Elam STENSON was born in 1803 in Sawley, Derbyshire, a village in Derbyshire, notable in the history of General Baptists in the last century [ie C18].. His brother Silas was a student under Mr JARROM, at Wisbech, afterwards settling as a pastor of the church at Retford. His brother John at a later period was for many years Sunday evening preacher at
Elam when 19 years old was baptised in the river Trent, according to the happy custom of
those days. In 1832 he became pastor of the united churches of Syston and Queniborough,
but 3 years later removed to Taporley, where he remained seven years. Next he laboured at
Audlem, then at Congleton. During 1844 - 6 he had the oversight of the churches at Kirkby
and Kirkby Woodhouse, going thence to Isleham, and afterwards to the churches at Sutton St
James and Tydd St Giles, in the same district.
He settled in Nuneaton in 1852 and did good work as the first pastor for about five years.
He afterwards was the minister at Union place, Longford, for three years. When declining
strength prevented his continuance in the stated ministry, he sought to render service to
the churches as an occasional preacher...His life was one of holy trust and joyous
contentment, and in calm confidence he passed into the presence of his Saviour and Lord,
on September 15th 1885, aged 81.