Descendants of Joseph Wessels
All information on the Wessels line comes from the Herman Website: http://users.erols.com/herman/index.html
Contributors listed include: Barbara Dawes, Beverly Strong, John Spencer, Allan Wenzel, Berdeen Nelson, Dennis Preston, Joanne Nemeth, Lorna Goodfellow, Thelma Collens, Donna Burgoyne, Judith Runestad, Elizabeth Murray, Diane Wessels, Vera Turnball, Susan Hartt, Robin Adair, Nellie Mitchell, Louise Fey, Allan Birney, Leonora Curtis, Peter and Angela Johnson, Donald C. Wessels, Dave Wessels, Rosalie Kimmerly, Michelle Knoll, Arline Fanning, Ron Smith, librarians, cemetery caretakers, church officials and county clerks from all over Canada and the US.
Feel free to skip around -
1. JOSEPH1 WESSELS was born 1730, and died 1792. He married ARIAANTJE. She died 25 April 1791 in Paramus, Bergen County, New Jersey, US.
Children of JOSEPH WESSELS and ARIAANTJE are:
2. i. NICHOLAS2 WESSELS , b. 1759; d. 1834.
3. ii. SARAH WESSELS , b. 05 July 1761, Paramus, Bergen County, NJ; d. Bef. 1812.
iii. NELLIE WESSELS , baptized 1763.
iv. ARIAANTJE/ADRIAN ( HARRIET) WESSELS , baptized 1768; m. WILLIAM ROWE.
v. BENJAMIN WESSELS , baptized 1775.
Children of NICHOLAS WESSELS and ANNE SMITH are:
4. i. JOSEPH3 WESSELS , b. 1777, Paramus, Bergen County, NJ; d. Bet. 1848 - 1849, Murray Twp.
ii. PHILLIP WESSELS, b. 1778.
iii. JOHN WESSELS , b. 1782.
iv. OWEN WESSELS , b. 1785.
5. v. HARRIET WESSELS , b. 1787, Paramus, Bergen Co., NJ; d. October 1813, Prince Edward Co.
vi. NICHOLAS WESSELS , b. 1789.
vii. STEPHEN WESSELS , b. 1792.
6. viii. SARAH WESSELS , b. 1793, USA or Canada.
ix. CATHARINE WESSELS , b. 1795.
x. ELIZABETH WESSELS, b. 1797.
xi. BENJAMIN WESSELS , b. 1799.
Notes for JOHN ROBLIN:
John was shot in the knee when a raiding party from Washington's army entered his home, destroyed much of its contents and hanged his brother Stephen by the thumbs to a tree in an effort to find money that they suspected to be hidden. Sarah and John came to Quebec (as it was called then) in 1787 with Stephen Roblin (John's brother), Nicholas Wessels (Sarah's brother) and Ann Wessels. There is no instance where John Roblin or any of his family drew land as Loyalists or sons or daughters of Loyalists...it appears that John Roblin took no part in the rebellion. John and Sarah settled in Adolphustown, P.E. County. John Roblin died Feb. 27, 1793. It is thought that his early death was caused by the poor care and abuse he received in the Rebel hospital after he had been shot in the knee. Sarah moved to Sophiasburg and bought Lot 26, Con 1. She is found here with 262 acres in 1803. In 1812 this land was conveyed to Stephen Roblin by his sister Sarah (Roblin) Wilson. It is believed that Sarah had died before 1812.
Children of SARAH WESSELS and JOHN ROBLIN are:
i. ELIZABETH 3 ROBLIN, m. SETH STEVENS.
ii. REBECCA ROBLIN, m. GARRET VAN HORN.
iii. SARAH ROBLIN, m. JAMES WILSON.
iv. ANN ROBLIN, b. 1782; m. DAVID DULMAGE.
7. v. HARIET ROBLIN, b. 12 January 1783, New Jersey; d. 22 September 1858, Sophiasburg.
vi. JOHN ROBLIN, b. 1791; m. SARAH SNIDER/ SNYDER.
vii. OWEN ROBLIN JR.
Notes for OWEN ROBLIN JR.: This may be an error. Conflicting information from the family of John Roblin, Owen Roblin and C. Loral Wanamaker. Wanamaker wrote the Roblin Family Histories.
4. JOSEPH3 WESSELS (NICHOLAS2, JOSEPH1) was born 1777 in Paramus, Bergen County, New Jersey, US, and died Bet. 1848 - 1849 in Murray Twp.. He married MARGARET. She was born Abt. 1783 in Estimated from census data, and died Bet. 1861 - 1871.
Notes for JOSEPH WESSELS:
Joseph came to Quebec (as it was then called) in 1787 with his father and family. In 1797, Joseph petitions for 200 acres as a settler. The petition is recommended and he receives Lot 19, Con 5 in Murray Twp. Sept 21, 1839 Joseph petitions again. Joseph states that he is the eldest son of Nicholas Wessels, that he originally petitioned in 1797 and was given lot 19 in the 5th concession. He states that he settled there in 1807 and hath ever since resided there... and "that he hath arrived at the age of sixty-two years"...and that he has cleared about 50 acres of the property. Joseph has never been given clear title to this land and is petitioning for title without fee. In 1846 the crown finally grants Joseph a patent on Lot 19, Con 5. Margaret is listed in the 1851 Murray Twp census as a widow, 68 years of age, living with Philip Jacob Wessels and his family. In the 1861 Murray Twp Census, Margaret, 77 years of age is living with Nicholas J Wessels and his family. It is believed that she died between 1861 and 1871. Joseph died between 1848 and 1849. He is listed in the 1848 Newcastle Census for Murray Twp but not in the 1850 census. In 1849 Philip J. Wessels grants 100 acres of Lot 19, Con 5 to his brother Nicholas Wessels.
Children of JOSEPH WESSELS and MARGARET are:
8. i. PHILIP JACOB 4 WESSELS , b. 1805, Prince Edward County; d. 03 February 1893.
9. ii. NICHOLAS J. WESSELS , b. 1818, Murray Twp.; d. 02 March 1863.
iii. JOSEPH I. (P) WESSELS , b. 1798.
Notes for JOSEPH I. (P) WESSELS :
Joseph I. Wessels (30 years old) is listed in "Men of Upper Canada Militia Rolls 1828-9, 3rd Regiment Northumberland Militia, 8th Company. Placement in the family of Joseph and Margaret is speculation. Joseph (1777) is the only family member old enough to have had a son in 1798. Joseph I is too young to have been a brother to Nicholas, the father of Joseph (1777) and is not likely to be a son of Nicholas as he has a son Joseph b 1777. Philip's children are known and he is too old to have been the son of any of Nicholas's other children. Joseph I b 1798 would be of an appropriate age to be a brother to Philip (1803) and son of Joseph (1777). Nothing more was ever found of Joseph.
iv. ELIZABETH " BETSEY" (P) WESSELS , b. Abt. 1814.
10. v. REBECCA (P) WESSELS , b. Bet. 1822 - 1828.
5. HARRIET3 WESSELS (NICHOLAS2, JOSEPH1) was born 1787 in Paramus, Bergen County, New Jersey, US, and died October 1813 in Prince Edward County, Ontario. She married JONATHAN GREELEY 1810 in Prince Edward County, Ontario, son of AARON GREELY and SUSANNA BURNHAM. He was born 03 November 1779 in Hopkinton, New Hampshire, US, died on either 25 or 27 July 1856 and was buried 28 July 1856, Bethel/Doxee Cemetery, Sophiasburg.
Children of HARRIET WESSELS and JONATHAN GREELEY are:
i. NICHOLAS 4 GREELEY, b. 26 November 1811.
ii. ANNA GREELEY, b. 20 November 1812.
Notes for JOBE HART: The Harts are from Wales. Jobe probably lived in Canada about the time Harriet married her husband. This particular family sector information comes from Susan Hartt.
Children of SARAH WESSELS and JOBE HART are:
ii. REBECCA HART, b. 1819; m. X NAGLE.
iii. ANNA HART , b. 1820; m. (1) X SLEE; m. (2) X NEEVES.
iv. JONATHON HART, b. 1822.
v. NICHOLAS HART, b.
1824; m. MARY
1860 Census Page 85 of Sanilac, Sanilac County, Michigan:
1870 Census Page 22 of Worth Township, Sanilac County, Michigan
vi. ALLEN HART, b. 1826.
vii. JOHN HART, b. 1828.
viii. ELIZABETH HART, b. 1830; m. X MARTIN.
ix. SARAH HART, b. 1834; m. X HETLEY.
x. ISAAC HART, b. 1836.
xi. ENOCH HART, b. 1838; m. X JEFFREY.
xii. WILLIAM HART, b. 1840.
xiii. EDWARD HART, b. 1840; m. X JEFFREY.
7. HARIET3 ROBLIN (SARAH2 WESSELS, JOSEPH1) was born 12 January 1783 in New Jersey, and died 22 September 1858 in Sophiasburg. She married (1) ABSOLAM LOVELESS. She married (2) JONATHAN GREELEY 1814 in Prince Edward County, son of AARON GREELY and SUSANNA BURNHAM. He was born 03 November 1779 in Hopkinton, New Hampshire, US, died either 25 or 27 July 1856 and was buried 28 July 1856, Bethel/Doxee Cemetery, Sophiasburg.
Children of HARIET ROBLIN and JONATHAN GREELEY are:
i. PHOEBE4 GREELEY, b. 24 January 1813.
ii. SARAH GREELEY, b. 12 November 1816.
iii. JONATHAN GREELEY, b. 28 December 1818.
iv. ELIZA HARRIET GREELEY, b. 26 August 1820.
v. ABSOLAM GREELEY , b. 02 April 1823.
Notes for PHILIP JACOB WESSELS:
1828, Philip Wessels age 25 is listed with the 8th Company of the Northumberland Militia. Philip and Hannah are listed in the 1851 and 1861 Murray Twp Census as living on Con 5, Lot 19. In 1871, 1881, and 1891 Philips is listed on the same property living with Enos and his family.
Children of PHILIP WESSELS and HANNAH MARIE are:
i. JOSEPH5 WESSELS, b. 30 September 1830; d. 1909.
Notes for JOSEPH WESSELS:
1851 Ontario Provincial Census lists Joseph, 22 as a laborer living with Thomas Scott's family in Murray Twp. In 1901 Joseph is living with his brother Albert, in Murray Twp. He is a farm laborer.
12. ii. WILLIAM WESSELS , b. 28 August 1831; d. Aft. 06 December 1906, Frankford.
13. iii. SARAH WESSELS , b. 15 December 1834.
14. iv. S. ENOS WESSELS , b. 22 June 1838, Murray Twp., Ontario; d. 24 April 1925, Murray Twp., Ontario.
v. ANNA MARGARET WESSELS , b. 1841; d. Bet. 1891 - 1901; m. TRUMAN HORSLEY, 26 November 1865, Murray Twp.,
Notes for ANNA MARGARET WESSELS:
The 1871, 1881, and 1891 Ontario provincial census show Truman and Anna as living in Murray Twp. Anna died between 1891 and 1901. In the 1901 Murray census Truman is shown as married to Northumberland Census Agnes Bigelow (other spouse). There were no children.
15. vi. ALBERT B. WESSELS , b. 04 March 1845; d. 1911.
9. NICHOLAS J.4 WESSELS (JOSEPH3, NICHOLAS2, JOSEPH1) was born 1818 in Murray Twp., and died 02 March 1863. He married JEMINA PRESTON 04 January 1854 in Victoria District, daughter of BENJAMIN PRESTON and DIADAMIA POTTER. She was born 1831, and died 11 February 1870. Jemina died of typhoid fever.
Notes for NICHOLAS J. WESSELS:
Nicholas and Jemina are listed in the 1861 Provincial Census for Murray Twp. David, Alfred, Annie, and Phebe are all living with relatives in the 1871 census. In 1874 Warren Scott, Albert Wessels and Enos Wessels put up $2000.00 as guardians of Nicholas and Jemina Wessels children.
Children of NICHOLAS WESSELS and JEMINA PRESTON are:
i. ALFRED5 WESSELS , b. 1856.
Notes for ALFRED WESSELS :
Alfred, 16 years is listed in the 1871 Ontario Provincial census as living in Murray Twp. with Joel Locklin, his stepfather, after the death of his mother Jemina. In 1881, he is living with his sister Annie with Albert Wessels and Mary Anderson. Nothing more is known of Alfred.
ii. PHEBE JANE WESSELS , b. 1858; m. FRANCIS H. BESAUNDY.
Notes for PHEBE JANE WESSELS :
Phebe Jane 14 years is listed in the 1871 Ontario Provincial Census as living in Murray Twp with her Aunt Deborah (Preston) and John W. Russ. Nothing more is known about Phebe.
iii. DAVID WESSELS , b. 1859.
Notes for DAVID WESSELS :
David, 10 years is listed in the 1871 Ontario Provincial Census as living in Murray Twp with Benjamin and Diademea Preston, his grandparents, after the death of his mother, Jemina. In 1881 David is living with his Uncle Isaac Nelson Preston and family. Nothing more is known of David.
iv. ANNIE MARGARET WESSELS , b. 1862.
Notes for ANNIE MARGARET WESSELS :
Annie is listed in the 1871 Ontario Provincial Census as living with Owen Wessels and Sarah Ann Preston, her aunt, after the death of her mother, Jemina. In 1881, she is listed with her brother Alfred living with Albert and Mary Wessels. Nothing more is known of Annie.
10. REBECCA (P)4 WESSELS (JOSEPH3, NICHOLAS2, JOSEPH1) was born Bet. 1822 - 1828. She married JACOB STIMERS1 13 February 18451, son of JACOB STIMERS and MARY. He was born 22 March in Belleville, Hasting County, and died 20 January 1908 in Bayham Township, Elgin County, Ontario, Canada1.
Child of REBECCA WESSELS and JACOB STIMERS is:
i. HANNAH MARGARET 5 STIMERS, b. 1846, Cayuga Township, Haldimand County, Ontario, Canada; d. 02 July 1916, Springvale; m. CHRISTIAN WINGER, 01 January 1868, Brant County, Ontario, Canada; b. Abt. 1844, Walpole Township, Brant County, Ontario, Canada.
11. HARRIET4 HART (SARAH3 WESSELS, NICHOLAS2, JOSEPH1) was born 01 June 1832, and died 04 May 1920 in Sanilac, Sanilac County, Michigan, USA. She married HEZEKIAH GRAVES 1850, son of DANIEL GRAVES and MARY FERGUSON. He was born 01 January 1819 in Canada West, and died 22 September 1892 in Sanilac, Sanilac County, Michigan, USA.
Please visit Hezekiah's page for more information on the children: Hezekiah Graves and Harriet Hart.
12. WILLIAM5 WESSELS (PHILIP JACOB4, JOSEPH3, NICHOLAS2, JOSEPH1) was born 28 August 1831, and died Aft 06 December 1906 in Frankford. He married ELIZABETH "BETSEY" LIVINGSTON MCCOLL. She died 29 December 1884 in Murray Twp..
Notes for WILLIAM WESSELS:
In the 1861 Ontario Provincial Census William is living with Samuel and Elizabeth McColl and their family in Murray Twp. In 1871 and 1881 William is living with Betsy McColl and their family in Murray Twp. In 1891, William, a widower is living with his son Albert in Murray Twp. In 1901 William is on his own in Murray. Strange fact - William died after Dec 6 1906 in Frankford - how do we know it was in Frankford?
Notes for ELIZABETH "BETSEY" LIVINGSTON MCCOLL: Previously married to Livingston?
Children of WILLIAM WESSELS and ELIZABETH MCCOLL are:
i. WILLIAM JOHN 6 WESSELS , b. 1862.
ii. GEORGE WESSELS , b. 1863, Wooler, Murray Twp., Ontario; d. 1937, Frankford, Ontario; m. HENRIETTA IBY , 06 August 1899, Trenton; b. 1875, Trenton; d. 1960, Frankford, Ontario. George and Henrietta are both buried in Holy Trinity Anglican Cemetery, Frankford, Ontario.
iii. ALBERT WESSELS , b. 02 June 1864; d. 24 January 1922.
iv. ALICE WESSELS , b. 1867.
Notes for SARAH WESSELS: The 1871 Ontario provincial Census lists Sarah and Israel as living in Murray Twp.
Children of SARAH WESSELS and ISRAEL FITZGERALD are:
i. ALBERT 6 FITZGERALD , b. 1862.
ii. ENOS FITZGERALD, b. 1866.
iii. MARY FITZGERALD, b. 1870.
14. S. ENOS5 WESSELS (PHILIP JACOB4, JOSEPH3, NICHOLAS2, JOSEPH1) was born 22 June 1838 in Murray Twp., Ontario, and died 24 April 1925 in Murray Twp., Ontario. He married LYDIA MARY FITZGERALD, daughter of JAMES FITZGERALD and ELIZABETH. She was born 20 February 1842, and died 07 December 1932. Enos. and Lydia are both buried in Friends Cemetery, Wooler, Murray Twp, Ontario.
Children of S. WESSELS and LYDIA FITZGERALD are:
i. PHILIP JAMES 6 WESSELS , b. 16 July 1862; d. 19 October 1953.
ii. LORENZO WESSELS , b. February 1864; d. 24 March 1901.
iii. IDA WESSELS , b. 1867; m. CHARLES EASTON.
iv. GEORGE A. WESSELS , b. 09 March 1869; d. 21 August 1872.
v. AMANDA E. WESSELS , b. 19 September 1871; d. 22 August 1872.
vi. CLARA VICTORIA WESSELS , b. 08 August 1873; d. 1962.
vii. NORRIS WESSELS , b. 01 September 1877.
viii. LILLIAN MAY WESSELS , b. 23 May 1880.
ix. ETHEL GERTRUDE WESSELS , b. 23 November 1884; d. 14 March 1970.
x. GLENA WESSELS , b. 11 November 1888.
15. ALBERT B.5 WESSELS (PHILIP JACOB4, JOSEPH3, NICHOLAS2, JOSEPH1) was born 04 March 1845, and died 1911. He married MARY ANDERSON. She was born 04 July 1852, and died 1927. Albert and Mary are buried in Friends Cemetery, Wooler, Murray Twp, Ontario
Notes for ALBERT B. WESSELS:
The 1881 and 1901 Ontario census list Albert and Mary as living in Murray Twp.
Children of ALBERT WESSELS and MARY ANDERSON are:
i. ELGIN MILTON6 WESSELS , b. 22 March 1874; d. 1944; m. LILLIAN MAY ANDERSON , 30 September 1903; b. 1874; d. 18 April 1959, Trenton, Michigan. Elgin and Lillian are both buried in Friends Cemetery, Brighton. (BRIGHTON WHERE?)
ii. ALBERT " ERNEST" WESSELS , b. 29 January 1878; d. 13 December 1930, Toronto; m. RUTH AUDREY JONES , 24 May 1906, Toronto; b. 1887; d. Bowmanville.
iii. ADELINE "EVA" MAY WESSELS , b. 22 March 1883, Murray Twp.; m. LORNE B. CLARKE, 02 January 1907, Brighton Twp.; b. 1883, Brighton Twp.
iv. BYRON WESSELS , b. 12 October 1891; d. 06 November 1895.
2. Nancy Waters.