Coton-in-the-Elms Trade Directory Extracts
Coton-in-the-Elms
Trade Directory Extracts


Pigot's Derbyshire Directory 1821-1822

Inns, Taverns & Public Houses
Black Horse, John Smith
Queen's Head, Daniel Fearn

Shopkeepers, Traders, &c.
Atkins Wm. wheelwright
Bach John, maltster
Chapman Thos. butcher
Duroe Wm. shoemaker
Fearn Edward, blacksmith
Pearson Geo. schoolmaster
Redfern Hugh, shopkeeper
Simpkin Hanh. Shopkeeper
Simpkin Wm. blacksmith
Taylor Wm. shoemaker


Stephen Glover's Directory of the County of Derby 1827-29

COTON IN THE ELMS, a village and township in the parish of Lullington, H.[undred] of R.[epton] and G.[resley]
Lord of the Manor, the Right Hon. Robert Wilmot Horton, M.P.
Bath John, farmer
Burton Joseph, farmer
Chapman Thomas, farmer
Davis Edward, farmer
Fern Thomas, farmer, F.
Fern Thomas, jun. farmer, F,
Goodall Edward, farmer
Insley William, farmer
Mallaber William, farmer
Smith John, victualler
Whittingham William, farmer, F.
Worthington William, farmer, Coton Hall


Pigot & Co.’s National Commercial Directory of Derbyshire 1835

COTON-IN-THE-ELMS is a township, in the parish of Lullington, about a mile from that village, containing 264 inhabitants.

Daniel Mr. -, Coton park

Academies and Schools
Pearson George

Blacksmiths
Austin John

Bakers & Flour Dealers
Atkins William
Ison James

Boot and Shoe Makers
Durose William
Taylor William

Butchers
Ward Richard

Maltsters
Bach John

Saddlers and Harness Makers
Maliber John

Shopkeepers & Dealers in Groceries & Sundries
Redfern Thomas

Tailors
Maliber William

Taverns & Public Houses
Black Horse, John Smith
Queen’s Head, David Fern
Shoulder of Mutton, Frans. Leedham

Wheelwrights
Atkins William

Miscellaneous
Riley Robert, parish clerk


Pigot & Co.’s National Commercial Directory of Derbyshire 1842

Academies & Schools
Pearson George

Bakers & Flour Dealers
Redfern Thomas

Blacksmiths
Atkins William
Simkin Joseph

Boot and Shoe Maker
Fearn John

Butchers
Cooper George
Fletcher John

Plumbers, Painters and Glaziers
Gooddall Thomas

Saddlers and Harness Makers
Maliber John

Shopkeepers & Dealers in Groceries & Sundries
Redfern Thomas

Tailors
Maliber William

Taverns and Public Houses
Black Horse, John Pearson
Queen's Head, Richard Ward
Shoulder of Mutton, John Davis

Retailers of Beer
Leicester William

Wheelwrights
Atkins William

Miscellaneous
Riley Robert, parish clerk


Samuel Bagshaw's History, Gazetteer and Directory of Derbyshire 1846

COTON-IN-THE-ELMS, township and pleasant compact village, 6¼ miles S. by W. from Burton-upon-Trent, 1½ mile N.N.W. from Lullington, contains 1,163 acres of fertile land, 72 houses, and 351 inhabitants, of whom 186 were males, and 165 females.  Rateable value £1,779.  Lady Wilmot Horton is the principal owner and lady of the manor.  Charles Arkwright, Esq., Nathaniel and John Curzon, Esqs., have also estates here.  The tithe was commuted in 1841.  The rectorial belongs principally to the landowners, but £165 is payable from the vicarial to the trustees of the late Sir Roger Gresley.  A church, to be dedicated to St. Mary, is now being erected at a cost of £1,200, raised by subscription towards which Lady Horton gave £400, and Charles Arkwright and Matthew Gisborne, Esqs., were liberal contributors.  The manor house, an ancient building, is now used as a school which the lady of the manor endows with £30 per annum.  50 boys and girls attend.  In 1773, Thomas Wagstaff left £50, by which 5 poor boys are educated.

George Clarke gave, by will, in 1659, £20 to the poor of Coton.  The annual sum of £1 is paid in respect of this charity, from land called Walton Ways, belonging to Walter Bach, and is distributed soon after St Thomas’s day.

Thomas Wagstaffe, in 1773, left £25 to be placed out at interest and the proceeds distributed to the poor on St Thomas’s day.  He also gave the sum of £50 to be placed out at interest, to be applied to putting poor children of Coton to read.  The sum of £75 is in the hands of John Stratton, on bond dated 30th October, 1815, at 4 per cent interest, amounting to £3, of which £1 is distributed to the poor, with Clarke’s charity ; and £2 is paid to a schoolmaster for instructing 5 poor boys or girls of Coton.

Atkins Benjamin, wheelwright & timber mch
Dooley Jph. & Sarah, free school
Goodall Mrs Frances
Goodall Thomas, plumber and glazier
Lester Wm. brickmaker
Mallaber Wm. tailor and draper
Redfern Thomas, shopkeeper
Simpkin Joseph, blacksmith
Turner Joseph, bricklayer

Inns and Taverns
Black Horse, Wm. Lester
Queen’s Head, Joseph Allen
Shoulder of Mutton, Frances Davis

Boot & Shoe Makers
Allen Saml
Fern John
Smith James

Farmers
Bach John, sen
Bach Ths. & maltster
Coates Wm
Davis Mrs Mary
Fletcher Ths. & btcher
Hinckley Js. Overfield
Hinckley Geo
Insley James
Insley J. Church flats
Insley Wm. Cross
Leedham Mary
Mallaber Wm
Moss Thos
Simpkin Joseph


Slater's Directory of Derbyshire, 1850

About a mile from the village [Lullington] is the township of COTON-IN-THE-ELMS, where there is a new church (or chapel) dedicated to Saint Mary.

Nobility, Gentry & Clergy
Jenkyn Rev. William George Faulkner

Academies & Schools
Dooley Joseph

Bakers & Flour Dealers
Clayton John
Fletcher William
Redfern Thomas

Blacksmiths
Fletcher William

Boot & Shoe Makers
Crossley Thomas
Fern John
Smith James

Brick & Tile Makers
Lester William

Bricklayers
Turner Joseph
Turner Joseph, jun.

Butchers
Holmes Abraham

Maltsters
Bach Thomas

Millers
Hope Robert

Painters, Plumbers and Glaziers
Goodall Thomas

Shopkeepers & Dealers in Groceries & Sundries
Redfern Thomas

Tailors
Malliber William

Taverns & Public Houses
Black Horse, William Lester
Queen’s Head, Joseph Allen
Shoulder of Mutton, Abraham Holmes

Wheelwrights
Atkins Benjamin

Places of Worship
Saint Mary’s Church – Rev. William George Faulkner Jenkyn, incumbent


F. White & Co.'s Directory of Derbyshire, 1857

COTON-IN-THE-ELMS, township and pleasant compact village, 6 miles S. by W. from Burton-upon-Trent, and 1½ N.N.W. from Lullington, contains 1,163 acres of fertile land, 72 houses, and 376 inhabitants, of whom 184 were males, and 192 females ; rateable value £2,102 15s.  Lady Wilmot Horton is the principal owner and lady of the manor.  The executors of the late Charles Arkwright, Esq., John Curzon, Esq., Mrs. Sarah Bach, and Mr. Edwin Mallaber, have also estates here.  The tithe was commuted in 1841.  The rectorial belong principally to the landowners, but £165 is payable from the vicarial to the trustees of the late Sir Roger Gresley, Bart.  A Church, to be dedicated to St. Mary, was erected at a cost of £1,200, raised by subscriptions towards which Lady Horton gave £500, and the late Charles Arkwright and Thomas Matthew Gisborne, Esqrs., were liberal contributors.  The manor house, an ancient building, is now used as a school which the lady of the manor endows with £30 per annum.  60 boys and girls attend.  In 1773, Thomas Wagstaff left £50, the interest on which is paid for instructing 5 children out of the largest and poorest families of the village.  At Domesday survey this manor was held by the Abbot of Burton by the service of presenting a hound in a leash to the King whenevr he came into Derbyshire, but it soon passed into lay hands ; for in the year 1328, it was purchased by Stephens de Segrave, of the coheiresses of Stephen de Beauchamp.  Henry, Lord Berkley, a descendant of the Segraves, sold it in 1570, to Sir Wm. Gresley, Knight.

CHARITIES.
George Clarke, gave by will, in 1659, £20 to the poor of Coton.  The annual sum of £1 is paid in respect of this charity, from land called Walton Ways, belonging to Walter Bach, and is distributed soon after St Thomas’s day.
Thomas Wagstaffe, in 1773, left £25 to be placed out at interest and the proceeds distributed to the poor on St Thomas’s day.  He also gave the sum of £50 to be placed out at interest, to be applied to putting poor children of Coton to read.  The sum of £75 is in the hands of John Stratton, on bond dated 30th October, 1815, at 4 per cent interest, amounting to £3, of which £1 is distributed to the poor, with Clarke’s charity ; and £2 is paid to a schoolmaster for instructing 5 poor boys or girls of Coton.

Atkins Benjamin, wheelwright
Barnes Thomas, vict. & shopkeeper, Queen's Head
Fletcher William, blacksmith
Goodall Thomas, plumber and glazier
Holmes Abm., vict. & butcher, Shoulder of Mutton
Hope Robert, corn miller & baker
Lester Wm., vict. Black Horse
Mallaber Hannah, tailor & draper
Mallaber John, collar & harness maker
Palmer Rev. Thomas, curate
Redfern Thomas, shopkeeper
Smith James, schoolmaster
Smith Thomas, shoemaker
Stonehouse, shoemaker

Farmers
Bach Sarah
Bach Thomas, (and maltster)
Davis Mary
Emery Robert
Fletcher Thomas
Hinckley George
Hinckley Jas. Overfield
Insley Wm., Cross
Mallaber Edwin
Skermer John, Church Flats


Harrison, Harrod, and Co.'s Directory  and Gazetteer of Derbyshire, 1860

COTON-IN-THE-ELMS is a pleasant and compact village, 6 miles S. by W. from Burton-upon-Trent, and 1½ N.N.W. from Lullington.  The church is dedicated to St. Mary.  Here is a school for boys and girls.

Nobility, Gentry, Clergy, &c.
Palmer, Rev. Thomas, curate

Traders, &c.
Atkins, John Wm., wheelwright
Bach, Sarah, farmer
Bach, Thomas, farmer and maltster
Davis, Mary, farmer
Emery, Robert, farmer
Fletcher, Thomas, farmer
Fletcher, William, blacksmith
Hinckley, George, farmer
Hinckley, James, farmer
Hope, Robert, miller and baker
Holmes, Abraham, butcher, and Shoulder of Mutton
Mallaber, Edwin, farmer
Mallaber, Hannah, tailor and draper
Redfern, Sarah, shopkeeper
Skermer, John, farmer, Church Flats
Smith, James, schoolmaster


C.N. Wright's Directory of South Derbyshire, October 1874

Coton-in-the-Elms is a township and chapelry in the parish of Lullington, union of Burton-on-Trent, hundred of Repton and Gresley, 6½ miles (S. by W.) from Burton, 6 (N. by E.) from Tamworth.  It contains 1176 acres, and contained in 1871 a population of 384.  The impropriate tithes have been commuted for an annual rent charge of £230.  The church dedicate to St. Mary is a very elegant structure, in the decorated gothic style, with nave, chancel, aisle, tower, and light tapering spire.  A new organ has been recently placed in the Church.  The living is a vicarage, annual value £103, and in the gift of Sir. Rt. Wilmot Horton, Bart.

Atkins (Mrs. Elzh.) and Son (John Will) wheelwrights, letters of traps, &c
Bradley Wm. Miller
Duke Rev. Rd. (Ch. Engld) bdng school, Grafton hse
Fearn Jno. boot maker
Fletcher Wm. blacksmith
Goodall Hy. & Co. saddlers (att. Tu. & F.) h. Walton
Holmes Fdk. v. Shoulder of Mutton
Lawrence Rev. Philip Noon, curate
Radford Wm. blacksmith and v. Black Horse
Redfern Ths. baker and shopr
Smith Jas. master of national school and rate collr
Smith Mark, baker, butcher, and shopr

Farmers
Bates Mrs. Srh.
Inkley Geo.
Mallaby Edn.
Mallaby Wm.
Moore Chs. the Crosses
Skermer Mrs. My.
Smith Wm. Over field
Whittingham Jno.

ST MARY’S CHURCH.  Services – Sunday, 10.45 and 2.45.  Sacrament first Sunday in month.  Revs. J. Burdekin, M.A. (rector) and P.N. Lawrence (curate.)  Churchwardens, Messrs. W. Smith and Moore.  Organist, Mrs. Atkin.  Clerk, W. Smith.  Sexton, Jph. Holden.  Hymns, A. and M.


Kelly's Directory of Nottinghamshire, Leicestershire & Rutland, and Derbyshire, 1881

COTON-IN-THE-ELMS is a township and ecclesiastical parish, formed in 1865 from the civil parish of Lullington, in the Southern division of the county, hundred of Repton and Gresley, Burton-upon-Trent union and county court district, rural deanery of Lullington, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Lichfield, 6 miles south from Burton-upon-Trent, 3 north-west from Oakley, which is the nearest railway station, 7½ north-by-east from Tamworth and 118 from London.  The church of St. Mary is a building in the Gothic style, erected in 1846, and consisting of a nave and chancel, with a western tower and spire, containing 1 small bell : there is a stained window on the north side of the nave to the late Lady Wilmot Horton, placed there by the tenantry and parishioners of Coton as a mark of their esteem : on the south side of the nave is another memorial window to the same lady, by members of her family, presenting a likeness of herself, with a little girl, the Hon. Miss Curzon, daughter of the late Lord Zouche, and sister of the present Lord Zouche, standing at her knee : a third window on the north side of the nave is a memorial to Julia Emily, wife of the late Hon. Robert N. Curzon, subsequently Lord Zouche : there is also a marble tablet in the chancel to the Rev. Theodore Echalaz, late vicar of Lullington, dated 1858.  The register dates from the year 1846; the earlier registers are at Lullington.  The living is a vicarage, yearly value £127, in the gift of Sir George Lewis Wilmot Horton bart. and held by the Rev. James Burdekin.  There is a Wesleyan chapel.  Wagstaff and Clarke’s bequests amount to £3 8s., £2 of which is applied to the education of 5 poor children of Coton, the remainder being distributed among the poor.  Sir George L. Wilmot Horton is lord of the manor.  The principal landowners are Sir George L. Wilmot Horton, Lieut.-Colonel Milligan, Nathaniel Curzon esq. and Edwin Mallabar.  The soil is rich loam ; subsoil, clay and gravel.  The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats and roots.  The area is 1,169 acres ; rateable value, £2,632 ; the population in 1871 was 384.

Parish Clerk, John Brown.

POST & MONEY ORDER OFFICE & Savings Bank. – Mark Smith, receiver.  Letters through Burton-upon-Trent arrive at 9 a.m. ; dispatched at 4.35 p.m. on week days only.  The nearest telegraph office is at Overseal.

National School, supported by voluntary contributions ; Frederick Cottrell, master ; Mrs. Julia Cottrell, mistress.

CARRIER TO & FROM BURTON-UPON-TRENT. – William Lester, every Thursday.

Burdekin Rev. James [vicar]
Goodall Thomas

Commercial
Atkins John William, wheelwright & blacksmith
Davis William, bricklayer
Dunnicliff George, grocer
Fern John, shoe maker
Fletcher William, blacksmith
Harding John, farmer, Crosses
Holding William, blacksmith
Holmes Frederick, Shoulder of Mutton, & butcher
Mallaber Edwin, farmer & landowner
Moore Charles, farmer
Redfern Rd. Queen’s Head, & shopkpr
Skermer Miss Fanny, farmer, Church flats
Smith Mark, shopkeeper
Stanley Samuel, farmer & butcher
Whittingham John, farmer
Woolley Thomas, Black Horse


Kelly's Directory of Derbyshire, 1887

COTON-IN-THE-ELMS is a parish, formed in 1865 from the parish of Lullington, in the Southern division of the county, hundred of Repton and Gresley, Swadlincote petty sessional division, Burton-upon-Trent union and county court district, rural deanery of Lullington, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell, 6 miles south from Burton-upon-Trent, 3 north-west from Oakley, which is the nearest railway station, 7½ north-by-east from Tamworth.  The church of St. Mary is a building of grey sandstone in the Gothic style, erected in 1846, and consisting of a chancel and nave, with a western tower and spire, containing 1 small bell : there is a stained window on the north side of the nave to the late Lady Wilmot Horton, placed there about 1871 by the tenantry and parishioners of Coton as a mark of their esteem : on the south side of the nave is another memorial window to the same lady, by members of her family, presenting a likeness of herself, with a little girl, the Hon. Darea Curzon, only daughter of the late Lord Zouche, and sister of the present Lord Zouche, standing at her knee : a third window on the north-side of the nave is a memorial to Julia Emily, wife of the late Hon. Robert N. Curzon, subsequently Lord Zouche : there is also a marble tablet in the chancel to the Rev. Theodore Echalaz, late vicar of Lullington, dated 1858.  There are 246 sttings, all free.  The register dates from the year 1846 ; the earlier registers are at Lullington.  The living is a vicarage, yearly value £143, with residence, in the gift of Sir George Lewis Wilmot Horton bart. and held since 1872 by the Rev. James Burdekin.  There is a Wesleyan chapel.  Wagstaff and Clarke’s bequests amount to £3 8s., £2 of which is applied to the education of 5 poor children of Coton, the remainder being distributed among the poor.  The principal landowners are the Rev. Sir George Lewis Wilmot-Horton bart. M.A. who is lord of the manor ; Lieut.-Colonel Milligan, Nathaniel Curzon esq. and Edwin Mallabar esq.  The soil is rich loam ; subsoil, clay and gravel.  The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats and roots.  The area is 1,100 acres ; rateable value, £2,396 ; the population in 1881 was 495.

Parish Clerk, John Brown.

POST & MONEY ORDER OFFICE & Savings Bank. – Mrs. Mary Anne Smith, receiver.  Letters through Burton-upon-Trent arrive at 9 a.m. ; dispatched at 4.35 p.m. on week days only.  The nearest telegraph office is at Gresley.

National School (mixed), for 128 children, average attendance 95 ; Frederick Cottrell, master ; Mrs. Julia Cottrell, mistress.

CARRIER TO & FROM BURTON-UPON-TRENT. – Mary Wheddon, every thursday.

Burdekin Rev. James [vicar]
Goodall Thomas

Commercial
Atkins John William, wheelwright & blacksmith
Davis William, bricklayer
Fern John, shoe maker
Fletcher William, blacksmith
Holmes Frederick, Shoulder of Mutton P.H. & butcher
Mallaber Edwin, farmer & landowner
Moore Charles, farmer
Redfern Elizabeth (Mrs.) Queen’s Head P.H. & shopkeeper
Skermer Fanny (Miss), frmr. Church flats
Smith Mary Ann (Mrs.), shopkeeper, & post office
Stanley Samuel, farmer
White William, farmer
Whittingham John, farmer & auctioneer
Woodman Harry, grocer
Woolley Thomas, Black Horse P.H.


Kelly's Directory of Derbyshire, 1895

COTON-IN-THE-ELMS is a parish, formed 10 March, 1865, from the parish of Lullington, about 3 miles from Gresley station on the Burton and Leicester branch of the Midland railway, 6 south from Burton-upon-Trent, and 7½ north-by-east from Tamworth, in the Southern division of the county, hundred of Repton and Gresley, Swadlincote petty sessional division, Burton-upon-Trent union and county court district, rural deanery of Repton, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell.  The church of St. Mary, erected in 1846, is a building of grey sandstone in the Gothic style, consisting of a chancel, nave, and a western tower with spire, containing one small bell : there is a memorial window to Anne (Horton) d. 4 Feb. 1871, wife of the late Right Hon. Sor Robert Wilmot Hosrton bart. by the tenantry and parioshioners of Coton as a mark of their esteem ; on the south side of the nave is another memorial window to the same lady by members of her family, presenting a likeness of herself, with a little girl, the Hon. Darea Curzon, only daughter of the late Lord Zouche, and sister of the present Lord Zouche, standing at her knee : there is a third memorial window on Emily Julia (Wilmot-Horton), d. 11 March, 1866, wife of the late Lord Zouche : in the chancel is a marble tablet to the Rev. Theodore Echalaz, vicar of Lullington, dated 1858 : there are 246 sttings.  The register dates from the year 1846 ; the earlier registers are at Lullington.  The living is a vicarage, gross yearly value £160, net £136, with residence, in the gift of Mrs. Anson Horton, of Catton Hall, and held since 1872 by the Rev. James Burdekin.  There is a Wesleyan chapel.  Wagstaff and Clarke’s and Walton Ways bequests amount together to £3 4s. 4d. yearly, which sum is distributed among the poor.  The principal landowners are Mrs. Anson Horton, of Catton Hall, who is lady of the manor ; Lieut.-Colonel Charles Milligan, of Cauldwell Hall ; Nathaniel Charles Curzon esq. Of Lockington, and Thomas Tibbitts.  The soil is rich loam ; subsoil, clay and gravel.  The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats and roots.  The area is 1,100 acres ; rateable value, £2,288 ; the population in 1891 was 487.
Parish Clerk, John Brown.

POST & M.O.O., S.B. & Annuity & Insurance Office. – Mrs. Mary Ann Smith, sub-postmistress.  Letters through Burton-upon-Trent arrive at 9 a.m. ; dispatched at 4.35 p.m. on week days only.  The nearest telegraph office is at Linton.

National School (mixed), for 100 children, average attendance 100 ; William Heath, master ; Mrs. Heath, mistress.

Carrier to & from Burton-upon-Trent. – Mrs. Elizabeth Coxon, every thursday.

Burdekin Rev. James, Vicarage

Commercial
Atkins John William, wheelwright & blacksmith
Chadwick John, grocer
Davis William, bricklayer
Fern John, shoe maker & farmer
Hodson Henry, seedsman
Holden Arthur, beer retailer
Hollis Walter, farmer
Holmes Frederick, Shoulder of Mutton P.H. & butcher
Horton Edward, blacksmith
Mincher John, blacksmith
Moore Charles, farmer
Norbury Jas. jun. Farmer, Church flats
Showell Edward, farmer
Redfern Elizabeth (Mrs.) Queen’s Head P.H. & shopkeeper
Smith Mary Ann (Mrs.), shopkeeper & farmer, Post office
White William, farmer
Whittingham John, farmer & auctionr
Wibberley Jn. Farmer & vet. surgeon
Wileman William, Black Horse P.H.


Back to the Top
Return to the Coton-in-the-Elms Parish Page
Return to the Parish Index Page
Return to the South Derbyshire Genealogical Resource Page
© 2003 Brett Payne All Rights Reserved