05 Andrew Bennett
Andrew, brother of Charles Bennett Newspaperman and Politician- Standberry, Gentry County Mo.
HISTORY OF NORTHWEST MISSOURI volume 1, pages 1245-1247. Copy Right 1915
Andrew Bennett was born December 21, 1850 in County Beauharnois, Quebec, Canada, and is the son of Andrew and Ann Bennett.
An active and progressive factor in the life of Stanberry, Missouri, Andrew has, during a long and eventful career been identified with a number of enterprises, and as a business man, agriculturist, newspaper owner and editor, and public official has served impressing his personality favorably upon the people of his community. Mr. Bennett came to Northwest Missouri in 1867, locating in Andrew County with his mother, they came from Quebec, Canada. He farmed with his brother for about 14 years. In 1880 Mr. Bennett bought 180 acres of prairie and timber land on "Knigh Branch", where he carried on successful operations until 1905, by which time he had accumulated 655 acres on the Gentry and Worth County line. Coming to Stanberry in that year, Mr. Bennett formed a partnership with J.H. Corbett, in the livery business, which he was identified with until 1911, then disposing of his interest therein. In the following year he purchased the Stanberry Owl, which had been established and was owned by W.C. Long. This is now known as the Owl Headlight, Mr. Bennett being the editor and owner, while the business is managed by Charles Baker. This is being conducted as a democratic organ, has a circulation of 1,350 and the plant is equipped with the most modern appliances known to the newspaper business, including a motor powered press. In January 1914, Mr. Bennett purchased his interest in the livery business, in partnership with Edward Wharton, and the firm is now known as "Wharton and Bennett".
When Mr Bennett first entered the political field he was a supporter of the Populist party, whose county conventions he attended. Of late years he has been a Democrat and an active worker in the party's ranks. While still residing on the farm he found time to interest himself in educational matters, and for a long period of time served on the township school board, of which he was president for five years. He attends the Roman Catholic Church. Mr. Bennett is widely known in business circles as a man of the utmost integrity, true to engagements and a strict observer of high business principles. As editor of a flourishing publication, he is influencing public sentiments in behalf of progress and advancements in civic matters, and is giving the people of Stanberry a well-printed reliable and interesting paper.
On September 13, 1899, at Maryville, Missouri, Mr. Bennett was united in marriage with Miss. Tabitha U. Spencer, a native of Indiana. Mrs. Bennetts parents were married in the Hoosier State, and in 1860 made their way west to Missouri and settled at Grant City.
Mrs. Bennett is an active member of the Church of God, of Stanberry. These children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Bennett, namely Elmer, who married Miss Maud Shister, is a successful jewelry merchant at Stanberry and has two sons, Howard Andrew and Robert Elmer. Clara Agnes, who married Lewis Goodwin, connected with the Great Northern Railroad at Omaha, Nebraska, and has one child, Umatilla Woodrow. Ethel is single and resides with her parents.
BACK TO STORIES