Bagshaw's 1846 TD - Newton Solney

Bagshaw's 1846 Trade Directory of Derbyshire


NEWTON SOLNEY, parish and pleasant well-built village, 3 miles N.E. from Burton-upon-Trent, and 9 miles S.W. from Derby, contains 1,401 acres of rich strong land, 73 houses, and 311 inhabitants, of whom 143 were males and 168 females.  Population in 1801, 181 ; in 1831, 338 ; rateable value £3,090 7s.  Sir Henry Every, Bart., is lord of the manor and small owner, and has the fishery.  The earl of Chesterfield is principal owner, and has 120A., of woods and plantations.  Mrs Thomas Higgott, Thomas Alsop, William Morley, William Wayte, William Dicken, Mrs Somers, and Thomas Pearsallís executors, are owners also.  The church, St Mary, a perpetual curacy, valued at £20, was appropriated to Repton Priory.  Sir Henry Every is patron and impropriator, who pays a modus 4s. 10½d. to the church, and £30 to the perpetual curate, the Rev. John Hare, B.A.  The church has a nave, chancel, side aisles, a low tower and short spire, and gallery at the west end.  Here is a neat tablet to Abraham Hoskins, Esq., who died 13th March 1841, aged 83, also a handsome monument to Sir Henry Every of Egginton, who died 1st September 1709, and in a recess is a figure in a coat of mail.  The Castle, a handsome castellated mansion on a lofty eminence commanding extensive views, ½ mile W. from the village, was erected by Abraham Hoskins, Esq., now the property of the Earl of Chesterfield, and seat of George M. Kettle, Esq.  The Park, a large handsome mansion, situated near the west end of the village, having a fine view of the Trent.  The Mount, a neat pleasant house on a rising ground, amidst shrubberies and plantations, 1 mile E. from the village, is the property and residence of Mr Thomas Alsop.  The Rock House, a neat residence on the north bank of the Trent, and near to which the river Dove has its confluence with the Trent.  Hargate, a pasture containing about 60A., on which the poor have the liberty of grazing a cow on payment of a small stipend.  The manor was held at an early period, under the Earls of Chester, by the ancient equestrian family of Solney, whose co-heiress married Sir Nicholas Longford and Sir Thomas Strafford, and was inhabited by the Longfords, of whom it was purchased by the Leighs about the reign of Henry VIII.  The heiress of Leigh brought it to the Every family.  About 1795, Abraham Hoskins, Esq., purchased the principal landed estates.  Feast, first Sunday after September 19.

Adams John, parish clerk
Alsop Thomas, Esq., The Mount
Eyre James, wheelwright
Greatorex Mis Elizabeth
Kettle George Mackenzie, Esq., The Castle
Ordish Harriett, School
Ratcliff John, blacksmith
Shepherd Joseph, beerhouse and baker
Shepherd Wm. beerhouse
Smithard Wm. vict. Unicorn, and shoemaker
Stokes Thomas, joiner
Wilders Mr Thomas, The cottage
Wilson Wm. Taylor
Wolf Mr Samuel
Worthington, Wm. Esq. The Park
Yates Captain Richard, Rock house

FARMERS
Hellaby Charles
Higgott Thos. gent
Marbrow John, and brickmaker
Morley Wm
Smedley Edward
Thompson James
Wayte Wm

SHOPKEEPERS
Bull Sml. & shoemkr
Goodall Wm
Ordish Joanna
Staley Frs. & butcher

CARRIER
Adams Ann, to Burton on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday

Back to Top of Page
Return to Bagshaw's 1846 Trade Directory Index Page
Return to the South Derbyshire Genealogical Resource Page
© 2000 Brett Payne