Bagshaw's 1846 TD - Melbourne

Bagshaw's 1846 Trade Directory of Derbyshire

Direct Links to Directories  MELBOURNE  Academies  Bakers  Beerhouses  Blacksmiths  Boot & Shoe Makers  Butchers  Carriers  Coopers  Farmers  Gardeners & Seedsmen  Grocers, Drapers & Druggists  Hosiers  Hosiery Manufacturers  Inns & Taverns  Ironmongery & Hardware Dealers  Joiners & Builders  Nail Makers  Nursery & Seedsmen  Painters  Plumbers & Glaziers  Saddlers & Harness Makers  Shopkeepers  Surgeons  Tailors  Tallow Chandlers  Watch & Clock Makers  Wheelwrights 
KING'S NEWTON
MELBOURNE parish contains the townships of Melbourne and Kings Newton, 3,463A. 3R. 5P. of land, including 62A. of public roads and 37A. 2R. 27P. of the river Trent, 571 houses, and 2,583 inhabitants, of whom 1,191 were males, and 1,392 females.  Population in 1801, 1,861 ; in 1831, 2,301.  Rateable value, £7,029.

MELBOURNE, township and improving market town, pleasantly situated on the Derby and Ashby-de-la-Zouch road, 8 miles S.S.E. from Derby and 6 miles N.W. from Ashby, contains 2,670A. 2R. of strong fertile land, and 2,288 inhabitants.  Rateable value, 5,720 5s. 7d.  The Marquis of Hastings is lord of the manor, holds a court-leet annually ; and owns 610A. of land, including 60A. of woods and plantations.  Lord Melbourne owns 1,866A. of land, including 90A. of woods.  Sir John Harpur Crewe, Bart., Mr Thomas Hemsley, and others, are owners.  The church, St Michael’s, is a vicarage, valued in the King’s book £9 13s. 4d., now £179.  Bishop of Carlisle patron and appropriator, and the Rev. Joseph Dean, M.A., incumbent.  The church is a large venerable edifice, with nave, chancel, side aisles, a low embattled tower, and 4 bells ; has a gallery at the west end, and an organ.  Here are some ancient monuments to the Hardinge family, particularly that of Sir Robert Hardinge, Knt., who died in 1670, and of his wife, Elizabeth, daughter of Sir Richard Sprignall, of Highgate, who died in 1673, with their effigies cut on white marble slabs.  The church is open to the road on all sides, the churchyard being at some distance, in which about the year 1550 was a handsome Gothic structure, but which has long been demolished.  King John granted the church of Melbourne to Benedict de Ramsay, about 1203, and afterwards to Simon de Waltham, after whose death Walter Maclere, Bishop of Carlisle, either by grant or purchase, annexed the church with the parsonage manor to that See.  In 1229, the Bishop had the grant of a fair.  The vicarage is a neat stone house near the south side of the church, and has 72A. 22P. of glebe land.  The chantry of St Catherine was founded by William Bars, in 1379, and was a detached building near the church ; that of St Michael by Simon de Melbourne, clerk, and others, in 1400.  The chantry roll speaks also of one founded by Lee Hunte.  The Baptists have a handsome chapel, to seat about 700 persons, and a Sunday school of 180.  The Independent chapel, built in 1779 and enlarge in 1841, is a stone building with brick front and stone dressings, will seat about 270, and has a Sunday school of 120.  The Swedenborgian chapel was opened in 1825, will seat 120 persons.  The Friends’ meeting house is now used as a library room by the Mechanics’ institute.  The National Schools, which consist of a large building of two stories, were erected in 1821, through the exertions of the Rev. Mr Bagge, the curate ; when a house, in which the master of Lady Elizabeth Hastings’ school had been permitted to reside, was in part pulled down, and the present school built on the site, the remainder of the old building being fitted up for the master’s residence.  Towards the expense, which amounted to £550, the sum of £250 was given by the National school society, and nearly £100 was raised by private subscriptions and such part of the master’s salary as accrued during the progress of the building ; the rest was advanced by the Rev. Mr Bagge, and the schools were opened December, 1822.  £19 10s. is paid to this school from Lady Hastings’ charity, for which 12 boys are educated free.  Lord Melbourne gives £10 annually for the education of 12 poor boys.  A market is held on Saturday, for butter, poultry, vegetables, &c.  In 1836, a handsome post for a lamp was erected in the centre of the Market place.  The Feast is held Sunday after 11th of October, or that day when Sunday, and a statute for hiring servants on the Monday.  Here is one Odd Fellows’, two Druids’, and one Foresters’ Lodge ; 4 male, and 2 female benefit societies.  In 1841, a Mechanics’ institution was established by subscription, to which the late Joseph Strutt, Esq., gave 150 volumes of books and £5, and Lord Melbourne £10.  It has 400 volumes, 12 honorary and 100 other members.  Mr John Holland is treasurer, Mr John Clemson secretary, and Mr Thos. Ward librarian.  Here are about 150 lace machines, principally used for manufacturing silk gloves.  The manor of Melbourne was part of the ancient demesne of the crown.  Henry, Earl of Lancaster, had, in 1327, a charter for a market on Wednesdays, and a fair for 3 days at the festival of St Michael, long disused.  The castle and manor continued attached to the Earldom and Duchy of Lancaster till the year 1604, when King James granted them to Charles, Earl of Nottingham.  The Earl soon afterwards conveyed them to Henry, Earl of Huntingdon ; from whom they have descended to the present proprietor.  Melbourne castle was for many years the prison of John, Duke of Bourbon, taken at the battle of Agincourt in 1415.  Leyland, about 1550, describes it then in “meteley repair.”  A survey of the manor made in 1602, describes it as a “faire ancient castle which her Majesty keepeth in her own hands.”  The Earls of Huntingdon suffered it to go to decay.  About 50 yards of the outer wall of the castle, which enclosed an area of about 10 acres of land, still remains.  A few years ago, on it site, some floors and rooms were discovered of beautifully chiselled stone, with curious ornamented mouldings.  The Bishops of Carlisle had a palace here with a park, at which they occasionally resided.  Bishop Kirkby is recorded to have held his ordination here on account of the Border wars.  It was long held on lease under the see of Carlisle, together with the impropriate rectory.  The first of the Coke family who settled at Melbourne as lessee under the Bishop of Carlisle, was Sir John Coke, secretary of state to King Charles I.  In 1701, an agreement was made between Bishop Nicolson and Thomas Coke, Esq., that in consequence of an increase of the annual rent from £45 to £70, and of the vicar’s stipend from £20 to £35, the fee should be vested in perpetuity in Mr Coke, his heirs and assigns.  This agreement was confirmed by an act of parliament in 1704.  The sister and heiress of George Lewis Coke, Esq., who died in 1750, brought Melbourne Hall and the parsonage manor to Sir Matthew Lamb, Bart.  Sir Penistone Lamb, Bart., his son, was created an Irish peer, by the title of Lord Melbourne, in 1770, and in 1780 he was advanced to the dignity of a Viscount.  The palace was taken down about 1830, when many ancient reliques, coins, earthen vessels, &c., were found.  It was a large building with pointed gables, and the park had long been converted into tillage.  The Hall, situated near the church, is a large modern stone mansion, commanding some fine views, having in front a sheet of water covering 28 acres.  In the gardens and shrubberies, which are extensive, is a walk of yew trees supposed to be several centuries old.  This beautiful mansion is the seat of the Right Honourable William, Viscount Lord Melbourne.

KINGS NEWTON township and village, pleasantly situated on the declivity of a hill, 1 mile N. from Melbourne, 7 miles S.S.E. from Derby, contains 793A. 1R. 4P. of land, 59 houses, and 205 inhabitants.  Rateable value, £1,308 15s. 5d.  Marquis of Hastings is a small owner and lord of the manor, which was granted in 1322, with that of Melbourne, to Sir Robert Holand.  Lord Melbourne owns 542 acres.  Mr George Sims, Mr. Joseph Earp, Rev. W. Cantrell, and others, are small owners.  The Hall, an ancient mansion in the Elizabethan style, was erected by one of the Hardinges, and was for many generations the residence of that family.  It is now the property of Lord Melbourne, and the seat of George Vaudeleur, Esq.  King Charles II. was entertained here by Sir Robert Hardinge, Knt., when, after his Majesty’s departure, some writing was discovered on a pane of stained glass, and signed Carlos Newton Regis, hence the name Newton Regis.  Holy Well, a spring formerly much in repute, over which a stone arch was constructed in 1660, with an inscription in latin upon it.  In the 16th century, here was a weekly market and a yearly fair.  A wooden cross, which was curiously carved, was taken down about 1780, and a lime tree planted on its site by Mr Thomas Scott, which is very thriving.  Near this place, a golden spur was found some years ago.  The manor house was situated near the Trent, of which there are no remains ; its site is called the Hall Close.

CHARITIES. - Melbourne School. - Lady Elizabeth Hastings, by indenture, 1738, among many other charities principally in the county of York, appointed the yearly sum of £10 to a charity school in this parish, to be paid to the vicar there ; and a provision for enabling the vicars of Ledsham, Thorpe Arch, and Cottingham, in the county of York, to advance the sums to each as the rents increased.  In pursuance of this power, this school now receives £19 10s.

Henry Greene, in 1679, charged all his estates with the payment of four green waistcoats lined with green galloon lace, to be delivered to 4 poor women on or before 21st December, yearly.  The premises now belong to Lord Viscount Melbourne, and in lieu of the 4 waistcoats, which have not been provided for many years, the yearly sum of £2 is disposed of, part in clothing and part in bread.

Thomas Gray, in 1691, directed his executors to lay out £200 in the purchase of lands, out of the rents or profits thereof six nobles to be given yearly, to buy six waistcoats of grey cloth adges with blue gallon lace, and 40s. to buy 3 coats of grey cloth to be faced with baize or some other blue stuff ; 4 waistcoats to be given yearly 4 poor widows of Castle Donington, and the other to poor widows of Melbourne, and the coats to be given to 2 men of each of the said places.  He directed copies of his will should be entered in the town’s books of the said parishes and hung up in the churches, and should be read yearly on St Thomas’s day or the following Sunday, after prayers ; for the performance of which, he directed the ministers should have 5s. a-piece ; and also that 15 dozen of bread should be given to the poor of Castle Donington, and 10 dozen to the poor of Melbourne yearly, on St Andrew’s day ; and he further directed, that whatever surplus should remain of the rents and profits of the said premises should be distributed, two parts thereof for apprenticing poor children of Castle Donington, and the third part to the poor children of Melbourne.  The yearly sum of £10 15s. 4d. is transmitted to Melbourne, as the proportion due ; of this, 5s. is paid to the minister for reading the will.  The sum of £1 6s. 8d., together with £1 10s. part of Greene’s charity above-mentioned, is applied towards purchasing 3 coats and 3 gowns for poor men and women who are nominated at a vestry.  10s., with 10s. of Greene’s charity, laid out in the purchase of sixpenny loaves, and given away about Christmas ; and with the residue of the rent apprentices are placed out, with premiums varying from £5 to £10.  In August, 1826, there was a balance in hand of £48 10s. 5d.

MELBOURNE.
Marked 1 reside in Blanch Croft, 2 Castle Street, 3 Chapel Street, 4 Church Side, 5 Church Street, 6 Derby Road, 7 High Street, 8 Market Place, 9 New Yard, 10 New York, 11 Pen Lane, 12 Potter Street, 13 Russell Street, 14 Shaw Field, 15 Shaw House, 16 Woodhouse.

Right Hon. Lord Viscount Melbourne, Hall
7 Adams Geo. parish clerk
12 Allen Mary, confectioner
12 Bailey Wm. hair dresser
2 Best Mrs Sarah
4 Bowman Joseph, gamekeeper
12 Cantrell Samuel, bazaar keeper
5 Carr Mrs Alice, spirit vaults
12 Chambers Miss Frances
12 Coxon James, stationer, &c.
4 Deans Rev. Joseph, M.A. vicar
5 Draper George, veterinary surgeon
6 Dunnicliffe Wm. gent
3 Earl George, horsebreaker and clipper
6 Earp Mr Edward
4 Earp Mrs Mary
4 Earp John, maltster and woolstapler
7 Earp Mr Samuel
6 Elverson Joseph, hat manufacturer
5 Fox Francis Frederick, land agent
6 Gregory Mr. Thomas
2 Gutteridge Mr John
5 Hays Mary, earthenware dealer
12 Hays Edward, dyer
2 Haywood Miss Jane
7 Heap Mr. John
12 Heathcote Jane, milliner &c.
Hodgkinson George, corn miller, Poolhouse
5 Holt Mrs Ann, housekeeper, Hall
7 Livesey Robert, tinman and brazier
5 Marples Samuel, stone mason and builder
5 Mason Rev. William, Swedenborgian
Peat James, bricklayer
5 Pollingdine Samuel, butler, hall
6 Scott Mr Joseph
Smith Joseph, excise officer
6 Sylvester William, warp lace maker
8 Tagg Mr John
1 Tagg Mr. Joseph
10 Tetley Joseph Buckyard, manager
2 Thacker Mrs Elizabeth
7 Timms Mr. Thomas
9 Tivey Henry, rate collector
10 Ward John, huckster
Warren William Brickyard, Bog lane

INNS & TAVERNS
12 Bull’s Head, Thomas Briers
12 King’s Head, John Goodwin
7 Lamb, Charles Dunnicliffe
Melbourne Arms, Thomas Brooks, Common
12 New Inn, Ann Warren
7 Plough, John Hull
12 Roe Buck, Joseph Brookes
14 Sir Francis Burdett, Thomas Bucks
12 Three Tuns, Edward Simpson
5 White Lion, Benjamin Deaville
2 White Swan, Elizabeth Baldry

BEERHOUSES
10 Barber Thomas
8 Lallman Augustine [sic. should read Dallman]
2 Hatton John
2 Houghton John
5 Orme Richard
7 Tailor Thomas
9 Tivey Sidney

ACADEMIES
12 Green Jn. & shoemk
11 National, Wm. & Eliz. Moore
2 Pasteur Miss Eliz. bdng. & day, Castle Cottage
7 Twells Hanh. infnts
2 Wheldel Lucy, infts
6 Wood Jno. Henry

BAKERS
7 Adcock John
12 Adcock Step. Sen.
2 Cartwright Joseph
8 Dallman Hugh
6 Pegg Wm. & cement & plaster dealer
7 Statham Isaac

BLACKSMITHS
5 Hulse James
6 Kirkman Joseph
7 Shepherd Wm.

BOOT & SHOE MAKERS
10 Barber Thomas
10 Bowman Charles
7 Collyer Joseph
13 Collyer Thomas
7 Dunnicliffe Fras.
12 Green John
2 Hatton John
8 Jefferson Jph. whs.
7 Munday John
2 Newton Hiram
12 Orange Joseph
2 Thompson Joseph
7 Wood John

BUTCHERS
8 Dallman Augustine & beerhouse
8 Dallman John
7 Dunnicliffe Chas.
7 Hollingworth Rlnd.
12 Sutton Thomas, & shopkeeper
7 Taylor George
2 Toone James
1 Toone Thomas
7 Toone Thos. Jun.

COOPERS
2 Morris Francis
5 Whitehead George

FARMERS
11 Bailey John
Bauton Wm. Fox, common
2 Dunnicliffe Thos.
16 Gregory John
Hasard Joseph, Lodge hill
2 Haywood Ths. Castl
2 Hemsley Thomas
11 Hollingworth Ths.
15 Robinson Samuel
Taft Eliz. Coppice Nk.
Tomlinson Sml. Field
12 Warren Samuel
16 Warren Wm.

GARDENERS & SEEDSM
12 Jackson Joseph
2 Pass Wm.
12 Salisbury Edward

GROCERS, DRAPERS &C.
Marked * are Drapers  + Druggists also
7+ Earp John
9* Hyde Benj. & Ths.
12+ Pass Thos.
8 Scot, Mathias
2* Smith Thos.
8* Ward John

HOSIERS
12 Clemson John
5 Kincey Geo. & Ths. & wool combers
12 Pass Thos.

HOSIERY MANUFTRS. SILK GLOVES, &C.
1 Elliott John
2 Haines Thos.
11 Haines Wm
2 Hemsley Thos.
7 Hollingworth Jas.

IRONMONGERY AND HARDWARE DEALERS.
7 Earp John
12 Hall Wm. & patten manufacturer
8 Jefferson Joseph

JOINERS & BUILDERS
2 Mason Thos.
6 Widdowson Thos.

NAIL MAKERS
5 Bartram Wm.
7 Crookes Joseph

NURSERY & SEEDSMEN
11 Bailey John
14 Duck Thos.
2 Earp Wm.

PAINTERS
3 Bagnall Samuel and engraver and paper hanger
7 Bates John
2 Whyman John

PLUMBERS & GLAZRS.
7 Brown George
5 Muggleston Thos.

SADDLERS AND HARNESS MAKERS.
8 Marson Thomas
13 Peat Robert

SHOPKEEPERS.
12 Adcock Step. Jun.
9 Clayton George
7 Dunnicliffe Fras.
2 Earp Wm.
1 Elliott John
1 Pitt Wm
10 Pulsford Anthony
8 Snow Richard
12 Sutton Thomas
2 Ward Henry
13 Warren Thomas

SURGEONS
5 Dolman Edwin
5 Dolman James
3 Tasker Rd. Thos.

TAILORS
7 Earp John
7 Dunnicliffe, Jph
8 Grice Edward
7 Smedley John
7 Smith Francis

TALLOW CHANDLERS
5 Haywood Wm.
8 Scott Mathias

WATCH AND CLOCK MAKERS
12 Bradford Samuel
3 Childs Wm.

WHEELWRIGHTS
6 Dunnicliffe John
7 Hull John
Tomlinson Thomas, Common
2 Ward George

CARRIERS
To Derby
8 Jph. Earp, daily
7 Richd. Ward, Monday & Wednesday
To Loughboro’,
7 Richd. Ward, Saty.

KING’S NEWTON.
Bircher George, blacksmith
Briggs John Joseph, farmer
Cantrell Mrs Elizabeth
Dexter Mrs Hannah
Greaves Miss Susanna
Holt Elizabeth, baker
Ince Mary, beerhouse
Pass Samuel, stone cutter
Piddock Mrs Mary
Ratcliffe Jph. vict. Pack Horse, and gardener
Taft Dorothy, shopkeeper
Taft Thomas, wheelwright
Taylor Wm. gent
Vaudeleur George, Esq. The hall

FARMERS
Briggs John, and maltster
Earp Joseph
Newbold James
Orton Henry, and maltster
Scott Joseph
Sims George, Fields

Back to Top of Page
Return to Bagshaw's 1846 Trade Directory Index Page
Return to the South Derbyshire Genealogical Resource Page
© 2000 Brett Payne