Union township is the north township in the center tier, or district No. 2. In dimensions it is five miles north and south, and six miles east and west, containing thirty sections, and in round numbers 19,200 acres of land. The township is bounded, north, by a portion of Blackford county; east, by Niles township; south, by Hamilton, and west, by Washington.
The first land entered in section 7 in Union township was the west half of the southwest quarter. This entry was made by John Ginn on May 1, 1830, and the last entry in the section was made by John Reasoner on October 9, 1835. The others entering land between these dates, in this section, were Josiah McVicker, William Jobes, Isaac Swisher and John Hamilton. The present land owners in section 7 are Eli H. Roderick, J. W. McVicker, William Craw, M. E. Waters, E. M. Stiffler, E. Johnson, M. Butcher, J. E. Edwars, (trustee) and Liberty Ginn. The section has a public road east and west through the north half, and another along a part of the south line. The Mississinewa river crosses the southwest corner of the section in a northwest course.
There were no entries recorded in section 8 until October 23, 1833. The original purchasers of this section were Leonard Cline, John Seekors, John Reasoner, Jr., Nathaniel and Henry Skinner, James Chenowith and Isaac Swisher. The land owners of this section are now W. H. Pursley, Eli H. Roderick, J. W. Long, O. P. Dunn, D. Smith, Sr., J. R. McVicker, E. Roderick, G. Waters and William Craw. The section has a gravel pike along the east line, also publie roads on the south line across the north half, and three-fourths of the way across the west half. School No. 5 is in the southwest quarter of this section.
Section 9 was entered in 1835, '36 and '37 by John W. Pyke, Isaac Miller, Ashford Roberts, John Flummer, William Adsit, John Reasoner, Sr., and Letice Shideler. The present owners of section 9 are E. Holden, H. Smith, W. H. Pursley, M. M. Barnes and Isabel Adsit. This section has a gravel pike along the west line, and public roads on the east and south.
Section 10 was all taken up in 1836, Jacob Shideler entered the southeast quarter May 23, 1836, Jacob Gayman the north half September 20, 1836 and William Adsit the southwest quarter November 21, 1836. The section is now owned by H. Strong, Jonathan Smith's heirs, J. Lambert, P. W. Dunn, W. and M. Haynes and H. Smith. Section 10 has public roads on the east, south and west lines. The Smith ditch crosses the southwest quarter, running south of east.
Section 11 was also entirely purchased of the government in the year of 1836 by John Lambert, John Gayman, Abraham Gray, Abraham Shideler, Archibald Ray and Daniel Haynes. This section is now owned by J. L. Lambert, A. Campbell, W. Campbell, Alexander Dunn, O. Campbell, M. Jester, G. Haynes, B. F. Haynes, M. L. McGrath, S. A. Haynes, and J. Martin. Section 11 has public roads on the east, south and west lines. The L. E. & W. railroad passes through the section about thirty-five rods east of the center, and school house No. 2 is situated in the southeast corner of the section.
Section 12 is the northeast section of the township and its lands were entered in the years of 1835-36 and '37 by Ephraim Link, William Shearon, Aaron Mote, Patrick Carmichael and John Lambert. This section (12) is generally divided into small farms, there being some sixteen owners of land in the section. They are E. Blazier, W. R. Toll, G. W. Bosman, S. J. Peck, A. and P. Carmichael, J. L. Lambert, S. J. Guthrie, N. S. Gothrup, P. Schetgen, J. L. Ferguson, W. W. Holdren, Lewis T. Bosman, O. and S. Carmichael, and G. W. Blodgett. The section has public roads on the south and west, and the old Fort Wayne road crosses the section at an angle of about fifteen degrees east of north.
Section 13, lying south of 12 and adjoining Niles township on the east (as also does section 12), was entered in 1836, except three 80-acre tracts that had been entered the previous year by John McLain, Archibald McLain, and William Ray. Those buying in 1836 were John McLain, Aaron Mote, and Samuel Mote. The section is owned at this time (sixty-four years after the first title was given) by G. W. McLain, Charles McLain, P. Schetgen, R. and H. McLain, S. Scott, S. Younce, D. P. Orr, E. and S. Morris, L. E. Wasson, E. S. Babb, and A. N. Foorman. Thirteen is surrounded by public roads, with the old Fort Wayne road angling across the eastern part.
In 1835 Hiram Cochran and Peter Shideler each secured an 80-acre tract in section 14. Then during the following year, 1836, Mr. Shideler entered another 80, John Van Buskirk an 80, Abraham Shideler 240, and David Shideler an 80, which consumed all the land in the section. Fourteen is now owned by J. K. Cochran, R Cochran, M. L. Brandt, A. S. Chitty, J. L. Martin, D. Brandt, M. J. Morris, H. Holmes, H. E. McLain, B. McLain. D. Haines, and John Babb. This section lies north of and adjoining the town of Eaton. It has public roads on each section line, and also north and south through the center.
Section 15 was entered in 1836, with the exception of one 80-acre tract taken up by Joshua Shideler, in July, 1835. The persons securing the lands in this section were Joshua Shideler, Abraham Shideler, David Shideler, Peter Shideler, Benjamin Harris, Sarah Rardon, and Nancy Rardon. The title to the lands in 15 is now held by Robert L. Brandt, F. J. Carter, H. Smith, W. S. Bell, J. S. Clouse, D. Babb, M. O'Conner, and E. Taylor. Section 15 has a public road on each section line.
Adjoining section 15 on the west is school section 16, which was sold on November 11, 1836, to three individuals, as follows: Caleb Sharon bought the northeast quarter at $2.50 per acre, the east half of the southeast quarter at $2.00 per acre, the west half of the southeast quarter at $2.50 per acre; Mr. William Adsit bought the southwest quarter at $4.00 per acre, and John Craw bought the northwest quarter at $2.25 per acre, the entire section thus bringing the sum of $1,760. The owners of land in 16 at this time are J. T. Nottingham, W. A. Michael, R. Waiters, Carrie Adsit, H. Holdren and William Cox. Section 16 has public roads on the east and north lines, a gravel pike on the west and the Albany and Jonesboro pike touches the southwest corner. School house No. 3 is located in the northeast corner of the section.
Section 17 was entered in the years 1833 to 1837. The persons securing the public domain in this section were Samuel Skinner, William Craw, Elizabeth Flummer, Maria Sarah Flummer, Richard Craw, Samuel Lyle Black and Elijah Collins. The freeholders of Section 17 are now O. P. Dunn, J, R. McVicker, H. and H. Crow, H. Meyer, R. E. Craw and Jesse Nixon. This section has free gravel pikes on the east and south, public roads on the north and north and south through the west half. The Mississinewa River crosses the southwest corner of the section. All the balance of the section lies on the north side of the river.
Section 18 joins Washington township on the west, and lies east of the village of Wheeling one mile. Eighteen was an early settled section. The first entry was made by John Ginn on November 30, 1830. This was the east half of the northwest quarter. Mr. Ginn made subsequent entries in the section in 1832 and 1833. However, the last of the public land in section 18 was not entered until May 26, 1836. The persons besides John Ginn securing land in this section: were David Ashby, Havillah Green, John W. Harter and Liberty and Joseph Ginn. There are but three land owners at present in this section, and all are well known througbout the county. They are R. E. Crow, Jesse Nixon and Liberty Ginn. Eighteen has a pike crossing the south and southwest part, a public road along a portion of the north and also across the northwest corner. The Mississinewa crosses the northeast corner, cutting off about one-third of the section.
Section 19 lies south of 18 and also joins Washington township on the west. Its lands were entered in 1833 '35 '36 and '37 by Havillah Green, Sarah Ginn, John W. Harter, Moses Hinton, Reason Griffin and Thomas and George (Jr.) Carter. The land of this section is owned at present by Jesse Nixon, Liberty Ginn, M. E. Turner, C. L. Johnson, M. Thompson, Andrew Johnson and W. Spitlet. Nineteen has public roads on the east, south and west. Also the Albany pike on the northeast corner where is located school house No. 6.
Section 20, just east of and joining 19, was entered in the years of 1832 to '36 by Wm. Flutamer, Elijah Collins, Richard Craw, John Flummer, Charles Royster, minor heir of Charles Royster, Sr., Daniel Cochran and George Comstock. Present day section 20 is owned by D. Geyer, M. Craw, R. E. Craw, G. W. Collins, J. G. Delong, S. Barrick and M. A. Delong. Twenty is surrounded by good roads, and the Mississinewa crosses the northwest corner.
East of 20 is section 21, which was entered in 1832, to 1836, inclusive, by Wm. Cox, Isaac Cox, Samuel Wilson, Jacob Shideler, Jesse Lincomb and Peter Grimes. The owners of this section are now Wm. Cox, I. J. Hunt, Carrie Adsit, J. U. Studebaker and Joseph W. Younce. Twenty-one has a good supply of good roads, and is well drained by the Mississinewa, crossing the north half of the section.
The two first entries of land made in section 22, were by Nimrod Jester and Tristram Starbuck, both entries made in 1826. The balance of the section was entered in 1830, '31, '32, '33, '34 and '36, by John Essley, Abraham Zemar, Samuel Elliott, James Harter and James Galbreath. The present land owners of section 22 are J. and R. Dragoo, J. L. Minnick, M. Highland, J. A. Thomas, A. Rench, J. Evans, J. S. Kirkwood and William Cox. This section has six miles of public road, there being one on each section line, and two passing through the section east and west, one on either side of the Mississinewa river, which crosses the section near the center in a north of west direction.
Section 23 was taken up in the years of 1833 and 1836, inclusive. The parties first purchasing the lands in this section were Abraham Shideler, Washington Heldren, John Irvin, Absalom Edwards, Reuben Hampton, Isaac Edwards, Samuel Kite, Ochmig Bird, Benjamin Harris and James Harter. The present owners of land in section 23 outside of the corporation of the town of Eaton are E. N. Clouse, J. S. Clouse, J. Pixley and J. and R. Dragoo. However, as the amount of land owned by these parties and lying in section 23 is only 194 acres, it will be seen that the town of Eaton covers more than two-thirds of the section, and we have neither space nor data for giving the names of all the owners of realty in the thriving young city of Eaton. The Mississinewa river crosses the southwest portion of the section. School No. 1 is in the town of Eaton, and the German Baptist or Dunkard church is in the southwest quarter of the section.
Section 24 is the center of the township north and south, and in the east tier of sections. The lands of the section were entered in 1831, '32, '34 and '35, by William McCalister in 1831, by Junius McMillan in 1832, George and William Shearon in 1834, and Aaron Mote and James McMillan in 1835. The corporation of the town of Eaton now covers the southwest quarter of the section, while the other three quarters are owned by D. A. Barley, M. Long, W. H. Propps, R. M Carter, M. Babb, Mississinewa Land and Improvement Co., and F. R. Foorman.
Section 25, lying south of 24, and joining Niles township on the east was entered by William Essley in 1830, Francis Harris, in 1831, Reason Iams in 1832, Jacob Shideler, Roland Hughes and Mary James in 1833, and James B. Hatter in 1836. About 28 acres, or that part of the section in the northwest quarter and lying north of the river, is also claimed by the town of Eaton, while the other lands of the section are owned by W. Peterson, H. Metcalf, G. W. Carter's heirs, William Bost and David Gump. The Mississinewa river enters this section a short distance north of the southeast corner and leaves it about the same distance south of the northwest corner, thus dividing the section into two almost equal right angle triangles. The Leard Cemetery is located in the southwest corner of the east half of the southeast quarter of the section.
Section 26, lying west of 25, was entered in 1833, '35 and '36, by Joseph Batreall, Jacob Gump, Joseph Snider, Hannah Studebaker, James Bowman, John Meek and William Mendenhall. About one-half of the northeast quarter of this section (the north part) is also within the corporate limits of Eaton. The other parts of the section are owned by the Eaton Land and Improvement Co., J. Pixley, S. Lamar, David Gump, S. and E. Smith, Mary Younce, S. R. Smith and R, Brandt et, al. The section is well supplied with public roads, and has the L. E. & W. railroad crossing it north and south near the center. School No. 11 (also a church) is situated in the southwest corner of the section.
Section 27 was all entered in 1836 and 1837, except the east half of the northeast quarter (80 acres), which was entered by David Studebaker on the 27th day of October, 1835. The others entering land in the section were James Galbreath, Mary Ann McCormick, James Frazer, Philip Hedrick, Jesse Lincome, Emelie Galbreath and William Lewis. This section is owned at present (1899) by J. Garrard, H. Wittemyer, J. Evans, J. S. Kirkwood, J. H. Shoup, J. V. Studebaker, William Frazee, I. Custer, W. and M. Gump et al., Robt. L. Brandt and C. T. Bartlett. The Studebaker pike is on the east line, and there are public roads on the north, south and west.
Section 28 was all entered by four entries as follows: James Frazer entered the northeast quarter June 4, 1836, and on August 6 of the same year he entered the southeast quarter. The first of these entries is now owned by William Frazee and D. S. Rench, and the last, or southwest quarter, by John Evans. The northwest quarter of the section was entered on May 27, 1836, in the name of Virginia Royster, minor heir of Charles Royster, and on the same day the southwest quarter was entered in the name of Nancy, minor heir of Charles Royster. The present owners of that part of the section entered by the two heirs of Mr. Royster are G. R. Mansfield, F. Kiplinger and E. Younce. School No. 8 is located on the north side of this section at the half section line, and the section is surrounded by a public road on each line.
In 1834 James Love and Matthew Smith each entered 80 acres in section 29, and in the following year (1835) there were two 80-acre tracts entered by John Fipper. Then, in 1836, the remaining four 80-acre tracts were entered by Charles Royster, Jr., minor heir of Charles Royster, Sr., Jonathan Jones two 80's, and James Love another 80. This section is now divided into small farms, owned by W. S. Isgrig, S. J. Duke, S. Duke, R. C. Wisehart, Union National Bank of Muncie, L. Miller. M. Rarrick, Snider and McKinley S. Rarrick, J. and A. Miller, N. A. Riggin and J. E. Smith. The section has a road on each section line, and Pike creek crosses it in a northwesterly course.
The northeast quarter of the northeast quarter of section 30 (40 acres)was entered on September 25, 1835, by Matthew Smith, and all the remainder of the section was entered during the following year (1836) by Matthew R. Smith, John J. Adsit, William Martin and Jonathan Jones. The present land owners in section 30 are Union National Bank of Muncie, B. Studebaker, T. Hedgeland, Andrew Johnson, A. J. Clifford, L. M. Hinton, C. Johnson, H. Wood and M. Williams. This section also has a public road on each section line. The west line is the township line between Union and Washington. School house No. 7 is in the southeast corner of the section.
Section 31 is the southwest corner of the township. The public lands in this section were purchased in the years of 1835 to 1838 by Stephen Dunlap, Eliza Wildy Wilson, William Adsit, William Daily, John W. Stafford, Thomas Williams, and Joseph Wilson, Jr., and are now owned by A. Johnson, E. Shields, William Carroll, W. Fine, D. S. Rarrick, Eli Snider, F. A. Waller, S. F. Woodring, J. Wilhelm, G. Monroe, J. Rench and S. Rench. The section has a free gravel pike along the north line, and public roads on the east and south.
The west half of the northwest quarter of section 32 (80 acres) was entered on the 14th day of December, 1835, by Stephen Dunlap, and the balance of the section was entered in 1836 by the same man and Robert Huston, Willis Hance, Isaac Mendenhall, and John W. Stafford. The section is owned at present by C. F. Eiler, W. A. Brinson, D. M Shoemaker, D. M. Snider, J. B. Rench, Snider and McKinley, John Snider, and F. A. Waller. Thirty-two has a gravel road on both the east and north lines, and public roads on the west and south.
Aside from one 80 and one 30-acre tract that were entered in section 33 in 1835, the section was entered in 1836. The first owners of land in the section were Willlam Mendenhall, John Houston, Vincent Martin, Samuel Martin, Abraham C. Culbertson, Nicholas Sherry, and Simeon Maxson. Section 33 is also a section of small farms, no one person owning more than 80 acres in the section. The owners of this section are A. Harkle, A. Russell, G. Russell, R. Hest, Snider et al., C. F. Eiler, F. Waller, I. H. Shideler, N. and R, Minnick, G. L. Calvert et al , John Snider and S. Studebaker. Good roads surround the section. There is a Baptist church located on the northwest quarter, and school house No. 9 on the southwest.
There were no entries of public lands in section 34 until 1836, in which year the entire section was entered, except two 40-acre tracts, both of these being entered the following year (1837). The original land owners in 34 were David Sherry , Eli H. Ross, Daniel Sherry, Thomas Ewell, James Egnew, Israel Martin, Elizabeth Martin, and Vincent Martin. None of the original owners' names are now found in the section, the present owners being A. Studebaker, J. A. Frazee, W. Snitzer, M. Snitzer, A. C. Young, A. Miller, A. Snider, G. Cruea, W. H. Taylor, C. A. Manor and William Brown.
Section 35 was also settled in 1836 and 1837. Its lands were first purchased by John Gregory, Maltsell M. Cary, Harvey Millspaugh, George Pyke, David Sherry, Thomas McCormick, Joseph S. Austin, Sarah Simonton, Joseph Hance, Michael Thomas, Solomon McKee, and William Sleeth. Michael Thomas entered the northeast quarter of the southeast quarter (40 acres), lying just north of the present village of Shideler, on the 20th day of January, 1837. Section 35 is presently owned by J. Cunkle, T. Leard, Mary Younce, J. A. Frazee, W. Saunders, M. Cruea, M. Darton, A. L. Lewellen, A. Darton, L. Cruea, and E. M. Rairigh. The section has four miles of good road, the L. E. & W. railroad crosses it, and one-half of the village of Shideler is within its borders.
Section 36, the southeast section of the township, was entered in 1833, '34, '35, and '36 by William Gregory, Ephraim Laird, Peter R. Bradshaw, Samuel Payton, George Laird, Nancy Egnew and William Guthrey. The present owners are I. C. Goodrich, S. Laird, W. Peterson, J. R. Simonton, T. G. Gibson, S. and C. Deeter, J. Cunkle and M. Swearengen. The section is well provided with roads. School No. 10 is in the northwest corner. The section has two postoffice towns within one and two-third miles of its borders.
(End of Union Township-Click NEXT for Hamilton Township)