The David M. White - Malinda Brown Family
This White family lived in Spartanburg, SC, and migrated west to Tennessee, in the Marion
County and Sequatchie Valley area, particularly Whitwell, TN. Some of the descendents may have
gone south, to Georgia and Alabama, but the branch I'm interested in moved to western Kentucky
and Tennessee, around Obion County, TN and Fulton County, KY. I'm connected to this family
through my mother, Uzelle White.
The progenitor, at least to date, is David M. White (b. 1805 d. 17 Apr, 1891 in Spartanburg).
His wife was Malinda Brown, and Melinda's father was William Brown. Their marriage took place
in 1837 in Spartanburg, SC. All of their children were born in Spartanburg except the last three:
Durham, Thomas and Permilia.
My information is from various contributors, some of whom have posted at
RootsWeb They include Euline Harris, Betty McBee,
Kathleen Flick, Karla Lynch, Carole Colvin and Charlotte Matthews. A great deal of information is the
work of Thomas D. White, who submitted family group sheets to the LDS library in Salt Lake City.
I've gotten some things from the LDS site Family Search
David M. White's and Melinda Brown's seven sons and two daughters are enumerated below:
1. James Samuel White (b. 20 Dec 1838 d. 17 Jan 1878) married Elizabeth Griffith
(b. 24 Jan 1842 d. 17 Mar 1881). James Samuel was born in Spartanburg, SC, but he relocated
to Marion County, TN. He and Elizabeth are both buried at Red Hill Cemetary in Whitwell, TN.
They had five male children, all born in Marion County, TN
- George David White (1868-1942) m. Ada Mae Powell (1871-1941)
- William H. White (1869-1952)
- John W. White b. 1871
- Benjamin White (1873-1915) m. Pearl C.?
- Lawrence (Lonnie) White (1875-1950) m. Lilly Griffith (1876-1948)
James Samuel White's first son, George David White, married Ada Mae Powell farmed and reared
a large family in western Kentucky and Tennessee. They had four daughters and eight
My mother, Uzelle, was the daughter of Rollie Chesley White and Pauline Metheny.
- Martha Isabelle (Mattie) White (1887-1957) m. Will Van Cleve
- James Barton (Jimmy) White (1888-1946) m. Francis ?
- John Earl (Johnie) White (1891-1967) m. Bernice High
- William Franklin (Billy) White's wife's name is unknown
- Lawrence Lafaye (Laurencey) White (1895-1960) m.. Leitha Conley
- Rollie Chesley White (1897-1978)) m. Pauline Metheny (1902-(198?)
- Hubert Lawson White m. Mary Pierce
- Lilly Florence White (1899-1967) m. Willie Metcalf
- Oscar Gardiner Whtie (1901-1924 m. Zoella Clark
- Virgil Heyden White (1904-1986) m. Alda Clark
- Eva Elizabeth White (1907-1987) m. Ferris Smith
- Della Mae White (1909-1988) m1. Charles Crockett and m2. Arnold Bannasch
||George and Ada are in the center holding the two children. Ada's parents
were Barton Powell and Martha Jane Bryant. Barton Powell's parents were John
Crawford Powell and Phoebe Jackson.
2. William White (1841-) m. Susan Douglas
3. John White (1843-) m1. Minnie Ritchie m2. Lillie Holloway
4. Archabald White b. 1845 in SC
5. Nancy E. White (1847-) m. John Griffith
6. Zachary Taylor White b. 20 Dec 1838 d. May, 1922) first married Sarah Jane Anderson (1856-1886) and
later Elizabeth Sexton Boatwright. Sarah Jane Anderson's parents were William Anderson and
Rachel McNabb. There were one daughter and five sons by Zachary Taylor White and Sarah Jane
- Dulcina White b. 1874
- William Harston White b. 1876
- John Benjamin White b. 1878
- David Crockett White b.6 Oct 1879 d. 16 Apr 1925)
- Thomas Jefferson White b. 29 Oct 1881 d. 30 Oct 1969)
- James Andrew White b. 29 Jun 1886 (died at birth)
The family of Zachary Taylor White and Elizabeth Sexton Boatwright had seven daughters and
- James Luther White b. 15 May 1893 d. 18 Dec 1946 m. Maggie Mae Frederick
- Mary White b. 12 Oct 1887
- Ruth Ann White b. 18 Jun 1889
- Ida White b. 25 Sep 1890 d. 1951
- Carrie Adeline White
- Laura Jane White b. 3 Jul 1904 d. 1986
- Jessie Viola White b. 16 Dec 1906 d. 23 Apr 1977
- Annie Ruth White b. 25 Jun 1899
- James Edward White b. 11 Jul 1895 d. <1900
7. Durham White b. 1852 in Alabama
8. Permilia Caroline White (Amelia) b. 1855 in Crown Point, Marion, TN m. Harris (Tip) Griffin
9. Thomas White b. 1858 in Whitwell, Marion County, TN