Bagshaw's 1846 TD - Repton

Bagshaw's 1846 Trade Directory of Derbyshire

Direct Links to Directories  Academies  Bakers  Basket Makers  Beerhouses  Blacksmiths  Boot & Shoe Makers  Butchers  Clog & Patten Makers  Corn Millers  Farmers  Gardeners & Seedsmen  Grocers & Drapers  Inns & Taverns  Joiners & Wheelwrights  Painters  Plumbers & Glaziers  Saddlers  Shopkeepers  Surgeons  Tailors  Carrier 
REPTON parish contains the townships of Repton and Bretby, which is now considered a parish, 4,918 ares of land, 2,241 inhabitants.  Population in 1801, was 1,434, in 1831, 2,083.  Rateable value, £9,257.

REPTON, township and considerable village, in which there are some very neat houses, 4½ miles N.E. from Burton-upon-Trent, and 7½ miles S.S.W. from Derby, contains 2,649 acres of strong clay land, which was enclosed in 1766, 378 houses, and 1,943 inhabitants - of whom 977 were males, and 966 females.  Rateable value, £6,294.  Sir Robert Burdett and Sir John Harpur Crewe, Bart., are joint lords of the manor and principal owners.  Mr Francis Holbrook, executors of Thomas Pearsall, and those of Lady Gilbert, Mr Thomas Higgott, and Rev. J.T. Smith, are also owners.  3A. 2R. 10P. of land, let for £10 10s., belongs to, and is let for the reparation of the church, dedicated to St Wyston, which is a perpetual curacy, certified at £123, and has been endowed with £200 Queen Anne’s bounty.  Sir John Harpur Crewe, Bart., is patron, and Rev. Joseph Jones, M.A. incumbent.  The church is a venerable structure, with nave, chancel, side aisles and tower, surmounted by a handsome spire 210 feet high.  It was repewed in 1795, and galleries on the south side and west end were erected in 1842, and an organ added in 1844, at a cost of £320.  The crypt beneath the chancel is perhaps the most perfect specimen existing in the Anglo-Saxon style.  It is supported by 4 pillars of singular character, with a spiral band or moulding round each, and was entered from the church by means of two winding passages.  It doubtless formed a part of the conventual church, destroyed by the Danes.  The church contains many ancient monuments to the masters of Etwall hospital and Repton grammar school.  The school is a large stone building covered with flat tiles.  The scholars on the foundation are reduced to 8 poor scholars, who are appointed by the governors in rotation ; 4 of which receive £40 per annum for their board and education, and the other 4 have £45 each for the same purpose.  The head master’s salary is £360 ; first usher, £180 ; second usher, £150 per annum.  There are two exhibitions of £50 per annum to either university.  The mansion in which the head master resides belongs to Sir R. Burdett, Bart.  (For particulars of this charity see Sir John Port’s charity, Etwall.)  The church school-room, erected in 1833, for which Sir George Crewe, Bart., gave the land, was defrayed by subscription.  It was enlarged in 1844, and is a neat ornamental building.  A Sunday school of about 90 boys and 70 girls attend.  The Independent chapel was built in 1836, at a cost of £460, and enlarged in 1839, at a cost of £177, and will seat 400 persons.  A house and garden for the minister cost £476 ; and in 1845 a school-room was added at a cost of £200, in which a British and Sunday school are kept ; about 80 children attend.  The Methodists have a neat brick chapel, erected in 1815, to seat about 200 persons.  In the village is an ancient stone cross, approached by 8 steps. It has a plain round shaft with a ball on the top, and formerly had a market, long disused, but fairs are held on the third Monday in April and on the third Monday in November, and a statute for hiring servants on Tuesday before Old Michaelmas Day.  A troop of yeomanry cavalry was raised here in 1843, under the command of C.R. Colville, Esq., M.P.  George Vaudeleur, Esq., King’s Newton, 1st lieutenant ; --- Cave, Esq., Stretton-en-le-Fields, 2nd lieutenant ; John Hardcastle Mousley, Esq., Derby, cornet ; and Mr Joseph Hasard, of Melbourne, quarter-master.  Here is a Freemason, and 2 Odd Fellows’ lodges, and 3 benefit societies.

DANIEL HAY, a large farm in the Southwood division, 6 miles S.E. from Repton, contains about 260 acres of land, the property of Sir J.H. Crewe, Bart.

MILTON, a hamlet and small well-built village, 1 mile S.E. from Repton, contains 1,321A. 2R. 9P. of land.  Rateable value, £1779 5s. 3d.  In 1821 an exchange was made between Sir Francis Burdett and Sir George Crewe ; Sir George giving his portion of the hamlet in exchange for Sir Francis’s portion of Southwood hamlet and the Hays of 65A. 3R. 9P. in Repton. SKADOWS, a district of 4 cottages, belongs Sir J.H. Crewe, Bart. SOUTHWOOD, in Repton, a hamlet of scattered farms and cottages, 5¾ miles S.E. from Repton.  TICKNALL in Repton adjoins the lower extremity of Ticknall.  Here are some extensive lime works, and a brick yard.  REPTON, anciently called Repington, is supposed to have been the Roman station Repandunum.  Under the Saxon dominion it was called Repandum, and was the capital of the kingdom of Mercia.  Before the year 660, here was a nunnery, in which Ethelbald and others, of the Mercian kings, were interred.  A priory of black canons removed hither in 1172 from Calk.

Repton Free School. - Sir John Port, Knt., in 1556, devised certain lands to Sir Thomas Gifford, Knt., and four others, his executors, for the foundation of an almshouse at Etwall, and a grammar school at Etwall or Repton.  (see Etwall.)

Thomas Whitehead, second master of the free school at Repton, in 1654 devised the Ferry Acres to his executors, and directed them to permit the head master of Repton school for the time being, to hold and take the rents and profits of the said meadow, under the yearly rent of 30s., payable at Michaelmas and Lady-day, to be distributed to 30 poor people of Repton.  The land, consisting of 4 acres on the Trent, is held by the head master, and the rent, 30s., is regularly distributed by him to 30 poor persons.

Ralph Hough, citizen of London, by will, gave £100 to the inhabitants of Repton, for raising a rent-charge of £5 for the poor of the said place.  In 1657, two closes, containing 2A., called the Further Hough Woods, or Nun Irons, situated in Oslaston, in the parish of Sutton-on-the-Hill, were conveyed on trust, and £5 yearly is paid by the tenant, which is given to the poor.

William Gilbert, in 1706, gave lands at Repton, upon trust, yearly, at Christmas and Easter, to distribute the profits to the poor of Repton who should be at church, not exceeding 12.  In lieu of the land devised, the commissioners for the Repton inclosure, by their award, dated 11th May 1796, allotted a parcel of land in the “Good Field,” containing 2A. 0R. 8P., to Thomas Gilbert, as trustee for the parish of Repton.  The land forms a part of a close called the Upper Newton Brook close, which, in August 1826, was in the occupation of Geo. Gilbert, who, in respect thereof, paid 12s. on Christmas day and 12s. on Trinity Sunday, which he distributed to 12 poor widows.  It appears the whole rents were given to the poor.  We apprehend that there is no doubt that a fair rent ought to be paid by the occupier for their benefit.  Since our enquiry took place, Mr Gilbert has agreed to take the land at £5 per annum.  It is to be observed he is bound to make a fence between his own property and the land belonging to the charity, when required to do so.

William Hunt, in 1736, bequeathed to the vicar and churchwardens of Repton the sum of £20, the interest to be distributed by them to eight of the poorest pensioners.  The above sum is in the hand of Richard Somers, victualler, originally placed in his father’s hands at 4½ per cent.  The yearly sum of 18s. is paid to the vicar, and distributed to the poor.

Richard Comings, of Cambridge, deposited £70 with Robert Wedd, to be by him invested in the purchase of £100 three per cent. consols, upon trust.  By indenture dated 22nd July 1801, the sum of £60, part of the said £70, was invested in the purchase of £100 three per cent. consols, in the name of the vicar of Repton and churchwardens, on trust, to expend the dividends annually in bread, and distribute it on the day before Christmas day.  The dividends are distributed through Mr Whiston, a solicitor of Derby, and laid out according to the donor’s intention.

Mary and Dorothy Burdett’s Charities, (see Foremark.)

Church Lands. - By the award of the commissioners for inclosing the open fields in Repton, 3A. 1R. 21P. on Repton Marsh was set out to the churchwardens, and is now let for £12 per annum, and expended in the repairs of the church.

Those marked 1 reside at Cannon Meadow, 2 Daniel Hay, 3 Loscoe, 4 Milton, 5 Park,
6 Southwood, 7 near Ticknall, 8 Waste
Ault Rev. Horatia, Independent minister
Bailey Miss Mary
Bladon Wm. coal dealer
Bradbury Mrs Ann
Brown John, wood turner and brush maker
Butler Mr Daniel
Collins Mr John
7 Cope Thomas, brick maker and lime burner
Copestake Mr Thomas
Crewe Chas. Harpur, Esq. Norbury Hays
Crewe Edmund Lewis, Esq. Park House
Dawson Mrs Catherine
Drewe Robert, stationer and druggist
6 Fairbrother Abraham, gamekeeper
Hanson Mr Samuel
Hare Rev. John, A.B.
Holbrooke Francis, tanner
Holbrooke Misses Mary, Elizabeth, & Rebecca
7 Hutchinson Mr John
Jones, Rev. Jph. M.A. perp. curate, Parsonage
Lang Andrew, excise officer
Lawe Miss Ann
Maddocks Charles Pearson, sawyer
Marples Mrs Ellen, Ridgeways
Marshall Sarah, milliner
Messiter Rev. George M. A.M. assist. Master
Morris Thomas, cooper
Muggleston Geo. senr. inspector of weights and measures, Repton and Gresley hundred
Owen Mr Wm
Parker Benjamin, tinman and brazier
Parker Wm. ironmonger
Parr Miss
Peile Rev. T.W., D.D. head mr. Repton school
Redgate John, hairdresser
Smedley Gervase, registrar births & deaths, Repton district
Smith Rev. John, Tetley
Smith Mr Thomas
Somers Joseph, bricklayer and maltster
4 Somers Wm. rate collector
Stoddart Rev. Wm. M.A.
Swindell John Rose, Esq. Villa
Sykes John Henry, mathematician
Tabberer Mrs Mary
Thorpe Mr John
Ward Mary, glass and earthenware dealer
Ward Mrs Sarah
Wayte Mrs Sarah
Wright Mr John

INNS AND TAVERNS
Boot Wm. Somers
Bull’s Head, John Marshall
Mitre, Wm. Smithard
New Inn, John Watts
7 Royal Oak, Wm. Charlesworth
Shakspear, John Brown
Star, Peter Meakin
4 Swan, John Curzon Gamble

BEERHOUSES
7 Briggs John
4 Collier Thomas
Meakin John
Pountain Wm
Toplis Robert

ACADEMIES
British, Sarah Thorpe
Church, Jas. Parker and Mary Storer
Grammar, head master, Rev. T.W. Peile, D.D. ; 1st usher, Rev. John George Shepherd, M.A. ; 2nd usher, Rev. Jas. Garvey, M.A.
Wroughton Hannah

BAKERS
Jackson John
Robinson Josiah

BASKET MAKERS
Duddleston John
Meakin Charles
Meakin John
Moll Edward
Tonks Stringer

BLACKSMITHS
7 Briggs John
Eaton John
Jones John

BOOT & SHOE MAKERS
Bladon John & Jph
Johnson Samuel
Ratcliffe Wm
Smithard John
Somers Wm
Ward George
Wright Robert
4 Wright Robert

BUTCHERS
4 Haynes Thomas
Meakin George
Parker Thomas
Thorpe Thomas
Thorpe Wm

CLOG & PATTEN MAKERS
Eaton George
Marshall Henry
Thacker George

CORN MILLERS
Jackson Thomas
4 Somers Richard

FARMERS
4 Bryan John
1 Bull Wm
Draper John, and maltster
Heap Thomas
3 Mathews James
Measham Richard
2 Newbold John
6 Newbold Wm
4 Orchard Wm
Perry John, & farrier
Sheavyn Samuel
4 Shorthose Joseph
4 Smith Henry
Smith Seth, and land surveyor
4 Somers Elizabeth
6 Swan Wm
8 Thorpe Aaron
Thorpe John
Thorpe John, jun
6 Tomlinson James
Ward Bessy & Fanny
Ward John Whiteing
Ward Samuel
Wayte George
4 Wayte Henry
4 Wayte John
4 Wayte Mary
6 Woodward Wm

GARDENERS AND SEEDSMEN
Marshall John
Wroughton John

GROCERS & DRAPERS
Ordish Danl. & Sons
Thorpe John

JOINERS
Marked * are Wheelwrts
* Bull Richard
4 Dent John
Dolby Wm
* Peach Thomas
4 Roe Thomas
Ward Benjamin
4* Wheatcroft Sml

PAINTERS
Boultbee Jno. Rt
Collier Jn. & paperhgr
4 Gamble Jn. Curzon

PLUMBERS & GLAZIERS
Muggleston George
Muggleston James
Wroughton Thomas, and painter

SADDLERS
7 Charlesworth Wm
Smithard Wm
Smithard Wm. jun

SHOPKEEPERS
Brown John
4 Chadburn Zillah
4 Hardy Wm
Hawksworth Samuel
Measham Robert, and confectioner
Orchard John, and provision dealer
Parker Hannah
Watts John, & stone cutter
4 Wright Robert
Wroughton Ths. Hy

SURGEONS
Hewgill Arthur, M.D.
Hutchinson George

TAILORS
Dolman John
Measham Thomas
Palmer Wm
Turner Jph. & Jno.

CARRIER
Thomas Greaves to Derby, M.W. & F.


Back to Top of Page
Return to Bagshaw's 1846 Trade Directory Index Page
Return to the South Derbyshire Genealogical Resource Page
© 2000 Brett Payne