Diary of Jethro Bachelder pages 18 to 24  
Pages 18 to 24
Life of Jethro Bachelder
1840 - 1933
1777- Josiah Payne left northern Ireland for America.
1780- Lived in Boston.
1795-  Lived on Granby Ridge. The old road between Granby and Waterloo.
1793-  Married and had five daughters and four sons. Elizabeth married Frank Standish. Priscilla married Edward. Jane married William Pane.---- married Hefferman Shefford. Susie married Bill Ashton. 
Phebe married John Carden, Rougemont. Mary married John Dyer, hotel keeper, Montreal, where the American House now stands. Catherine married Joseph Dyer, carter in St. Ann, Montreal. Took up a rocky farm in the woods.
1858- William and Edward Payne were coal dealers in Newark, N.J. Wealthy.
1848- Edward died. Two daughters., Blanche and Lizzy. Were educated at Flushing Ladies Seminary, Flushing, N.Y. 1835 Lizzie born.
William, Robert, George, sons. William Senior claimed all the property. Blanche married Cook, druggist of New York. The mother and the rest of the family came to Rougemont in 1848. Occupied the old farm house with no windows, no fences, no barn. Priscilla had some grit. Her brothers and sisters helped her get a start. Lizzie and William taught school. Robert farmed.  George----Lizzie when I first saw her. Brother Sias and Marietta were her choice playmates. At sixteen she and Sias became engaged. 
1854-       Sias left for California. He lost his money so often, the fault of others. He was discouraged and did not write to Lizzie. She taught school in Rougemont. Her friends advised her to marry James Standish, a fine appearing man, but whiskey was his master. No man can serve two masters.  James would drive to St. Césaire in a hay cart and come home as full as a tick. The mare would stand at the gate until someone would open it. No one to do so but Lizzie, one half mile to the gate. She never complained. Always a lady. James died in 1893, 80 years of age. He had a saw and grist mill. Robert Carden was her helper many years. William Code built a house like a city home. Lizzies idea. Superior to any house in Rougemont. He had a large orchard. He was a neat complete mechanic. Sias came home in 1865. He called on her and said "Why did you not wait for me as you promised". Her answer was "I did wait, much disappointed, but you never sent me a word". So went two disappointed lives. She died in 1928. 93 years of age. Frank Standish died 100 years of age in 1900.
Previous to 
and after1818.
Old Settlers of Rougemont

      When my father, 16, and Uncle Sias 18 reached Rougemont, there were two families of Standish from the north of Ireland. One family seemed more refined than the other one. The father Matthew was larger, much more sociable and charitable. Built a house of wood. Were good farmers. Once had a brewery. John the eldest son took the father's place after his death. The mother, Susie was a lady, in fact, seven sons were born,-- John, Robert, Matthew, Richard, Joseph, William and James. Four daughters,- Susie, Rebecca, Jane, and Priscilla. John put Matthew, Joseph and William into the (Great) Wood of Shefford to clear their farms. William and Joseph got wealthy. Matthew married a refined lady in Montreal. She went with the three brothers but couldn't accomodate herself to the rough men and such living. They lived in a one room log house. Matthew and wife went to New York. There Ed was born. He came to visit his uncles in 1858. A brick layer by trade.. He helped on the farm to the satisfaction of his uncles.  Rebecca Ashton, a neice complained and found fault with him, so he left and married Fanny Bean. His uncles would not let him have a horse to go to Abbotsford to attend a New Year ball. I drove him over. There he met Fanny for the first time. They married and lived on a farm in Stanstead. In 1864 Judith Ann and I visited them.  After we came to California, we became acquainted with Susie, Ed Standish's daughter. Mrs. Drew on Long Street.

1846 Tyliston Dickey was engaged to Fanny Bean. He sold apples for his father who had a large orchard on the road which led to Robert Corbins. Tyliston had silver coins in his pockets and jingled then so every one could hear. The French girls would say "Mon Dieu, qu'il est riche!" He and his two brothers, Dustin and Enoch all married French girls. Tyliston drank so Fanny gave him up. There were 40 families living in Rougemont when my father got there. I cannot remember them all. There were Downeys, Phelps, Perkins, Jacksons, Dickey, Osborn, Truox. Those two families were outlaws drunkards and thieves, though their children proved to be good citizens.
Jane Osborn and Mary Truox sold their houses.
1836 - Philip Truox. worked for father many years.  My mother told him if he would plant every apple tree that he found, he could have apples from those trees so long as he lived.  He put out a good sized orchard.  Many still bearing in-- - -.   Mr. Philip Truox paid me a visit and told me all about it.  I offered him the apples as my mother had.  He said "No, I am living in Renton and have many more apples than I can use."  When the Osborns and Truox families moved from Rougemont, Peter Truox said that Rougemont took-- - -?

 Mrs. Osborn often went to borrow butter from Mrs. Dickey.  While the was getting one pound she stole another.  The Dickey boys kept her talking until the butter in her pocket melted.  She would "Oh la me, I didn't know that I put that butter that I borrowed into that pocket."

Cardin         Truox     Pinkham      Yates       Parker
Code        Osborn       Thomas      Johnson    Welch
Sanders       Bradford       Hyde       Elkins      Evans
Wilkins         Campbell      J.J. Higgins

1847 -   We had a common shool house.  The seats were long and a 14 inch space underneath.  Boys often crawled around under the benches.
  They would pinch the girls until they squealed.  A red headed Irish teacher would say "Well, girl, who did that?"  "I don't  know." "Girl, you saw him."  "I did not."  There were no matches at that time.  The teacher  brought coals from Mr. Robert Standish where he boarded.  One morning the wind was blowing, a spark got into his pocket.  When he entered the school room he said "Put me out." They did put him out doors.  By that time one. quarter of his coat was burned.

 Robert Evans was always chewing pine gum.  The teacher sat on a high chair 15 feet away from the benches.  "Robert., pitch. me the pine gum."  Robert threw it and it stuck in the teacher1s red whiskers.  The more he tried to get it out, the tighter it stuck. One day he hauled Robert up to give a whaling with a rule.  Robert grabbed his gold watch, broke the chain then ran under the seats. The old man ran all around the seats, but gave it up.  When I--I'll whale the life out of you."

1851 -  That winter a singing school was held there.  Candles were used at that time.  At the close of singing one night, the candles were thrown in the cupboard in a hurry.  The school house burned down, was replaced by a new one  made of brick.
1852 -  The singing school was held in Uncle Sias's large room upstairs, by a Mr. Lawrence from Boston.  Once in two weeks.  He always gave a funny song at the last.  One night he sang "The Witch".  When she died,. he gave an unearthly scream and jumped from behind the blackboard all dressed in white.  The girls were frightened and said it was a ghost.  Aunt Harriet was a good singer.
1848 -   Protestant schools were established.  Separate schools they were called.  The first teacher was  a Miss Knowlton.  She was a terror. She used a ferrule on some scholars every day.  We stood in the centre of the floor with a heavy book in one hand and forbidden to change hands.  George Downing was up on the floor nearly every day.  He would say "I can't hold it." and down it would go with a thump.  Then he was ordered to hold out his hand to the ferrule.  She would hold his hand and strike. He would pull his hand away and the ruler would strike her own hand.  George would say "I know what makes. you so mad. You want to marry Captain Bachelder and he won't have you." Her face would become as white as snow with temper.  She was hell on wheels.  She did not get the next term.  She married Sam Wood of East Farnham.  When he came courting he stayed a week at a time.  Father was glad to see her heels for the last time.
1842 -  Mr . Samuel Bean  from. Glover, Vermont bought a farm one-half mile east of father's farm.  He built and kept a hotel.
 Mr. Onias Crossfield married Phebe Bean and assisted in the bar and hotel.  All freight from and to Stanstead and Sherbrooke was all transported by horse teams.  Jimmy Murray a scotchman was driver.  He always stayed at Bean's Hotel. He often had dried cod fish on his load.  We scholars often saw him pass and if he had fish we took note of it.  In the evening we would, three or four of us,- go to Jimmy's load and strip off some of the codfish and eat it.  Now Jimmy was on the alert and would shout at us from his bedroom window, "Get out of there you damned thieves!"   We ran after we had enough fish.  He had four fat horses and fed them oatmeal. If there was any left he put water with it and ate it himself. He lived south east of Granby.
1848 -  Archie Welch, Mr. Freeman Sanders wife's  father bought Mr. Bean's property - depending on the hotel business.  It did not pay as well as he expected.  In order to break the sale he set fire to the barns three different times.  Father's bedroom window faced that way and he saw the fire each time and gave the alarm.  They got no headway except the last time.  Mr. Crossfield was so quick that the fire was put out at the start.  The third fire got a good start but did not destroy the building.  Mr. Crossfield had seen Welch in his activities and could prove that he had set the fire so Welch moved back to Warnham and left the farm and did not claim the money that he had paid.  Bean did not prosecute Welch.  While Welch was there he bought a saw mill just one-half mile below the corner on the Marieville road. It played out - did not saw any lumber.
1847- Onias Crossfield taught me my first lessons in the alphabet in a log house where Mr. Robert Evan's house now stands.
1842 -  My sister Judith Ann became engaged to marry Freeman Bean, having been friends for many years, but failed to because of secrets---(?)
1863-     Our school teacher, Miss Collins of Glover, Vt. asked my sister and I to go with her for a visit home.  Mr. Nathaniel Chadsey where she boarded offered us a horse and sleigh and  his young daughter to accompany us.  It was very cold in January.  First night we stopped at Charley Hall's and shivered all night.  Six miles to Waterloo.  Drove up Lake Magog.  Stayed at my brother Harlow Bachelder's.  That night we had a dance.  New neighbors came in.  Two cousins and three girls came in from the      at the corner.  Next night reached Glover, VT.  There was a city carnival going on which we attended.  Freeman and Judith and ---- them talk.  But no result.
1856 -  One night Mrs. Bean was not well.  Charlotte her daughter had taught our school in 1854.  Freeman asked to go in and see his mother.  She was in her bed with suitable clothes on.  Charlotte says "Don't let Jethro see you in your nightdress."  Mrs. Bean said "If he has never seen a woman in a night dress it is time that he did."
 We had an amusing time on our way home   ?  was the driver, had had no experience in driving a horse.  So they tipped out of the sleigh several times.  Everything went out Holus, Bolus!  Had altogether a good time and nobody hurt.  I was sixteen at that time.  Mr. Bean had a nice home and farm.  Mr. Crossfield had a farm and hotel at Abbotsford.  Died in 1893.  Greatly respected.
1860 -    Major Campbell was President of the Grand Trunk railway, member of Parliament, scientific farmer.  He used fertilizer that we had never heard of.  Procured the best cattle and horses that he could find in England.  His stables were so arranged that he saved both the dry; and liquid manure.  The last was conveyed into cement pipes three feet in diameter covered with the dry manure to keep the pipes from being destroyed by the frost.  He used phosphorus as a fertilizer which scintillated in the night.  The French people thought he was associated with the evil one.  They kept away from the fields, said it was ghosts raised from the dead. He originated and became president of our Agricultural Society. It has prospered ever since.  Now Society Jesus.  It was held in different parts of the county.  All other places were in a dry dirt formation.  Rougemont was the only place which held soil that was gravel.  It became at last the permanent ground.  It now is all built up for that purpose.  Best houses are to be found in Province of Quebec. ( or best horses) ??

Four sons were born to Major Campbell.  All remarkable men.  The eldest Colin Campbell was elected member of the mother of  Parliament in England.  The second and third sons I have no recollection of their careers.  The fourth, Bruce, became proprietor; of all of his father's lands.  A most congenial gentleman.  He died in 1924 in Marieville.  He was president of the council of the County of Rouville, P.Q.

Major's time was precious.  If you were to meet him at a stated time, if you failed even by one minute your time was lost.  Even if you had come sixty miles to meet him.    It pays to be prompt. Never daly.  Attend to my order to the minute and as God said "Do it with all your might."

1854 -   The year father was repairing the house, six young people came for me to go to a picnic to St. Hilaire.  A son Abram and a daughter of Jacob  La. Grange from  La Grange's mill near Frelighsburg.  Two daughters Pauline and Mary, Onile  La Grange, Benjamin and Miles.  They'd a light brown suit.  I drove to Mr. Dickey's in the horse and buggy.  Did not go into the house.  I was too shy. I saw the girls laughing.  In a short time Marietta LaGrange came out and asked me if she could ride  with me.  She was eighteen and beautiful.  On the way she asked me to kiss her.  My shyness: took a sudden departure.  At St. Hilaire we went to the lake and then up the mountain.  All owned by Major Campbell who had married a Roman Catholic.  All sons born were to be brought up Protestants and the daughters Roman Catholic.  The major built a road up the mountain.  Twelve miles up this road a cross was put up representing the twelve apostles.  At the top of the mountain a building with a forty foot cross covered with tin was put up where Mrs. Campbell prayed every day for a year asking God to give her a daughter.  Two years later she gave birth to a daughter.  When on our picnic we went to Major Campbell's, he took us into a large hall, gave us cake and wine.  Took my companions arm and asked her to go into the library and see a pretty picture.  It was a looking glass and she saw herself.  Her face was crimson.  He. said "Isn't
 that a lovely picture?"  Clapped his hands and ho ho.

We saw the little girl eight years old picking strawberries.  She had in a basket one green and two ripe berries.  A very simple child not wise.  Died at ten years of age.

1863 -  Tilly Sloane came to visit her aunt Mrs. Charles Wilkins in September.  A beautiful tall well formed woman.  Light complexioned. 17 years of age.  J.F.McBride and I paid her attention at the same time.  I was a farmer's son.  He had a store making boots and travellers trunks.  I soon saw that he was the favourite.  I knew that he had  lived the life of a gentleman, but said nothing.  The evening of the 30th of November McBride reached there first on horseback.  The horse was tied to a post.  I always left first and as I went out I saw the horse was loose, the reins dragging.  Being All Hallows night I jumped on the horse and rode home.  Horse on the run.  In less than five minutes I was at  his brother John's yard, left the horse eating at a bale of hay.  I had not been in bed more than ten minutes when I heard gravel strike my window. I opened the window  "Who's there?"  McBride said "Did you see my horse?" "Yes, she was there when I left."  He said "I heard the mare's shoes striking on the stones in the road.  Did you hear it?" " I believe I did."  He found her in Hyde's meadow with the saddle under her belly.  "Funny thing that you did not see her or hear her. I played a prank on McBride and rode home instead of walking.  Many. months later he found out about it.  Miss Sloane and McBride were married in June 1868.  Not to her advantage.  But no complaint from her in sixty years.  No divorce in those days.
1869-    1st May 1869 Miss Jane Cardin of St.Cesaire was married to Frank McDonnell of Brighton, Ontario.  He was a train dispatcher on the Grand Trunk Railway in Montreal.  Lived on __   Street in Point St. Charles.

 Three daughters and three sons were born.  The youngest died. of appendicitis in his ninth year.  Fred and Frank were employed in Grand Trunk offices.  There were so many employed that they played and sang songs until Charles took control of the railway when the useless ones were turned out.  Fred in New York and Frank in Boston. He became auditor of the Boston and Maine Railway.  Both successful in their separate spheres.  One daughter Louise, a capable lady became wealthy.  Charlotte married a clergyman.  If I am not mistaken, he will eventually become Bishop of the diocese of Winnipeg.

1861 -    Dennis Downing worked for father on the farm.  He was very attentive in seeing that the horse was always ready for me when I wished to drive Sarah out, on previous arrangement between she and
 I.  Once I was to drive her on the river on the ice, but she failed me.  Was guarded too closely.

  Dennis's sister Mary Jane married William Cooley who had been an associate of Mr. Gilmore in the auger business.  He gave that up and moved to Waterburg, Vermont.  Patented the Cooley Creamer which was 18 inches tall, 10 inches across.  Held 5 gallons. Put in cold water,  the cream would separate from the milk in 12 hours.  He sold many thousands in the United States and Canada.  He patented the first gasoline engines and manufactured them for many years.  He and sons were experts in all forms of gasoline and kerosene engines.

1924-  I paid a visit to Dennis Downing.  Saw Be11e Cooley who had a millinary shop.  Married a Mr. Green of Burlington, Vermont.  She kept her shop open in Waterbury each Saturday.  Her husband would come for her.  She asked me to go hone with her on Sunday, 56 miles to there.  I saw many fine buildings for officers and men of the standing army.  Mr. and Mrs. Green drove me to a high point where Ethan Allen guarded the city from the Indians in the early days. I did not know Mrs. Green when I first saw her.  She said that she had been to our house in Rougemont many times when a girl.  I had a good visit at Mr. Green's and also at Mr. Downing's.  He had become wealthy living with his son.  Often had brook trout for dinner.  He and I visited the insane asylum.  Many nice buildings for the insane.  Had a large farm where they all grew fruit and vegetables needed.  Every room was cleaned to a nicety.  Very admirable.  Young Mr. Downing introduced me to the superintendant as two boys- one 82, the other 84.  Passed through on my return to Montreal.  Mrs. Prevost (Eliza Downing) and Mrs.      her sister.
1868 -  Mother's neice, Bertha Martindale was living with her as a companion.
1891 -  In October I sold my apples on the trees for $500.00.  Bertha persuaded mother to go to St. Armand to visit Bertha's father and mother and her brother's wife Arville Reynolds.  She was taken sick there.  Bertha went to Montreal and stopped at Rougemont. She told me that mother wanted her bed and all bedding.  I procured a large packing case and she in the vacant house filled the case with much more than the bed.  During Mother's illness I saw her several times.  The last time she told me that she wanted to die at her own home, that she had always loved me from the first moment that she came to the house with father in 1853.  She was with us forty years.  No better step-mother could be desired.  I told Mr. Reynolds that Bertha had got a bed for Mother.  He said "I have all the bedding needed."   and showed me his closets well filled with the best of bedding in quantities.  I asked Bertha what she had done with the money.  (I had given Mother half of the apple money) Spent it, had only $27.00 left.  I asked Bertha to give me a receipt that Mother had paid all her wages.  She did. On my way home I stopped at her father's and asked for silver spoons and forks and nice table knives.
1892 -     I never saw a step-mother her equal.  She was so fond of me, that in her will she gave me all of her possessions.  So I helped Bertha steal my own goods.  She got my goat.  I have never seen her since. Mother died at her brother's on the 12th February 1892.  I attended the funeral.  The greatest snow storm.  Snow so deep that I only reached Shawbridge.  27 miles.  Stayed all night at Nathaniel Bachelder's, a cousin.  Next morning Mr., Reynold  had with his neighbours and two snow plows crowded two feet of snow down to a perfectly smooth surface.  When I reached the grave all the town people were there.  Rev. George Davidson was committing the body to the grave.  Marietta was there and returned home with me with Bertha's plunder in the sleigh.

Father's will read that I was to pay $300.00 each to my brothers and sisters in six years. $1800.00.
I carried out the instructions of the will.  Carrie Code died before mother died.  I did not have to pay her share.

The following article was written about Jethro Bachelder in 1928 when he was residing in California.


   Sias, Benjamin and Jethro Bachelder, brothers, of Montreal, Canada, settled in LaPlatte, NEBRASKA in June,  1864.  Pioneer freighters across the Great American desert, from Omaha, Nebraska to Denver, Colorado, a six  hundred mile trip.

    Much spring wheat, wild-goose variety was grown in LaPlatte at that time and shipped to St. Louis in steamboat loads to be mixed with the fall wheat and sold in the market for fall wheat flour.  Mr. S. Bachelder and M. Hoogeboom owned the say and grist mill at Laplatte, which ground the wheat for the farmers.  They also owned a steel cable flat boat, on-half mile Platte River Ferry, connecting Omaha and Platsmouth, called Bachelder and Kimball Ferry.

     Sias Bachelder attended to mills and ferry, and Jethro Bachelder took the long, perilous route across the uninhabited sandy plain of Nebraska and Colorado, called "The Platte River Trail."  In the days when the "Great Pioneer, Ezra Meeker" was piloting his ox. teams across the plains, Jethro Bachelder was also running great risks in the Red Skin Country.  His eyes flashed fire as he recounted an attack on his train in which the latter were driven off with no casualties.

    Crossing the plains in those days was a bit more dangerous than crossing 7th Street today.  But undaunted Bachelder made several trips across the plains while the Indians were on the war path in 1864, 1865, and 1866, taking food and other supplies for the gold miners in Pike's Peak, Colorado and for others. The oxen rate of travel was 1.5 miles a day, 48 days with Sundays included.  The risks involved in those trips, and the length of time required made large profits for the successful adventurers.

    Flour purchased at $2.50 per hundred at the mill, sold in Denver at $9.50 to $16.00.  Sorghum syrup purchased at .50 cents per gallon, sold for $5.50.  Merchants of Omaha sending freight to Denver paid .10 cents per pound, that is $200.00 per ton.  Each wagon carried four tons.  Five spans of oxen to each wagon.  Men paid $40.00  per month on board.  Shoes were put on oxen if required.

    Although in his 88th year, Mr. Bachelder is quite active, and the spirit of the pioneer still prevails, as he is optimistic of great revenues in the near future.  He left a desirable home in Canada where he had lived for 80 years, for a new home in Los Angeles, California.


___________ _________________________________________________________________


For comments or additions please contact Bonnie Cromwell at [email protected]

All materials at this site not otherwise credited are Copyright © 2000 Bonnie Cromwell