Pioneer settlers used this site for burials as early as 1856. In 1865 it was part of 20.5 acres deeded to the Methodist church for a school and church by Rezi Jarvis Banks (1817-1889), a confederate army veteran born in Tennessee. Among the earliest marked graves is that of Bank's wife Minerva (1822-1893). In the late 1800's Auburn was a thriving farming community with four churches, stores, and a post office. Later the lack of high school facilities and the bypassing of Auburn by the railroad compelled residents to move away. The cemetery is a link with the town's past.
TEXAS HISTORICAL COMMISSION