Bagshaw's 1846 TD - Ravenstone

Bagshaw's 1846 Trade Directory of Derbyshire


RAVENSTONE parish and well-built pleasant village 4 miles S.E. from Ashby, partly in West Goscote Hundred, Leicestershire, is returned as containing 1,130A. of rich land, principally occupied as dairy farms, of which 580 are in Derbyshire, completely surrounded by Leicestershire, and 550 in the latter county, 41 houses in Derbyshire and 49 houses in Leicestershire, 394 inhabitants, of whom 176 were in Derbyshire and 218 in Leicestershire.  Rateable value of the whole, £2,432.  Of the county rate, one part is paid to Derby, and two parts to Leicester.  Leonard Fosbrook Esq., lord of the manor and principal owner ; Robert Green Cresswell, Esq., also an owner.  The church, St Michaelís, is a rectory valued in the Kingís book £5 1s. 1½d., now £306.  Crown, patron ; Rev. Giles Prickett, M.A., rector.  The church, an ancient structure, with nave chancel, side aisle, tower and 3 bells, was thoroughly repaired in 1838.  The rectory is a neat residence west of the church.  The open fields were inclosed in 1770, when 164A. including ancient glebe land were awarded in lieu of the tithe.  The Methodist chapel, erected in 1838, a neat brick building, cost £150, is in Leicestershire.  A national school here has about 45 scholars.  The Hall, at the west end of the village, is a handsome mansion which has of late been much improved, the seat of Leonard Fosbrook, Esq.  John Wilkins, Esq., who was possessed of this estate beforethe year 1689, built a noble mansion, which after his death was sold with the manor to Roger Cave, Esq., after whose death it was purchased by an ancestor of Mr Fosbrook, who pulled down the large house and erected a smaller for his own residence.  An hospital for 30 aged women was built and endowed by John Wilkins, Esq., and Rebecca his wife, in 1712, to have three able-bodied women as nurses ; since which, 2 more houses have been provided for the nurses.  The women are to be of the parishes of Ravenstone, Swanington and Cole Orton, or, in default of proper objects, of other neighbouring parishes, to be 50 years of age at the least, unless blind or impotent, of good fame, and members of the church of England.  Mrs Wilkins, by her will, endowed it after the death of her husband with all her lands in Thorpe-Ernald, Higham, and Sutton-Cheney in Leicestershire, and states that the foundation was in memory of her son, Francis Wollaston Wilkins, who died in 1711.  The endowment consists of about 800 acres of land, producing an annual income of £940.  Each of the inmates now receives 4s. 6d. per week, besides a liberal allowance of coal and clothing.  There is a master or chaplain who has a salary of £60 per annum.  The present chapel and house for the master were built in 1784 from the accumulated funds of the charity.  It is in Derbyshire.

Marked * are in Leicestershire
Bradshaw Sarah, vict. Plough, & blacksmith
*Creswell Richard Edward, Esq
Creswell Robert Green, Esq
*Creswell Wm. gentleman, Long lane
Fosbrook Leonard, Esq., The Hall
Harrison John, tailor
*Hatchett Mrs Mary
*Heward Samuel, joiner
Hunt Thomas, brickmaker
*Jervis John, gentleman
*Johnson German Brooks, bricklayer
Lomas George, schoolmaster
Prickett Rev. Giles, A.M., rector
Rose Frederick, rope & twine maker
*Rose Robert, oil cloth maker
*Thomas Mrs Elizabeth
Webb Rev. Joseph, hospital chaplain

BOOT & SHOE MAKERS
*Deacon Joseph
*Price Thomas

FARMERS
*Clarke Joseph
*Danks Richard
*Hatchett James
Hunt John, & maltstr
*Moseley George, Hoo Ash
Tebbett Jph. & miller
Turner George
*Wood Wm

SHOPKEEPERS
Hallam Wm
Rose Frederick

SURGEONS
Hely John Joseph
*Wellings Richard

Back to Top of Page
Return to Bagshaw's 1846 Trade Directory Index Page
Return to the South Derbyshire Genealogical Resource Page
© 2000 Brett Payne