Bagshaw's 1846 TD - Hartshorn

Bagshaw's 1846 Trade Directory of Derbyshire

Direct Link to Directory Entries for Hartshorn & Wooden Box 
HARTSHORN, parish and considerable village, situate on the Derby and Leicester road, 4 miles N.W. from Ashby de la Zouch, 11 miles S. by W. from Derby, contains 2,800 acres of strong fertile land, 287 houses, and 1,389 inhabitants - of whom 689 were males, and 700 females.  Population in 1801, 580, in 1831, 1,204.  Rateable value, £4,560.  The Earl of Chesterfield is lord of the manor and principal owner.  Samuel Biddulph, Hopkins Chamberlain, William Wilder, Philip Brooks, Charles Baker, and James Watts, Esqrs., are also owners.  The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is a rectory, valued in the King’s books at £3 2s. 1d., now £570.  In the patronage of the Earl of Chesterfield and others.  The Rev. William Henry Buckley is rector.  The church was rebuilt in 1735, except the chancel and tower, at a cost of £1,400, and the seats are all unappropriated and free.  The rectory is a handsome mansion, east of the church, and was rebuilt by the present incumbent in 1835.  At the enclosure in 1766, 394 acres of land were awarded in lieu of tithes.  This manor, Heorteshorne, at Domesday survey belonged to Earl Ferrars. The priory and convent at Repton had lands and a moiety of a park in Hartshorn.  In 1504, John ireland held the manor of Hartshorn Upperhall, under William Abell, and Netherhall under the Earl of Shrewsbury.  Sir William Compton died seived of it in 1528.  The Comptons were succeeded by the Cantrells.  The heiress of Cantrell married the grandfather of William Bailey Cant, Esq., who dying in 1800, bequeathed this manor and other estates to Lord erskine, (then at the bar), for his able defence of John Horne Tooke and other persons, who were tried for high treason, in 1794.  In consequence of the omission of certain legal processes, the intention of the testator was defeated, and Miss Partridge, one of the cousins and co-heiresses of Mr. Cant, carried this manor to John Murcot, Esq.  On the borders of Leicestershire was a small manor called Short Hazles, which belonged to the Royles, and was divided into severalties.  The learned and eloquent George Stanhope, D.D. dean of Canterbury, was born at Hartshorn, in March, 1661, his father the Rev. Thomas Stanhope being then rector.  The Rev. Stebbing Shaw, the historian of Staffordshire, succeeded his father in the rectory of Hartshorn.  He died in London in 1803, and was buried at Hartshorn.  Coal and iron stone abound here, but are not worked at present, and an extensive screw manufactory, which gave employment to a number of hands, has been discontinued.  Nether Hall, a handsome mansion 1 1/4 mile W. from the village, is the seat of Thomas Worthington, Esq.  Old Midway is 1½ miles W. by S.

Wooden Box, a small village partly in Ashby de la Zouch parish, 1½ miles S.S.W. from Hartshorn.  Here are several extensive earthenware manufacturers.  A petty session for the counties of Derby, Leicester, and Stafford, is held at the Potters’ Arms, every other Tuesday.

CHARITIES. - Rev. William Dethick, in 1624, bequeathed to his executors the sum of £100, or more if need be, to purchase land, tenements or rents, of the yearly value of £7, to be conveyed to the lord or owner of Newhall, in the county of Derby, and the incumbent of the parish church of Hartshorn for the time being, and to two other persons, and their heirs, in trust, to employ the rents to the uses declared in a schedule under his hand.  The property of the charity consists of a good house and about 32 acres of land in the parish of Ticknall, let for £50 per annum.  These lands were set out to the trustees of the charity about 1776, upon an inclosure in lieu of several small pieces of land dispersed in the open fields ; and the house was rebuilt by the tenant at an expense of £200, towards which he cut a few growing trees on the farm, worth about £25.  Two houses, with small gardens, in the High street of Burton-upon-trent, now let for £15 a year each.  In 1813 the school was re-built, under the management of the Rev. Francis Tunnicliffe, the rector, at a cost of nearly £170 ; it is capable of holding 60 scholars ; in order to defray this, the schoolmaster’s salary was limited to £30.  The master now receives £50 per annum salary, and £10 for the rent of a house, and £2 12s. is expended in bread to the poor.  ?0 children are admitted free, and taught reading, writing, and accounts, and provided by the master with books without any charge.

John Hazard, in 1724, gave a rent charge, then vested in Joseph Toon, for bread to the poor of this parish, paid from a farm called the Brick House, now the property of the Earl of Chesterfield : and £5 4s. is paid as the rent charge, which, with £2 12s.from Dethick’s charity, three shilling’s worth of bread is provided every Sunday, and distributed amongst poor widows.

George Stanhope, D.D., by deed in 1723, gave to five poor householders of this parish, the sum of £20, then in the hands of the rector, and producing annually £1.  Thos money came into the hands of the rev. Stebbing Shaw the younger, who died in 1802, as well as a balance of £63 10s. due from him on account of Dethick’s charity remains still unpaid, (1826.)  The yearly sum of £1 was paid as the interest thereof by the Rev. F. Tunnicliffe, his executor, under the expectation, as he states, that sufficient assets would have been found for the discharge of all his debts.  There seems to be no doubt that Mr Tunnicliffe is himself liable to make good so much of the debts due to this and Dethick’s charity, as would have been paid if the assets he received had been applied proportionably towards the payment of all debts of the same degree.

Poor’s Land. - There are two pieces of land, one of which contains 1A. 3R. and the other about 3R., and also a small garden.  These premises are supposed to have been ourchased for the benefit of the poor by the contributions of the Countess of Dorset and others, but we could not discover any documents.  In the parliamentary returns of 1786, a donation of some land is mentioned, by some person unknown, vested in the churchwardens and overseers, and two benefactions of £5 each, one of which is ascribed to the will of Samuel Coulson, 1705, the other being unknown.  The above mentioned premises are let for £4 11s. per annum, which is distributed at Midsummer and Christmas, after divine service, at the church, by the rector and parish officers.

Rev. Francis Gisborne’s Charity, (see Bradley.) - The yearly sum of £5 10s. received on account of this is distributed to the poor by the minister in cloth and flannel.

Marked 1 and 2 reside at Wooden Box, 2 are situate in Leicestershire, 3 are at old Midway.
Aminson Matthew, gentleman
1 Brunt and Bucknell, brewers
Buckley Rev. Wm. Henry, Rectory
Carver John, bookkeeper
Dimmock Mr William
Gardener Thomas, corn miller, Edge field
Glover Mary, corn miller
Hall Thomas, schoolmaster
Hassall Thos. gentleman, The Manor house
2 Holmes Richard, Butt house
Jaques Mrs Martha, Edge field
Lawton Elizabeth, schoolmistress
Morris Thomas, cabinet and chair maker
1 Nadin Elizabeth, joiner
Orme James, wheelwright
Parker John, gentleman
Parker Martha, school
Toon Joseph, linen weaver
Worthington Thomas, Esq., Nether hall
Yardley Thomas, joiner and builder

INNS AND TAVERNS
Bull’s Head, Joh Smithard
Chesterfield Arms, Elizabeth Mansfield
3 Masons’ Arms, William Mansfield
2 New Inn, Read Geo. Simpson
2 Nelson, Thomas Brunt
1 Potters’ Arms, Thomas Stanley
1 Quuen Adelaide, John Hall
Red Cow, William Betteridge
Rodney, William Evans

BEERHOUSES
1 Hallam John
Haynes Thomas
1 Sharratt Edward
1 Thompson Jph. Jun.

BLACKSMITHS
Evans James
Hudson Thos. Edgefield
Smith Daniel

BOOT & SHOEMAKERS
Fletcher William
Robinson Samuel
Smithard John
Wallis John

BRICKLAYERS
Haynes John
Haynes William

BRICKMAKER
1 Thompson Jph.

BUTCHERS
1 Betteridge John
Betteridge William
Betteridge Wm. Jun.
1 Cash George
Dakin Samuel

EARTHENWARE MANUFACTURERS
2 Brunt Thomas
1 Hall John
2 Hall Thomas
1 Harrison Thomas
2 Read Geo. Simpson
3 Sharpe Edmund
3 Sharpe Wm. Junr.
3 Staley Richard
1 Thompson Jph. Snr
1 Thompson Jph. Jnr

FARMERS
Bostock Jno. Broomy Furlong
Brown Thomas
Carver James, Hall
Dakin Samuel
Falkner Wm. Coppice
Falkner Hy. Coppice
Glover Elias, Shorthzl
Glover Jas. Stonehouse
Glover Jn. Shorthazls
Glover Mary
Hackett Robert
Lowe Wm. Buildings
Gotheridge Thomas
Mansfield Thomas
Sarjeant Wm. Henwood farm
3 Sharpe Wm.
3 Storer Wm.
Watson Jn. Hoofhay
1 Watts Wm.

GARDENERS
Cooke Thomas
Harvey Isaac, & seedsmn

MALTSTERS
1 Brunt & Bucknell
Mansfield Thomas

SHOPKEEPERS
Archer Joph. & baker
1 Cash William
Harvey Samuel
3 Staley Richard
1 Ward Mary

TAILORS
Archer Jph. & draper
Nicholas Joseph

CARRIER
John Fletcher, to Burton, Thrsdy. Derby Friday, Ashby, Sat.


Back to Top of Page
Return to Bagshaw's 1846 Trade Directory Index Page
Return to the South Derbyshire Genealogical Resource Page
© 2000 Brett Payne