Blackfordby Parish Page
Blackfordby St. Margaret
Parish Page

Parish Descriptions & Trade Directories
Parish & Non-Conformist Registers
Census Records & Other Lists
Local Links

Parish Descriptions & Trade Directories

White's 1863 Leicestershire & Rutland Trade Directory
BLACKFORDBY, sometimes called Blofferby, is a village, township, and chapelry, containing 627 inhabitants, and 114A. 1R. 19P. of land, two miles W.N.W. of Ashby-de-la-Zouch, and all in that parish except a small part of Boothorpe Hamlet, which is in the parish of Seale.  Philip de Belmeis, lord of the manor of Ashby (of which Blackfordby forms part), gave the chapel of Blackfordby, with sixty acres attached, to the Abbey of Lilleshull, in Shropshire.  In 1313, the abbot of Lilleshull held half a knight's fee in Blackfordby of Alan-la-Zouch.  In 1534, the curate of Blackfordby received an annual pension of 40s. from the Abbey, and a like payment is still made to the vicar of Ashby-de-la-Zouch by the Marquis of Hastings.  In 1630, William and Ralph Joyce were freeholders here.  Lady Edith Abney Hastings owns the great tithes and most of the soil, the rest of which belongs to Thomas Stokes, Esq., Mr. J.H. Joyce, and smaller proprietors.  The ancient Chapel, dedicated to St. Margaret, was taken down in 1857, and a handsome Church erected on its site by subscription and grants, at a cost of £1700.  It stands on lofty ground, which commands an extensive prospect, from Cannock Chase to Charnwood Forest, embracing in its range no less than twenty five village churches, and the spires of Lichfield Cathedral.  It is in the early English style, and consists of nave and chancel, together 85 feet in length.  The width of the former is 25 feet, and of the latter 16.  On the north side of the chancel, and separated from it by two arches, is an aisle seven feet wide, divided crosswise by a screen.  One half is used as a vestry, and the other is intended for an organ.  On the south side, and forming the principal entrance, stands a tower, surmounted by a broach spire, rising to the height of 100 feet.  Stone found on the spot was used for the greater part of the work.  All the sittings are open benches, and will accommodate 295 persons, including 90 children.  The opening services were held October 27th, 1858.  The vicar of Ashby-de-la-Zouch, or his curate, does duty here once every Sunday, alternately in the morning and afternoon.  The burial ground adjoining was enlarged in 1847, Thos. Stokes, Esq., and Miss Mary Joyce Stokes, giving land for the purpose.  The Parish Register of Births and Deaths (the custom of performing the marriage ceremony here having been long disused), commences in 1813 ; but Mr. John Hall Joyce has in his possession a document purporting to be "A perfect and true Reigester of all that have beene borne, and of all that have died, and of all that have been married in the towne of Blackfordby and Boothorpe, within the parish of Ashby-de-la-Zuch, in the county of Leicester, since the twentieth day of February, in the yeare of our God, one thousand six hundred, fiftie and three, by Nil'as Joyce."  The last entry bears date February 7, 1799.  The Wesleyan Chapel, built in 1823, and enlarged in 1860, will seat 150 persons ; and here is a National School, built in 1843.  The village feast is on the Sunday before St. James' Day.  The poor participate in the charities of Ashby, as being within that parish, and the male children of the inhabitants are entitled equally with those of Ashby to all the benefits of the Free Grammar School, including the valuable exhibitions in the gift of the trustees.  The interest of several small sums left at various times by William Joyce, Henry Cantrell, Thomas Cherribough, Richard Mugliston, Wm. Elliot, Wm. Aldridge, and Mary Linford, is expended in bread, which is distributed to the poor on St. Thomas' Day.  Mr. Chamberlain left 10s. yearly for a sermon on the 5th of November.  George Ross, of Derby, by his will, dated 12th June, 1847, left £200 to his executors, Messrs. J.H. Joyce and W. Abell, in trust to invest the same in Government stock, and apply the yearly dividends arising therefrom, at their own discretion, to the benefit of the poor of Blackfordby.  Mr. Ross died the same year ; his wife (Elizabeth Joyce), at whose request the bequest was made, was buried at Blackfordby, April 5, 1847.
POST from Ashby-de-la-Zouch, daily.  Here is a pillar letter box.

Parish & Non-Conformist Registers

Chapelry of Blackfordby, Parish of Ashby-de-la-Zouch, Chapel of St. Margaret
Phillimore's Atlas & Index of Parish Registers shows registers for the period 1653-1973 to have been deposited, presumably at the Leicestershire Record Office.  However, it also states that copies of the registers for the period 1561-1854 are held by the Society of Genealogists.  Some of the Bishop's Transcripts, held at the Joint Record Office at Lichfield, have been filmed by the LDS church, although there are numerous gaps in this record.
Bishop's Transcripts Baptisms, marriages and burials 1630-1895 LDS FHL BRITISH Film 587975

Bishop's Transcripts 1630-1895 - transcribed by Brett Payne
Surname Index A-D E-I J-P R-Y Z
Marriages 1630 - - 1701 1832 & 1833
Surname Index A-D E-I J-Q R-Y Z

Census Records & Other Lists
The LDS church has filmed the 1841-1891 Census records for Blackfordby - details are as follows:
1841 - LDS Film No 438746
1851 - LDS Film No 87710 (p. 183-201)
1861 - LDS Film No 542945
1871 - LDS Film No 839275
1881 - LDS Film No 1341748
1891 - LDS Fiche No 6097619 (RG 12/2509 - 4 fiches)

The Magic Attic at Swadlincote has the following included in their holdings:
1871 Census Index of Blackfordby

Extract from White's 1863 Leicestershire & Rutland Trade Directory
Astle Thomas, shopkeeper
Bagnall George, cashier
Baker Geo. cow leech and parish clerk
Bucknall Samuel, brewer and maltster
Ensor Henry Loader, fire brick, &c., manufacturer, Shrubbery House
Gregson Charles, tailor
Harvey Rd. baker and vict. Blue Bell
Illsley Gilbert, shopkeeper
Joyce Nicholas, archt. and surveyor
Leedham John, beerhouse
Newman James, blacksmith
Perry Capt. Wm. Fredk. Boothorpe
Spriggs Emma, schoolmistress
Taylor Wm. grocer & vict. Black Lion
Timmins Thomas, baker
Underwood John, shoemaker

FARMERS. (*Are owners).
Bacon George, Boothorpe
*Bradley Thos. (& brick, &c. mfr).
*Brown Henry, Norris Hill
Timney James
Illsley George, Boothorpe
*Joyce John Hall, The Hall
*Moore Wm. Gdfy.
*Newbold William
Wall Francis
Ward John Geo.
Wilkins John

Local Links
Blackfordby History - A brief history of Blackfordby.
Modern OS Map of Blackfordby Village - from Multimap
Modern Aerial Photograph of Blackfordby Village - also from Multimap

Back to the Top
Return to the Parish Index Page
Return to the South Derbyshire Genealogical Resource Page
This page last updated 9 April 2003 © Brett Payne