Descendants of X Deforest
Generation No. 1
1. X1 DEFOREST was born in Connecticut. He married X. She was born in Massachusetts.
Child of X DEFOREST and X is:
2. i. LUTHER2 DEFOREST, b. Bet. 1790 - 1796, Massachusetts, .
Generation No. 2
2. "ELMON" LUTHER2 DEFOREST (X1) was born Bet. 1790 - 1796 in Massachusetts. He married MARY A. CUNNINGHAM. She was born 1798 in Massachusetts, and died of old age 06 October 1882 in Sanilac County, MI. (recorded 10 May 1883(12)
Notes for LUTHER DEFOREST:
*Luther has a rotating birthdate calculated from the census. Several say 1784 and several say 1794 depending on which source you use.
Luther lived in Niagara Canada for awhile
American Ancestry V 65 Mary C. m. Luther DeForest 929.016.m964,
1841 lived in Oxford Co. Ontario (Donna Davis) DDavis345@aol.com
(Borderbund's The Ontario Register 1780's-1870's CD #204.)
World Family Tree Vol. 09, Ed. 1, (Release date: March 31, 1997), Tree #0589 shows:
Born WFT Est. 1776-1805
Died WFT Est. 1802-1845
Married WFT Est. 1802-1845
The History of Saginaw County, Michigan. Chicago: Chas. C. Chapman & Co., 1881, p. 745, Luther is quoted with his son Harrison:
*This mention of Luther is also listed in the An Index of Pioneers from Massachusetts to the West Especially the State of Michigan: This List Includes Many Sons and Daughters of Old Bay State Families who Removed to New York and States of the Middle West By Charles Allcott Flagg, published by Genealogical Pub. Co., 1975.
1820 Census Unadilla, Otsego County, New York, United States:
1828 Clinton Township, Lincoln County, Ontario, Canada Census:
|NAME||MALE < 16||FEMALE < 16||MALE > 16||FEMALE > 16||TOTAL|
1850 Census Sanilac Township, Sanilac County, Michigan, United States:
1860 Census Sanilac Township, Sanilac County, Michigan, United States
1870 Census Sanilac Township, Sanilac County, Michigan, United States
1880 Census Sanilac Township, Sanilac County, Michigan, United States
Children of LUTHER DEFOREST and MARY CUNNINGHAM are:
3. i. HARRISON3 DEFOREST, b. 13 March 1821, Sachetts Harbor, New York, ; d. 03 July 1904, Brady Township, Saginaw County, MI, .
4. ii. CALVIN DEFOREST, b. 1826, or 1828 from census, or 1832, Canada, 1827 Tiffany Fugere, or 1832 from Esther; d. Bef. 1880.
iii. CHRISTIANA DEFOREST, b. 1827, Canada; m. LUKE STOUTENBURG, 21 August 1870, Sanilac County, MI, ; b. 1818, Per Sanilac County Marriage Records.
iv. WILLIAMB DEFOREST, b. 1831, Per Sanilac County Vital Records; m. HARRIET RING, 20 August 1854; b. Abt. 1838.
Marriage witnessed by: James Drown and Harrison DeForest
5. v. LYMAN DEFOREST, b. 1827; d. 1895, Antrim County, MI.
vi. ELIZABETH DEFOREST11.
vii. PLAMENA DEFOREST11.
Generation No. 3
3. HARRISON3 DEFOREST (LUTHER2, X1) was born 13 March 1821 in Sachetts Harbor, New York, , and died of acute gangrene 03 July 1904 in Brady Township, Saginaw County, MI, . He married MARTHA MARIA SPENCER 1844 in Zorra, Oxford. Co. Ontario, daughter of JOHANNA SPENCER and X SPENCER. She was born 04 October 1830 in Rochester, New York, , and died 1923.
Notes for HARRISON DEFOREST:
Lived in Porter County Indiana cir. 1844 - 1846
Then he moved to Sanilac and lived there approximately 30 years.
Another possible birth date is Eb 1820. Source is Elaine Rumler.
Brady Twp. Saginaw Co. Mich. 1881
Harrison DeForest, agriculturist, sec. 24; was born near Sackett's Harbor, N.Y. March 24, 1823. His parents were Luther and Mary A. (Cunningham) DeForest. His father was born in Massachusetts in 1706?? of French Ancestry, and his mother was born in New York, of Irish desent. He was born and raised on a farm. In the spring of 1858 he removed with his parents to Niagara Co. Canada. When 21 years of age he went to Porter Co. Ind. and engaged in farming for himself. After residing there two years he went to Sanilac Co. Mich. where he remained 30 years, and then removed to Brady Twp. in the spring of 1874. He bought 60 acres of land on sec.24, 57 of which are under cultivation. Nov. 14, 1846, he married Martha M. daughter of Johanna Spencer, who was born in Rockester, N.Y. Oct 4, 1830. They have had 12 children, 10 of whom are living. John, in Sanilac twp. Sanilac Co. Mich. Mary A. born Oct 22, 1851; William H. born Dec 8 1853; Walter, born April 4, 1855; James b.June 16, 1857; Luther, born May 4, 1859; Calvin, born Jan 4, 1861; Martha M. born 16 Mar 1863; Abigail, born 4 Jul 1866 and George, born 5 Aug 1871. In politics Mr. D. is a Republican, and himself and wife are members of the M.E. Church. The deceased are Roxena and Sarah.
The Chesning Argus
Mr. Harrison DeForest was born at Sachetts Harbor, NY. 24 March 1821. Died in Brady twp. Sun morning July3. His father was a farmer and removed his family to Niagara Co. Canada in 1858. At 21 years of age he married Miss Martha M. Spencer and removed to Porter Co. Indiana and from there to Sanilac Co. Mich. and after residing there 30 years the family moved to Brady, Saginaw Co. In the spring of 1874 he purchased 60 acres of land on which he lived until his death. He was a member of the M.E. Church and died firm in the Christian faith. 12 children were the fruits of their married life. 4 of whom preceeded him and 8 are left with a widow and many friends to mourn his departure. Funeral from the ME church in Oakley, Tues afternoon at 2 o'clock.
Card of Thanks
We wish to return our heartfelt thanks to our kind neighbors and friends who so kindly assisted us in the last sickness of our dear father also J.V. Campbell for his comforting words and the choir for music rendered and all others who furnished flowers.
Martha M. DeForest
Mary A. Beers
1850 Census Lexington, Sanilac County, Michigan
1860 Census Sanilac County, Michigan
1870 Census Sanilac County, Michigan
1880 Census Sanilac County, Michigan
Children of HARRISON DEFOREST and MARTHA SPENCER are:
i. ROXANNA4 DEFOREST, b. 1846, Indiana; d. Bef. 1881; m. ASA W. BOLAND , 15 March 1863, Sanilac County, MI. Marriage witnessed by: Harrison DeForest and
6. ii. JOHN DEFOREST, b. 01 February 1849, Zorey Township, MI, ; d. 20 April 1928, Chesaning, MI, .
iii. MARY ANN DEFOREST, b. 22 October 1851, Sanilac County, MI, ; m. ALFRED H BEERS, 02 January 1866, Sanilac County, MI, ; b. 1841. Marriage witnessed by:
Joseph Beers and Martha DeForest
7. iv. WILLIAM HARRISON DEFOREST, b. 08 December 1853; d. 23 September 1929.
8. v. WALTER DEFOREST, b. 04 April 1855, MI, .
vi. JAMES DEFOREST, b. 16 June 1857, MI; d. 29 March 1929, Saginaw County, MI - died myocarditis.
9. vii. LUTHER DEFOREST, b. 04 May 1859, Sanilac County, MI, ; d. 08 November 1899, Oakley, Saginaw County, MI, .
viii. CALVIN DEFOREST, b. 04 January 1861, MI, ; d. 19 June 1950, State Hospital, Traverse City, MI of arterioscleroses and gangrene of the right foot10; m. ALICE M
FICKEYE, On 25th, 1894; b. April 1874.
ix. MARTHA M DEFOREST, b. 16 March 1863, MI, ; m. DR. JOHN NELSON, 11 November 18809, Saginaw County, MI; b. 1856.
x. ABIGAIL DEFOREST, b. 04 July 1866, Sanilac County, MI; m. AUGUST REAGE, 14 August 1886, Saginaw County, MI; b. Germany.
xi. GEORGE DEFOREST, b. 05 August 1871; d. 18 March 1895, Brady Twp., Saginaw County, MI1 - died of gunshot wounds. Occupation: Laborer
xii. SARAH DEFOREST, d. Bef. 1881.
4. CALVIN3 DEFOREST (LUTHER2, X1) was born 1826 in or 1828 from census, or 1832, Canada, 1827 Tiffany Fugere, or 1832 from Esther, and died Bef. 1880. He married HANNA/H DROWN 17 June 1851 in Sanilac County, MI, . She was born 1826 in Vermont, .
Notes for CALVIN DEFOREST and HANNAH DROWN:
1850 Sanilac County, Michigan Census
1860 Sanilac County, Michigan Census
1870 Sanilac County, Michigan Census
1880 Sanilac County, Michigan, Census
Children of CALVIN DEFOREST and HANNA/H DROWN are:
i. JOB4 DEFOREST, b. 1848, Sanilac County, MI.
ii. MARY JANE DEFOREST, b. 1852; m. AMOS WELOFONG OR WILDFONG, 26 October 1867, Sanilac, MI, .
10. iii. AMOS DEFOREST, b. June 1855, Or 1856.
iv. ELIZABETH DEFOREST, b. 1859, Or 1860; m. JOHN SLATER, 12 April 1883, Sanilac, MI.
11. v. UPHAMIE/ EUPHEMIA/ PHERLIA ANNA JANE DEFOREST, b. 04 July 1861, Sanilac, MI, ; d. 05 May 1932, Gilford, MI.
vi. CHRISTIANA DEFOREST, b. 1864, Or1865, Or 1866, Sanilac Township, Sanilac County; m. JACOB S. HOUSE, 26 April 1883, Washington Twp., Sanilac County, MI;
b. 1861, Watertown, Sanilac County, MI. Christiana and Jacob were farmers.
Marriage Notes for CHRISTIANA DE FOREST and JACOB HOUSE:
William L. Benedict, Justice of the Peace
Witnessed by Mary Benedict of Washington Twp and Sarah DeForest of Sanilac
vii. BARBAY DEFOREST, b. 1868.
viii. MARY ELLEN DEFOREST, b. 1880.
ix. MARY DEFOREST, b. 1849, Two months old at time of census, born in Sanilac.
5. LYMAN3 DEFOREST (LUTHER 2, X1) was born 1827 (1834)8, and died 1895 in Antrim County, MI and was buried Bay View Cemetery, Antrim County, MI7. He married MARTHA JANE CRAIG 17 June 1851 in Sanilac County, MI7. She was born January 1835 in Canada, and died 25 April 1909 in Antrim County, MI and was buried Bay View Cemetery, Antrim County, MI7.
Notes for LYMAN DEFOREST and MARTHA JANE CRAIG::
*Just an aside, the Graves also married into the Craig family in this area. They are connected in family lines. See The Ancestors of Brenda Pederson.
1850 Sanilac County, Michigan Census
1860 Sanilac County, Michigan Census (living with his mother and father still, but married)
1870 Sanilac County, Michigan Census
1880 Sanilac County, Michigan Census
1900 Central Lake, Antrim County, Michigan Census
Martha was burned and blinded in a forest fire in Sanilac County (could have been Great Fire which also burned Grace Graves?).
Children of LYMAN DEFOREST and MARTHA CRAIG are:
i. JULIA4 DEFOREST, b. 1852, Canada.
ii. ELIZA DEFOREST, b. 1855, MI; m. ARTHUR MAXWELL.
iii. LENA/LUNA DEFOREST, b. 1856, MI4.
12. iv. ZIBA BURTON DEFOREST, b. February 1857, MI.
v. JAMES DEFOREST, b. December 1861, MI4; m. (1) MARY SANFORD; b. January 1872; m. (2) MATTIE WARDROP.
13. vi. LUTHER DEFOREST, b. February 1863.
vii. MARTHA DEFOREST, b. 1871, MI.
viii. MARY DEFOREST, b. 1872, MI; m. WILLIAM A CARPENTER, 13 January 1887, Sanilac County, MI.
Generation No. 4
6. JOHN4 DEFOREST (HARRISON3, LUTHER2, X1) was born 01 February 1849 in Zorey Township, MI, , and died 20 April 1928 in Chesaning, MI, . He married (1) MARY MORLEY 16 December 1868 in Sanilac County, MI, . She was born Abt. 1850 in MI, (from Tiffany Fugere). He married (2) CATHERINE INGLES 1880 in Harbor Beach, Huron County, MI, , daughter of PHILLIP INGLES and SARAH COVES. She was born 12 April 1855 in Cardoc, Canada, died 27 April 1894 (19441) in Chesaning, MI and was buried Wildwood Cemetary, Chesaning, MI.
Children of JOHN DEFOREST and MARY MORLEY are:
i. NETTIE5 DEFOREST, b. 1869, Sanilac County, MI, .
ii. WALTER DEFOREST, b. 1874; m. EVA MAY DAVIDS, 12 January 1897, Coruna, Shiawassee County, MI; b. 1877.
iii. JAMES W DEFOREST, b. 05 July 1875; d. 10 September 1885, Saginaw County, MI -killed in accident and buried Wildwood Cemetary, Chesaning, MI.
Children of JOHN DEFOREST and CATHERINE INGLES are:
iv. ANNA B5 DEFOREST, b. January 1881; d. Bef. 1944.
v. LUTHER A DEFOREST, b. 1882; d. 1907, Wildwood Cemetary, Chesaning, MI, .
vi. WILLIAM A DEFOREST, b. June 1885; d. Bef. 1944.
vii. LEAPHA V DEFOREST, b. November 1886; d. Bef. 1944.
viii. ALTA M DEFOREST, b. February 1889; m. CHARLES KETTLER, 01 February 1905.
ix. OLIVE V DEFOREST, b. May 1890, Chesaning, MI, ; d. Bef. 1944; m. GEORGE KETTLER, 05 July 1915.
14. x. GROVER C DEFOREST, b. October 1893; d. 1968, Ingham County, MI, .
xi. LENA DEFOREST, b. 27 January 1897; d. 09 February 1897, Branat Twp., Sanilac County, MI, ; buried Wildwood Cemetery, Chesaning, MI.
xii. MARTHA DEFOREST.
7. WILLIAM HARRISON DEFOREST (HARRISON, LUTHER2, X1) was born 08 December 1853, died 23 September 1929 and was buried in St. Charles Cemetery, Saginaw County, MI. He married LILLIAN A THOMPSON 22 December 1890. She was born 1867, and died 1961.
Children of WILLIAM DEFOREST and LILLIAN THOMPSON are:
i. DOLLY R5 DEFOREST, b. January 18921.
ii. FREDERICK C DEFOREST, b. June 18961.
iii. FRANK H. DEFOREST, b. March 18991.
8. WALTER DEFOREST, (HARRISON, LUTHER, X1) was born 04 April 1855 in MI, . He married MARGARET FLYNN 27 January 1877 in Sanilac County, MI, . She was born 1861.
More About WALTER DEFOREST:
Marriage Notes for WALTER DEFOREST and MARGARET FLYNN:
Officiated by William S.M. Blakeley, Justice of the Peace
Witnessed by Sylvester and Elenor Cease of Sanilac, MI
Children of WALTER DEFORESTARGARET FLYNN are:
i. JOHN HENRY5 DEFOREST, b. 1878; m. (1) X; m. (2) CLARISSA FOUNTAIN, 08 July 1918, Coruna, Shiawassee County, MI, ; b. Abt. 1882, Port Huron, St. Clair County, MI1.
ii. GEORGE DEFOREST, b. 1879, MI.
iii. LUCY M DEFOREST, b. November 1885; d. Possibly 1901.
iv. FLOSSIE DEFOREST, b. 1888; d. 29 April 1895, Argyle Twp., Sanilac County, MI.
v. EFFIE DEFOREST, b. July 18921.
9. LUTHER DEFOREST, (HARRISON 3, LUTHER 1) was born 04 May 1859 in Sanilac County, MI, , died 08 November 1899 in Oakley, Saginaw County, MI and was buried in Sec 5 158 Wildwood Cemetary, Chesning, Saginaw County, MI. He married IDA MACINTIRE 29 December 1883 in Branch County, MI, .
Children of LUTHER DEFOREST and IDA MACINTIRE are:
i. ZELLA 5 DEFOREST, b. 16 February 1888; d. 03 May 1888, Saginaw County, MI, Brain Inflammation; bur. Wildwood Cemetary, Chesning, MI.
ii. FLOSSIE DEFOREST, b. Abt. 1889.
15. iii. LEOTA LORETTA REBECCA DEFOREST, b. August 1891.
10. AMOS4 DEFOREST (CALVIN, LUTHER 1) was born June 1855 in Or 1856. He married HANNAH E. KRINER 30 December 1878 in Sanilac, MI1.
Children of AMOS DEFOREST and HANNAH KRINER are:
i. WILLIAM H5 DEFOREST, b. July 1881.
ii. LAURA J DEFOREST, b. 1885; d. 01 January 1886, Sanilac County, MI.
iii. CHARLOTTE DEFOREST, b. 1886.
iv. IDA M DEFOREST, b. April 1888, MI.
v. BERTHA V DEFOREST, b. August 1890.
vi. GEORGE A DEFOREST, b. August 1892.
vii. ELSIE M DEFOREST, b. February 1895.
11. UPHAMIE/ EUPHEMIA/ PHERLIA ANNA JANE DEFOREST (CALVIN, LUTHER 1) was born 04 July 1861 in Sanilac, MI, and died 05 May 1932 in Gilford, MI. She married DANIEL JAMES GRAVES 08 August 1876 in Sanilac, MI, son of ENOCH GRAVES and RACHEL SIPES . He was born 08 September 1858 in Kingston, Ontario, and died 09 June 1916 in Cass City, Alpena County, MI.
See information under Graves family file.
12. ZIBA BURTON4,6 DEFOREST (LYMAN, LUTHER 1) was born February 1857 in MI, . He married LUCINDA DELONG6 03 February 18776, daughter of JAMES DELONG and MARY FOLSOM. She was born February 1864 in Canada, and died 26 December 1937 in (date from Germaine Barrett).
Children of ZIBA DEFOREST and LUCINDA DELONG are:
i. EMMA 5 DEFOREST, b. June 1881; d. 16 August 1882, Southern Cemetary, Cen. Lk. Twp., Antrim County, MI, .
ii. JAMES R DEFOREST, b. July 1883.
iii. CLARENCE DEFOREST, b. April 1885.
iv. CHARLES J DEFOREST, b. June 1886.
18. v. JESSE CHARLES DEFOREST, b. 1888, Central Lake, MI, ; d. Abt. 1955, Central Lake, MI, .
vi. WILLIAM S DEFOREST, b. August 1889.
vii. BESSIE DEFOREST, b. January 18925.
19. viii. ORRA KIP WELLINGTON DEFOREST, b. February 1894.
ix. ERNEST DEFOREST, b. June 1895.
x. GRACE DEFOREST, b. June 1897.
xi. LULU DEFOREST, b. 1901.
20. xii. MARY LUCINDA DEFOREST, b. 1904.
xiii. JOHN DEFOREST, b. 1906.
21. xiv. LAVONA DEFOREST OR MARTHA LAVENA?, b. 1910.
13. LUTHEREFOREST (LYMAN, LUTHER 1) was born February 1863. He married ELLEN BARBER. She was born May 1864 in Ohio.
Children of LUTHER DEFOREST and ELLEN BARBER are:
i. CHARLOTTE5 DEFOREST, b. August 1896.
ii. EARL DEFOREST, b. June 1899.
iii. EVA DEFOREST, b. 1903.
Generation No. 5
14. GROVER C5 DEFOREST (JOHN, HARRISON, LUTHER 1) was born October 1893, and died 1968 in Ingham County, MI. He married ELSIE Z.
Children of GROVER DEFOREST and ELSIE are:
i. X (LIVING)6 DEFOREST
ii. JO ELLEN MARIE DEFOREST.
15. LEOTA LORETTAREBECCA 5 DEFOREST (LUTHER4, HARRISON3, LUTHER2, X1) was born August 1891. She married ERNEST CLARK LOYER, son of GEORGE LOYER and MARYBELL LOYER.He was born October 1881, and died 1938 in Coldwater, MI1.
18. JESSE CHARLES DEFOREST4, son of G (ZIBA BURTON4, LYMANUTHER2, X1) was born 1888 in Central Lake, MI, and died Abt. 1955 in Central Lake, MI. He married WILMA NORRIS, daughter of JOHN NORRIS and MARY. She was born July 1882 in MI, and died in Central Lake, MI.
Children of JESSE DEFOREST and WILMA NORRIS are:
i. FREDERICK6 DEFOREST.
ii. LUCINDA DEFOREST, b. Abt. 1912; m. HARRISON LOPER.
iii. JOHN DEFOREST, b. Abt. 1913; m. GOLDIE HOFFMAN.
iv. HELEN DEFOREST, b. Abt. 1918; m. ERNEST THIVIER.
29. v. MAY DEFOREST, b. Abt. 1923.
30. vi. CLINTON CHARLES DEFOREST, b. 15 July 1921, Central Lake, MI; d. July 1970, Grand Rapids, MI, .
19. ORRA KIP WELLINGTON DEFOREST3 D (ZIBAURTON4, LYMANUTHER2, X1) was born February 1894. He married MAE MARIE FEREE.
Children of ORRA DEFOREST and MAE FEREE are:
i. CAROLYN MAE6 DEFOREST, b. Antrim County, MI, ; m. ERNEST EVERETT, SR..
ii. LULABELLE DEFOREST, b. Antrim County, MI, .
20. MARY LUCINDA DEFOREST (ZIBA BURTON4, LYMAN3, LUTHER2, X1) was born 1904. She married GRANT4, LYMAN, LUTHER2, X1) was born 1904. She married GRANT NELSON WINTERS.
21. LAVONA DEFOREST OR MARTHA 5 LAVENA? (ZIBA BURTON4 DEFOREST , LYMAN3, LUTHER 2, X1) was born 1910. She married XY.
Generation No. 6
29. MAY6 DEFORESTCHARLES3, LUTHER1) was born Abt. 1923. She married (1) LESTER LANCASTER. She married (2) MARVIN SNYDER."mso-spacerun:yes">
Children of MAY DEFOREST and LESTER LANCASTER are:
i. EVERETT7 LANCASTER.
ii. JOYCE LANCASTER, m. ROBERT L. FLADING.
iii. SALLY ANNETTE LANCASTER, m. MIKE MILLER.
iv. LINDA JEAN LANCASTER, m. ROB REETZ.
Child of MAY DEFOREST and MARVIN SNYDER is:
v. EVERETT7 SNYDER.
30. CLINTON CHARLES DEFORESTESSE CHARLES 5, ZIBAURTON , LYMAN 3, LUTHER 1) was born15 July 1921 in Central Lake, MI, and died July 1970 in Grand Rapids, MI. He married WILMA JANE POWELL 31 August 1940 in Kewadin, MI, daughter of LAWRENCE POWELL and ETHEL HAINES.
*Wilma lives in Grand Rapids still. As of 2009, she was still alive. (13)
Children of CLINTON DEFOREST and WILMA POWELL are:
i. LAWRENCE NEIL7 DEFOREST
ii. JUANITA MARIE DEFOREST
54. iii. JESSICA CHARLENE DEFOREST
iv. DEBORAH LYNN DEFOREST
v. JOHN KEVIN DEFOREST
1. Tiffany Fugere,
2. Louann Murray
3. Melody Everett-Neddo
4. Jessica Charlene DeForest
5. Jodi, email@example.com
6. Germaine Barrett, firstname.lastname@example.org
7. Sn Zimmerman
8. Esther DeForest - the main source unless noted
9. Saginaw County Marriage Records.
10. Saginaw County Death Records
11. Elaine Rumler
12. GENDIS http://www.mdch.state.mi.us/gendisx/search.htm
13. Intelius Public Records