolsy Ric - Cath Richards Boyd's Marr.6113     


     1551 Wolsey, Thomas - Laborer or pyons Pyoners Norf. Rec. Soc. 6:56


          1631 Wolsy Mary - Edm. Weedes Boyd's Marr.6:110     


060      1658 Wolsey Thomas, clerk of Woolerton 690     


YARMOUTH (Great)        Gernemwa, Gernemutha 1086 DB, Gernemuda 1121-45 Reg. 1 1130 to 1194 P, Gernemutha,1136-45 BM, 1288 NoLeet, Est Jarnemuth 1349 CL, etc. The name refers to the situation, i.e. at 'the mouth of the river Yare´; v. muoa and THE YARE infra. In DB Great Yarmouth (Gernemwa) was part of East Flegg Hundred (outh developed on the west (Suffolk) side of the river. Its inhabitants, together with those of Gorleston, were often envious of the good fortune of Great Yarmouth and there were frequent controversies. North-, South-,and West refer to parts of Little Yarmouth, Est to Great Yarmouth. Olde Yermouth refers to Little Yarmouth, by then (1525) a decayed settlement. WARDS. Medieval Yarmouth was divided into four wards or leets, which are listed in a borough register from 1286 called the Yarmouth Domesday of which only an 18th century transcript survives... AN lete is a legal term meaning 'a district under the jurisdiction of a local court´.

The Rows. The rows have been called the most distinctive feature of medieval Yarmouth (Pevsner 143). They were narrow east-west passage ways connecting the main streets, which were aligned north-south. They were preserved remarkably well to the Second World War, when they were badly damaged.... Pevsner compares the layout of Yarmouth, on an intimate scale, with that of Manhattan. The Yarmouth streets were the avenues and the rows the streets. Some of the names of the rows (streets) are: Adam The Barber´s Row, Almshouse Row, Angel Row (an inn with that sign at the south-eastern corner), Beckett´s Row, Beehive Row, Black Horse Row (an inn of that name at its eastern end), Chambers, the Sail-Maker´s Row, Child The Blacksmith´s Row, Craske the Baker´s Row, Crown & Anchor, Dog and Duck Row, Robinson The Grocer´s Row, Elephant & Castle Row, Ferry Boat Row (opposite the ancient ferry over the river Bure), Fuller´s South Row (a 'fuller of cloth´ or the family name). George and Dragon Row, Glasshouse Row (a former glass factory), Horse and Cart Row, Humber Keel Row (a small vessel depicted on the sign of a neighboring pub.

Jews´ Row (from a synagogue here), Kitty Witches Row, Lamb the Butcher´s Row, Laughing Image Corner ('images´ of two children within niches on the front of a house), Lion And Lamb Row (the sign of a pub), Old Hannah´s Back Row. Mouse the Pawnbroker´s Row, Ship Tavern Row, Perry the Oatmeal Maker´s Row, Nightingale the Barber´s Row. Snatchbody Row (bodies were concealed there in some houses by "resurrectionists"), Split-Gutter Row (large open gutter down the middle).
etc, etc.

ST. NICHOLAS CHURCH. Ch. of St. Nicholas 1269 Ass, eccles. Sci Nicholai 1299 YBA, was founded by Bishop Herbert about 1100, possibly on the site of the church of St. Benet, recorded in DB and apparently of pre-Conquest origin (cf. Rutledge 1990: 42f.). It was attached to a Benedictine priory and completed in 1119. Later additions were made in the Middle Ages. In the 17th and 18th centuries it became ruinous but was restored in 1847. Badly damaged in the Second World War, it was rebuilt in 1957-60 (v. Pevsner 143, 148).

          1574 Metcaulffe Oliver, mariner, Great Yarmouth, Norfolk 329 Fairechilde     
056 056 1641 Woolsey Richard, yeoman of Great Yarmouth 177 166876


          1586 Brereton John, gent., of Yelverton 258 Jarnigo     


        HOLLAND (New) A sea-port village in Barrow-upon-Humber parish, Lincoln; on the river Humber, and opposite Hull, 4 miles E by N of Barton-upon-Humber. It has a station on the railway, a post-office under Hull, a steam-ferry to Hull, a coast-guard station, a national school, and a Wesleyan chapel; and the school-room is used as a chapel of ease. The pop., in 1852, was 401, and was then rapidly increasing; but was not separately returned in 1861.

044      1589 Wolsey John, moulton, Holland, Lincolnshire          


046      1595 Wolsey John, of Mukweston? Salop -Shropshire of Weston     


BRAMFIELD    The will of Alice Bakon, exhibited by Richard Maunger, Executor:

          1510 Wulcy, Deacon? William vicar of Bramfield 16 Sept. C.C. dep.

FLIXTON      A parish in Suffolk - there are four Flixtons and must find out which?

036      1561 Woolseye Christian, widow, of Flixton & S. Elmham, Suffolk 402 Bircham 094900-1

        IPSWICH      A town and a district in Suffolk. The town stands on the river Gipping or Orwell, at the point where the river exchanges the former name for the latter, and on the Great Eastern railway, 17 miles NE of Colchester, 25 SE by E of Bury-St.-Edumunds, and 68 NE of London. Three lines of railway go from it toward respectively Colchester, Saxmundham, and Bury-St.-Edmunds; seventeen roads radiate from it toward all the points of the compass; the river Gipping gives ti a considerable reach of inland navigation; and the Orwell, which extends hence to the sea at Harwich, and his throughout an estuarial character, gives it seaward out let to all the ports of the world.
             History. Ipswich was a town in the time of the Saxons; belonged chiefly to Edith, the wife of the Confessor; was pillaged by the Danes in 991, 993, and 1000; and figured at Domesday as Gypeswic or Gyppewicus. That name signifies Gipping´s town, or the town of the Gipping; and it came, in course of time, to be written first Yppswyche, the Ipswich. Fortifications, including rampart and ditch, are believed to have been round the town in the time of the Saxons, and to have been partially destroyed by the Danes. A castle is said to have been erected by William the Conqueror, and to have been demolished by King Stephen.New fortifications, chiefly a wall round the town, with four gates named from the cardinal points, were constructed in the fifth year of John; and traces of the wall still exist.. . . . it was the scene of three martyrdoms in the time of Mary;. Edward I. kept Christmas here in 1297, Edward III. spent Whitsuntide here in 1350; Elizagbeth was here in 1561, 1565, and 1578. Cardinal Wolsey, Bishops Brownrig and Laney, Butler, the physician of James I., Clara Reeve, author of the "Old English Baron", Sarah Trimmer, a voluminous religious writer, and Duck, a minor poet, were natives. The Cardinal Wulcy´s father, follows:

017      1496 Wulcy Robert, of Ippyswche, Essex ____ Multon 094869
        PAKEFIELD      A village and a parish in Mutford district, Suffolk. The village stands on the coast, 2 miles SSW of Lowestoft r. station; and has a post-office under Lowestoft. The parish comprises 686 acres of land and 85 of water. Real property, L2,056. Pop. 768. Houses, 182. The property is much subdivided. ... The coast is very dangerous, and has suffered considerable encroachment by the sea. . . . Bloodmere hill is said to have been the scene of a battle with the Danes; is crowned with a barrow; and , in 1780, yielded a number of pieces of ancient armor... The church is ancient but good; comprises two quondam churches, forming a double aisle; has a thatched roof and an embattled tower; and contains an octagonal font, a silver chalice of 1337, and two brasses of 1417 and 1451.

016      1496 Wolsall Nicholas, of Pakfield, Suffolk 144 Multon 094869


Email contacts