Altar, St Allen Church
Photograph by Steve Beazley, © Copyright 2002 - 2008
The parish of St Allen was in the western division of the Hundred of Powder, in the deanery of Powder; it is now in the Carrick district and is situated to the north of Truro. An old parish, it was not mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1089. The parish is mainly farmland with some areas of woodland and former mine workings to the North. There are a number of small hamlets and farmsteads dotted around the parish. St Allen now comprises only a few houses.
The principal settlement in the parish is at Zelah. At the beginning of the twentieth century, it had a school, both Wesleyan and United Methodist Chapels, and a Missionary Church built in 1883. This church, because of the remoteness of St Allen, was used for evening services, especially in winter, and for weekday events such as classes of all kinds, missionary events, and other lectures. The main road - later the busy A30 - passed through Zelah until 1992, but the creation of a by-pass was too late to save the remaining Methodist Chapel and the shop. The school had long since closed, and the mission church had been disused for some years.
© Copyright Blanche Charles, 2003 - 2008
All Rights Reserved