Bagshaw's 1846 TD - Chellaston

Bagshaw's 1846 Trade Directory of Derbyshire


CHELLASTON, parish and well-built improving village, 4½ miles S.E. by S. from Derby, contains 831 acres of strong rich clay land, enclosed in 1802, abounding in gypsum, 100 houses, of which 4 were unoccupied in 1841, and 461 inhabitants - of whom 241 were males, and 22 females.  Population in 1801, 205, in 1831, 352.  Rateable value, £1,252.  The Marquis of Hastings is lord of the manor and principal owner.  Sir John Harpur Crewe, Bart., Mr. Wm. Soar, Henry Horton, George Wootton, Thomas B. Domelo, Thos. Newton, Luke Pym, Rev. Joseph Sykes, and Robert Thrutchley, are also owners, and the Derby canal occupies 1A. 1R.  The church, St Peter’s, a perpetual curacy, value £104. Bishop of Carlisle patron, Rev. Joseph Deans, incumbent, for whom the Rev. Frederick O’Donoghue officiates.  It consists of a nave, chancel, south aisle, and a handsome pinnacled tower, and 3 bells. It is in the later style of English architecture.  In 1841 it was repaired, and 125 free sittings added, and a new stone tower erected, at a cost of £600, raised partly by subscription, aided by grants from the Church Building Society, and the Diocesan Society.  It was in 1819 new pewed at considerable expense, and has a Sunday school of 50 children.  Here is an alabaster monument to Ralph Bancroft, and Alice his wife.  Also one to Bawredon, minister of the church, who died in 1523, with memorials to the Whenyatts and others.  Chellaston was parcel of the rectory of Melbourne, which belonged to the bishops of Carlisle, and was for a considerable time on lease to the family of Coke, when it was enfranchised under an act of parliament, passed in 1704.  Lord Melbourne, representative of the Coke family, has sold the tithes to the several land owners.  The parish was enclosed in 1802, when land was awarded to the curate in lieu of tithes.  The Methodists have a neat brick chapel, to seat about 200, erected in 1816, for which Mr. John Warren gave the land.  Many of the inhabitants are employed here in the gypsum mines, some of which are very extensive.  George Wootton has two which occupy 20 acres of ground ; the length of each is about 15,000 feet, with a shaft of 90 feet deep.  About 1,500 tons is got annually, which is sent to all parts of the kingdom, and to the Continent in large quantities.  Here is an Odd Fellows’ lodge, and a Female Benefit society.  Village Feast, Sunday before St Peter.

CHARITY. - Mr. Herrick, it is stated in the parliamentary returns of 1786, gave a rent charge of 13s. for bread to the poor of Chellaston, then vested in Thomas Brown.  Mr. Thomas Brown Domelo is now (1826), the owner, but we cannot obtain any further information as to this charity.

Bailey Thos. shoemaker and shopkeeper
Bates George, shopkeeper
Camp Christopher, tailor
Camp John, shoemaker & parish clerk
Fearn Thomas, tailor
Forman Charles, baker
Godfrey Joseph, vict. Red Lion
Manfull Alexander, corn miller, Hill
Manfull Capt. Wm., Hill
Meakin Henry, blacksmith
Murphy Michael, foreman
O’Donoghue Rev. Frederick F. curate
Pegg Wm. beerhouse
Platts Robert and John, wheelwrights
Pym Luke, shopkeeper
Soar Mary, vict. Rose and Crown
Thorpe Wm, butcher
Thrutchley Wm. shoemaker
Warren Thomas, shopkeeper

FARMERS
Domelo Thos. Brown, and maltster
Forman Henry
Glover Robert
Land Ths. Bolton edge
Meakin Robert
Newton George
Richardson Richard
Rose Sml. & plstr. dlr.
Soar Wm.
Warren Thomas
Wootton Geo. & plster dealer


Back to Top of Page
Return to Bagshaw's 1846 Trade Directory Index Page
Return to the South Derbyshire Genealogical Resource Page
© 2000 Brett Payne