Wiley Green was born October 16, 1833, in Green County, Alabama, the son of Wylie and Ellanor Green. He arrived in Montomery County, Texas, after 1850, settling in the vicinity of Danville.
On 29 December 1859, Wiley married Margaret Frances Spear who was eighteen at the time of the 1860 census.
Thanks to Elsa Vorwerk and Bill Wood for image of marriage record
She was the daughter of Malachi Moore Spear and Elizabeth Candler Woodley, who resided eight houses away from Wiley and Margaret. Margaret was born February 2, 1842, in Montgomery County, Alabama, and came to Texas with her parents.
In early 1861, Wiley replaced Samuel L. Kelsey as overseer of the hands at Maj. Green Wood's Greenwood Plantation.
Within the year, however, Wiley was swept up by the war fever. He is listed as a private on the February 14, 1862 muster roll of the Danville Mounted Riflemen, a unit of the 17th Bridgade Texas State Troops, under Capt. S. D. Wooldridge. He later joined the Second Regiment of the Texas Lancers, which became Company B of the 24th Regiment, Texas Cavalry. He again enlisted as a private. He was enrolled by John E. George at Danville on March 28th and reported to Camp Carter at Hempstead for training on April 28. His records show that his home was fifty miles from the place of rendezvous, his horse was worth $180.00, and his equipment worth $20.00.
In the same company were Margaret's brother, T. J. Spear and her brother-in-law, James R. McIntyre, who married her sister Elizabeth Ann.
Wiley rode his horse to Arkansas with the men of the regiment and was dismounted there with the other soldiers and ordered to join the CSA as an infantryman. His unit became Company B, 24th Regiment, Texas Cavalry (Dismounted.) At this time, the men of the 24th Texas Cavalry were in El Dorado but were sent to Camp Holmes near Pine Bluff, Arkansas, for infantry training.
The muster roll for August 31st states that Wiley was sick in camp. These are the only rolls on which he appears. The Spear family Bible states that Wiley Green died 31st of August A D 1862 at Pine Bluff Arkansas.
He is thought to have been buried in the Camp Holmes hospital grave yard, Camp White Sulphur Springs, which has been reconstructed by the General Patrick Cleburne Camp of the Sons of the Confederate Veterans.
The members of General Patrick Cleburne Camp obtained a headstone for Wiley and dedicated it on Sunday, October 14, 2007, thanks to the efforts of member Doyle Taylor.
The above White Sulphur Springs photos were taken by Findagrave Contributor Carl Jones.
A daughter was born to Margaret four months after Wiley's death, and she was named Wiley Elizabeth Green. Margaret married J. M. Vernon in 1866, and he died in 1867. Nothing further is known of this family.
The above biographical material was compiled from county and census records, from the Greenwood Plantation Journal (thanks to Elsa Vorwerk and Bill Wood), from the Compiled Service Records available in the National Archives, and from the Spear history on the website of Andrea Worthey.
For further information see Wiley Green in the Wood & Torbert Families database.
For further information and records of all Confederate soldiers of Montgomery County, Texas, as well as histories of the regiments they served in, see Montgomery County, Texas, CSA by Frank M. Johnson. The book may be purchased by visiting Frank's website at frankmjohnson.net or by contacting Frank at [email protected]
Return to Co. B 24th Texas Cavalry
© Karen McCann Hett All Rights Reserved 2004-2014
Content Used with Permission on © Barrett Branches
E-mail me at
Karen McCann Hett