Statement of Mrs. Ewbanks.
Statement of Mrs. Ewbanks.

The Captives.

Left to Right: Dannie Marble, Laura Roper, Isabel Eubank, Ambrose Asher.


    Of Mrs. Ewbanks, giving an account of her captivity among the Indians. She was taken by the CHEYENNES, and was one of the prisoners proposed to be given up by Black Kettle, White Antelope and others, in the Council at Denver.
    Mrs. Lucinda Ewbanks states that she was born in Pennsylvania; is 24 years of age; she resided on the Little Blue, at or near the Narrows. She says that on the 8th day of August, 1864, the house was attacked, robbed, burned, and herself and two children, with her nephew and Miss Roper, were captured by the Cheyenne Indians. Her eldest child, at the time, was three years old; her youngest was one year old; her nephew was six years old. When taken from her home, was, by the Indians, taken south across the Republican, and west to a creek the name of which she does not remember. Here, for a short time, was their village or camping place. They were traveling all winter. When first taken by the Cheyennes, she was taken to the lodge of an old chief whose name she does [not] recollect. He forced me, by the most terrible threats and menaces, to yield my person to him. He treated me as his wife. He then traded me to Two Face, a Sioux, who did not treat me as a wife, but forced me to do all menial labor done by squaws, and he beat me terribly. Two Face traded me to Black Foot (Sioux) who treated me as his wife, and because I resisted him his squaws abused and ill-used me. Black Foot also beat me unmercifully, and the Indians generally treated me as though I was a dog, on account of my showing so much detestation towards Black Foot. Two Face traded for me again. I then received a little better treatment. I was better treated among the Sioux than the Cheyennes, that is, the Sioux gave me more to eat. When with the Cheyennes, I was often hungry. Her purchase from the Cheyennes was made early last Fall, and she remained with them until May, 1865. During the winter the Cheyennes came to buy me and the child for the purpose of burning us, but Two Face would not let them have me. During the winter we were on the North Platte, the Indians were killing the whites all the time and running off their stock. They would bring in the scalps of the whites and show them to me and laugh about it. They ordered me frequently to wean my baby, but I always refused; for I felt convinced if he was weaned they would take him from me and I should never see him again. They took my daughter from me just after we were captured, and I never saw her after. I have seen the man to day who had her--his name is Davenport. He lives in Denver. He received her from a Dr. Smith. She was given up by the Cheyennes to Major Wynkoop, but from injuries received while with the Indians, she died last February. My nephew also was given up to Major Wynkoop, but he, too, died at Denver. The Doctor said it was caused by bad treatment from the Indians. Whilst encamped on the North Platte, Elston, [Capt. E. B. Murphy - chw] came to the village, and I went with him and Two Face to Fort Laramie.
    I have heard it stated that a story had been told by me, to the effect that Two Face's son had saved my life. I never made any such statement, as I have no knowledge of any such thing, and I think if my life had been in danger he would not have troubled himself about it.
    (Signed)           LUCINDA EWBANKS.
Witness: J. H. Triggs, 1st Lt. Comd'g Co. D. 7th Iowa Cavalry; E. B. Zabriskie, Capt. 1st Cav. Nev. Volunteers, Judge Advocate, Dist. of the Plains.
    JULESBURG, C. T., June 22, 1865.


Ewbanks, Lucinda, "Statement of Mrs. Ewbanks, Giving an Account of Her Captivity Among the Indians," Daily Rocky Mountain News, Denver, Co., Monday, 13 September, 1865, p. 2, c. 4.


    I would like to thank Jim Kroll, [email protected], Manager of the Western History/Genealogy Department of the Denver Public Library, one more time for all his efforts. Like the report of the Camp Weld Council, Jim copied the missing portion of this newspaper report twice too. Hurricane Isabel once again managed to gobble up the first copy and Jim was kind enough to go back into the microfilm for me a second time and recopy it. Jim, I am humbled and grateful.

    All my best,


Created October 3, 2003; Revised October 3, 2003
Comments to [email protected]

Copyright © 2003 by Christopher H. Wynkoop, All Rights Reserved

This site may be freely linked to but not duplicated in any fashion without my written consent.

Site map

The Wynkoop Family Research Library