Villages &

Villages & Towns

 

BLAKE'S MILLS is one-half mile south of New Philadelphia, on the Ohio Canal. It has 1 Methodist Episcopal church...

BOLIVAR is twelve miles north of New Philadelphia, on the Tuscarawas river, the Ohio Canal and W. & L.E.R.R. Newspaper: News-Journal, Independent, M.H. Willard, editor and publisher. Churches: 1 Lutheran, 1 Methodist, 1 German Lutheran and 1 Catholic...

CANAL DOVER is three miles northwest of New Philadelphia, on the west bank of the Tuscarawas river, the Ohio Canal, the C. & M., C. & P. and C.L. & W. Railroads. City Officers, 1888: J.H. Mitchell, Mayor; Emanuel Amick, Clerk; Wm. H. Vorharr, Treasurer; John W. Goodman, Marshal; John W. Criswell, Street Commissioner. Newspapers: Iron Valley Reporter, Independent, W.W. Scott, editor and publisher; Tuscarawas County Democrat, Democratic, W.C. Gould, editor and publisher. Churches: 1 German Methodist, 1 Methodist, 1 Methodist Episcopal, 1 Lutheran, 1 Catholic, 1 Moravian, 1 German Evangelical. Banks: Exchange (P. Baker's Sons & Co.), Jesse D. Baker, cashier; Iron Valley (A. Vinton, Stoutt & Vinton)...

DENNISON is ten miles southeast of New Philadelphia, on the P.C. St. L. R.R., and was laid out for their use about the year 1864. City Officers, 1888; T.R. Woodborne, Mayor; D.A. Demuth, Clerk; W.M. Miser, marshal; John W. Hill, Treasurer; J.T. Watters, Street Commissioner; T.H. Loller, Solicitor; S.S. Demuth, Weighmaster. Newspaper: Paragraph, Independent, W. A. Pittenger, editor. Churches: 1 Episcopal, 1 Catholic and 1 Presbyterian...

DOVER IN 1846. -Dover, three miles northwest of New Philadelphia, was laid out in the fall of 1807, by Slingluff and Deardorff, and was an inconsiderable village until the Ohio Canal went into operation. It is now, through the enterprise of its citizens and the facilities furnished by the canal, one of the most thriving villages upon it, by which it is distant from Cleveland ninety-three miles. Its situation is fine, being upon a slight elevation on the west bank of the Tuscarawas, in the midst of a beautiful and fertile country. The view was taken on the line of the canal: Deardorff's mill and the bridge over the canal are seen on the right; in the centre of the view appears the spire of the Baptist church, and on the extreme left, Welty and Hayden's flouring mill. The town is sometimes incorrectly called Canal Dover, that being the name of the post-office...

GNADENHUTTEN is eleven miles south of New Philadelphia, on the Tuscarawas river and on the P.C. & St. L.R.R. School census, 1888, 119. S.K. Mardis, superintendent of schools. This name is pronounced Noddenhiten. There is here a Moravian church, and it is the site of the Moravian massacre. Near the monument yet stand an apple tree, planted in 1774 by the Indians, and it has borne apples from that day to this...

MINERAL CITY, P.O. Mineral Point, is ten miles northeast of New Philadelphia, at the crossing of the Valley and C. & P. Railroads. newspaper: Mineral Pointer, Independent, W. Hosick, editor and publisher. Churches: 1 Methodist Episcopal, 1 United Brethren, 1 Lutheran, 1 Catholic, 1 German Reformed...

NEW COMERSTOWN is seventeen miles southwest of New Philadelphia, on the Tuscarawas river, the Ohio Canal and P.C. & St. L. and C. & M. Railroads. City Officers, 1888; S.F. Timmons, Mayor; J.D. Longshore, Clerk; R.F. Dent, Treasurer; Lewis Gardner, marshal; Thomas Knowls, Street Commissioner. Newspaper: Index, Independent, R.M. Taylor, editor and publisher. Churches: 1 Methodist Episcopal, 1 Methodist Protestant, 1 Baptist, 1 Lutheran. Bank: Oxford, George W. Mulvane, president; Theodore F. Crater, cashier...

NEW PHILADELPHIA, county-seat of Tuscarawas, 100 miles northeast of Columbus, 100 miles south of Cleveland, is surrounded by a district rich in agricultural and mineral products. Cheese-making is a large industry. Its railroads are the C.L. & W. and C. & P.; also on the Ohio Canal. County Officers, 1888: Auditor, John W. Kinsey; Clerk, John C. Donahey; Commissioners, William E. Lash, Robert T. Benner, Wesley Emerson; Coroner, B.D. Downey; Infirmary Directors, Ozias DeLong, J. Milton Porter, Louis Geckler; Probate Judge, John W. Yeagley; Prosecuting Attorney, James G. Patrick; Recorder, John G. Newman; Sheriff, George W. Bowers; Surveyor, Oliver H. Hoover; Treasurer, John Myers. City Officers, 1888: Daniel Korns, Mayor; Israel A. Correll, Clerk; H.V. Schweitzer, Treasurer; H.E. Shull, Marshal; Philip Getzman, Street Commissioner. Newspapers: Times, Democratic, Samuel Moore, editor and publisher; Der Deutsche Beobachter, German, S.R. Minnig, editor and publisher; Tuscarawas Advocate, Republican, J.L. McIlvaine, editor and publisher. Churches: 1 Reformed, 2 Lutheran, 1 Disciples, 1 United Brethren, 1 Methodist, 1 Presbyterian, 1 German Reformed. Banks: Citizens' National, S.O. Donnell, president, Charles C. Welty, cashier; City, W.C. Browne, president; Exchange (A. Bates), John Hance, cashier....

PORT WASHINGTON is twelve miles southwest of New Philadelphia, on the Tuscarawas river, the Ohio Canal and the P.C. & St. L.R.R...

SHANESVILLE is ont he C. & C. Railroad, about eleven miles west of county seat. It has churches, 1 Methodist, 1 Reformed and 1 Lutheran; 1 newspaper, News, Independent, John Doerschuk, editor; a bank and 500 inhabitants. School census, 1888, 139.

UHRICHSVILLE is ten miles southeast of New Philadelphia, at the junction of the P.C. & St. L. and C.L. & W. Railroads, and joins on to Dennison. City Officers, 1888: T.D. Healea, Mayor; W.D. Collier, Clerk; Wm. McCollam, Treasurer; J. Marshall, Marshal; James Parrish, Street Commissioner. Newspaper: Tuscarawas Chronicle, Republican, J.E. Graham, editor and publisher. Churches: 2 Methodist Episcopal, 1 Christian Union, 1 Disciples, 1 Moravian, 1 Presbyterian. Banks: Farmer's and Merchants', Wm. B. Thompson, president, T.J. Evans, cashier; Union (Geo. Johnston), I.E. Demuth, cashier.

WEST CHESTER, P.O. Cadwallader, is twenty miles southeast of new Philadelphia. Population, 1880, 216.

ZOAR is on the Tuscarawas river and W. & L.E.R.R., eleven miles west of county seat; has about 300 inhabitants.


from Historical Collections of Ohio, Henry Howe, LL.D., 1898