The house was built in 1910 by the Rev. Rowntree to be use as a Vicarage. The Church Comissioners refused it and it was sold in 1920. But the Commissioners had second thoughts and subsequently purchased it for the use of the new Vicar, Charles Wright. It continued in use as a Vicarage until 1978 when it was sold privately and renamed "Quarry House".
Situated in Church Lane, the Parochial Hall was erected in 1887, the same year as Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee, by subscription on a site belonging to the Rev. Mark Rowntree. It was originally a Sunday School for the education of children and adults of poorer classes in the parish. It was then used as a Scout Hall in the days of Rev. Martin. Then it was used as a dinner room for the children from the Old School. It was sold in the 1970's.
The photograph looks west. The Old School and school house are at the top of the photograph with the four cottages on Woodcock Hill. To the left a track runs down toward Main Street and the old stables of Rosehurst. The photograph is pre-1910 before the Vicarage was built.
The building originally called the Oddfellows Hall, was built in 1888. On 24th May 1919, a parish meeting considered a suggestion to erect a village institute in memory of the boys who belonged to the neighbourhood and who had fallen in the 1914-18 war. Instead, the villagers resolved to approach the Society of Oddfellows about purchasing the existing Oddfellows Hall. A figure of #600 was agreed upon, and on the 11th November 1919, the "Pannal Memorial Hall" was opened by Major Cross.
The Memorial Hall has served Pannal well ever since. Mr. Midgeley's Mason Band played for all the dances held there in the 30's. Children's Christmas parties started to be held there from 1928. There was the Pannal Women's Dramatic Society and during WWII films were shown for the troops stationed in the area. There was the initial Baby Health Clinic, "Keep Fit" classes, children's "Play Groups" and many other community activities.
Pannal is believed to have had a Workhouse somewhere near the Church but we don't know precisely where. The only one that can be traced is this building at Lund Green, opposite the "Squinting Cat". It wasn't technically a Workhouse as it was used between the 1780's and the early 1800's for the accomodation and maintenance of paupers from Pannal and Bilton who were homeless. In 1810 Harrogate began the erection of its own Workhouse in Starbeck and in 1814, Pannal gave up its Workhouse and all its paupers were sent to Starbeck.
With Pannal Village growing on the northern bank of Crimple Beck, which was the parish boundary, it was inevitable that development would occur on the south bank. The bridge over the beck joins Main Street from the north to Station Street. The south bank area, though strictly in the village of Follifoot in the Parish of Spofforth, became known as Pannal End (also perhaps as Follifoot End). This arm of Spofforth Parish is barely 200yds wide, finishing just west of here near Burn Bridge. Just up the hill from Pannal Bridge, across the railway line, is the Leeds-Harrogate Road, being the northern boundary of the Parish of Kirkby Overblow.
Right next to Pannal Bridge on the south bank, a group of four co-joined two-storey cottages was built in the early 19thC. Built in a 'U' shape, the cottages at either end were end-on to Station Street with the door facing out. The other two cottages joined the arms of the 'U' across the back of a central garden. The cottages were originally built to house tenant farmers (including this author's g.g.grand-parents c.1850). The southern-most cottage had at one time been occupied by a tradesman who had a wooden sign on the wall above the door. The northern most cottage became Webster's village shop but was converted to a private house in 1986. The other three cottages were demolished around 1970.
In the lower photograph, Pannal Hall can just be seen above the trees beyond the shop and bridge.
Pannal Golf Club was founded in 1905 by a group of local businessmen and existing members of the Harrogate Golf Club which had been in existance since 1892. In 1906 the first 9 holes were laid out, on land leased from the Earl of Harewood, to the design of Sandy Herd, the 1902 Open Champion. Lord Harewood accepted an invitation to become President and a couple of years later, the course was extended to 18 holes. In 1950, the club was able to purchase the land from the Harewood estate.
The photograph was taken at the 1927 English Ladies Close Championship.
We know that a mill was situated here in the 14th century, but the first accurate information is that in 1765 the mill was bought by Dr. Richardson's Charity. It was subsequently sold to James Henry Lister in 1895, who was also a tenant farmer at Walton Head. It remaind in the Lister family for 55 years, operated by his two sons. Then in 1950 it was purchased by Thomas William Bentley of Pannal Hall. He in turn sold it to Mr. and Mrs. Neville Wardle from whom it was then bought by the present owners Mr. and Mrs. Geoffrey Clark.
The Pannal Mill Dam Association made up of owners of the houses around the mill pond, was formed in the 1980's to care for the dam.
Perhaps Pannal's smallest "significant building". The little hearse house stood opposite the Parochial Hall by the entrance to Sandy Bank Quarry. It was used for storing corpses before they were taken to St. Robert's Church to be buried. It was one of the villages ancient buildings, but at 7am one 1992 morning, it was wantonly demolished by Harrogate Borough Council workers, who later admitted that they were not aware of its historical significance.
This was the northern boundary of the Pannal Parish - from the River Crimple in the south to the Pump Room and Oak Beck in the north, from Beckwithshaw in the west to Hookstone Beck in the east. In 1894, a large part of the Parish of Pannal was taken under the auspices of Harrogate.
An old document of that year states, "John Moon in 1711 as appears by terrier (a book recording site, boundaries etc of land of private persons or corporation) in the parish chest gave an inclosure near the sulphur well in the Parish of Pannal to the Vicar of Pannal and his successors subject to the payment of 5 shillings a year at Christmas to the poor of the parish". This land was sold when the Rev. Vawdrey was vicar of Pannal 1862-1875.
The photograph shows the Royal Pump Room, designed by Isaac Shutt and opened in 1842 costing #3,000. Written round the top of the dome is "Arx Celebris Fontibus - The Font of the Celebrated Springs".
The famous "Betty Lupton, Queen of the Wells" with two other ladies, officiated at the public pump. If you were served by them, you had a clean glass, no drinking directly from the tap!. In 1843 she was given an allowance of 7 shillings a week by the Improvements Commissioners. By this time she was an elderly lady of 83 and she unfortunately died not long after this - she is buried in St.Roberts grave-yard in Pannal.
"Brookfield Cottage" is a listed building. Above the door is inscribed "1812 Robert Parker". It used to be two separate cottages. It is now owned by the Pannal Hall estate. In the floods of 1968, the then resident Mrs. Chappel had to stand on her kitchen chair and await rescue by rowing boat.
Art Deco style came to Pannal at No.15 Burn Bridge Road, known locally as "Four Square". In the late 1960's it was the home of the late Alex. Kyle, a noted Yorkshire golfer, Amateur Champion in 1939 and a member of the Walker Cup teams of 1938-47-51. At one time, it had a red Welsh Dragon on the frontage. It was demolished in the late 1980's.
This farm was to the north of Pannal Hall. The house is now known as "Larch Cottage". It was in the gardens of this farm house, that "Procters" - the Pannal Post Office stood till the late 1920's.
This was a beautiful house which was situated in what is now Rosedale Close. It was built in 1833 for James Dickinson, over the foundations of an ancient farmhouse. It had extensive grounds in which were a stream, beautiful trees and shrubs, a magnificent rockery and rose garden together with a large vinery.
Inside, it was beautifully decorated with green embossed wallpaper and brocade curtains in the downstairs rooms. Upstairs was predominantly in blue with ceilings edged in gold. The upper floor was served with a lift.
It was sold in 1963 to a chemical company from Bradford, for use as offices. It was then re-sold to Bradley of York together with the paddock opposite in Main Street. It has now been demolished as part of the Rosedale "development" which bisected its gardens.
Fortunately, the very first Tree Preservation Order in Harrogate, in 1969, managed to retain a living link with the past, hopefully for many years to come.
This is one of Pannal's most popular postcard views. This building fronts Church Lane, looking down Main Street. Now one house, it was built as four cottages. To the left can be seen the old School House.
The field in front of the cottages had six bungalows built there in 1966 as the first stage in the development of the Rosehurst estate.
Rosehurst Terrace is a pleasant group of large terrace houses situate in Mill Lane. In common with houses all over Britain, coal was delivered down the cellar at the front of the house and the ashes were put in the common miden at the back of the houses. The practice seems to have stopped in the late 1930's when each house had delivered, courtesy of Harrogate Borough Council, of a dustbin.
These cottages were built in 1908 to house some of the workers at the Sandy bank Quarries, thus the name Sandy Bank Cottages. Apart from a house added in the 1980's in the little quarry which was once owned by Edwin Shutt, the view is the same today.
The cottage closest to Pannal Bridge at Pannal End was occupied by the Webster family from the 19thC. From 1904 it also operated as a shop, initially by Mr. Edward "Neddy" Webster (Jnr). The bridge has been known as "Neddy" Bridge after Ed. Webster for many years. Latter shop owners were Miss Shutt, Ernerst Garnett, W.Cockerill, Mr.Langley, Mr.Pearse, Capt.Suter, Raymond Leng, Mrs.Smith and finally Mr.Greenwood when the shop closed in 1986 and was converted to a private house.
"Spring Villa" and "Spring Bank" were built in 1878/9. The residents had to go to Horner's Farm (next to the Methodist Church) for water. If the supply failed in hot weather, as it sometimes did, the alternative spring is on a piece of land at the bottom of the hill, down from Rossett Green Lane on the right hand side over the stone wall. In the 1950's, when Mrs. Dixon was resident, it is said that the lintel (dated 1702) and the support stones from "Procter's", and a mill wheel from Harewood Mill, were in the gardens of Spring Villa.
"Springfield House", situated in Green Lane, was built in the early 1800's and is now a listed buiding. It was owned at one time by the Dawson family. Rev. S.T.Dawson was Vicar of St.Luke's Church in Harrogate.
This building is still there behind the cottages on Westminster Drive, Burn Bridge. In danger a few years ago of being demolished, but it is still standing. At the time of the photograph, it was known as "The Limes", but an old 1860 map identifies it as "The Horst".
This old thatched cottage stood at the right-hand side of the entrance to Mill Lane, on the corner of Station Street. Next to it can be seen a small building which was the store-room of the brewery run by Mr. Thomas Knowles. Next to that can be seen Rosehurst Terrace.
By the beginning of the First World War his business had been taken over by the Kirkstall Breweries and his son Fred Knowles was the agent for that company.
The breweries were operating before 1871, but it was in that year that a prospectus was issued and the Kirkstall Brewery Co. Ltd. came into official existance. Their beer was exported to Australia and New Zealand on board their own steamships "SS Charante" and "SS Kirkstall". "Beer was drunk in the high seat of M'lord on any and every possible occassion", so states a book published about the brewery in 1933. Fred Knowles fought in the First World War after which his agency closed.