Pannal Hall was built on the northern banks of Crimple Beck in the 16th C. by the Tancred family. The first building was in the Tudor style in an 'L' shape, with the family's coat of arms carved in stone above the entrance. In 1594, when Francis Tancred died, the estate passed to his son William, then into the hands of the Dougill family who held it for two generations.
In 1724 George Bentley bought the Hall from Ralph Bell. A gr.gr.grand-son Thomas Bentley rebuilt the Hall between 1853 and 1860. Pannal Hall has remained in the Bentley family through into the 21st C. In 1999, the present owner is Mrs. J.Bentley, who along with the estate, inherits the responsibilities of Lay Rector to St.Roberts church. In return for maintaining the chancel fabric "wind and weatherproof" the Lay Rector receives the rare privilege of burial in the chancel.
The picture on the right is part of a large mural in the Pannal Hall out-building, depicting life at the Hall in the late 19th C. St.Roberts church can be seen in the background. The mural was painted by Oliver Pemsel in 1977 as part of the Jubilee celebrations of her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II.
Another part of the mural shows St.Roberts church behind the cottages on the north side of Main street.
William Grainge's book, "The History and Topography of Harrogate and the Forest of Knaresborough" (1871) contains a detailed history of Pannal Hall and the owning families.