Bagshaw's 1846 TD - Normanton

Bagshaw's 1846 Trade Directory of Derbyshire


NORMANTON, parish and indifferent built village, 2 miles S. from Derby, contains 1,362 acres of strong red marl land, 63 houses, and 309 inhabitants, of whom 165 were males and 144 females.  Population in 1801 was 314 ; in 1831, 295 ; rateable value £2,837.  The Marquis of Hastings is lord of the manor and small owner.  Messrs C.W. and Francis Wright, Esqrs., are the principal owners, and have an allotment on Sinfin Moor.  John Goodale, Esq., and Sir John Harpur Crewe, Bart., are owners.  The Etwall and Repton corporation have 32A. 26P., and the Birmingham and Derby railway occupies 20A. 2R. 18P., valued at £704 10s. 0½d.  The church, a perpetual curacy, annexed to the vicarage of St Peter, Derby.  The Messrs Wrights, and the psrishioners of St Peterís Derby, are alternate patrons, and the Rev. Charles Wright, incumbent.  The church is an ancient edifice, with nave, chancel, low tower, and short spire, and was beautified in 1719.  Here is 12A. 3R. 11P. of glebe, with 2A. 30P. allotted on Sinfin Moor, with a rent-charge of £11 for bay tithe, on land which does not belong to the Messrs Wrights.  The Independents have a small chapel, erected 1844 ; and the Primitive Methodists have one much older.  This manor, granted to the monks of Derby in the year 1234, was given by King Henry VIII., in 1544, to Rowland Babington, Esq.  It was purchased from the Babingtons by Henry Beaumont, Esq., in 1582, from whose family it passed to the Dixies.  The ancient seat of the families was a ruin in 1712.

CHARITY. - Babingtonís Charity, (see St Peterís, Derby.)  20s. per annum is paid from a farm at Normanton, and given to the poor of this parish.

Beckitt Raynor, beerhouse
Budworth Godfrey, school
Challener Wm. colour manufr. & Derby
Dugmore James, collector Wind Mill Field gate
George John, draper, and Derby
Goodale John, solicitor, and Derby
Hunt Wm. wheelwright
Lane Mrs Sarah
Lowe Samuel, draper, Stone house, & Derby
Redfearn Philip, butcher
Reeves Mr John
Taberer John, parish clerk
Tew John, blacksmith

FARMER
Bancroft Gilb. Sinfin
Edge Benjamin
Edge George
Eyre Mis Mary
Ford Mrs Mary
Greatorex John
Peach John
Pegg John, Field
Radford Richard
Radford Rt. Cottons
Stevenson Thomas

Back to Top of Page
Return to Bagshaw's 1846 Trade Directory Index Page
Return to the South Derbyshire Genealogical Resource Page
© 2000 Brett Payne