Bagshaw's 1846 TD - Chilcote

Bagshaw's 1846 Trade Directory of Derbyshire


CHILCOTE chapelry forms a detached portion of the Repton and Gresley hundred, locally situated in Leicestershire, and is part of the parish of Clifton Campville, in the North Offlow hundred of Staffordshire.  It is a well-built pleasant village, situated on a rock, 6½ miles S.W. from Ashby-de-la-Zouch, and contains 1,320 acres of fertile land occupied in dairy farms, 35 houses, and 162 inhabitants, of whom 85 were males and 77 females.  Population in 1801, 168 ; in 1831, 191 ; rateable value, £1,920.  Francis Robertson, Esq., of Brighton, is lord of the manor and sole owner, who has within a few years rebuilt the village, under the superintendance of J.B.H. Bennett, Esq., of Tutbury.  The chapel is annexed to the rectory of Clifton Campville. John Henry Pye, Esq., of Clifton, patron ; Rev. Robert Taylor, rector.  The tithes were commuted in 1843 for £258.  The chapel was repewed, and the exterior cased, in 1842, by F. Robinson, Esq., at a cost of £350.  It is a neat edifice ; the windows are beautifully ornamented with stained glass.  The Hall, which was a seat of the Milwards, and afterwards of the Clarkes, has since been taken down.  Honey Hill, a farm 1 mile S. from the village. No Manís Heath is 1½ miles S.E. from Chilcote, and 2 miles W. from Appleby.  At this place the counties of Derby, Leicester, Warwick, and Stafford meet in a point so small that, it is said, a man may be in them all at the same time.  The principal Farmers are - John Baker, Joseph Burton, Richard Faux, Robert Wright Faux, Thomas Goodall, Richard Mousley, and Richard Mousley, junr. 
Return to Bagshaw's 1846 Trade Directory Index Page
Return to the South Derbyshire Genealogical Resource Page
© 2000 Brett Payne