New Page 1

A Brief History of the David Beaty Family




Chapter 1…David Beaty & Malinda Sadler

Chapter 2…Margaret Elizabeth Beaty Price

Chapter 3…Thomas Newton Beaty

Chapter 4…James Sadler Beaty

Chapter 5…Claudius Simpson Beaty

Chapter 6…Robert Rufus Beaty

Chapter 7…Martha J. Beaty Baker Teasley

Chapter 8…Joseph R. Beaty

Chapter 9…William C. Beaty




On June 16, 1983 after fourteen years of research on a very limited basis, I stepped from my car and stood on the land once owned by my great, great, great grandfather, David Beaty.  There I met for the first time and shook hand with Charles Howard Beaty, a great grandchild of David Beaty.  The feelings I experienced at that moment are difficult to describe.  Other than my grandfather, my father and my son, Charles Beaty was the first Beaty I had ever met.


After a brief visit we went to the Old Good Hope Cemetery near Iva, South Carolina in Anderson County.  Shortly after entering the cemetery I spotted the grave site of David Beaty.  My first words were, “There you are.  I finally found you.”

Upon finding David Beaty’s grave site, I felt that the link between the Beatys in South Carolina and Mississippi had finally been reconnected after over one-hundred years.  As I stood at the foot of his grave I said to myself, “You would be proud of your son, Thomas Newton Beaty, who moved to Mississippi.  His descendants are good and decent people."



Chapter 1

David Beaty, the son of Thomas Beaty, Sr. and Margaret Hardin, was born January 20, 1792.  Five years later on August 10, 1797, the woman who was to later become his wife, Malinda Sadler, was born.  Malinda was the daughter of David Sadler and Elsie Bratton who married in 1783.  Little is known about her father, David Sadler, except that he was born on August 30, 1762 and died February 18, 1848.  Thomas Beaty, Sr., one of the founders and Elder of Good Hope Presbyterian Church in Iva, South Carolina, married Margaret Hardin on September 30, 1786.  Thomas, Sr. died on December 18, 1837, and is buried in the Old Good Home Cemetery.  His grave site is not marked.  In addition to David I., Thomas, Sr. and Margaret were the parents of Phoebe Hardin, Jennie and Thomas, Jr.


Elsie Bratton’s family history, however, is well documented.  Elsie was born in 1766, the first child of Colonel William Bratton who was born in 1742 in Antrim, Ireland.   In 1766 William Bratton was married to Martha Robinson.  Martha was born in 1750 in Virginia.  To this union eight children were born.  Elsie, Martha, William, Jane, Elizabeth, Nancy Agnes, Mary and John Simpson Bratton. 


William Bratton was a Colonel in the Revolutionary War and a farmer.  Colonel Bratton died on February 9, 1815 and his wife Martha died on January 19, 1816.  Both died at their home in York County at Brattonsville, South Carolina. They are buried in the Bethesda Church Cemetery in York County.


David and Malinda were married in York County, South Carolina and settled at Stoney Point near Iva, South Carolina in what was know at the time as Anderson District, now Anderson County.  Part of the original farm owned by David and Malinda Beaty is still owned and inhabited by his descendants.


To the marriage of David and Malinda were born eight children, six boys and two girls.[i]

                                    Margaret Elise                                      December 26, 1824

                                    Thomas Newton                                  October 23, 1826

                                    James Sadler                                        November 23, 1828

                                    Robert Rufus & Claudius Simpson         May 25, 1832

                                    Martha J.                                             November 17, 1834

                                    Joseph R.                                             May 6, 1838

                                    William C.                                            June 7, 1840


All six of David Beaty’s sons served in the Confederate Army during the War Between the States.  By the time of David’s death on January 9, 1865, the war had taken the life of two of his sons and a third had been sent to a Union Prisoner of War Camp in New York.  Malinda Sadler Beaty joined her husband in death on December 23, 1878.  She was laid to rest beside David in the Old Good Hope Cemetery near Iva, South Carolina.



Chapter 2

Margaret Elise Beaty was the oldest child of David and Malinda.  She was born on December 26, 1824 in Anderson County, South Carolina.  Margaret married Penuel Ross Price on May 20, 1845.  Ross Price was born on October 30, 1822 in South Carolina and was the fourth and last child of Penuel and Jane Bryson Price.  Ross was born in the home of his farmer parents near the small town of Iva, and lived all his life in that area, except for the time he served in the Confederate Army during the War Between the States.


Both Margaret and her husband, Ross, were Presbyterians and attended the Good Hope Presbyterian Church in Iva.  After their marriage, Margaret and Ross purchased land on Wilson Creek near his father and brother, Harrison, near the old Baskin place.  There they reared nine children.  Their children were:  Josiah David, born February 5, 1846; John Julius, born July 29, 1847; James Alexander, born January 14, 1851; Martha Josephine, born March 1, 1853; William Oscar, born November 14, 1854; Gustavus Claudius, born March 23, 1857; Rufus Edwin, born February 25, 1859; Joseph Lucius, born January 21, 1862 and Selena (Selma) Ross, born April 19, 1864.   


P. R. Price passed away on September 20, 1864, and was buried in the Old Good Home Cemetery in Iva, South Carolina.  Margaret lived until January 30, 1893, when she died of bronchial pneumonia, and is buried beside her husband.



Chapter 3


Thomas Newton Beaty was born on October 23, 1826, the second child and first son of David and Malinda Sadler Beaty.  Thomas Newton Beaty married Margaret Eliza Baker on December 19, 1850.  Margaret was born April 26, 1830 to Samuel H. Baker and Penelope Warnock.


Thomas Newton Beaty and his wife Margaret were members of Good Hope Presbyterian Church in Iva, South Carolina.  Sometime after the birth of their fifth child, Frank, Thomas and Margaret moved to Mississippi.  Making the move with them were their children:  Martha Ann “Mattie”, born February 7, 1852; David Whitfield, born October 31, 1853; Samuel Baker, born August 2, 1855; Cary Penelope, born September 11, 1857 and James Franklin “Frank”, born September 17, 1859.  Also coming to Mississippi with Thomas and Margaret was Thomas’s younger sister, Martha Beaty Baker.


On December 11, 1861 Thomas and Margaret celebrated the birth of their first child born in Mississippi.  This celebration was short lived because their infant son lived just thirty-seven days.


Thomas Newton Beaty enlisted in the Army of the Confederate States of America on March 5, 1862 at Houston, Mississippi in Chickasaw County.  Colonel Orr swore him in.  Private Beaty was assigned to Company C, 31st Regiment of the Mississippi Volunteers.  Leaving home at this time was difficult for Thomas Beaty.  Leaving his wife and family behind was doubly difficult because Margaret was expecting another child.


Company muster rolls show Private Beaty present from January through July 1863.  He received his first pay on the 30th day of June 1863, from Captain B. F. Fitzpatrick.


Private Beaty left his company on August 21, 1863 and arrived at Loring’s Division Hospital in Lauderdale, Mississippi on August 23.  He remained at the hospital until early October of that year.  Upon his discharge from the hospital, Private Beaty was detained by the Surgeon-In-Charge and ordered to work as a nurse.  He was relieved from hospital duties on November 11, 1863, and ordered to return to his company.


Records show that Private Thomas Beaty was issued clothing on November 21 of that year.  Private Beaty remained with his company through the end of March 1864.  On April 1 General Featherston sent him to the 1st Mississippi C.S.A. Hospital in Jackson, Mississippi.  He was admitted to the hospital in Jackson on April 5 and remained hospitalized there through the month of September.  He returned to duty in October 1864.  During his stay in the hospital, Thomas Newton Beaty was diagnosed with consumption.


Record show that Thomas Newton Beaty remained with his company until February 9, 1865.  Company records note that he had received no pay for the past 13 months.


Thomas Beaty left us many interesting accounts of the life and times of a poor Southern farmer and the hardships encountered while serving in the ranks of the Confederate Army.  Letters written by T. N. Beaty give us a glimpse into his life at this particular period of time in history.


The first letter written by Thomas Newton Beaty was to his wife Margaret in Houston, Mississippi.  The letter was written on the front of a bill of laden for 12 bales of cotton that were shipped from Grenada, Mississippi to New Orleans on the keel boat “Tempest” on February 23, 1859.  The cost for shipping the cotton was $5.50. 


May 30, 1863, Jackson, Miss.


Dear Margaret and children,

A word to you.  I hope you are all well and doing well.  I was glad to hear that your wheat was good and that your corn crop looked fine.  I want all the bottom planted.  It will make corn planted any time in June.  I want you to make corn plenty to do you.  I hope you have a good garden and potato patch.  That is half a living.  Raise all the chickens you can.  I hope I will get home this summer to help you to eat chicken pie and beans and butter and milk.  Well Sis how is little Sissie coming on.  Is she pretty?  You must take care of her.  David and Samuel, how do you come on.  Are you good boys?  I want you to help your Ma to work and be good boys until I come home.  Cary and Frank are you good children?  You must be good children until Pa comes home.  Kiss all the children for me.  Pray for me.  Farewell for the present my dear friends. T.N.B.[ii]


On the back of that same shipping ticket, Thomas Newton Beaty wrote a letter to his sister, Martha Jane Baker, who had moved to Mississippi with them.


Jackson, Miss. May the 30th 1863

Dear Sister,

I write you a few lines to inform you that I am in good health and hope this letter finds you all enjoying the same blessings.  I will not write you much news about the Army for I don’t know much.  We are camped here awaiting General Johnston’s movements.  There is reinforcements coming in every day.  It is said that Johnston has 30000 men here now and is waiting for more.  I think we will have a forward movement in a few days.  The Yankees have surrounded Vicksburg but our forces still hold the place yet.  It is said the Yankees have lost 30000 men before our Breast works since they have surrounded it.  There is a great many SC troops here.  I saw some yesterday from Anderson District.  They were from the upper part of the District.  I saw one man that lives in half mile of Brownlee.  He said he was home 4 weeks ago and saw Brownlee and all was well.  I think the big fight will come off here yet.  Well Martha if you are not gone to S. Carolina when this comes to hand I want you to write to me and write your letter so I can show it to Co. Orr and perhaps he may let me go home a few days.  You must state in it the nature of your case.  That you have no one here to see to your business and that you are left without friends and the condition of James’ business and the other estate that James has on his hands of his father and urge it on me to come home to see to your business and urge it on Capt. Pullium and Col. Orr to let me go home and see to you.  Perhaps I may get off.  That is the only chance I know of to get off.  Furlows have played out.  If you cannot get me home in that way I do not expect to get home until the war ends.  When you write you must do your best.  Direct your letters to Jackson Mississippi until further orders.  I hope you are all doing well.  I trust your prayers is continually going up to God for peace.  Oh but God would grant that the time is short when we will have peace and all be permitted to return home to our families.  I hope your wheat is good and that you will get it saved.  I hope you have a good crop and a good garden.  Farewell your affectionate brother.  T.N.B.[iii]


The third letter written by Thomas Newton Beaty was written to his wife Margaret on December 13, 1863 while he was at Lauderdale Springs, Mississippi.


Lauderdale Springs, Miss.       December 13th 1863

My dear wife I seat myself this morning to write you a few lines once more.  This leaves me in tolerable health only.  When I wrote to you last I told you I had a bad boil coming on my neck.  I turned out to be a carbuncle.  That is what the doctors call it.  It was as large as a goose egg.  It is running a little now.  It is painful now.  I think in a few days I will be able to go to work.  I suffered a great deal with it for five days and nights.  I wish I could have been home with you.  My heart was there.  Well Margaret what in the world is the reason I can’t hear from you.  I have never heard one word since I left you.  I know there is something the matter.  If you or Martha cannot write to me some of my friends must do it.  There is nothing to hinder the mail between here and there so it can’t be the fault of the mail.  I hope you will write to me someday if you are alive and able to do so.  Mr. William P. Baskin will probably go home this week.  I will try to get him to find out what is the reason that you have not written.  I will get him to go by and see you.  If he does you may send me them other pair of pants if he goes.  My pants that I brought from home is wore out now.  You must send me something to eat by him if he goes.  I am so anxious to hear from you that I cannot rest.  I know there must be something serious and you do not want me to hear of it.  I will try to get Mr. Baskin to go by and see you if he goes home.  Capt. Pulliam wrote to me to come back to my company but they won’t let me off here.  I intend to try to get home about Christmas.  Capt. Staggs from Houston has charge of the buildings here.  He says he is going home Christmas.  I will try and go with him.  Margaret I am so anxious to know how you are getting alone.  I want to know whether your potatoes is saving or not.  I want to know how your pigs is doing.  If they have fattened well since I left home.  They must be in good order this time.  I want you to write to me whether your sows has had pigs yet or not.  You must keep them barrows as long as they will gain anything in the pen.  I want to know how much wheat you got saved.  How many loads of corn you made.  Whether your cribs was full or not.  Make Felon haul firewood when the ground is dry and it will not be so hard on the horses.  I want to know whether you have got shoes for your family or not.  I want to know how them sweet little children is getting on.  Bless their sweet little hearts.  Our little babe will be one year old on next Thursday.  I want to see her so bad.  Is she walking yet.  Has little Frank got so that he can run about yet.  I want to know all the particulars about them when you write to me.  Martha why don’t you write to me.  If you only knew how bad I wanted to hear from you all you would write to me.  I want to know whether you have give out going back to Carolina or not.  You promised me that you would write to me regular.  If you have I have not got your letters yet.  I have sent to the office every day since I have been here but all in vain.  But I still live in hopes that I will hear from home someday yet.  Direct your letters thus T.N. Beaty, Lauderdale Station, Miss. in care of Dr. Yardell and I will be sure to get them.  I was at preaching today and heard a very good sermon preached.  Pray for me my dear wife that my life and health will be preserved and that the time will soon come when we will all be permitted to return to our homes.  Your affectionate husband.

T. N. Beaty [iv]


The final letter written by Thomas Newton Beaty was written to his wife Margaret on January 29, 1864 in Canton, Mississippi.


Canton, Miss.              January the 29th 1864

My Dear Companion,

I embrace the present opportunity of writing you a few lines to inform you that I am in tolerable good health at present.  I had a spell of phthisic since I left home but I am better at this time.  I hope and pray that this letter will reach you and our family enjoying the same blessings.  I am very anxious to hear from you.  This is the third letter I have written to you since I came to camp.  I wrote one and sent it to Houston by Simon Mires.  I sent one by Miller Mathews.  I want you to send me twenty five dollars by Mathews in the letter that you send me by him.  I want you to send me a letter by Dick Griffin.  He will be home about ten days.  You can send it to David Peden by Sis and David.  You must be sure to write to me by Mathews and Griffin both and I want you to give me all the particulars how you are getting on.  Whether you have killed you hogs or not and how your pigs are doing and whether your potatoes are saving or not and how your horses and cows are doing.  Make Felon haul wood in this good weather so that it will not hurt your horses.  I want him to haul wood enough to do you until the crop is made.  Write to me whether you have got your wheat ground or not and tell me whether you wheat was killed or not.  You must write to me how Mary Eliza is.  I want you to get some Irish potatoes to plant.  I want you to plant a great many sweet potatoes.  If your seed saves well you might make a light crop of corn and if you do your potatoes will help you out very much.  Margaret I have taken ever opportunity to write to you.  I know you want to hear from me as often as possible.  I will write to you every chance I have and I want you to do the same.  I want you to write to me every week.  I sent you a fine comb in that letter I sent by Mathews and I will send you some postage stamps in this letter so that you will have no excuse for the want of postage.  I will send you a paper of needles the first opportunity.  You must write to me the size you want.  Margaret I have no news of interest to write you.  We have to drill a great deal and a great deal of guard duty to do.  The soldiers get nothing but three beef and meal.  They don’t get any of that flour and bacon that you all have to give to the government.  Margaret you must send your letter to David Peden by the 12th of February.  R.W. Griffin will start back on the 13th.  As I have nothing of interest to write I will come to a close at present.  I will write to you again in a week if we do not have to march about that time.  Give my respects to Brother Frank and Family.  Kiss all the children for me.  Your affectionate husband until death farewell.  T.N. Beaty [v]


If Thomas Newton Beaty wrote any other letters they did not survive time.  Many questions remain today about Thomas Newton Beaty and his life.  In addition to the question of him being shown absent without leave, one must wonder why Thomas Newton Beaty left South Carolina and moved to Mississippi.  Was his move due to an adventurous spirit, or was it prompted simply by a search for a better life which was so common during that period of our history?


One must also wonder why he was not receiving letters from his wife.  In his last letter Thomas Newton wrote his wife the following, “Margaret you must send your letter to David Peden by the 12th of February.  R.W. Griffin will start back on the 13th”.  R. W. Griffin was home on leave and was killed before returning to his company.


None-the-less, the war was over and Thomas Beaty was back home with his family.  His sister, Martha, had returned to South Carolina.  Overjoyed at being back with his family, perhaps Thomas Beaty’s biggest challenge lay ahead.  His darling little girl, "Little Sissie", died on November 4, 1865, just a few months after his return home.  (See section on Little Sissie)


In 1866 T. N. Beaty was elected elder of Friendship Presbyterian Church along with James Young and Dr. W. F. Elliot.  T. J. Steen then resigned the office of stated clerk and T. N. Beaty was elected in his stead.  Friendship’s membership had increased to 182 members that year, an increase of 73 members over the last 7 years.  Church records state that Thomas Newton Beaty lived but a year of two after his election and died in the triumphs of faith.[vi]


He lived long enough to see his ninth and final child born.  On May 13, 1867, Margaret gave birth to a son, Joseph Newton Beaty.  On October 17, 1867, Thomas Newton Beaty died.  He was buried in the red clay soil in the shade of Friendship Presbyterian Church, next to an infant son and daughter and his beloved “Little Sissie”, Margaret Malinda Beaty.


Four years later, on January 27, 1872, Margaret Eliza Baker Beaty departed this life and was laid to rest beside her loving husband.  Two years later their second child, David Whitfield Beaty died from consumption, the same disease that killed his father.  David is buried near his mother and father.


Thomas and Margaret’s oldest child, Martha Ann (Mattie) married John A. Baker on January 26, 1869.  They had an infant son that was born and died on December 23, 1870.  Mattie was only 21 years old when her husband died and she never remarried.  In December 1890, Mattie Baker left Mississippi with her brother, Samuel Baker Beaty, and moved to Texas.  Mattie died on November 1, 1930 in Austin, Texas, and is buried in the Macedonia Cemetery in Granger, Texas.  Her husband John A. Baker is buried at Friendship Cemetery near Houston, Mississippi.


The third son of Thomas, Samuel Baker Beaty, married Mary Eleanor Bobo on February 23, 1875.  On December 15, 1890, Samuel, his wife, Mary, their nine children and Samuel's sister, Mattie, left Mississippi and moved to Texas.  Samuel, a farmer, passed away at the age of sixty on July 21, 1914, while working in the field.


Thomas’s fourth child, Cary Penelope, married James Robert (Jim) Davis on December 16, 1877.  They had one child, a daughter named Minnie Jo Davis.  Cary Penelope died at age 23 and her daughter Minnie Jo was raised by Cary Penelope’s younger brother, Frank.


James Franklin (Frank) Beaty was the fifth child of Thomas and Margaret.  He was born on September 17, 1859 in Anderson County, South Carolina.  He was just a small child when his family moved to Mississippi.  Frank married Minnie Thomas on December 11, 1882, and in addition to raising his niece, Minnie Jo, they also raised eight children of their own.  Frank lived until October 15, 1935, becoming the oldest surviving child of Thomas and Margaret Beaty.  He is buried in the Wesley Chapel Cemetery in Chickasaw County, a few miles north of Houston, Mississippi.


The ninth and final child of Thomas, Joseph Newton Beaty married Ludie Hopson.  Joe died on January 1, 1903 and is buried at Friendship along with his mother, father and several siblings.


Today a different Friendship Church stands where the old church once stood, one mile north of Highway 32 in Chickasaw County, Mississippi.  It is approximately 2 miles east of Van Vleet and 12 miles northeast of Houston.




Chapter 4

James Sadler Beaty was born November 23, 1828, the third child of David and Malinda Beaty.  His middle name was the maiden name of his mother.


J. S. Beaty became a private in the Confederate Army on July 19, 1861, when he joined Company B of the 10th South Carolina Infantry.  By order of Lieutenant Colonel Thomas P. Shaw, James Beaty was promoted to 5th Sergeant on February 3, 1864.


On August 2nd, 1862 James wrote a letter to his sister Martha J. Baker, the same sister that received a letter from James’ older brother, Thomas Newton Beaty.


Stoneypoint, S. C.

August the 2nd 1862

Mrs. Martha J. Baker

I will again write you a few lines informing you that we are all well at present and I believe the family have enjoyed good health during Spring and Summer.  There was one death in the family since I came home.  A Negro boy that Claud had hired and left with Jane and also in the care of Brother Bill.  When he (Claud) went into the Army was taken sick about the last of July and lay three weeks with Typhoid fever and then died.  He was a very likely fellow and a great loss to his owner.  He belonged to Frank Glenn.  Frank Glenn also died the same week in Richmond, VA. of Typhoid fever.  It looked very much like breaking up the family, but such is life and we must summit; there has not been any other cases of fever in the family as yet and I hope it may not.  There has been a few cases of fever on the break the last few weeks but no deaths and no bad cases at present.  I hear of some children dying in the neighborhood with sore throat of Scarlet Fever and some think it contagious and are very much afraid of it.  I have seen some cases of it but am not afraid of it.  I received the few lines that you had written and sent intending it to be sent on to Ruff and myself in Va.  I was glad to hear from you as I had not heard in six or eight months.  I have written you but received no answer.  I read it and sent it on to Ruff.  I suppose you may have heard of me coming home before this but as you may not I will tell you of it.  You are aware that the Regiment which I belonged to spend the greater part of last winter on Sullivan’s Island, S. C. where we spent the time for a few weeks very well but were ordered to Va. in March and when we got there we found it a very cold wet country.  It rained half of the time and snowed too but we stood it very well for some time although our Regiment did not have a tent.  We did not stay long at one place we were first sent to Fredericksburg where we stayed two weeks but finding the enemy to be very strong there it was thought most prudent by our Generals to retreat from that place and make a stand at Masapanace(?), where we stayed but a short time until we had to leave there an take up the march for Hanover Junction a distance of 40 miles and when we got there we found the Yankees in possession of the rail road between our Army and Richmond but they soon gave way as our Army advanced fighting as they retreat.  We did not lose but few men in the attack.  During all this myself and many of our boys began to realize the horrors of war.  We had been marching four days and nights through mud and water and had nothing to eat but crackers and you may know some of our boys did not relish them.  We did not carry but one blanket and only had what clothes we wore for six weeks.  We did not stay long at the Junction but were ordered back to Richmond a distance of 75 miles and we made the trip in four days but lost a great many men on the way as they gave out and were not able to walk any further, but it was hard to leave so many good soldiers, on the way, to be taken by the enemy but it could not be helped as the General commanding was pushing on to reach Richmond at the earliest moment.  We reached there two days before the fight which took place the last day of May and the first of June known as the fight of the Seven Pines.  Our regiment was not in the fight but held as a reserve.  We were not engaged but could see the flash of the cannon and hear those that were wounded hollering and moaning.  This was a more affecting scene to those that were standing looking on than those that were engaged.  The fight only lasted until Sunday the first of June but our Army was held on the field for several days after our Regiment was kept there for two weeks after and I assure you it was not a very pleasant place.

I was taken sick while there and had to be taken off but was so fortunate as to get into a private house in the country where I had the best of attention until I got better.  I had an attack of fever which lasted about ten days or two weeks without cooling.  Dr. T. A. Evans visited me while I was sick as soon as I was able to walk I went back to my Regiment and found many others of the boys quite sick some of them have since died.  Dr. Tom Evans thinking it prudent for me to go home until I could recover my health, gave me a discharge from the service until cold weather.  I was not in the last fight near Richmond as I had just got able to walk.

The regiment to which I was attached was in the engagement for several days and lost a great many men.  The company that I was in lost 22 in killed and wounded 9 killed I believe.  Ruff was not in the fight and escaped unhurt.  I will give you the names of some that were killed and wounded in my camp of your old acquaintances.  Riley Burriss and Burt Young killed, Bill Simpson, Sam McKee, Stephen Yergin, were all mortally wounded and died soon after.  Dick Sadler was shot though the hand and is now nearly well he is now at home until his hand gets well.  I could give you the names of many others that were wounded but they are all doing well and will soon be well again.

I will now tell you about all the boys and our relations.  Dick Sadler and John E. Sadler, Bill Simpson and L. A. Carlile, and John Clinkscales were all lying at Richmond with fever in time of the big fight also Bowie McLees and have all recovered.  Ruff and Dick were all of the boys that were in the last fight after Dick was wounded.  Ruff and Bill Watson were all of our ones that were left.  Bill Watson has since had the fever and Ruff was left alone.  I came home the first of July.  S. A. Carlile is also at home.  I had heard from Ruff every week since I left there he was quite sick for several days after the battle caused from fatigue but was soon able for duty again.

Orr’s Regiment was thrown under General Jackson soon after the fight also many other South Carolina Regiments and sent on to the valley where old Stonewall is now driving the Yankees across the Rapidan River.  Well Martha I suppose you have heard of Bill being conscripted and in the Army too under Stonewall Jackson.  He bore the conscript law, expecting to get a substitute but failed to get one for love or money.  He left on the 20th of July went on to Richmond and was thrown into the 7th South Carolina Regiment commanded by Colonel Aikin.  The company he was in was from Lownesville, Abbeville District, South Carolina.

I will now tell you about the conscripts W. C. Beaty, John A. Sadler, West Sadler were all conscripted and sent off at the same time.  West Sadler was taken sick on the way and left in the Hospital at Petersburg, Va. and there he died soon after John and Bill left him.  Arch Sadler has been paroled and sent back to Richmond and is there now very low with Typhoid fever.  He will be at home soon as he gets well.  Hugh McLees has gone on to wait on him.  Brother Bill says he is very well pleased with camp life and likes his officers well.  His Regiment is the 7th South Carolina Regiment.  Ruff and him has never met although both with Jackson.  Claude is on the Coast in this State near Charleston.  Jane is staying here with Pa and Ma..  Rosses (?) family are well.  The meeting at Good Hope came up at the usual time but everything appeared to wear a gloomy aspect only a few pretty girls there.

The friends all well so far as I know.  My health is nearly as good now as it ever was.  I enjoyed better health last winter than I had done in ten years and I think in two months I will be as stout as then.  I have to stay at home all the time as the old folks are by themselves.  They are both enjoying common health.  I shall not go back to the Army unless I am obliged to.  Write me soon.

                                                                        Jas. S. Beaty

If my paper was not out I would tell you when I was going to marry and tell you the girl’s name and all about it, but my paper is too scarce so I can’t you see. [vii]


Mary E. Williford was born on December 8, 1845.  On May 15, 1867, she and James Sadler Beaty were married.  The following children were born to this marriage:

                        William Williford           March 3, 1868

                        Ella                               December 6, 1869

                        Annie                           March 15, 1878

                        Pearl                            December 4, 1881


James died on May 26, 1885 and was buried in the Good Hope Cemetery in Iva, South Carolina.  Mary lived another 39 years, passing away on July 7, 1924.  She was buried beside her husband.


Their second child, Ella, died when she was a child of less that 8 years old, departing this earth on September 5, 1904.  The first born, William Williford passed away on July 30, 1943.  Annie and Pearl never married and lived long lives, Annie dying on December 4, 1963, and Pearl living until March 4, 1973.



Chapter 5

Claudius Simpson Beaty was born May 25, 1832.  It is unknown if Claudius was the fourth or fifth child, because he had a twin brother, Robert.  What is known is that Claudius would grow up and become an active and faithful member of the Good Hope Presbyterian Church as did all his brothers and sisters.  Claudius married Francis Jane Robinson on September 11, 1860.  Francis Jane was born on November 30, 1838.


Claudius was sworn into the 24th Regiment, South Carolina Volunteers at Camp Gist near Charleston, South Carolina on January 13, 1862.  Captain D. F. Hill swore him in.  He had enlisted for the period of the war.  Company B of the 24th Regiment subsequently became Company F, 24th Regiment, South Carolina Infantry.  Claudius was with Company F as a Private fro enlistment until his appointment to 3rd Corporal on December 1, 1862.  On January 30, 1863 he was promoted to 2nd Corporal.  He was reported absent from his Company during March and April, 1863, while on furlough.  On June 11, 1863, he was promoted to 4th Sergeant and then to the rank of 3rd Sergeant on April 1, 1863.


C. S. Beaty reached the rank of Junior 2nd Lieutenant on April 11, 1864.  On July3, 1864, C. S. Beaty received his first pay for his new position for the period of April 12 through April 30.  The amount paid was $50.66.  Records also indicate that C. S. Beaty purchased a jacket from Captain Thomas Addison for $14 while in the field.


On April 9, 1865, the 24th Regiment and the 16th Regiment of South Carolina were consolidated.  By the end of the war, C. S. Beaty had become Captain of Company K, 16th and 24the Consolidated Regiments.


In accordance with the terms of the Military Convention entered into on the 26th day of April, 1865, between General Joseph E. Johnston, Commander of the Confederate Army of North Carolina and Major General W. T. Sherman, Commander of the United States Army in North Carolina, Captain Beaty was paroled along with his men.  The event took place at Greensboro, North Carolina on May 1, 1865.


Claudius Beaty returned home and lived out his life in Iva, South Carolina.  He and his wife had five children.  They had an infant son born October 16, 1881 and died the next day.  They had a daughter Lillian born June 4, 1870 who only lived for eight days.  Their other son, Raymond R. died March 5, 1896.  Their daughter, Lilla Ida married Joseph Lewis Masters.  Claudius died at Clemson College on September 10, 1894.  He and his wife and three of their children are buried in the Good Hope Cemetery in Iva, South, Carolina.



 Chapter 6

Robert Rufus Beaty, twin brother of Claudius S. Beaty was born May 25, 1832.  He was sworn into the service of Captain F. E. Harrison’s Company at the age of 29 on July 20, 1861.  Lieutenant B. Sloan did the swearing in at Camp Pickins in Anderson County, South Carolina.  He joined for three years of the duration of the war.


Company B, 1st Regiment, South Carolina Rifles was also known as Orr’s Rifles and later became Company D.  Private Beaty was present with his company through December 31, 1861, but was reported absent on furlough during January and part of February, 1862.  In May of 1962 Robert Beaty was captured by Union Troops.  On September 29 of that year, Private Beaty swore an Oath of Allegiance to the United States of America and promised to never take up arms against his country.  He was paroled following that oath.  He immediately rejoined his company.


During the month of October, 1862, he was in the hospital at Manassas.  On April 4, 1863, he was promoted to 4th Corporal and by May of that year he was promoted to 3rd Corporal.


During January and February, 1864 Corporal Beaty was on furlough of indulgence.  He had returned to Company D by March.  He was admitted to Jackson Hospital in Richmond, Virginia on July 13, 1864, for chronic diarrhea but returned to duty on July 28.  He remained with his company throughout the remainder of 1864 with the exception of a sick furlough which began on August 17.  The furlough was set to expire on the 15th of November but he had returned to his post by the end of October.


Corporal Beaty was captured again by the Union Army at Petersburg on April 3, 1865.  He was transported to City Point, Virginia and then to the Prisoner of War Camp on Hart’s Island in the New York Harbor.  He arrived at Hart’s Island on April 11, 1865, and was received by Captain A. C. Sherman and assigned to Company 33.  Corporal Beaty was released from Hart’s Island Prison on June 16, 1865, after again swearing an Oath of Allegiance to the United States of America.  Corporal Robert Rufus Beaty was described as being six feet-one inch tall with a dark complexion and hazel eyes.


Robert returned to South Carolina and the following year, on March 15, 1866, married Anna E. Dean.  They have two children buried in the Good Hope Cemetery in Iva, South Carolina, an infant son and Lillie M. who lived just four months and 3 days.  Robert Rufus Beaty died in Dean, South Carolina, on January 10, 1898.  He and his wife, Annie, are buried in the Old Silver Brook Cemetery in Anderson, South Carolina.



 Chapter 7

Martha J. Beaty was born November 17, 1834, in Anderson County, South Carolina.  Little is known about Martha.  She married J. H. Baker on February 19, 1861.  She came to Mississippi with her older brother, Thomas Newton Beaty, when he and his family left South Carolina.  Her brother wrote to her on May 30, 1863 in Houston, Mississippi so we know she was still in Mississippi at that time.  In that letter, Thomas Beaty, mentioned about her returning to South Carolina.  He wrote, “Well Martha if you are not gone to South Carolina when this comes to hand I want you to write to me and write your letter so I can show it to Co. Orr and perhaps he may let me go home a few days. You must state in it the nature of your case.  That you have no one here to see to your business and that you are left without friends and the condition of James’ business and the other estate that James has on his hands of his fathers and urge it on me to come home to see to your business and urge it one Capt. Pullium and Col. Orr to let me go home and see to you.”[viii]


Martha did return to South Carolina but the date of her return is unknown.  She later married a Teasley.  Martha became the last surviving child of David and Malinda Beaty.  She passed away on July 7, 1911, at he age of 76.  She is buried in the Good Hope Cemetery in Iva, South Carolina.



 Chapter 8

 Joseph R. Beaty was the seventh child of David and Malinda Beaty.  Joseph was born on May 6, 1838.  On August 15, 1860, he married M. M. “Mette” Nance.  They were married only eight months before Joseph enlisted with Captain W. W. Humphrey’s Company, the 4th Regiment, South Carolina Volunteers.  He was sworn in on April 14, 1861 at the age of twenty-two.  The enlistment took place at the Anderson, South Carolina Court House.  Captain Dean swore him in for a period of one year.


The regiment was mustered into the service of the Confederate Army on June 7, 1861, at Columbia, South Carolina.  Joseph R. Beaty’s name appears on the company muster roll as being present from April 14 through June 30, 1861.  Records show him being paid on June 6 and June 30 of that year by Captain Stephen D. Lee and J. D. Wright.


Company muster rolls show Private Beaty absent from the company during July and August, 1861, but states that he was sick and placed in the hospital by order of the surgeon.  He was paid again by the Brigadier Pay Master on July 1.  Private Beaty was accidentally wounded and died on September 7, 1861.  He died in the General Hospital at Culpepper Court House in Manchester County, Virginia.


A monument to Joseph R. Beaty, along with his brother, William, and their brother-in-law was erected in the Good Hope Cemetery in Iva, South Carolina.  The inscription on one side reads, “Joseph R. Beaty Killed in Culpepper, Virginia”.  On the other side is this inscription, “W. C. Beaty, Killed in Richmond, Virginia”.  And the third side reads, “James N. Baker, Died October 1864, and Sleeps in an Unknown Grave”.



Chapter 9

William C. Beaty was the last child born to David and Malinda.  He was born on June 7, 1840.  James Sadler Beaty wrote of his baby brother in the letter he wrote to their sister, Martha on August 2, 1862.  He wrote, “Well Martha I suppose you have heard of Bill being conscripted and in the Army too under Stonewall Jackson.  He bore the conscript law, expecting to get a substitute but failed to get one for love or money.  He left on the 20th of July, went on to Richmond and was thrown into the 7th South Carolina Regiment commanded by Colonel Aikin.  The company he was in was from Lownesville, Abbeville District, South Carolina.”


William never married.  He was in the Confederate Army just shy of six months.  He was shot and killed by Union Troops in Richmond, Virginia in January 1863.  His burial place is unknown.  William shares the monument in the Good Hope Cemetery with his older brother, Joseph R. Beaty and James N. Baker.  May they rest in peace.


[i] David & Malinda Sadler Beaty’s Family Bible.

[ii] Letter written by Thomas Newton Beaty on May 30, 1863 in Jackson, Mississippi.  Original letter is in the possession of Robert Lamar Beaty, Sr., great great grandson of T. N. Beaty.

[iii] Letter written by Thomas Newton Beaty on May 30, 1863 in Jackson, Mississippi.  Original letter is in the possession of Robert Lamar Beaty, Sr., great great grandson of T. N. Beaty.

[iv] Letter written by Thomas Newton Beaty on December 13, 1863 in Lauderdale Springs, Mississippi.  Original letter is in the possession of Robert Lamar Beaty, Sr., great great grandson of T. N. Beaty.

[v] Letter written by Thomas Newton Beaty on December 13, 1863 in Lauderdale Springs, Mississippi.  Original letter is in the possession of Robert Lamar Beaty, Sr., great great grandson of T. N. Beaty.

[vi] A Historical Sketch of Friendship Church in Chickasaw County from a sermon delivered by the pastor, Reverend J. N. Carothers, on May 31, 1885.

[vii] Letter transcribed by Fred L. Thackston, husband of Mildred Beaty Thackston on November 5, 1986.  Mildred Beaty Thackston is the great granddaughter of James Sadler Beaty.  The letter was given to her father’s first cousin, Louis Jackson.  He also gave her a picture of James S. Beaty which was taken at Charleston, SC, possibly when he was stationed at Sullivan’s Island, SC.

[viii] Letter written by Thomas Newton Beaty on May 30, 1863.

Beaty Family    Bratton/Sadler Families    Little Sissie    Letters    Photos

Return to Main Page